Author Topic: An idea...  (Read 1017 times)

TheFlea

• Minion
  • The Grandfather of Spine/SRs in PvP.
An idea...
« on: September 27, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
Ok, since TonyV has said for the artistic types to start getting involved...

Here's the issue. I paint miniatures. I paint them damn well. I will put up a few samples in a moment.

I once had the silly idea to convert miniatures up for folks for their CoH characters for comission. I could work out component costs and all and get that done. But recently GW and others have started to price me the hell out of that so there's no way I could do this on my own funds (my electric bill went up 85%. That says it all.).

But I had this odd idea to push myself and see if possible to convert up miniatures for the Devs and all of their signature characters. Browse ranges, find components, do it. It'd help me improve even more, it'd be something I could do and it'd have some effect of saying thank you at least.

Sample time!

So the question is - sensible plan or no?

As I know I probably couldn't pull this off on my own.

LightofthePhoenix

• Lieutenant
Re: An idea...
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 08:22:58 AM »
Yo, Flea!  Phe here.

I think this would be an awesome way to thank the devs for everything they've done.  I'm sure the metal minis of Games Workshop are hella expensive.  One of the reasons I've never gotten into Warhammer 40k myself. (That, and a complete and utter lack of artistic ability, especially at such a scale...)  But have you considered going the plastic route?  I'm thinking Heroclix would be cheaper and easier for you to get a hold of to chop into bits.  There's already a great deal of character models out there.  And the most recent (and therefore probably easiest to obtain) sets have some pretty awesome detail in the molds.

Of course some of the devs (Positron and Black Scorpion in particular, don't know if Ghost Widow was still a part of the team or not) already have Heroclix minis of their characters but you might still be able to make new ones for them.  Maybe give Black Scorpion a more dynamic pose.
My CoH documentary class project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcFC197rfQ

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
Re: An idea...
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 09:20:17 AM »
I second customizing HeroCliks.  I used to know someone who did just that; the commons are ridiculously cheap, and using a plastic-bonding glue you can chop and change to your heart's content, then paint up.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido