Author Topic: So... Where to from here?  (Read 14770 times)

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Re: So... Where to from here?
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 07:58:30 PM »
We'd have to use CoH symbolism, that would be enough to generate a C&D. again I don't want to be a downer,  really like the idea.

Its All A Nemesis Plot- swap the decks of both players and force them to shuffle three consecutive times :P

Floride

• Elite Boss
  • Badgehunter Extraordinaire
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 05:20:25 AM »
Mentioning words like "facebook" and "social-networking" tend to make people cringe. But... I think it would be nice if I could post onto my TN profile things like: my favorite CoH screenshots , and a section with "Threads I Follow", and maybe my own gaming blog. Not really like facebook, but more like deviantart.com where you have a profile you use to access the forums.
Basically just an expansion of the profiles we already have. That would be cool IMO.
History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2015, 08:01:47 AM »
Mentioning words like "facebook" and "social-networking" tend to make people cringe. But... I think it would be nice if I could post onto my TN profile things like: my favorite CoH screenshots , and a section with "Threads I Follow", and maybe my own gaming blog. Not really like facebook, but more like deviantart.com where you have a profile you use to access the forums.
Basically just an expansion of the profiles we already have. That would be cool IMO.

The gaming blog thing was what I was getting at in my earlier post. As far as I'm aware. There isn't a blogging community for gamers. Except for 1up but it seems more like a gaming journalist community. I want a place where I can post a screen shot of a purple drop and have people congrats me on it. LOL! Or talk about finally getting to level cap in this one game and have people talk about how brutal the grind was. ect...

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 10:20:28 AM »
The gaming blog thing was what I was getting at in my earlier post. As far as I'm aware. There isn't a blogging community for gamers. Except for 1up but it seems more like a gaming journalist community. I want a place where I can post a screen shot of a purple drop and have people congrats me on it. LOL! Or talk about finally getting to level cap in this one game and have people talk about how brutal the grind was. ect...

Yes indeed that would be cool to have a social networking site that's only for gamers, one in which politicians, propaganda, campaigns, ideologies or support there of and even famous people are not welcome unless they are purely talking Video-games.

Kick-backs could even be possible due to all the game advertisement!
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2015, 06:52:08 PM »
FYI: There exists both the official and a fan-made forum (for silver players) for CO and it has low activity levels. A refocus to CO might not be wise atm, unless a lot of you want to start making addon software all of a sudden.

Also, to address concerns about a wiki for CO, yes, a new one was started.
http://www.championswiki.com/index.php?title=Welcome_to_the_Champions_Online_Wiki
Spess

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2015, 07:27:11 PM »
If you are really thinking about opening up Titan Network, may I suggest expanding the Secret World area in the other games. I think if word gets out more people could/would play it. Could even get a podcast for it.
I also think the primary focus should still be with hero games such a Valiance and City of Titans. :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2015, 07:30:59 PM »
A project is a really cool idea, to me. But my practical side knows that it wouldn't really capture the attention of many people - just a dedicated few. Even if it was to make a computer game version of the existing CoH card game. Although that would be cool, too - especially if it had animations / images from the game itself of the powers / heroes.

The big hurdle for me is that I go directly to these forums, and usually directly to the threads I have bookmarked. You'd have to get attention to the new features somehow - when I got to cohtitan.com I realize I forgot to select the /forum URL and rapidly do so - the rest of the network doesn't hold much interest to me (other than the Wiki, but even that has my interest... waning, unfortunately).

I think this post sounds negative, but... really, for me, I try not to play computer games anymore, and I'm not sure I'd be able to dedicate time to a project, and I have no burning desire for more interaction than the forums give. So I just don't have any ideas for anything.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 01:24:27 AM »
I say expand into other games.  Doesn't really matter what kind.  It'll help people stay with this community even if they've given up MMO's entirely and gone into Steam or console games.
i agree, if Dulfy can handle covering 6 or 7 games on one site i'd think Titan Network can do the same.
While Champions Online is an obvious possibility i've seen more acquaintances who consider STO and TSW to be more like CoH. i haven't been playing TSW for a while, but in the MMO vein i have been playing FFXIV and ESO.
i like the idea of making Titan Network more of a social hub/resource for multiple games. i would be far more likely to invest more time in games like TSW if i knew more people who play it.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 07:53:42 AM »
Without creating a completely new site under a new name, the only thing that makes sense is broadening the scope while retaining the coverage of CoH and its successor projects. Otherwise why not just start a new, different project? The Titan Network wouldn't really be the Titan Network if you focused away from CoH.

And the most sensible area to broaden the scope would be to cover all of the current superhero MMOs - CO, DCUO, Marvel Heroes. If that ain't enough, perhaps add other games apparently liked by ex-CoHers, such as STO or TSW.

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 04:55:54 PM »
Doesn't have to be just super hero MMOs - could be any and all super hero games in general.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 05:27:17 PM »
There are non-MMO superhero games out there? The last I remember was Freedom Force :D

Not counting the last Saint's Row heh heh.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 05:50:02 PM »
Mate, I'm fine with the titan network being a coh only thing with an other games section here on the forums but If you decide to choose another game or games for the community to play you should put a poll up and get votes.

FlyingCarcass

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 07:52:36 PM »
There are non-MMO superhero games out there? The last I remember was Freedom Force :D

Well, some non-MMO superhero games in my collection are:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance
Crackdown
Marvel Rise of the Imperfects
Injustice Gods Among Us
Batman Arkham City
Hulk Ultimate Destruction
Ultimate Spider-Man

...and I know there are many more out there like Prototype, Marvel VS Capcom, and Infamous. So aye, there's a bunch of superhero games out there.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 11:04:45 PM »

umm... I couldn't put my character from Saint Row on social media. I did horrible horrible things to him.....

Zombie Hustler

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2015, 02:17:39 AM »
Just my kneejerk reaction to the suggestion of refocusing, but for some reason the notion of CoH's "Real World Heroes" community efforts comes to mind. Wouldn't it be cool to expand things from the virtual world into our own a bit?

Mind you, this is coming from someone who is really only a tangential participant in the community (and mostly solo'ed in the game) and I have no idea what the interest level or logistics of trying to make things a more community/volunteer oriented website/organization/structure would take, but for the idea of going from playing heroes to "being" heroes- in some means- seems like a worthy venture to undertake. Perhaps connected to the "social networking" idea that has been floated in this thread?

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 02:30:43 AM »
Just my kneejerk reaction to the suggestion of refocusing, but for some reason the notion of CoH's "Real World Heroes" community efforts comes to mind. Wouldn't it be cool to expand things from the virtual world into our own a bit?

Mind you, this is coming from someone who is really only a tangential participant in the community (and mostly solo'ed in the game) and I have no idea what the interest level or logistics of trying to make things a more community/volunteer oriented website/organization/structure would take, but for the idea of going from playing heroes to "being" heroes- in some means- seems like a worthy venture to undertake. Perhaps connected to the "social networking" idea that has been floated in this thread?

Oh hey, that's... a really good idea. A really REALLY good idea.

Surelle

« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2015, 04:22:42 AM »
If you wanted to keep Titan Network superhero-themed, you could have one section for Massively Multiplayer hero games, one for any sort of multiplayer/co-op superhero games, one for single player superhero games, and another section for superhero movies.  (Big Hero 6 was fantastic, by the way!)  People could post (spoiler-free) reviews or even sale info when one of the brick and mortars or online sellers puts any of those games or movies on sale.  Superhero movies in particular seem to be all the rage in both live-action and Disney/Pixar/Marvel animation.  I'll bet a forum section like that would blow up in no  time.  And how many of us are looking for family movies to take the kids to see, or looking for presents for same?  See what I mean?

Then maybe you could also have a larger "General MMO" section, too, so that people here could talk about the other MMOs they play like TOR, TSW, Tera, LoTRO, FFXIV, Everquest 2 etc.  If there were life-changing patches coming (Elder Scrolls Online's major Thieves' Guild/Justice System launch a couple days ago combined with its switch to B2P come March 17th, and its new-gen console launches in June 2015 come to mind here), then whomever plays the game affected could comment on it. 

Open beta opinions on incoming MMOs or expansions could be talked about in that General MMO section, too.

And then that same section could also make room for the new crop of MMO hybrids like Destiny, Blizzard's Overwatch (which looks fun to me anyway) to get some mention, too.

Maybe this crazy crew might find a game or two to meet up in and post our progress on as we go.  We could even make Titan guilds!   ;D   Heck, I'm in the Heroes of the Storm beta right now with my daughter, and I can't wait for Overwatch.  That kind of a general MMO section could really take off.

Well, they're all ideas anyway.  Hopefully CoX will get rezzed and Atlas Park Revival will also come to be, but meantime, maybe we won't go as stir crazy if we can organize together better in game X, or at least tell others about games X, Y and Z without disrupting CoX threads.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 04:35:06 AM by Surelle »

Felderburg

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 10:05:03 PM »

I am also more of a "tangential" participant, as I noted above, but something like this, if it were to become rather more engaging, would certainly help pull my interest back in a bit. When CoH was around, I didn't necessarily have a lot of money to donate. But now that I'm more inclined to donate (I mean, I still don't have $, but I've decided a few small bits here and there are good) I would be more liable to participate.

However, there are two issues, both stemming from a lack of participation.

Issue 1: By having the Real World Hero event tied specifically to a game that no longer exists, you don't get much participation, not only from people donating, but also from the boost in donations that word-of-mouth gives you. If you go to the website (http://realworldhero.com/) you can see that the 2013 drive brought in 9 donors (assuming no donors gave to multiple charities) and $185. Compared to the almost $30,000 it raised in its first three years.

Solution: Tie Real World Hero into any superhero MMO - perhaps any superhero game. This keeps the theme of "hero" relevant, as well as the group's origins in the gaming community (Obviously a charity need not be defined as or limited to "superhero gamers" but if you go too broad in scope, you just become United Way). Now, I did find a thread in the CO forums about the 2012 event, with no replies. So the solution is only as good as the people from other gaming communities let it be. To be sure, a concerted effort by the people that run RWH in the form of a media blitz, and really pushing knowledge of the charity, could help, but if we believe our own hype about the CoH community there may not be much support, even with an expanded scope. Even so, I think it's worth a shot.

Issue 2: Because the RWH charity was tied to a yearly donation drive, this limits the scope to a specific time frame, and to people that have money they are willing to donate. I understand that this is an issue any charity will face, but when you combine this with the limits of the first issue (being tied to a dead game) you get a charity event that is not going to draw much money or participation.

Solution Idea 1: Following the expansion of RWH's scope to any and all super powered games (MMO and otherwise), put out a call for people who want their worthy causes donated to. This could be someone from DCUO who works for a charity and asks for it to be part of RWH, or it could be someone who plays Arkham Asylum that got hit by a car and wants help with the bills. Regardless, community-suggested things are probably likely to gain more interest from people in that community. So you have monthly (or whatever interval) drives, rotating among communities. So ideally, you get people from CO donating a bit more when the CO cause comes up, and DCUO people donating when the DCUO issue comes up - and then the high rollers donating a little bit for every cause, regardless of originating community. More participation, more people, more money for charity.

Solution Idea 2 (This is a grand idea and I think it's super keen): Hopefully RWH gets up and running as a source of charitable donations again. But even if it doesn't, I think there's a real good potential for a community of actual "Real World Heroes" - people who dress up as heroes for charitable events and causes. I did some Googling, and there's not a lot out there, as far as large, pan-community groups (I found a DC specific one (http://justiceleaguehq.com/) and a national running event, which is just a one-time thing in the cities it visits (http://thesuperrun.com/)).

So here's my thinking: using the existing Real World Hero page, we gather groups of like-minded volunteers across the nation / world, and help them create groups of charitable costumed crusaders, appearing at various events or places to help raise money / spread inspiration for those events. Additionally, we would ideally expand from appearances by volunteer fans to helping coordinate charity appearances from actors who portray heroes in movies / tv shows. Simple google searches involving the words "charity" and "hero" tend to bring up the Chris Pratt / Chris Evans events; this is the sort of thing I'm thinking of - not just from celebrities, but also from the volunteers.

Now, if you look at the Justice League HQ page, and their flagship group JL Arizona, you can see that they're (ostensibly) DC-only, and the national group is not even necessarily charity-only. Their charter is based on the 501st Legion charter, which makes a certain amount of sense - it provides structure, and membership requirements, and a certain standard of costuming. I envision a group with similar activity and quality requirements, that focuses solely on charity events and appearances by any superhero. This would be best done through local member groups, overseen by national organizers, but could also have an "All-Star" squad that participates in the form of a non-profit, going throughout the country to appear at events.

So not only would you have regular charitable donations, in the form of money or super-hero toys, but you would also have literal "Real World Heroes" going around supporting worthy causes.

Of course, all of this is just be spit-balling ideas. I don't know who's in charge of the Real World Hero site, or if they would want to expand from being a CoH charity drive to something with an expanded scope. Additionally, because RWH is already a separate site, I wonder how much it would actually be incorporated into the Titan Network.

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2015, 09:12:26 PM »
I'd say changing the focus of the forums to a place where former CoH players to continue to connect and talk about the various games that they are playing now. Or anything else they're doing.

Which is kinda what it's already become at this point.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2015, 02:47:10 PM »
More concrete news will start trickling out of the successor projects any time now. You're getting restless right before the Golden Age, Tony. And if you're not patient, you'll wander off, and try to be all of these things that TN isn't. (Ever hear of Stratics? No? Well, I guess that's why history tends to repeat itself.)

Or don't be patient. Get started now. The successor projects already post news updates all the time, all three of them. Not to mention tidbits that devs drop on their respective forums. So where's the TN lore wikis? Where's the TN news page? If you've got the energy, momentum, dedication to build the next generic MMO community news site, surely you've got what it takes to build a dedicated community site and hype machine around our community's three games as they work toward launching?

But I don't know. Every comment above seems to be saying, yeah, go get into other things. Move on. OK. Do that. Makes me sad, but I'll admit, I'm that guy who turns out the lights. Maybe that's a hangup. Good luck in your adventures, man.