Author Topic: Don't Die: Just a little horror game I made...  (Read 1729 times)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
Don't Die: Just a little horror game I made...
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:14:53 PM »
I'm releasing the demo of the first full level for Don't Die (working title...), and you can now download it from here.

About the game's purpose:

I spent approximately just over a week putting this together as a test of my skills. The game was made partially by recycling some 3D assets from other projects(The hand mesh that's holding the flashlight), but mostly by assembling new assets(not all of which are included in this level sadly as there just wasn't time). I gathered a handful of textures from CGTextures.com and edited/repurposed some of them for this project, and assembled the main level over the course of about 3 and a half days. The game mechanics and UI elements took about a day and a half, and the creature which I've taken to calling Timmy, took about a day to model, rig, and get working in-game.

The Game itself:

You're trapped in an old abandoned lab facility, and the door you came in through locked behind you, so you need to find another way out. But careful, monsters be stalking you!

There's a number of "documents" scattered throughout the level which gives small insights into game's story, but are not required to "win". All you need to do to "win" is survive, and find the exit! Can you make it out alive?

P.S.
I'm limited on computers that I can test this game with, so I'm looking for any kind of feedback possible on how the game runs, what your system specifications are if it's running slow, and other related information. Currently, all I know is that you need at least Windows Vista (according to the compiler) to run it, and at least a DirectX 11 compatible video card(according to my failed attempt to try running it on my brother's Windows 7 computer with a fairly dated graphics card...), so any other input I can get on what can/can't handle running the game would be helpful for including minimum/recommended specifications in with the ReadMe file for future versions...

I know it's no replacement for City of Heroes, but hey, it'll kill about a half hour to an hour of time at least, which is not bad for a game slapped together in a week...

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
Re: Don't Die: Just a little horror game I made...
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 09:11:51 PM »
Interesting idea, I'll check it out
Twill indeed be interesting to see what you could do with a larger project too. :)

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
Interesting idea, I'll check it out
Twill indeed be interesting to see what you could do with a larger project too. :)

I have 2 larger game projects and 1 rather time consuming book series project right now, but as the word "larger" somewhat implies, they're taking a LOT longer to get progress on due to the more advanced mechanics that they require.

Getting Spritehaven's Character Creation system figured out, for example, took me a few months to piecemeal together, and I recently broke it again with the inclusion of some NPCs which caused some unexpected issues with how all the characters' colored materials were handled...

Shenku

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 04:57:31 AM »
Uploaded an updated version to the download page with a graphic settings menu to help with some framerate issues some folks were having for the settings being at max by default...