Author Topic: Make Hill & Knowlton Strategies feel the heat?  (Read 4165 times)

frostcoh

• Minion
Make Hill & Knowlton Strategies feel the heat?
« on: September 27, 2012, 03:57:10 PM »
H&K Strategies does the PR for NcSoft.  I have a feeling NcSoft isn't high up on H&K's list right now this being a political season etc.  Do we think maybe we need to start making (polite) phone calls to them alerting the company to the issues that NcSoft is having due to bad PR? 

I'm trying to get #savecoh right now to flood their #hkstart tag with this document don't know if it will go anywhere though.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjrAo1HdYNiddGFha0dnTzF3OEE2Nm4wUlRwSWlMRmc#gid=0

frostcoh

• Minion
Re: Make Hill & Knowlton Strategies feel the heat?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:08:19 PM »
Awww... look who was stupid enough to allow wall posts from anyone.

https://www.facebook.com/hkstrategies

StarRanger4

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:24 PM »
*sigh*

Ummm, My advice is to not.  This is a PR firm.  First of all, they're just a contractor.  They give their advice to NC Soft, but its up to NC Soft to take it or not.

Second of all, THIS IS A PR FIRM.  Are you SURE you wanna draw negative attention from people who DO THIS FOR A LIVING???

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:14:49 PM »
While I advise against poking the sleeping bear with a sharp stick, I do find it amusingly amateurish that their FB page is set that way.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
While I advise against poking the sleeping bear with a sharp stick, I do find it amusingly amateurish that their FB page is set that way.

HELLLLLLO, YOU'D THINK A PR FIRM WOULD KNOW BETTER!

I used caps, because, yes, I was screaming in my head when I typed that.

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:19:44 PM »
This could just as easily backfire and make all of us look bad.

I would like to be excused from the blast radius, sir.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »
This could just as easily backfire and make all of us look bad.

I would like to be excused from the blast radius, sir.

Permission granted, soldier. >.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »
Heroes and Gentlevillains, let me remind you that talking to the PR firm in a mass media/social media format is not a bad idea. Just remember that we are men and women of poise, taste, and professionalism. Leave your Brutes and your Blasters aside, and let the Masterminds and Defenders speak to them. Be professional. Be polite. Do not assume they have not seen the burning bubble, but politely point out the highlights to them just in case something has been overlooked in their busy business day.

It cannot hurt; PR firms are not in business to trash people for trying to bring data to their attention. Don't attack; treat them as interested parties. Remember; the man who rules the world best will be the one who has made all in it his allies.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:25:34 PM »
Heroes and Gentlevillains, let me remind you that talking to the PR firm in a mass media/social media format is not a bad idea. Just remember that we are men and women of poise, taste, and professionalism. Leave your Brutes and your Blasters aside, and let the Masterminds and Defenders speak to them. Be professional. Be polite. Do not assume they have not seen the burning bubble, but politely point out the highlights to them just in case something has been overlooked in their busy business day.

It cannot hurt; PR firms are not in business to trash people for trying to bring data to their attention. Don't attack; treat them as interested parties. Remember; the man who rules the world best will be the one who has made all in it his allies.

...what about the Dominators? *shifty eyes*

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 04:26:21 PM »

That.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 04:27:05 PM »
Yeah, not really a fan of this.   This is not good will, and if we're going to attack, this is not who we want to talk.

Basically.  If you're going to physically protest a Corporation, don't hassle the private security guard.   He isn't really a representative of what you hate.   Hes a guy with a job.   You hate the corporation and its ideology, not the folks that want to eat and happen to work there.   And even though he's just a guy, he totally has the ability to order you off. (Or in the case of some private security, mace you, haul you off and THEN call the cops and still be in the right :D)

PR firms are 'Image' security.   Right now that security guard is leaving us alone.   I don't want to get maced because you said "Come at me, bro" :D

I don't think it will help our efforts.   We need to stay on target.

(Apologies for any typos!)
~Catgirl Eve

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
Yeah, not really a fan of this.   This is not good will, and if we're going to attack, this is not who we want to talk.

Basically.  If you're going to physically protest a Corporation, don't hassle the private security guard.   He isn't really a representative of what you hate.   Hes a guy with a job.   You hate the corporation and its ideology, not the folks that want to eat and happen to work there.   And even though he's just a guy, he totally has the ability to order you off. (Or in the case of some private security, mace you, haul you off and THEN call the cops and still be in the right :D)

This isn't about attacking HK this is about making them aware they are representing a client with a serious PR issue, and how that client can fix it (sell the IP).
PR firms are 'Image' security.   Right now that security guard is leaving us alone.   I don't want to get maced because you said "Come at me, bro" :D

I don't think it will help our efforts.   We need to stay on target.

(Apologies for any typos!)
~Catgirl Eve

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 04:33:39 PM »
Joking aside, there's no harm in civil and polite discourse with the security guard. Security guards will generally not mace you if you make a few polite inquiries along the lines of 'are you aware of this' and 'do you have an actual response to this'. I strongly urge that we do not, as a community, pound their gates. If inquiries are made, I advise a few individuals of sufficient tact and gentility approach them.

Am I afraid of the backlash these guys could dish out if things go ugly? Not really. But that doesn't mean I want the headache of stomping them flat, either. It's better to play nice-nice with the angry bear than it is to kick it in the face.

frostcoh

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »
a single polite, non threatening e-mail asking what their position is on the Paragon Studios/City of Heroes situation cannot hurt. 

Polite, discrete, subtle.... passive.

Nafaustu

• Boss
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 04:54:53 PM »
Joking aside, there's no harm in civil and polite discourse with the security guard. Security guards will generally not mace you if you make a few polite inquiries along the lines of 'are you aware of this' and 'do you have an actual response to this'. I strongly urge that we do not, as a community, pound their gates. If inquiries are made, I advise a few individuals of sufficient tact and gentility approach them.

Am I afraid of the backlash these guys could dish out if things go ugly? Not really. But that doesn't mean I want the headache of stomping them flat, either. It's better to play nice-nice with the angry bear than it is to kick it in the face.

This i'm less opposed to, I just get very concern whenever facebook flooding gets involved.   Make me think of troll tactics and we've been awesome about avoiding those so far.   If we want to have our PR people touch their PR people that's something else.

Siberian Spring

• Lieutenant
    • Live Creatively
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2012, 05:17:53 PM »
An angry mob is easy to turn back on itself, PR-wise. It's hard to turn polite against a cause. Stay polite, my friends.

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 11:43:39 PM »

*snickers*
Somebody's never been on Pinn after dark apparantly. :-p

I mean, +1
Seriously though, why bring up the PR firm or attempt to involve them at all. They have no real bearing on what's going on as far as I can tell.
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »
It is, however, a VERY good idea to contact them, and make sure they know how thoroughly their client is shooting itself in the foot.

Because, among other things, the client can turn around and demand their money back since the PR firm did not sufficiently protect it from shooting itself in the foot.

We're doing them a service, really.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 11:53:11 PM »
These guys don't have any say in what goes down. They're a firm to make NCSoft look better, but they don't choose what NCSoft does. At worst they just polish the turd. Maybe they could advise them to sell or maybe they've advised them to remain silent as a way to generate good PR, but either way they're not the ones actually making any decisions. If anything they've probably already made them aware of the negative PR they have and what they can do about it.

This would be like trying to convince a fry cook at McDonalds I frequent to have him sell my car to you. It makes no sense.