Author Topic: In Game Advertisements  (Read 22531 times)

jimdog33

• Underling
In Game Advertisements
« on: September 19, 2012, 01:36:49 PM »
I always wondered why in-game ads for real life products (i.e. - cars, snacks etc.) was never implemented as a revenue stream?  It's a city with highways, transit stops, billboards, stores, blank wall space...  If it saves the game, I wouldn't mind having RL companies paste their logos & products all over the place.

Heck, even throw an ad on while loading zones... who cares?  Save CoH! 

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: In Game Advertisements
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
Honestly, this is a good idea. Heck, what if they sold "retail space" in game, allowing, say, Amazon to have a "book store" you could walk your heroes through and buy ebooks and other products with your game account being billed? Could even let the customer use the "supergroup base" construction engine to design their "store."

Ultraviolets

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »
That is a good idea, but I think they had considered it. Actually, I remember someone asking about this on the boards after the sad news. LocalMan has always known what's up so it should be pretty accurate: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=297140&highlight=ingame+ads

Ultraviolets

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
Hmm, on second thought, after reading that thread again, there's no reason they couldn't have tried it again really, maybe advertising gaming equipment. Normally I wouldn't particularly like advertising in game, but I would be all for it in a heartbeat if it saved our city!

jimdog33

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
That is a good idea, but I think they had considered it. Actually, I remember someone asking about this on the boards after the sad news. LocalMan has always known what's up so it should be pretty accurate: http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showthread.php?t=297140&highlight=ingame+ads
They could always re-visit the idea as an option for additional revenue stream.  I understand the whole "impressions" argument and that players zip by without paying attention, the ads could be made more prominent like the stores being actual 7-11s or something.

As for the option to turn off in-game ads... well they could always remove that option.  I think the player base would have a different standpoint with the future of the game in dire straits.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
Me, I'm for advertising in-game in ways that it would show up in the real world for two reasons: additional revenue stream, and it would make Paragon City look more "realistic" in a lot of ways.

Heck, to some extent, it would be getting somebody else to pay for the privilege of designing some of the in-game visuals. (It would obviously require a EULA-type thing that did something with ad images similar to what the EULA does with our game character images so Paragon Studios couldn't be sued for an ad showing up in somebody's webcast.)

jimdog33

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 01:55:48 PM »
Hmm, on second thought, after reading that thread again, there's no reason they couldn't have tried it again really, maybe advertising gaming equipment. Normally I wouldn't particularly like advertising in game, but I would be all for it in a heartbeat if it saved our city!
Exactly.  This was attempted back in 2006 or something.  Online & in-game advertising/marketing has come a long way since.  I don't see why this couldn't be re-visited now as a potential save situation?  The deployment & management of online ads is far more intuitive than it used to be.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:58:04 PM »
As for the option to turn off in-game ads... well they could always remove that option.  I think the player base would have a different standpoint with the future of the game in dire straits.
The biggest trick is one that a lot of web sites are learning these days: make the ads inoffensive. Not "unobtrusive," but also not "glaring, in-your-face annoying."

I use adblock on a lot of sites, but some I frequent I turn it off for (they had requests that I do so where their banners normally would show) because I do want to support them and because the ads aren't huge load-time additions and don't flash and pop and overlay in ways that make them irritating. They're there, off to the side, and if they catch my eye because they look interesting, I might be persuaded to check them out. That's how ads work best: pique interest, catch the eye of your intended audience, and inform them there is a product they might wish to buy.

Jumping out and screaming at them the way many pop-ups work is what gives advertising a bad name. I think a lot of quiet ad space could be very effectively sold in a game without offending anybody who wasn't going out of his way to be offended.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 02:08:04 PM »
I remember seeing a billboard for the film Babylon AD in Paragon, a number of years ago. Nothing since.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »
My vote would be on doing it the same way some browser games do it, if you are a subscriber you don't see the ads (or get an option where they are turned off by default but can be enabled), and if you're a free player you do see the ads.
I believe part of the reason it went south the first time around was because the game was still P2P and a lot of people objected to the idea of ads in their game.
And yes, gaming gear would be great - make some deals with DELL, Steelseries, etc... maybe even some energy drinks* =P

* Might as well take advantage of the old gamer stereo typing ;)

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 02:11:51 PM »
I see little reason to turn off "in-game billboards" or "storefronts" for subscribers; it would diminish the appeal of selling the ad space and would not enhance the game for anybody. Something is going to have to occupy that screen-space when it's on the client's screen anyway. Shutting off ads in the loading screens, though, might be worthwhile.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 02:12:57 PM »
I remember seeing a billboard for the film Babylon AD in Paragon, a number of years ago. Nothing since.
Well, I'm not sure where you were seeing them but it wasn't Paragon. We had two ads - some shoes and a phone - before the whole thing was scrapped.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 02:16:03 PM »
I see little reason to turn off "in-game billboards" or "storefronts" for subscribers; it would diminish the appeal of selling the ad space and would not enhance the game for anybody. Something is going to have to occupy that screen-space when it's on the client's screen anyway. Shutting off ads in the loading screens, though, might be worthwhile.
That would definitely be a workable solution.
Then again I was never among those that had problems with in game ads (it's a business after all, they have to money or close shop)

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 02:17:46 PM »
Well, I'm not sure where you were seeing them but it wasn't Paragon. We had two ads - some shoes and a phone - before the whole thing was scrapped.

Huh.

Well, I wouldn't put it beyond me to hallucinate Vin Diesel.

(Unless it was a UK thing mebbe? Seems unlikely, though. I vaguely remember an official forum blow-up about it when it was announced. Wasn't it opt-in, though?)

Honestly, this is a good idea. Heck, what if they sold "retail space" in game, allowing, say, Amazon to have a "book store" you could walk your heroes through and buy ebooks and other products with your game account being billed? Could even let the customer use the "supergroup base" construction engine to design their "store."

This would cost me a fortune.

I /love/ it.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »
*puts on his devious marketing hat*

If in-game retail stores (a la the Amazon store idea I mentioned above) were a "thing," buying locations for your retail stores could be a sneaky incentive for people to use your store. Imagine if each retail store owned by one purveyor had access to all "location" entrances. Suddenly, walking through the aisles of Super*Mart might be a shortcut across a couple zones, if you know of locations in two zones you want to visit.

In-game billboards could give, for an additional fee to the purveyor, inspirations to the heroes who interact with them that teleport them to the retail store, as well.

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
The retail locations could even have Sponsored Events, wherein missions to rob them for villains clash with missions to protect them from heroes.

Successful "robbery" might come with some out-of-game promotional item (like a coupon or something), while successful "protection" would get similar. The former being "hey, you stole it!" and the latter being "grateful store-owner gift."

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 02:24:28 PM »
*puts on his devious marketing hat*

If in-game retail stores (a la the Amazon store idea I mentioned above) were a "thing," buying locations for your retail stores could be a sneaky incentive for people to use your store. Imagine if each retail store owned by one purveyor had access to all "location" entrances. Suddenly, walking through the aisles of Super*Mart might be a shortcut across a couple zones, if you know of locations in two zones you want to visit.

In-game billboards could give, for an additional fee to the purveyor, inspirations to the heroes who interact with them that teleport them to the retail store, as well.
Now I'm suddenly picturing a huge shopping mall (zone like Pocket D) that connects to a bunch of zones :p

Segev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
And every store in it is more revenue to the company that the players don't have to directly generate, thus making the game more viable and self-sustaining! ^_^_v

The virtue of marketing is when it unites convenience and incentive with the designs of those who'll pay for access to the audience. Instead of being a nuisance the audience endures, it becomes a convenience they seek out. Suddenly, everybody's happy. Capitalism at its best!

jimdog33

• Underling
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 02:29:18 PM »
Destructible environments = Starbucks, Wal-mart & Apple stores

Mekki

• Underling
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
I think that'd be a pretty sad thing to do...
Normally i wouldn't mind anything like billboard ads, but in CoH the whole way organizations and stuff advertises make them part of the game universe. It's one of those slight things that build the overall game magic to me.