Author Topic: A Brief Note of Recognition  (Read 7928 times)

Dasher

• Minion
A Brief Note of Recognition
« on: September 05, 2012, 08:56:03 PM »
I just want to pause for a moment and say what a load it has taken off my mind to see all the fantastic efforts being made here and the enthusiasm shown by all the folks jumping in to help!

That first day of hearing so many naysayers was rough... in four hours of rallying people, I got only two offers to help and only one "thank you", and let's face it, we all need to know when our efforts are appreciated.

I knew it would get better, and then I came here and WOW, did I breathe a sigh of relief!

So here's my statement of appreciation: I believe that the work of TonyV and the folks here at Titan Network to contribute to and coordinate all the disparate efforts out there represents our first, best hope at succeeding in those efforts, and I think everyone should take a moment to give them a round of applause before we get back to work on those letters, petitions, e-mails, blogs, websites, media contacts, Facebook, Twitter, smoke signals, whatever!

I am so proud to be among so many people who have so much passion for fighting the good fight.

I have to split for a week, but I will be checking in when I can and I will be back on the ramparts on the 15th!

Until then, as we say in the GUARDIANS: "Never give up - Never surrender!"

Don Hawthorne
AKA "Dasher", Protector (and other servers)

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
Re: A Brief Note of Recognition
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 09:44:53 PM »
*claps*

It really is amazing, isn't it?

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 09:51:09 PM »
Hear hear!
Yeah, as I began to absorb what was going on, and began sharing and absorbing with the community, it became obvious that we can't just throw up our hands and say goodbye.
And who better to be at the core of our organization and to coordinate and help execute all of our combined efforts than Tony and the Titan Network... who have been here for so long, doing the same, in much better times.

I am honored to be among you all and I now relish the challenge ahead as I know, no matter the results, I will benefit from the experience.

--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

ducklorange

• Lieutenant
    • Epic Duck Studios
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 09:56:15 PM »
You know, even if the absolute worst case scenario that we're all dreading comes to pass... we can look back on this effort, the absolute strength and resolve of this community of heroes... and be really damn proud of ourselves.  Not that I'm counting us out yet... ;)
Build demorecord files from your CoH Costume & Titan XML files! [http://demolition.mcuznz.ca]

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 09:57:51 PM »
i know we may still have a long and rough time ahead of us but i am sure we can pull through it

(and dont you get any ideas about thats what she said jokes  :P)

Soundtrack

• Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:09:38 PM »
I'm very honored to be working with you men and women... you personify unity.

I wouldn't be surprised that, when all is said and done and if/when we do finally get CoH back into our lives, there won't be more global friend requests. :)

In fact, maybe I'll start signing my posts as such.

@Soundtrack, Virtue

Paula

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:15:02 PM »
I am so proud to be among so many people who have so much passion for fighting the good fight.

QFT!

And we'll win*, too.  After the news first sank in that NCSoft was trying to tell me City of Heroes was going away, I said, "No it's not," and logged in to play.  :)

* While I have faith we'll see Paragon City live on whether under Paragon Studios or otherwise, I have equal faith that should that elude us, backup plans will see us though.  Cause the community's just as uniquely awesome as the game that's bringing us together.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:52:28 PM »
backup plans will see us though.

With the news today that they'd never release the source code, any back-up plan is going to be ginormous.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 11:07:07 PM »
With the news today that they'd never release the source code, any back-up plan is going to be ginormous.

Ginormous is not the same as impossible. We CAN make it happen. Paragon City Lives!
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 11:36:46 PM »

ducklorange

• Lieutenant
    • Epic Duck Studios
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 12:47:07 AM »

To be fair, there's a significant difference between "the source code will never be released" and "the source code will never be sold".  The source code *does* contain the Cryptic Engine, and even if Paragon/NC had a license to use it "in perpetuity", they certainly wouldn't have had any license to distribute the source code to others freely.
Build demorecord files from your CoH Costume & Titan XML files! [http://demolition.mcuznz.ca]

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 01:23:26 AM »

I don't think it was ever a consideration that they'd just up and release the code for free. Especially not with pieces of it being licensed from third parties.

Paula

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 03:32:20 AM »
So let's say that almost everything falls through and we find ourselves rallying together for a Plan G.  Even if it's G for Ginormous.

I've got a favorite saying: "Ever is a long time".  Meaning... if something's gonna ever happen, it happens, regardless of the time that passes in the meantime.  The time passes anyway.  And so long as we're passing that time the best way we can, it'll get us somewhere worth being.

That leads to another favorite saying that's specific to City of Heroes, for all the times I failed to get a badge for a seasonal event (like freaking somehow not managing to get Nemesis Plot on Paula and Perilous Paula): "Ah well, I'll either get it next year, or something will come up such that it doesn't matter whether I had a badge on City of Heroes or not!"  Life's a big, bright and beautiful place with surprises at every turn, each with choices to make on which way to go.

This rallying around Paragon has been, in my opinion, quite a worthy way to pass the time that I'm passing through anyway.  So long as we keep our best efforts, I count that a win.  Because I truly believe it'll get us each somewhere worth being, and I'm eager to find out where that is for me.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 04:04:14 AM »
OK, I'm sorry, but can someone link that post with the person saying the source code will never be released?  I know I saw it, it pissed me off, so I went downstairs to watch former President Clinton speak, and now I can't find it.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

fuzzjdc

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:22 AM »
I haven't been a forum regular. But I'm watching this whole thing go along and I needed to show my support to the Titan network as the HQ of all the efforts going on. Titan is one half of the puzzle and it wouldn't be complete with out the other (being the game).

What ever happens, it will be here on Titan that starts a new era.

I love that poem it should turn in to a badge ;)

Thanks Titan network for all your efforts and being the base of operations

ROBOKiTTY

• Boss
  • KiTTYRiffic
    • KiTTYLand
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 04:22:06 AM »
OK, I'm sorry, but can someone link that post with the person saying the source code will never be released?  I know I saw it, it pissed me off, so I went downstairs to watch former President Clinton speak, and now I can't find it.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,4877.msg45387.html#msg45387
Have you played with a KiTTY today?

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 04:23:18 AM »
Thank you. :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Taceus Jiwede

• Time Traveler
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 06:58:35 AM »
Amen man, keep up the good work everyone as long as we keep fighting CoH has a chance!

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 07:07:56 AM »
I don't think it was ever a consideration that they'd just up and release the code for free. Especially not with pieces of it being licensed from third parties.

I suspect some suggestions related to liberating the codebase were alluding something less like magnanimity than retaliation...

Paula

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 01:36:31 PM »
Yeah, please don't misread the "codebase will never be released" comment.  That doesn't mean "the owners of the code will never allow it to be licensed/sold!", it means "the owners of the code are extremely unlikely to just put it up on Steamforge".