Author Topic: Blade & Soul? BOooo  (Read 11528 times)

Battlechimp

• Boss
Re: Blade & Soul? BOooo
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 01:31:55 AM »
Been playing this since it went live.  Short version review.  Its fun, been liking the combat, but can already tell its not going to hold my attention for long periods of time.  The fact that I'm here posting while trying to figure out what I want for dinner and looking for some movie to watch instead of just jumping right in once I got home from work tells me that much :-)

Longer review, thankfully I didn't have crashing issues after waiting in a long queue.  I just had the waiting in long queue to get in.   Day one I didn't even get to play really much.  By the time I got through the queue it was pretty much time for me to head to bed.  Day 2 it took me  bit more than 2 hours to get in.  But then they added like 4 new servers and I immediately deleted my characters and rerolled on the new server.  So the last few days have only had to wait 10 mins at most to get in.  Just wish they had something to tell you what the load/population gauge when picking servers, would help a lot when picking a server, if you didn't have your heart set on a specific one.

The game looks very pretty.  They look of characters, clothes, world, even the movement and combat is very much steeped in wuxia genre.  So if that's not your thing, this isn't the game for you.  I like the combat, playing a Kung full master.  The combos are neat, but took me a while to get used to.  Your hot keys/mouse buttons attacks will shift and changed depending on what your do to open up different combos.  Once your get more abilities it is fun to figure out what new moves you can pull off.  Some of the combos do take pretty precise timing to pull off, so that does take some practice. 

The outfits are nice looking.  I'm assuming the more cheesecake type outfits are either higher level or though the pay store.  Which reminds me, while i havn't spent any money, reading about people who bought founders packs that come with game coins to spend.  Its worded very poorly in the description, if you are not a premium member ie subscriber you can't actually use those coins you paid for.  Which is... wow, a horrible thing.  But if you do subscribe they'll be there waiting for you   and with the outfits, pay attention to what you wear.  If it is a faction outfit (which you will get several of) you are open for world pvp.  So if you're wearing that guard outfit because it looks cool, expect to get jumped by someone in the opposing faction at random

The storyline is so far enjoyable enough, but there isn't even a sembelence of choice in the dialogue.  Which makes leveling "take all the quests in one area, do them, move to the next area" wash rinse repeat.  Which, for me, doesn't really make me excited about alting, just to do the exact same thing.  So far questing has been enough to level up quickly enough (right now I'm lvl 21) so there doesn't seem to be much need for random killing just to get high enough for the next area.  The downside, the amounts of mobs and the respawn rate doesn't quite keep up with the amount of people trying to kill them.  And it is a tag system, so first hit gets the credit (bosses are an exception to this) so that can be a bit annoying.

I usually don't team in a mmo when first starting, just so i can better learn what I'm doing.  But now with the deluge of gold spammers and the tiny space on your ignore list, its impossible for anything your say to get through to anyone. They used to just be in region chat, but now they're in region, area, faction, trade, even in LFG. So not being able to easily communicate with anyone in any meaningful way, has turned this into a big single player game, which for me really cuts down o its shelf life.

Overall though its a fun game.  But I don't see myself actually spending any money on it though or playing it for a long time.  It will probably become one of those games that you pop in once in a while when you're taking a break from your prefered game, or to keep you entertained  when you're waiting for something else to come out
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2016, 05:02:30 AM »
It's pretty much "ride the rail to the next stop" where there's the next part of the story and a bunch of side quests in that area and once you are done you hop back on the story train to the next stop.  I prefer a bit more free roaming. 

CoH had multiple paths to level though.  GW2's auto down leveling system means you can play anywhere your actual level or below to level up.  BnS is the MMO version of rail FPS games Vs the free exploration of earlier Quake and Doom games.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2016, 07:13:21 PM »
I very much agree.  But with. All that said, I don't think it's a bad game.  It's a OK game.  Which is the problem.  With so many games and mmos out there to choose from, just being OK just isn't going to cut it
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Nos482

• Elite Boss
  • We've gone and done the greatest crime...
    • My PSN profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 10:11:14 PM »
Also only two character slots without buying more, deleting one takes a week and the name is locked out for a year.
Bwah? :o
That's about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.
I'm bad and that's good.
I'll never be good and that's not bad.
There's no one I'd rather be than me.

...unless I could be Batman, of course. Everybody wants to be Batman.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 10:24:25 PM »
Bwah? :o
That's about the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

It's also not true. I changed my mind about the character I created and clicked delete, which started a five minute timer. By the time I finished the character creation, I could use the same name on the same server with no problems.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2016, 12:02:46 AM »
It's also not true. I changed my mind about the character I created and clicked delete, which started a five minute timer. By the time I finished the character creation, I could use the same name on the same server with no problems.

It goes by how high level the character that you are deleting is.  The higher the character the longer the timer.  Deleted a character that was about lvl 12 or so and the timer was about 20 mins.  I'd assume if your character was  much higher and close or at the cap it could take a day or more to delete a character.  Archeage worked the same way

But yeah, the locked out for a year thing is totally false.  I've created a character, deleted, recreated, deleted etc a character, reused the same name on the same sever at least 4 times.  No problems with the name being locked out

Optimus Dex

• Boss
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2016, 10:56:45 PM »
If and when City of Heroes returns I will consider a NcSoft product. Others mileage might vary. But mine won't.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2016, 09:42:32 PM »
For those who object to the basic sexism in the game.  They released Valentine Day's outfits.

For the Ladies

For the Men

At this point you have to laugh and shake your head.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2016, 11:06:38 PM »
Based on the descriptions, those are talking about the sunglasses, not the outfits.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2016, 11:28:15 PM »
No, they're just in the dress-up place and currently have the sunglasses highlighted. Those are the actual outfits.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/feature/blade-souls-rising-water-valentines-day-store-costumes-overview
For boys, you get the Lover Boy outfit, the Bow Tie, the Sunglasses, and 12 White Roses, along with 10 Unsealing Charms.
For girls, you get the Pure White outfit, the Classy sunglasses, and 12 White Roses, along with 10 Unsealing Charms.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 04:38:50 AM »
...Why does NCSoft think that gamers find that appealing?  Um, do the people who design that..."outfit" ever like, go outside?  Or do they...nevermind.

Yeah, i'm shaking my head.  Doesn't make me laugh though.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Border

• Underling
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
I've been playing this game for a couple of years, so I can give a rundown of it, if anyone's so inclined to read.

I should reject it from the very core of my being. Run by the company that killed the last game in the Great Generation of MMOs, the most blaring example of how the gaming industry is disgustingly sexist, and it probably has the worst community I've ever seen in an MMO(think 4chan in 2005-2008). But...it's a really good game. For me, at least.

The combat is exquisite and very skill-based, a bad player piloting a fully geared character won't be able to finish squat. Endgame PvE is the most intense I've ever seen. Rather than going up in group size as stuff gets harder, your group sizes shrink, the smallest being 4-man dungeon groups. All AoE telegraphs get taken away so you have to learn animations and rotations, because damage is tuned so high that getting hit by the wrong thing at the wrong time means a faceplant; and that's not easy to recover from. There's no holy trinity in place either, and unlike most games it really works out well in B&S. You maintain your own health while doing as much damage as possible and keeping the bosses aggro if you're best suited for it. No one's there to help you back up.

That's endgame, though. Leveling is a complete bore, snore, and chore. Standard themepark MMO in that regard. Run to quest hub, complete quest hub, run to next quest hub. Story is irrelevant, and NCWest really didn't care to translate it or voice act it well. Also, there's 0% build variation. Your class has one or MAYBE two builds that it's accepted for you to use at endgame(where you spend all your time). Using anything else will just simply make things harder for you and whoever you're playing with. Rather than carving your own path with a unique build, you just play the standard build as close to perfectly as you can. Which is easier said than done, because even the simplest class has you doing multiple actions per second.

The art direction for it is absolutely stunning, which is not something you'd expect from a game that advertises itself as Greasy Tits & Ass Simulator 2016. Lots of heavy East Asian influence, huge soundtrack, really beautiful character animations, and an actually very varied character creator. You can even make fat people!

Now this is probably the farthest thing you can get from CoH so I can't expect it to appeal to most people here. But it's a really fun game if you're in it for the "game" aspect of "gaming". Not community(again, it's full of terrible people), story, progression, or whatever.

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 07:36:53 PM »
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"