Author Topic: They couldn't get any more boneheaded.....  (Read 5268 times)

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
They couldn't get any more boneheaded.....
« on: July 03, 2015, 04:09:33 AM »
....than locking a power behind a lockbox.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/champions-online/news/detail/9437053-champions-online%3A-new-gravity-driver-ultimate-power

We knew this day would come, we feared it for a long time but now the worst has come to pass, where now it's powers behind lockboxes, this may only mean we'll eventually only see content in general exclusively behind lockboxes.

The game is either choking on it's last breaths on it's last customers and they are trying to milk the suckers before shutdown, or they are seeing how much they can push their fanboys without driving them away.  Either way, it's a stupid move.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
Re: They couldn't get any more boneheaded.....
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 05:28:13 AM »
Or..

The power is only mid level rarity and is tradable and unlocks for the owner's entire account so eventually everyone will have it that wants it and you won't hardly be able to give it away.

Sheeeesh, breeeeathe LA  : ). Is it because they shut down CoH out of the blue that you're always looking for the 7th Sign?

People have been posting here since I started playing CO that the sky is falling and there it is, still up there. I would have been worrying for over 3 years now if I bought into the first CO is going to die soon post I ever read and all the ones after it. Three years of hand wringing. For nothing.

>>

On the subject of lockboxes.... (edit:) nahhh.. I'm gonna keep it short so I deleted my lockbox opinion.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 06:23:59 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 02:57:01 PM »
I'm not sure which bothers me more; devs scamming their players with lockboxes, that we participate in being scammed, or reading things like this from people who should know better: "... Gravity Driver brings down a massive crushing pillar of force down on your enemies".

Maybe I need another CO break.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 02:59:49 PM »
Or..

The power is only mid level rarity and is tradable and unlocks for the owner's entire account so eventually everyone will have it that wants it and you won't hardly be able to give it away.

Sheeeesh, breeeeathe LA  : ). Is it because they shut down CoH out of the blue that you're always looking for the 7th Sign?

People have been posting here since I started playing CO that the sky is falling and there it is, still up there. I would have been worrying for over 3 years now if I bought into the first CO is going to die soon post I ever read and all the ones after it. Three years of hand wringing. For nothing.

>>

On the subject of lockboxes.... (edit:) nahhh.. I'm gonna keep it short so I deleted my lockbox opinion.

The game quality has only gone down and thats the core reason I do post here.  I don't dare post in the CO forums cause even when I do say anything positive or give any constructive criticism of the game, some butthead who continually stalks me has to try and derail everything I say within a heartbeat and within MINUTES of my saying ANYTHING AT ALL.  Thing is, I'm whistle-blowing on this game for the things it does.  Remember they hicked the prices up on EXISTING costumes, released a costume in a horribly poor state when it was a contest winner concept, and before likewise had previously baited and switched with vehicles.

The new power is still behind a lock box, to, that in of itself is a piss-poor move.  Only a fool would support decisions like this as it's a horribly slippery slope, later it'll be powersets that are just better than existing sets, then later it'll be content ect thats locked behind lockboxes.  People have been joking about it for three years now for a REASON.  They feared crap like this would come up.  Lets not forget how low demand is for CO now, it's only going to lower it further.

I'm mighty glad paragon chat is coming up since I only roleplay when I log into CO anymore anyways, and i'll be able to make characters as I envisioned them thanks to CoX allowing us to have more then one face texture.

I want city of heroes to come back, yes, but I do not believe the shutdown of CO is even remotely tied to that. 

In fact, I want CO to survive until CoX comes back.  But every stupid little thing is adding up on CO now and I fear it'll shut down long before then.  The prices of everything in CO is going up and players are leaving at the same time, this is exactly what a death-spiral is.  If you don't see that they are just trying to exploit the remaining players then your blind.  Lets also not forget, we are seeing very few zones of MC left.  I remember way back when there was around 10+ MC zones now people are reporting 2-3.  With the population in those 2-3 being significantly depleted already even at peak hours.  The games in a death-spiral.  People leave so they come up with a newer more expensive thing to milk the remaining people which drives a few more away.  It's sad and pretty pathetic.

And actually even more-so with competition making progress everywhere and getting ever closer to being real competition again.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 03:00:54 PM »
I'm not sure which bothers me more; devs scamming their players with lockboxes, that we participate in being scammed, or reading things like this from people who should know better: "... Gravity Driver brings down a massive crushing pillar of force down on your enemies".

Maybe I need another CO break.

I only post what I post to express how bothered I am at the whole situation, CO is a game I always wanted to see improve and still do, but they've done nothing right recently and have just done increasingly worst things :(.

Edit: I'm not wholly surprised, but I was still dismayed when I read the article above.

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 06:31:38 PM »
I don't think this will hurt the game, but one power, an ultimate at that, seems a bit meager. Let's take this as an experiment.
Spess

Castegyre

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 08:11:43 PM »
It is an experiment. They're trying to see how much they can get away with by making players pay to gamble. And I don't mean that to be rude, it's just what it is.

When it becomes many powers, power sets, etc, rotated in and out of availability we'll see how far people will let them go.

I'm still constantly surprised how so many people are willing to shell out money regularly for new ships in STO, personally, but people are so good for Cryptic. I don't see that as much different to be honest.

I really don't mind paying to be entertained. It's in the way the company gets me to pay that I start having problems.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 02:29:24 AM »
I don't mind having to buy this power. I'd sure rather do that than what I have to do to get Rocket Punch and AotM.. How much is there to buy in the AE that you don't already have anyway?

I predict it will be under 200 G even when it's new and I further predict it will be under 20 G when it's not. Possibly ~ the 5 G mark. I also predict that if my predictions are wrong (it's an unpopular lockbox or whatever) and there is a short supply of this power and there is an ensuing outrage that some change will happen so everyone gets what they want.

Sheesh guys, overreact much? All the best stuff is *already* in lockboxes since yeeeeaaaars now. You don't win stuff in CO (as a rule..) you buuuuuy it.

If you can't fight the urge to buy keys with cash and open boxes until you get whatever new thing is out then that is a whole other problem.

Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 04:11:38 AM »
We have to see how the whole thing plays out.

If they would have done it like a legacy device that someone had to buy keys for to get Drifter salvage... then they are still selling keys and everyone gets the power for a reasonable price. As-is, there is going to be a finite number of Ravenswood lockboxes.

Maybe it's supposed to be exciting when the Ravenswood lockboxes are over with and the power pops up again in a new lockbox.. *shrug*..

We can if and maybe it to death. They're trying something new...

The game is still fun. Fun people still play it. Sky, still up there.

Some Faves:

Brou

• Elite Boss
  • Inspector of Tasties
    • Blog
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 03:10:53 AM »
A few power changes have hit PTS, and NO, it is not going live this week.
Spess

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 04:12:46 AM »
I just got my builds down for the most part and have no FF slots free so I'm in noooo hurry.
Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2015, 08:03:17 PM »
edit: I was copying stuff from this post and accidentally totally screwed it up...

Quote from: Xev on July 04, 2015, 02:29:24 am

I predict it will be under 200 G even when it's new and I further predict it will be under 20 G when it's not. Possibly ~ the 5 G mark.

This is AE pricing of course and we're on day 5 (?) (first time I checked was last night)..

I bet we see this at closer to 100 soon enough and I stick by the 5g thing,

Why they are linking a permanent power to a temporary lockbox is beyond me at this point.

Possibly...

Quote from: Xev on July 04, 2015, 04:11:38 am

Maybe it's supposed to be exciting when the Ravenswood lockboxes are over with and the power pops up again in a new lockbox.. *shrug*..

Or to keep it from being 5g.

I plan to get it eventually, to have it, but I don't plan to use it. 3 second charge and 30+ second recharge (on a fastish recharge build) isn't appealing to me at this time.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 02:05:36 AM by Xev »
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2015, 03:21:30 AM »
I decided to hell with it and try it out since it was down to 300g.  I'll say, I regret that decision.  The debuff is short lived and while it's magnitude is fine, it's just not good enough for any competent build.  Even with a high cooldown reduct build I can only get the cooldown to 40 some seconds and it's blast radious, while large, it's just not a useful factor.

It's only redeeming quality is it looks good.

I bought it for 300g so others wouldn't have to.  Only logic behind it.  I feel like a sucker for it but, hopefully others in these forums will see this opinion of it.

So for the pros:
It's got a long stun.  The only redeeming trait. (+3, since it's 6 seconds!)
It's debuff can help a team. (+1)
It's cheap for it's damage. (+1)
It'll hit a wide area....but... (+1)

The Cons:
....Enemies are rarely numerous or wide spread enough for the last pro to be useful. (-2, area of effect is so wide it's wasted, make it smaller and then use that gain in "balance" points to make something better)
Cooldown is to long, pushing into impractical already. (-3, why not remove the damage and make it's stun longer, adjust cooldown slightly)
It's got a horrible charge time, such anything not a master villain or higher will be dead in a team long before you land it.(-5, this is as bad of a killer as the above, what good is it if what you were going to use it on has already died in a competent team?)
It's damage is only good for killing henchmen and insufficient for villains or higher. (-2, insufficient damage due to the above).

In other words, it's one of those "Awesome yet impractical" abilities.  It's better than most of the crappy tier 4 powers(certainly beats the pants off of the other energy projector tier 4), but it's just not all that usable or useful.  It's a stun, and thats about it.  And it's cooldown is such I wouldn't be surprised if anything you'd want to stun in a team is dead long before you land it.

The bottom line is, the developers simply forgot to make the power usable.

It shouldn't be worth 10 locals :).  But thats just me whenever I speak of anything that doesn't work well in practice.

Edit: And course, the biggest con of all to make it unwieldy is it's lockbox problem.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 05:16:55 AM »
See, it didn't turn out to be a big deal to get and isn't that big of a deal itself after all.

I wouldn't write it off as useless yet. There's a lot of ingenuitous builders out there. We'll have to see what people do with it. The large long lasting debuff may have some potential for boss fights, especially on a super high recharge build or chained by more than one team/'raid' member. Chaining this power in general has potential for mayhem.
Some Faves:

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2015, 03:34:47 AM »
Trouble is, if it's OP, they'd nerf it to uselessness when one of the try hard scrubs cry about it.  So that arguement is pointless.  If it is revealed unusable as I believe it is, people feel ripped off.  Either way, it's a lose/lose situation.

Go figure, though, glad Paragon chat exists now, no need to ever bother roleplaying in CO ever again.  Paragon chat already has more roleplayers in it than CO has left, and it's only going to get better and only has one way to move forward; up.  CO just keeps trying to dig downwards when it's already hit rock bottom.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 01:30:13 AM »
Totally no offence but I have to say that I have no idea where all your overall negativity comes from on a plethora of CO topics, oh Laughing one. Maybe it's just how you come off and I read it wrong. Just getting that out there due to it's boggled me for awhile now how you play the game and put all that thought into it but never outright post anything about it you do for fun.

I'm glad you Did find something fun that I could walk away with, here. Paragon Chat = Roleplaying Yum.

CoH/Liberty channel helped to cure me of roleplaying when I came back to online gaming after a few years break but previously I used to always RP. I can't ever remember calling it RP I just did it.

Some Faves:

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 01:56:36 AM »

I predict it will be under 200 G even when it's new and I further predict it will be under 20 G when it's not. Possibly ~ the 5 G mark.

This is AE pricing of course and we're on day 5 (?) (first time I checked was last night)..

I bet we see this at closer to 100 soon enough and I stick by the 5g thing,

Not bad forecasting huh??? /sefbackpatmode: /on

I dunno about 5G but I'll stick to 5-20, or maybe even 20-50. We'll have to see what they do with lockbox availability.
Some Faves:

DarkCurrent

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 02:53:48 AM »
Has anyone considered buying the Champions IP?