Author Topic: Videogame pictures and references please  (Read 5955 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Videogame pictures and references please
« on: August 18, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
Hi, I'm working on my thesis and needs some references and examples, I will update this post with the most recent stuff I need. all help is appreciated!

1: I need a picture or video showing City of heroes' Pophelp feature. - Blondeshell and Blackout Delivered, with fun from Waffles.

2: video of the 20 minute opening Cutscene from metal gear solid 2. - Felderburg Delivered!

that's all I can think of at this moment. again thanks for any help I can get.

Update, Need image of the mission door marker (the arrow thing with the distance between you and the mission)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:03:02 PM by Joshex »
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Waffles

• Elite Boss
Re: Videogame pictures and references please
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:51:49 PM »
1: I need a picture or video showing City of heroes' Pophelp feature.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 09:11:48 PM »
Hi, I'm working on my thesis and needs some references and examples, I will update this post with the most recent stuff I need. all help is appreciated!

1: I need a picture or video showing City of heroes' Pophelp feature.

that's all I can think of at this moment. again thanks for any help I can get.

By Pophelp are you talking about some part of the UI? If so I don't recall any help panel of any sort I even looked up a few videos that feature the UI being used and it seems my memory is at least somewhat accurate in this regard. If its something else I might be able to find something though. :)

Also Goddammit Waffles XD

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 12:12:16 PM »

Lol I suppose that one way to interpret pophelp!

By Pophelp are you talking about some part of the UI? If so I don't recall any help panel of any sort I even looked up a few videos that feature the UI being used and it seems my memory is at least somewhat accurate in this regard. If its something else I might be able to find something though. :)

Also Goddammit Waffles XD

I mean the new feature they put in only a few issues before the shut down, it made those annoying red exclamation points pop up on the right side of the screen and when clicked they opened a small window that attempted to explain things.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 12:44:56 PM »
http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Pop_Help

Yes, this feature! however as this is for a Thesis for University, they do not allow wiki links as references, so if possible it would be nice to gt a picture of a pop-help window open. I realize it may be hard to get at this point.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 01:13:43 PM »
Yes, this feature! however as this is for a Thesis for University, they do not allow wiki links as references, so if possible it would be nice to gt a picture of a pop-help window open. I realize it may be hard to get at this point.

The pictures are on the wiki page itself. You can just click on them to access them. If however, you are worrying about having to cite paragon wiki as a source in your bibliography then I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about it, after all its not like your straight up referencing wikipedia. Paragon wiki is its own thing and at this point its likely the single most reliable source for city of heroes information.

That said your tutors or examiners may not understand that, but maybe you could site the user that uploaded the pictures as a source? Just a thought. I don't know what course your on or what subject your doing this for so I'm afraid I don't know how lenient they'll be. :(

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »
The pictures are on the wiki page itself. You can just click on them to access them. If however, you are worrying about having to cite paragon wiki as a source in your bibliography then I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about it, after all its not like your straight up referencing wikipedia. Paragon wiki is its own thing and at this point its likely the single most reliable source for city of heroes information.

That said your tutors or examiners may not understand that, but maybe you could site the user that uploaded the pictures as a source? Just a thought. I don't know what course your on or what subject your doing this for so I'm afraid I don't know how lenient they'll be. :(

the text is there and the pictures that were included in the windows are there, but the window itself is not. I'm looking for a picture of gameplay containing the UI element window and it's "!" mark on the side.

Blackout

• "That guy"
  • Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 01:52:28 PM »
the text is there and the pictures that were included in the windows are there, but the window itself is not. I'm looking for a picture of gameplay containing the UI element window and it's "!" mark on the side.

That...will be more difficult to get then. I've done some looking around myself and I haven't been able to find anything of the sort unfortunately.
Would Icon be able to replicate something like that? I'd imagine not considering it technically has no gameplay, but it might be worth a try.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 03:28:47 PM »
That...will be more difficult to get then. I've done some looking around myself and I haven't been able to find anything of the sort unfortunately.
Would Icon be able to replicate something like that? I'd imagine not considering it technically has no gameplay, but it might be worth a try.

I thought of that as a last resort, the pop help tips do show but I think the windows are blank, which does no good. it would be a major hassle get ask codewalker or such to feed them their text.

I'll try icon now for it. I usually never ask for stuff I can get easily myself.

And actually the pophelp in icon is active! wonderful. got a screen shot, and thanks for the suggestion!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 03:37:16 PM by Joshex »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 03:22:40 AM »
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 11:05:32 AM »
https://www.google.com/search?q=opening+Cutscene+from+metal+gear+solid+2&oq=opening+Cutscene+from+metal+gear+solid+2&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

gives me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLTqIXZ1jQQ

That youtube vid claims to have "all" the cutscenes from MGS2, so that's probably a good start.

thanks for the link, though on closer inspection it's for metal gear solid (original), I actually am unfamiliar with this series, but had heard of the 20 minute opening cut-scene. from your link I was able to find all the cut-scenes from MGS2 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqOZ0MHRL-Q at least I think that's from MGS2, I could be mistaken.

can anyone verify this is correct and give the start and end times of the first cutscene? and thanks!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 04:03:19 PM »
Update, need an image.

Valtyr

• Finder of Lost CatGrrls
  • Boss
  • Not From Around Here
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2015, 04:34:23 PM »
I don't think either of these are exactly what you want, but they do show the arrow with an indicated distance to target.

First, I was making a visual tutorial for a friend. It shows the target window with the name of a selected target. The compass displays the relative direction to the target and the same identity. And in the center of the screen (obviously) the selected target and an arrow with the distance to same.

This one displays the compass with a primary mission selected. Mission title and destination zone are indicated as well as the distance and direction to the closest door - since the player is inside a building a waypoint not the final destination is shown.

Also maybe of some use is the menu bar: Showing progress to next level as well as an indication that the player has previously increased in level but not selected new powers or slots (whichever is appropriate). And the power tray showing off some temporary powers (I don't remember what they were) and some Veteran Powers and exclusive purchased powers. (L -> R) Pocket D VIP Pass, Veteran SG Base Transporter, Assemble the Team, Nemesis Staff, Sands of Mu, Blackwand.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »
I don't think either of these are exactly what you want, but they do show the arrow with an indicated distance to target.

First, I was making a visual tutorial for a friend. It shows the target window with the name of a selected target. The compass displays the relative direction to the target and the same identity. And in the center of the screen (obviously) the selected target and an arrow with the distance to same.

This one displays the compass with a primary mission selected. Mission title and destination zone are indicated as well as the distance and direction to the closest door - since the player is inside a building a waypoint not the final destination is shown.

Also maybe of some use is the menu bar: Showing progress to next level as well as an indication that the player has previously increased in level but not selected new powers or slots (whichever is appropriate). And the power tray showing off some temporary powers (I don't remember what they were) and some Veteran Powers and exclusive purchased powers. (L -> R) Pocket D VIP Pass, Veteran SG Base Transporter, Assemble the Team, Nemesis Staff, Sands of Mu, Blackwand.

Thanks a lot! these are perfect actually, just needed a picture of the map marker and with that the thesis is finally fully written and referenced.

got one day to review everything and burn a copy of the game to a disk. hopefully I get a good grade, certainly need it.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
Done and submitted, again thanks to everyone for your help couldn't have done it alone lol.