Author Topic: Light A Fire: SCIENCE!  (Read 8316 times)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Light A Fire: SCIENCE!
« on: September 27, 2012, 03:58:20 AM »
We have anecdotal evidence of playing CoH with an autistic child has helped bring that child back to his family, in part because children seem to respond to superheroes over and above any other game-character.

We have anecdotal evidence that playing CoH is therapeutic for people with PTSD--over and above playing any other game because of the social and group-building experiences within the game.

We have anecdotal evidence that playing CoH is good for people with chronic pain and depression to help manage their conditions, in part because the UI is simple and intuitive and easy for them to manage.

Now, does anyone know someone doing research on Game Therapy in any of these fields?  Does your doctor know?  Can you contact, or can your doctor contact said researcher and ask for his/her help on our behalf?  Could you interest him/her in a larger research study that would specifically require the use of CoH?  Could you get him/her to contact NCSoft about this?

Releasing the IP to some other entity that will support it on behalf of scientific/therapeutic research gives NCSoft a face-saving out, and enables them to get back some good-guy points (carrot, as opposed to cattle-prod).

Of course, they may only be willing to release the IP to, say, a university research facility for limited use at that facility, although in the case of autistic children, they'd have to allow outside (home) connections to the game server.  Well, we all know how secure university computers are, and I am sure there is no risk in that case of the code escaping.   ;)
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
Re: Light A Fire: SCIENCE!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 05:09:23 AM »
I'm not anybody famous, but I approve this message. ;)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:37:52 AM »
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite thread on the Citadel!

(Except I'm not really.)
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 05:50:39 AM »
It's doubtful, but I may know some people that know people.... I'll need to ask around to be sure.  Don't get your hopes up on me though, this is a slim possibility on my end.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:26:36 AM »
What do you know, my supergroup got surveyed for our game usage by an undergraduate. I'm digging the report right now but I don't think it's breakthrough-class.

Edit: Well, false alarm, it's in french and just another "MMORPG are not addictive" survey. Move along.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 08:31:38 AM by Mister Bison »
Yeeessss....

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:17:15 AM »
Remember, we're all six degrees of Kevin Bacon from someone who can do this.  Stranger things have happened.  I just kicked off a study of using a sugar alcohol (Xylitol) for its antibiotic properties in sour crop in baby parrots because I talked to my vet who talked to someone who talked to someone else.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Beodren

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »
Out of curiosity. In case of commencing research, wouldn't we be allowed to use game IP anyway as fair use?

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
This is going to sound like I am being a smart-arse, but this IS a serious question:
If you prove this, would you omit those people who don't benefit from it medically, yet play anyway?
Would you need a doctor's prescription to play?
I know, they sound like stupid, ludicrous questions, but there is a company closing down a franchise that is making money.
It's a stupid, ludicrous world we live in anymore.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 10:52:59 AM »
This is going to sound like I am being a smart-arse, but this IS a serious question:
If you prove this, would you omit those people who don't benefit from it medically, yet play anyway?
Would you need a doctor's prescription to play?
I know, they sound like stupid, ludicrous questions, but there is a company closing down a franchise that is making money.
It's a stupid, ludicrous world we live in anymore.
I am not a doctor, but I've watched a lot of House..
I am not a lawyer, but I've watched a lot of Law and Order...

With that statement in mind...

This would not be 'medication', it would be therapy.. there's a major difference. In therapy they utilize many every day things, depending on what kind of therapy it is. We would not need a perscription or doctors note for CoH any more than we need one for a bicycle, because some physical therapists utilizing cycling for some patients. The only potential issue would be is if the research institution wanted to keep it 'closed off' for their tests.

Now.. there's a factor that could either work for or against this idea..
A portion, at least, of the evidence we have to support CoH helping with the development of autistic children, helping people to deal with PTSD and, helping the elderly and/or disabled cope with barely being able to walk across the room, is the community which is behind the game.

How much was the game, and how much was the people? It depends on the story.

This could lead to companies saying "It wasn't the game it was the people, we don't need that." and turning it down.
It could also, though, lead to the companies saying "Huh, the people were part of it.. and you know, they want to pay to play this game, so why don't we open up the servers and help offset the cost of doing this study with subscription fees/donations." - then we convince them to rehire as much of Paragon Studios as they can afford to, because obviously they need a development team to start specializing game elements for the therapy uses.. ;)

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 10:57:53 AM »
Mercedes:  My daughter has Aspergers/Autism.  One of my Coalition-mates, HIS son has Aspergers/Autism.  His son plays on CoH when he isn't on the account.  It helps him regulate his emotions and helps him with the social interaction.  My husband and I were trying to gradually steer our daughter towards City of Heroes, because it was the community that we felt the safest introducing her to, in order to help her learn more social skills, in a safe, virtual environment.

We were also going to introduce her to the Mission Archetecht. She wants to write stories, she wants to be an author when she grows up, and is already showing great potential.  We were hoping to introduce her to the AE to help her at least start on the path of creating her own stories in a medium that she can see and act them out.  To help with her imaginiation. (Imaginary play has been pretty difficult for her to grasp until now)

That's all out the door, for now.  We can't upgrade her FTP account to VIP. We can't even really introduce her to the game because she'll get attached/obsessed and it'll be shut off.    Anyway that's my take on it as a parent who has an autistic child. 

Now,  your best bet for the AUTISM angle is getting in touch with Autism Speaks.  For the UK people, Anna Kennedy is a good person to get in touch with as well. I have a whole boatload of Autism contacts on my Facebook friends list.  There are some who would help our cause, and then there are those who are total wackjobs that you don't really want involved.  (Trust me..the tinfoil hat powers are very strong with some of the people on my Facebook list)  I'll get in contact with a few of the big hitters in the Autism community and see what can be done. 

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 11:23:12 AM »
Innnnteresting. I do still know someone who sometimes does research in chemotherapeutics for psychological disorders. I'll try to talk to her today, ask how I can go about searching for prior studies on the topic.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

SithRose

• Plan Z: Lore Lead
  • Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
    • Missing Worlds Media - Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 05:57:14 PM »
Mercedes:  My daughter has Aspergers/Autism.  One of my Coalition-mates, HIS son has Aspergers/Autism.  His son plays on CoH when he isn't on the account.  It helps him regulate his emotions and helps him with the social interaction.  My husband and I were trying to gradually steer our daughter towards City of Heroes, because it was the community that we felt the safest introducing her to, in order to help her learn more social skills, in a safe, virtual environment.

We were also going to introduce her to the Mission Archetecht. She wants to write stories, she wants to be an author when she grows up, and is already showing great potential.  We were hoping to introduce her to the AE to help her at least start on the path of creating her own stories in a medium that she can see and act them out.  To help with her imaginiation. (Imaginary play has been pretty difficult for her to grasp until now)

That's all out the door, for now.  We can't upgrade her FTP account to VIP. We can't even really introduce her to the game because she'll get attached/obsessed and it'll be shut off.    Anyway that's my take on it as a parent who has an autistic child. 

Now,  your best bet for the AUTISM angle is getting in touch with Autism Speaks.  For the UK people, Anna Kennedy is a good person to get in touch with as well. I have a whole boatload of Autism contacts on my Facebook friends list.  There are some who would help our cause, and then there are those who are total wackjobs that you don't really want involved.  (Trust me..the tinfoil hat powers are very strong with some of the people on my Facebook list)  I'll get in contact with a few of the big hitters in the Autism community and see what can be done.

Yes, please for everyone's sake try to stay as far away from Age of Autism as possible...Geh! *shudder* I think you have more contacts with the general autism community than I do, though I've already sent all of my contacts information on it. :) (Most of mine are already gamers, and not really part of a formal group.)
Lore Lead for Plan Z: The Phoenix Project
Secretary of Missing Worlds Media, Inc.

Flying Code Monkey

• Underling
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 06:05:34 PM »
I must admit, this is a creative angle.

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 06:06:33 PM »
I'll be contacting Sick Kids in Toronto. Had we known then what we know now, I would've been a part of more than just twin studies there.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

Ultraviolets

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 08:53:32 PM »
I'm pursuing a degree related to healthcare business and have access to our online library. Here are three articles in our database (no full text unfortunately!) about research involving video game therapy. The abstracts are taken directly from the database:

Wilkinson, N., Ang, R., & Goh, D. (2008). Online video game therapy for mental health concerns: a review. International Journal Of Social Psychiatry, 54(4), 370-382.

BACKGROUND: There has been research on the use of offline video games for therapeutic purposes but online video game therapy is still fairly under-researched. Online therapeutic interventions have only recently included a gaming component. Hence, this review represents a timely first step toward taking advantage of these recent technological and cultural innovations, particularly for the treatment of special-needs groups such as the young, the elderly and people with various conditions such as ADHD, anxiety and autism spectrum disorders. MATERIAL: A review integrating research findings on two technological advances was conducted: the home computer boom of the 1980s, which triggered a flood of research on therapeutic video games for the treatment of various mental health conditions; and the rise of the internet in the 1990s, which caused computers to be seen as conduits for therapeutic interaction rather than replacements for the therapist. DISCUSSION: We discuss how video games and the internet can now be combined in therapeutic interventions, as attested by a consideration of pioneering studies. CONCLUSION: Future research into online video game therapy for mental health concerns might focus on two broad types of game: simple society games, which are accessible and enjoyable to players of all ages, and online worlds, which offer a unique opportunity for narrative content and immersive remote interaction with therapists and fellow patients. Both genres might be used for assessment and training purposes, and provide an unlimited platform for social interaction. The mental health community can benefit from more collaborative efforts between therapists and engineers, making such innovations a reality.

Kho, M. E., Damluji, A., Zanni, J. M., & Needham, D. M. (2012). Feasibility and observed safety of interactive video games for physical rehabilitation in the intensive care unit: a case series. Journal Of Critical Care, 27(2), 219.e1-6.

Abstract: Background: Early rehabilitation in the intensive care unit (ICU) improves patients'' physical function. Despite reports of using commercially available interactive video game systems for rehabilitation, there are few data evaluating feasibility and safety as part of routine in-patient rehabilitation, particularly in the ICU. Methods: We conducted an observational study from September 1, 2009, to August 31, 2010, of adults admitted to a 16-bed medical ICU receiving video games as part of routine physical therapy (PT), evaluating use and indications and occurrence of 14 prospectively monitored safety events. Results: Of 410 patients receiving PT in the medical ICU, 22 (5% of all patients; male, 64%; median age, 52 years) had 42 PT treatments with video games (median [interquartile range] per patient, 1.0 [1.0-2.0]). Main indications for video game therapy included balance (52%) and endurance (45%), and the most common activities included boxing (38%), bowling (24%), and balance board (21%). Of 42 treatments, 69% occurred while standing and 45% while mechanically ventilated. During 35 hours of PT treatment, 0 safety events occurred (95% upper confidence limit for safety event rate, 8.4%). Conclusions: Novel use of interactive video games as part of routine PT in critically ill patients is feasible and appears safe in our case series. Video game therapy may complement existing rehabilitation techniques for ICU patients.

Video Games: A Cure for Adult Amblyopia?. (2011). Review of Optometry, 148(10), 14.

The article presents a pilot study which suggests that extensive video game playing can improve blurred vision among adults with amblyopia. It says that the study has assessed 20 adults with amblyopia aging from 15 to 61 years, and were randomized into one of three treatment arms. It states that despite the result, further research is recommended to know the clinical safety of video game therapy.

Ultraviolets

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 09:02:02 PM »
Sorry I guess I forgot why I posted those things. If anyone thinks the articles are useful, the researchers could be potential people to contact, or the universities that they work at could be good ways of finding more information out about the subject.

Flashtoo

• Minion
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 09:14:41 PM »
I have Asperger's syndrome. If not for this game I wouldn't have friends.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 09:21:52 PM »
I have Asperger's syndrome. If not for this game I wouldn't have friends.

As a fellow Asperger's sufferer: +1 for Truth.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 09:33:03 PM »
You guys just love to venture outside my talents, don't you?  :P

I know a few people who might be able to help, but don't expect anything.

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:49:43 PM »
I'm a combat veteran and although I was never diagnosed with PTSD, I dealt with depression.  When I got home, a bunch of very unfortunate things happened to me.  I came home in April 2007 and I think I started playing CoH in August or September 2007.  As much joy as this game has game has given me, I just don't make the connection between playing it and getting over my depression.  My wife and kids probably did that for me (I met my 2nd wife the following Feb.).
During therapy, I'm pretty sure I mentioned that I was a gamer, but I'm pretty sure I didn't say that I play an MMO where you can be a freakin superhero. 

On a side and somewhat loosely related note, one of my first characters was inspired somewhat by my story and a journal I wrote while deployed (and a little of Dr. Manhattan and Darth Vader).  I never got around to finish writing his story, but it was to be revealed that his power was unlocked by PTSD and that he had the power to do anything he wanted as long as he believed he could.  Here's the link to the story on virtueverse http://www.virtueverse.net/wiki/GI_Bob

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 11:31:31 PM »
@Ultraviolet : I am limited in contacting people by time (I have to make a living), resources (mostly time, but also access to scientific journals and places where I could find researchers to contact), and credibility (I am a freaking fiction writer, with no cred in science and no direct experience--as in being a parent or caregiver or suffering from any of those suggested conditions).  This is why I am putting this out there as a suggestion for some of you to use who DO have some of these things.  PLEASE do.  Especially if you can approach some of the authors of those three studies.

@Tanglefoe : not every therapy works with everyone.  Over in testimonials we have some people who have gotten pretty direct help with PTSD and depression in the game.  I'm sorry you are still fighting depression, as a chronic depressive myself, I literally feel (and share) your pain.

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 11:41:12 PM »
The missus and I have found that fighting crime together is one of the best "marriage therapy" exercises we'd ever found.

We're not sure what we'll try in its place if CoH does close.  A friend mentioned Pugil Stick dueling sessions as an alternative, but I think he's just trying to get me killed.  Jenn would so whip my butt.

In a past life, i worked in "educational games" and met a few notables (and a few CoH players) at the various conferences there.   After 4-5 years, few will probably remember me, but I'll send out a few pings.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 01:05:42 AM »
I'm a combat veteran and although I was never diagnosed with PTSD, I dealt with depression.  When I got home, a bunch of very unfortunate things happened to me.  I came home in April 2007 and I think I started playing CoH in August or September 2007.  As much joy as this game has game has given me, I just don't make the connection between playing it and getting over my depression.  My wife and kids probably did that for me (I met my 2nd wife the following Feb.).

Video games are not a 'cure' or therapy for everyone. You've actually expressed pretty much exactly why it wasn't much of one for you: you have family.
A lot of the people you see talking about how City of Heroes, or any MMO, helped them through depression... don't have many people in the real world who love and care about them. The high-flying, fast paced antics of a video game (especially CoH) can certainly help combat the symptoms of depression and for a short while draw your mind off the bad.. but the community is what has helped so many- they're the family for those who have none.

Ixontes

• Underling
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 01:14:03 AM »
ME!!!!

I was diagnosed with panic disorder with anxiety and depression. When playing this game I have never had any of that. This game is my escape from life. I can log on and just run or fly around the city and not do another dang thing and it calms my nerves. My daughter is 7 now and I started her playing at 4. She is smarter on the computer than most 14 year olds that I know, plus she has a 102 average in school. I let her play every time she wants to after homework. She has a level 50 on Freedom!!!!

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »
Video games are not a 'cure' or therapy for everyone. You've actually expressed pretty much exactly why it wasn't much of one for you: you have family.
A lot of the people you see talking about how City of Heroes, or any MMO, helped them through depression... don't have many people in the real world who love and care about them. The high-flying, fast paced antics of a video game (especially CoH) can certainly help combat the symptoms of depression and for a short while draw your mind off the bad.. but the community is what has helped so many- they're the family for those who have none.

As one of the depressed, unloved individuals Zolgar mentions: +1 for Truth.

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2012, 01:23:04 AM »
One friend I met through the game had, as near as I could see, serious social anxiety issues.  He now does amateur standup.  I don't think it was the game itself that got him to come out of his shell, but the strong social bonds and the lengths we all go to meet up in person did.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 02:39:41 AM »
These are very good anecdotal cases for the gaming + social aspect that seems unique to City.  They certainly seem to warrant further research to me, and will absolutely require a healthy number of players to create that social network within the game.  Find some researchers and contact them!

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2012, 08:34:22 AM »
Not to say that I disagree with any of this whatsoever, but...

In order to strengthen our argument, I get the idea it would be wise to play a bit of "devils advocate" with you all and ask a question that I'm sure would be a counter-argument. I do this solely in the interest of putting it out there and having you find a way to counter it.

The question is this:  How much of these beneficial aspects are due to any unique nature of City of Heroes, and how much could be attributed to any other MMO out there? Could you not get these same benefits by going to Guild Wars 2 or Aion? Or even Blade and Soul?

(I use those examples because I'm trying to do this from the POV of the NCSoft execs. I suspect one thing they'd love is for this community to move to another of their games. Remember - devil's advocate position here.)

Think about the above - now find a way to counter that argument. Try not to come at it from a purely emotional reaction - what unique aspects of City of Heroes foster the beneficial aspects you've all been talking about and are found NO WHERE else?

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 08:59:58 AM »
Not to say that I disagree with any of this whatsoever, but...

In order to strengthen our argument, I get the idea it would be wise to play a bit of "devils advocate" with you all and ask a question that I'm sure would be a counter-argument. I do this solely in the interest of putting it out there and having you find a way to counter it.

The question is this:  How much of these beneficial aspects are due to any unique nature of City of Heroes, and how much could be attributed to any other MMO out there? Could you not get these same benefits by going to Guild Wars 2 or Aion? Or even Blade and Soul?

(I use those examples because I'm trying to do this from the POV of the NCSoft execs. I suspect one thing they'd love is for this community to move to another of their games. Remember - devil's advocate position here.)

Think about the above - now find a way to counter that argument. Try not to come at it from a purely emotional reaction - what unique aspects of City of Heroes foster the beneficial aspects you've all been talking about and are found NO WHERE else?

General reasons:
City of Heroes offers an incredible creative outlet, with the immensely powerful Character Creator as well as Mission Architect.
City of Heroes is an easy game to learn to play, accessible to younger children and non-gamers.
City of Heroes does not have the 'Holy Trinity', nor is City of Heroes the type of game where if you don't take a specific build you're gimped.
City of Heroes is very friendly to mixed team play, assorted levels, assorted skill levels, assorted archetypes.
City of Heroes Is fairly solo friendly with the right archetype and build.
City of Heroes is very casual player friendly.

A couple of instance specific reasons:
Autistic children or other developmental disabilities: City of Heroes is a very 'bright and shiny' game of superheroes. Young children tend to like bright shiny superheroes.
For those who deal with physical impairments: City of Heroes is a very easy game to play, and can even be played entirely 1 handed. It does not rely on the speed and dexterity of the player.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »
Several of the posts about children have mentioned that they did not respond to other games, only to City of Heroes.  I think it has been observed anecdotally elsewhere that children respond to superheroes when they don't respond to other fantasy/sf images in games.

The game is very family friendly.  Turn on the profanity filter and you really don't have to worry that your kid will see something you would rather he didn't.

You know, I wish that Twixt wasn't such a.....<censored> because this would give him the chance to redeem himself and do some real, valuable research as well as a chance to help save City.

I wish I lived in New Orleans and could scope him out and see if he's a <censored> in real life.  Shouldn't be hard, he teaches at Loyola.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2012, 09:31:51 AM »
Excellent stuff! Keep going!

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2012, 10:58:15 AM »
HOLY COW YES!  TWIXT!  Wait he may or may not still play...Hmm..He does have a loyola.edu email so *cough* We COULD give a huge "Hey Twixt we forgive you can you PLEASE do a paper on *XYZ*  regards to MMO's blahblahblah"  Maybe he'll listen? 

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:22 AM »
Ugh... THAT guy?

Sorry... I think that's a BAD idea. I think he's a sociopath just as likely to sabotage us just to see how we "tick".

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2012, 05:41:12 PM »
Who th' heck is this 'Twixt' chap?

And if he's widely regarded as being a douchenozzle, we probably don't want him representing us.. even if he does it right.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2012, 08:41:18 PM »
http://tyneandwear.sky.com/news/article/39467

This might help some of your sciencey firelighters?
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
Ugh... THAT guy?

Sorry... I think that's a BAD idea. I think he's a sociopath just as likely to sabotage us just to see how we "tick".

That's kinda why I would want someone to scope him out in person over the course of several days to find out if he was just a nerd-turned-bully <censored> or might actually have the germ of a decent person in there.  No way would I want this put to him cold.

Mind you I would much rather have someone who is a good scientist, a decent person, and good academic chops get their teeth into this.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 11:15:11 PM »
Mind you I would much rather have someone who is a good scientist, a decent person, and good academic chops get their teeth into this.

Oh, this gave me an idea.

Who else here is currently in school?  I am referring to higher education, but high school might work as well.

If you answered yes, think about any psychology (or otherwise) professors that you may know.  Are they researchers?  If so, they're probably fairly well-connected to the type of people that Miss Lackey wants us to look for.  I can think of one, and I'll be sending her an email as soon as I hit "post." ;)

SithRose

• Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 11:17:38 PM »
Oh, this gave me an idea.

Who else here is currently in school?  I am referring to higher education, but high school might work as well.

If you answered yes, think about any psychology (or otherwise) professors that you may know.  Are they researchers?  If so, they're probably fairly well-connected to the type of people that Miss Lackey wants us to look for.  I can think of one, and I'll be sending her an email as soon as I hit "post." ;)

It's also worth noting that lots of us with chronic illnesses see specialized doctors...like neurologists and psychiatrists. Who are exactly the kinds of doctors who might have contacts in these research areas.

I know I'll be mentioning it to my neurologist at my next appointment...AND to my psych and my childrens' psych.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 11:38:48 PM »
Seriously one problem that people doing their PhD have is finding a subject to do original research on that is just that--original--and isn't going to cost an arm and a leg to implement.

One thing that people who are already working PhDs have (generally those who are also teaching in universities) is finding a subject to do original research on that is going to be able to generate a grant from SOMEONE and isn't going to cost an arm and a leg to implement.

Psychology, sociology, neurophysiology, even neurochemistry to an extent could ALL find something in what I have proposed for research studies.  I just don't have the connections, nor am I an "interested party," which is why I am asking you (who do, or are) to go out there and find these people and suggest it to them.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »
It's doubtful, but I may know some people that know people.... I'll need to ask around to be sure.  Don't get your hopes up on me though, this is a slim possibility on my end.

Has anyone ever heard of "6 degrees of seperation"? The theory is ....well, I'll use a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

The hard part is getting our friends' friends to do the asking around.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

SithRose

• Elite Boss
  • The Phoenix is coming.
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2012, 11:57:52 PM »
Seriously one problem that people doing their PhD have is finding a subject to do original research on that is just that--original--and isn't going to cost an arm and a leg to implement.

One thing that people who are already working PhDs have (generally those who are also teaching in universities) is finding a subject to do original research on that is going to be able to generate a grant from SOMEONE and isn't going to cost an arm and a leg to implement.

Psychology, sociology, neurophysiology, even neurochemistry to an extent could ALL find something in what I have proposed for research studies.  I just don't have the connections, nor am I an "interested party," which is why I am asking you (who do, or are) to go out there and find these people and suggest it to them.

Well, I've got a very close friend working on his doctorate in IO psych. He's going to see what he can dig up for people working on those kinds of studies.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
General reasons:
City of Heroes offers an incredible creative outlet, with the immensely powerful Character Creator as well as Mission Architect.
City of Heroes is an easy game to learn to play, accessible to younger children and non-gamers.
City of Heroes does not have the 'Holy Trinity', nor is City of Heroes the type of game where if you don't take a specific build you're gimped.
City of Heroes is very friendly to mixed team play, assorted levels, assorted skill levels, assorted archetypes.
City of Heroes Is fairly solo friendly with the right archetype and build.
City of Heroes is very casual player friendly.

A couple of instance specific reasons:
Autistic children or other developmental disabilities: City of Heroes is a very 'bright and shiny' game of superheroes. Young children tend to like bright shiny superheroes.
For those who deal with physical impairments: City of Heroes is a very easy game to play, and can even be played entirely 1 handed. It does not rely on the speed and dexterity of the player.
These are exactly the reasons I love this game over all others I've played. I suffer from severe RA. There are many days when I have only one functioning hand and/or not all of my digits. Can play this game with two fingers. It's more solo player friendly than all of the MMO's I've tried to play. Love to team play when my hands are working but, unfortunately, this is rare.
On COH/COV/COR, I can run, jump,and fly. Also, look darn good in spandex!
This game means a great deal to me! Am pondering doing the marathon. Not sure if I could hold out. Nice to think that I could. Am willing to do whatever to save this game. Helping others at the same time ,also, makes it even cooler!
Thanks everyone for all of your efforts! We will save our game!