Author Topic: Music to Save the World By  (Read 2381 times)

Riff

• Lieutenant
Music to Save the World By
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:56:04 PM »
Mulling over the whole "events" thing - trying to restimulate the servers etc - and also thinking about a global in game event and a thought struck me

Music has been a central part of my CoH experience. Not always directly but it's always been there and we all know that the game has indirectly spawned plenty of net radio stations. Some are still going and have forged successful paths, like Incarnates on the rampage. Others are dust on the wind like a Nemesis plot.

But there are still a few around, that owe their existence and still some of their listeners to CoH. It seems to me that it would be a good thing to go into a broadcastathon - pick a saturday (very soon) get all the stations to multi-cast across their streams, so that everyone gets the experience - maybe run events - play music and generally share in the mutual CoH/music experience. Maybe get the gaming press involved - Massively were glad to be involved in Atlas Park 33 - this could be the same with added groove/funk/metal/punk/insertgenrehere - but over a longer period and covering more servers.

The problem here is, coordinating it -and finding out who wants to take part and when. I'm involved with www.musicworldradio.com which was spawned on Defiant and came out of the collapse of Evo radio. But there's also http://www.thecaperadio.com/ who are arguably more significant to CoH as a broadcast unit. There's almost certainly others (seems Rogues Radio is no more) so we need to get them together, and get a plan.

We'd need to get as many stations on board as we know about - and that may not be easy - I know from experience there's been a habit of hiding in your bubble - not just from my PoV but other statiosn - but it's doable, it could make an impact and it could help the game and the stations!

If it were to be done, better it were done quickly... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHXkfLRSTeI&feature=related

Let's Rock 'n' Roll

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: Music to Save the World By
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
I would advise trying to get in touch with DJ Templar and the Cape crew about this. I'm sure some of the DJs would be interested, but I can't speak for The Cape as an organization.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Aquashock

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:03 PM »
I think Split Infinity is still around? I know they did a special event broadcast for a SG I was a few months back.

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:42:48 AM »
It sounds like we are of the same mind...... if we combined ideas, we could have the old street dance/carnival/occupy AP thing going with people's choice of music... all covering the event ..... a saturday or even (dare I say it) and entire weekend?

The-Hunter-JLJ

• Bug Hunter
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 05:14:50 AM »
Did you see the thread where someone was proposing a "street dance" on all servers simultaneously? Seems like an excellent combination of ideas, and the COH radio stations could help promote the idea. Let me see... here's the other thread:

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5320.0.html

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 06:26:58 PM »
That's a good point. I'll try and rustle up a few of the other teams!

Also... I wish I'd chosen a different title for this thread! A shitty coincidence  :( :( :( :-X

Fansy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 06:44:32 PM »
I'm sending out the SoS song across the internet, MMOs', and forums.

There may be more people to listen to the music than ever thought possible! You bring the stations together and let me know if a bard like myself can lend a hand where a hand is due. I am handy with an instrument or two, afterall. Start hammering out some time frames and I, as well as a couple of special guest friends (who I have got ahold of) will be lending support for the in-game events.

Horrah Horrah City Of Saviors!

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 07:18:00 PM »
Great stuff. Ok I'm in touch with DJ Sultry Siren at the Cape. We'll rustle up as many others as we can. Fansy are you talin about a live gig? Do you know how to stream live music?

Fansy

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »
I have something special in the works that may not save your game but will bring in a lot of dead accounts. By the way, due to the fact so many accounts have been disabled there are many who don't have a way to join in the fight because they can't create one! Now there's some special cases with celebrities as I'm sure they can get an account made just for the highlight of their name (or antics, hint hint) but for everyone else it's a lost struggle.

Solution?
If you have spare accounts laying around or spare keys you might be able to entice players to join in!

Riff

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 12:47:54 AM »
I have something special in the works that may not save your game but will bring in a lot of dead accounts. By the way, due to the fact so many accounts have been disabled there are many who don't have a way to join in the fight because they can't create one! Now there's some special cases with celebrities as I'm sure they can get an account made just for the highlight of their name (or antics, hint hint) but for everyone else it's a lost struggle.

Solution?
If you have spare accounts laying around or spare keys you might be able to entice players to join in!

I don't believe old accounts ever get deleted - and because of Freedom everyone who has ever had an account can get 2 characters live n game!

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »
That and we've been finding that any keys we have that haven't already been used can't be applied anymore.  (Which is a shame because I just got two more this week.)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

djonehitwonder

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »
Cross-posting stuff I posted in the other thread mentioned above:

What would probably work better, is to have each station sponsor a server, but broadcast separately.  We can band together for promotional purposes, but trying to share one broadcast could be a logistical and technical nightmare.

Also, do you want to do this during the Double XP weekend?  And the same day that the Extra Life Gameathon is going on?  Seems like that weekend is already booked pretty solid, so another weekend for this might be better, perhaps November 3rd?  That would also give you more time to make sure every server has a station (I can help with that, I have a few contacts), and promote the event.

I know The Cape is already hosting a Halloween party on the 27th.

When The Cape does 2xXP weekend, we generally have less people at a stationary show, and some of the DJs prefer to be out running missions or task forces.  Some people like the break though.  Still, it's our experience that less people want to stay in one spot dancing during 2xXP.

If you still want to do it on the 20th, be sure to tie it in with the other events, and help each other with the publicity.  Get the charity folks and the radio stations all on board together to run a 24 hour event, where people can come and go.  Perhaps have a "dance off" at the top of every hour, where people meet up in AP for a 10-minute break, then can team up and go get mad expees again.  Actually, that's not a bad idea... would promote community and help people find teams!

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
After thinking about NCSoft's latest announcement for some time, I can come to no other solution.

So, on October 20th, 2012, in light of this latest news. I want everyone to log onto their favorite toon on their favorite server and show and show your support to Paragon Studios, The People who are fighting to keep this game alive, and to the City of Heroes Community.
Come to the biggest virtual street dance in history. Put on your best and dance like it's 11/29. Stand and chat, hold a torch, dance, party,
do whatever, but occupy. Occupy the game we have grown to love. Make as many multiples of Atlas Park on your server as you possibly can. Set a Record. Show that AP 33 was not a fluke or a one time thing. We are HEROES, show a Heroes' resolve. Get friends and relatives on spare accounts. Listen to your servers' streaming music station, and let them know about this block bustin' event.

Now is not the time for tears and sad goodbyes; this is our time. A time for Heroes.
And we ARE Heroes, and this is what we do.
See you at the party.

Riff, djonehitwonder and have put our heads together on this one.... anyone who can contact other server music stations have them contact one of us... lets really pull together as one city and do this.