Author Topic: has anyone tried contacting the lgbt media?  (Read 10201 times)

Devinfstr

• Underling
has anyone tried contacting the lgbt media?
« on: September 22, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
I ask this because CoX has a large lgbt attraction due in part to the character builder and partly because the community. CoX really was a ground breaker for lgbt gamers. Every server hosts Pride SGs and many even host Prideents.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: has anyone tried contacting the lgbt media?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
Kind of surprised none of us thought of this sooner. I'll put out some feelers, but it'd be better to have others working this too.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Devinfstr

• Underling
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:56:14 PM »
I think Ms Lackey's involvement would really stand out. She is one of the few fantasy novelists to positively portray lgbt characters.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:09:46 PM »
I think Ms Lackey's involvement would really stand out. She is one of the few fantasy novelists to positively portray lgbt characters.

Feel free to wave my name about, but I personally don't have any media contacts.  I would however be more than open to interviews, either email or phone.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Devinfstr

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »
Thank you. Your writing seriously helped me during my youth. The Last Herald Mage trilogy is still my go to when i am feeling down and in need of a it gets better idol. I have even loaned the series to several straight friends who I thought could benefit from it. You have honestly been an inspiration.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 09:23:29 PM »
Hi there.  Do we happen to have any other LGBT(etc) hanging around here?  I mean, other than me.  By LGBT community standards, I'm not a very good gay, so they might be more in touch with this subject than I.

But... I've never felt very welcome in Cities as a gay guy.  From what I can tell, it comes mostly from Cities' high population of older people.  I've been in so many arguments about it that I just keep quiet if it ever comes up.  This probably sounds way pessimistic, so I'd love for people to prove me wrong.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:26:02 PM »
Being part of the LGBT community myself, I don't think it'd hurt. After all, it's about getting the word out and gaining more supporters. I'll do some digging around and see what I can come up with.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 09:29:01 PM »
Hi there.  Do we happen to have any other LGBT(etc) hanging around here?  I mean, other than me.  By LGBT community standards, I'm not a very good gay, so they might be more in touch with this subject than I.

But... I've never felt very welcome in Cities as a gay guy.  From what I can tell, it comes mostly from Cities' high population of older people.  I've been in so many arguments about it that I just keep quiet if it ever comes up.  This probably sounds way pessimistic, so I'd love for people to prove me wrong.

Which server have you been hanging out on? I only ask because I've never seen anybody on Virtue go gay bashing, except the attention trolls in the D, and they usually get smacked down pretty darn hard.

I don't have a lot of contacts, but, well it's kind of been an "open secret," but I suppose I'll finally step up. I'm bisexual, have been since I was fourteen, at least. There's more there, but...well. This isn't a thread about me, so I won't bring that all up. *laugh*

That said, I definitely can attest that this game has helped me deal with a lot of things about myself, as far as personal identity goes.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 09:32:03 PM »
Can't say as I have any connections... or even pay attention to GLBT media.  However, I have always felt welcomed by the community.  I remember one particular incident in which an entire league expressed outrage due to a vocal gaybasher on the TPN we were doing.  Made me proud of the community!  :)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
By LGBT community standards, I'm not a very good gay, so they might be more in touch with this subject than I.
There's good gay and bad gay?

I wonder if there are good heteros and bad heteros.  And which one am I?  *sigh* I'm probably a horrible hetero since I can cook, clean, and operating a sewing machine quite competently.

I don't think I've ever seen any LGBT hate playing the game, but I'm probably not as quick to pick up on it if it's in front of me.  I'm certainly not passing judgment, and most of the people I've played the game with regularly over the years certainly weren't.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Thirty-Seven

• Elite Boss
  • Keeper of the Sacred Number
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 09:40:55 PM »
I wondered about that myself...

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 09:43:41 PM »
Aside from the random troll in AP broadcast I have rarely seen anything anti-gay in game. All of my globals and friends in global chans know I am a homosexual. I am not active in the GLBT community in game or out of game though. I support organizations such as Human Rights Campaign, Lambda Legal Defense Fund, etc...but I am not a "Go out and march" type of person. I used to do a lot of that when I was younger, but now with the security behind what I do for work...it would be pretty frowned upon.

There are a lot of visible GLBT organizations on the web and I am sure they would give some props to COH; especially if a leader/member of one of the many GLBT SGs were to contact them and let them know how supportive COH and the general community is of member sof the GLBT community.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »

As with any sub culture of society you have the positive and negative elements.

I wondered about that myself...

QuantumHero

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
I am not LGBT but I do have a number of friends offline who are...and reading Ms. Lackey's Last Herald Mage Trilogy as well as Dragon Riders of Pern (Anne McCaffery) in my formative years has a great deal to do with the person I grew up to be...accepting and understanding of the diversity of others...I also have a few reasons of my own for having been able to identify with being different and misunderstood but if I say anything it will be on the testimonials thread.

I have one possible contact (who I litteraly just thought of but don't hold your breath on it).  A gay friend who is in television but seriously this is a long shot. 

Found his phone number but the voice mail is generic so it may not be the right number anymore <growl> unfortunately I just haven't spoken to him in awhile and a mutual friend I could ask is kinda mad at me right now so the only thing I can do is talk to some people Monday.  If anyone has a better angle please try.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 10:02:22 PM by QuantumHero »
If given two roads that lead no where good...stop using roads and carve your own path.

Devinfstr

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 10:04:06 PM »
I guess I should write up a proper testimonial. I am debating writing to Instinct and other responsible publications about what I truly see as the death of a gay icon. What other MMO allows you to truly create a drag queen like the CoH mad science pack? I don't even like drag but i ran to make a fire/kin corruptor i named Ms Diva Divine. My male toons are constantly commented on by friendly supportive players who reaf bios. When i decided to migrate from pinnacle to virtue i posted a request for lgbt sgs to join on the forums and was inumdayed by invites. Vitrue even holds an annual pride celebration that has gotten notice from the media in the past.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 10:55:27 PM »

I wonder if there are good heteros and bad heteros.  And which one am I?  *sigh* I'm probably a horrible hetero since I can cook, clean, and operating a sewing machine quite competently.

Please don't make light of this.  I really don't appreciate the use of stereotypes.   No matter what ideological high ground you're coming from, being homo- or bisexual is different than being hetero.  I'm a boy who likes boys, you're a boy who likes girls.  It's just not the same...  When you're in a minority, becoming a community is a necessity.  Hence there is no "heterosexual community".  Communities have good and bad elements, and I've experienced some serious negatives.  I say I'm a bad gay because I have never been particularly well-received by anyone in the community except my boyfriend, and we started off long-distance (we've been dating for almost three years now).  I actually don't have any gay friends, save for him.  Poor me, right?  I don't mind it so much, but I've never fit in with a mostly gay community. 

To answer other questions... I started on Virtue, played on Infinity, then moved to Freedom.  I've experienced a degree of negativity on each, but you can probably guess that Freedom is the worst.

With all this said, I am proud of who I am. Though I prefer to avoid conflict, I am not afraid to fight for who I am..  I'm truly glad to hear that Cities has helped people, but it's never been that way for me.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 11:02:54 PM »
My apologies if you found that offensive.  I promise I did not intend to offend.

My point - more bluntly:  as far as I'm concerned, people are people.  As long as you aren't keeping yourself entertained with things on par with stabbing kittens and drowning puppies in a burlap sack, you're no worse than anyone else I know and I just accept all you for who you are the same as I would anyone else.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 11:12:05 PM »
My apologies if you found that offensive.  I promise I did not intend to offend.

My point - more bluntly:  as far as I'm concerned, people are people.  As long as you aren't keeping yourself entertained with things on par with stabbing kittens and drowning puppies in a burlap sack, you're no worse than anyone else I know and I just accept all you for who you are the same as I would anyone else.
I know you didn't mean it.  I agree completely with you, but unfortunately people get tied up in details about themselves.  It's a little selfish, really. 

But back on topic.  As I said, I am amazed at a few of the stories being posted.  I'm happy for you guys, really.  I hope there is a way this can help save Cities.  It'll be great if NCsoft is put in moral hot water.

Aquashock

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »
Don't forget that the CoH LGBT community isn't all dudes. ;)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 11:17:14 PM »
Don't forget that the CoH LGBT community isn't all dudes. ;)
Right!  Sorry, that's a really bad habit of mine seeing as I don't have much to do with the L part of LGBT.  I'm working on it, promise! >.<