Author Topic: Beware Purchasing Android Tablets!  (Read 3850 times)

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
Beware Purchasing Android Tablets!
« on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:55 AM »
Tiring of issues with my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9" device, I (apparently very foolishly) decided to "upgrade" to the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (64GB).

If you subscribe to Amazon Instant Videos in any fashion - you are screwed.  According to Amazon Tech Support (who I just spoke to), they explicitly DISALLOW any playback of their video on ANY tablets - except theirs, of course.

Buyer beware!  I've filed a return for this expensive $750 paperweight.  And I was really looking forward to owning a large tablet.

Anyone know if this issue affects tablet PCs?  And any possible recommendations on purchasing something else?

Thanks.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
Re: Beware Purchasing Android Tablets!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 04:43:36 AM »
Before you send it back, look for an app called Amazon Shopping.  I thought I read somewhere that you could install Amazon Instant Video via Amazon Shopping.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 04:52:19 AM »
Before you send it back, look for an app called Amazon Shopping.  I thought I read somewhere that you could install Amazon Instant Video via Amazon Shopping.
Appreciate the tip - but, that was the first thing I tried.  The other "hack" is supposed to be installing the Dolphin browser, along with Dolphin Jetpack, and Adobe Flash, and then adjusting the settings to ensure that Adobe Flash is always on.  Alas, that didn't work, either.  (The KitKat 4.4 OS is apparently particularly troublesome on this issue.)

I liked having a tablet, I really did, for over 2 years.  It was very convenient, but...it looks like I'll have to go back to lugging around a laptop and purchasing hardcopy books to take with me places to read on the grounds that I'd love a tablet THAT ACTUALLY BLEEPING WORKS!

Amazon tech support finally sent me a replacement HDX when they got tired of dealing my dozenth or so tech support call and finally admitted there was something wrong with my device that they couldn't diagnose.  I foolishly thought this would a good time to upgrade to something else.  Well, I was wrong about that...

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:24:01 AM »
IMO the moral of the story should instead be "Beware Subscribing to Amazon Instant Video", because of their draconian and frankly outdated attempts to lock you in to their branded hardware.

There's absolutely no reason they couldn't make an Android app available. One already exists, they just choose to withhold it out of pure greed. It's even sillier when you consider they make an iOS app for iPads.

Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Plex work great on my Android tablets. There is even a Kindle app for Android, but not instant video...

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:29:24 AM »
IMO the moral of the story should instead be "Beware Subscribing to Amazon Instant Video", because of their draconian and frankly outdated attempts to lock you in to their branded hardware.

There's absolutely no reason they couldn't make an Android app available. One already exists, they just choose to withhold it out of pure greed. It's even sillier when you consider they make an iOS app for iPads.

Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Plex work great on my Android tablets. There is even a Kindle app for Android, but not instant video...
Hard to disagree.  Netflix and Kindle were quickly installed and worked great.  Dowloading from my Amazon Cloud storage to the local documents directory worked decently as well.  I was astonished to realize that I couldn't watch anything from Amazon on it.

I'm wondering if going the iPad route would have any success.  I might head 'round to the local Apple store over at the mall and ask a series of detailed (and dare I say pointed) questions about the abilities of their largest tablet.

Vee

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:08:39 AM »
You should start pirating everything you want to watch and send pics to amazon of you watching them.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 08:38:30 AM »
I found this out after I got Amazon Prime around Christmas time (don't look at me like that, everyone outsources nowadays).  I have a Nexus 7 2013 and was miffed that Amazon Video is only allowed on phones.

That's OK, that's what my smart TV is for.  Various video services on my tablet are questionable at best.  And lets not talk about ABC's video app.  It got upgraded so it barely works on anyone's tablet now and only if you jump through a series of hoops and know the secret handshake.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

hurple

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »

I can also watch items from my TIVO on my Galaxy tablet anywhere I have WiFi.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »
kindlefire is just another android device... there's got to be a workaround, some API that Amazon is using that you could hack into the samsung (or any other tablet) to engage amazon video services.

but yeah, the entire industry is going this way Microsoft is doing it with skype, samsung won't release udated drivers for its s-pen apps so that their devices can be rooted and still work, Apple of course pretty much created the idea of the walled garden ecosystem. Truly the Pax Microsoftia, when everything just friggin worked, is over.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »
You should start pirating everything you want to watch and send pics to amazon of you watching them.

^^^^ This.  And bonus points for the remark about sending pics to Amazon.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 12:01:43 AM »
^^^^ This.  And bonus points for the remark about sending pics to Amazon.
I confess the idea has some appeal.  As it stands, I've got a friend who builds computers for a living searching for...esoteric software possibilities to enable Amazon Instant Video to play on my tablet; he convinced me to give it a "stay of execution" while he looks for a work-around.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 02:16:39 AM »
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 02:37:23 AM »
Wait... You can't just enable Amazon Instant Video inside the Amazon app for Android?
Well, yes, that was the first thing that occurred to me - it's not available for the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (64GB, Black).  I kept trying to find this app in Google Play, but it would not show up for me.  I finally went directly to the app install page on Amazon and it said that my device was not supported.

...and that started an evening of research, attempted work-arounds, more research, and lots and lots of swearing at both Amazon and Samsung.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 03:46:01 AM »
For the record, if anyone here can help me resolve this issue, I am willing to pay for the assistance.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 05:05:24 AM »
Well, yes, that was the first thing that occurred to me - it's not available for the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 (64GB, Black).  I kept trying to find this app in Google Play, but it would not show up for me.  I finally went directly to the app install page on Amazon and it said that my device was not supported.

Ooooh.  OK, that makes more sense, then.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2015, 04:12:39 PM »
Looked in to it a bit last night. A lot of the problem is Android 4.4 and newer specifically stripped out the underpinnings for Flash. This makes sense, Flash hasn't technically been supported in Android since 4.1 launched, this was a decision made by Adobe back in 2011 and executed in 2012 when it stopped producing Flash for mobile. Since then, Google has largely been building Android's underpinnings around Linux, HTML5, and Java.

So Amazon has to be running some kind of mutant custom build of the flash player on its Fire devices, since everything I read says that the app itself relies on it and many f amazons videos are still in flash. (which is asinine when even youtube has switched largely to newer open formats like webM and HTML5 VIDEO for many of its videos and its library is easily ten times the size of Amazon's)

If you've tried Dolphin, and you've tried the hacked flashplayer, then you've tried all the solutions that I found. The articles I read said they only work on certain 4.4 devices anyways, because Adobe only has a few flash-certified android devices on its list: IE the ones who have been built with the Adobe Flash code reinserted into their firmware. It seems that, according to some articles anyway, that the Amazon Player apps call home and get a hardware list from Amazon, and blacklist anything classified as a "tablet," but will still work on most phones. This means that even if you use some tricks like side-loading the phone version of the app (installing remotely form your PC or an SD card) , it still won't work.

Damned walled gardens. the note 12 is a decent tablet otherwise for its price range.

:Edit: another thread on XDA reports a few new things...

firstly, make sure of what version of Android you're using (under settings, about device, software), as above, 4.4 has Flash issues, 5.0 has lots of video issues, which is why Amazon may be rejecting it as well. Apparently people have it running on 5.01 and 5.02 and other android versions.

then, try this set of very specific (order is important) instructions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoton0815

I got it working.

1. Deinstall amazon app from your device.
2. Install the amazon app-shop from amazon website (i used this URL: http://www.amazon.de/gp/mas/get/andr...g=an-artikel21)
3. Install the amazon app from the app-shop app (!not Form Google play store)
4. install the amazon instant Video app from amazon app-shop app
5. have fun watching videos

Good luck. Greetz

Sent from my Nexus 9 using XDA Free mobile app
I saw in a tread for a different device that the issue is very device-specific... some like the kindle-fire will play just fine, but others like the nexus9 and the note12 have myriad issues. So again, this is Amazon running some proprietary stuff cooked right in to the core of their app and their version of android for the kindle. most reliable solution I have seen listed is the above steps, and then make sure that when your tablet starts up, start Instant Video first to make sure it is at the front of any memory cues for usage.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 04:34:05 PM by Eoraptor »
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2015, 04:48:25 PM »
Eoraptor - thanks much for looking into this.  I'll pass what you've looked up on to my tech support friend.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »
Well let us know if you have any outcome :) I know a lot of people who bougt various ceap tablets over the last month during walmart's fire sale pricing, who would like to play amazon video on their new galaxy notes, and nuubis, and huwei's
-Lex Luthor

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
Well let us know if you have any outcome :) I know a lot of people who bougt various ceap tablets over the last month during walmart's fire sale pricing, who would like to play amazon video on their new galaxy notes, and nuubis, and huwei's
The outcome is...I've decided to keep it, even knowing that it's just not possible to watch Amazon Instant Video on it.  The other functions, and the screen size outweigh this drawback for me, I've decided.  However, now I'm working on trying to hack Root access on this thing, so that I can expand the RAM.  I think we'll manage to pull that off, then I can buy this German software RAM expander app and bump up the default 3 GB RAM to something like 12 GB.  (It comes with 64 GB storage and I've already purchased and installed another 64 GB memory expansion.)

And who knows, maybe within a year or so I'll manage to find a way to get Amazon Instant Video working on it.

So, in the end, if you're looking to watch Amazon Instant Video - then Android tablets aren't the path you want to take.