Author Topic: cannow get Icon to run on my desktop (solved)  (Read 1584 times)

cohRock

• Lieutenant
    • Rich's Tepid Home Page
cannow get Icon to run on my desktop (solved)
« on: June 30, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »
Never mind -- installing current video drivers allows icon to run.  Not even a complaint about outdated video driver, which I used to always get while game was active (even after making sure drivers were current).  I got blue screen of death during the installation process, so I'm pretty sure the whole ATI Catalyst stack is incomplete.  It did get thru the display driver portion, and last part I remember seeing was HDMI audio.  Sigh.  Have to try a re-reinstall, I guess.

---- skip unless bored or desperate ----
With Paragon Chat revving up, I thought I'd finally get Icon up and running.  Sigh, it will not run on my desktop, but it does run on my Samsung notebook.  The i24 beta files are exactly the same; I copied them from my desktop to the notebook.  Also, while the game was still available, these files and drivers did allow playing the game with no problems, although it did always complain about outdated drivers as the game started up.

The desktop runs Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.  Since Microsoft info windows don't allow copying text, a lot of the information I'll provide will be in the form of images.  So here is the basic system info for the desktop:

The problem may relate to its video card or drivers.  The graphics are driven by an ATI Radeon HD 5700 series chip.  Software info:

Driver Packaging Version   9.012-121219a-152192C-ATI
Catalyst Version   13.1
Provider   Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
2D Driver Version   8.01.01.1278
Direct3D Version   9.14.10.0945
OpenGL Version   6.14.10.12002
AMD VISION Engine Control Center Version   2012.1219.1521.27485

(yeah, don't mean anything to me either...)

As Icon/CoH starts up, I took 3 screen shots to document the errors:

Note that the date on the driver (12-19-2012) is more recent than cityofheroes.exe, dated 08-23-2012.  So I think the real problem is not an old driver, but maybe the ATI graphics itself.

After clicking the final [OK], the program quits cleanly.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem is or how to fix it?  BTW, I am about to install the latest video driver, which will likely require a reboot.  So I'll send this now, and report results in next post.  I don't think it will help, because updating the driver never stopped CoH from complaining about outdated drivers on this machine.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 05:00:03 PM by Aggelakis »
-- Rich