Author Topic: The (False) Hope of the day  (Read 1946 times)

Harermuir

• Minion
The (False) Hope of the day
« on: September 27, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »
http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/26/will-asian-online-game-publishers-nexon-and-ncsoft-buy-blockbuster-publisher-valve/

So some NC executives have met some Steam executives. Not officially because NCsoft intend to buy Valve. Sounds strange, particulary in time of " realignment of company focus and publishing support". Sound strange with such a short offer for Valve.

And I cant stop thinking that if only the whereabout of this conference was something totally different ...

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: The (False) Hope of the day
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 06:32:21 PM »
http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/26/will-asian-online-game-publishers-nexon-and-ncsoft-buy-blockbuster-publisher-valve/

So some NC executives have met some Steam executives. Not officially because NCsoft intend to buy Valve. Sounds strange, particulary in time of " realignment of company focus and publishing support". Sound strange with such a short offer for Valve.

And I cant stop thinking that if only the whereabout of this conference was something totally different ...

There's already been a lot of wild speculation on this in another thread. The timing does seem awfully weird though.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Teege

• Boss
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 07:43:55 PM »
You know what's really curious about the timing of this 'announcement'?
NCSoft's current share price...

Basically, NCSoft's stock is lower now than it was just before they announced the closure of CoH. Nowhere near as low as it dropped in July though, when their Q2 losses were announced, but a steady decline nevertheless. Between then and now we've had a hike from the news they were laying off Paragon Studios, and a further hike when GW2 was launched. But now the shares are slipping again.

If I were a suspicious man (and I bloody well am ;) ) I'd be thinking the timing of this story about NCSoft being interested in acquiring Valve is just a little too convenient when you consider that such news would likely - good heavens, no really? - cause NCSoft's share prices to rise in the next day or so as speculators gamble the rumour may be true?

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »
Just to correct you... the NCsoft financials for Q2 were not released until 8th August (at least according to their website).
Ah yes, you're absolutely right - and all the news reports are dated Aug 8th too. Curiously, the share price hit its absolute low on July 19th...presumably then someone somewhere knew a couple of weeks beforehand what those Q2 figures were going to say...

Tanglefoe

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:09:58 PM »
Is it not a possibility that they met to discuss the sale of the CoH IP?  Just saying, because this is a (False) hope thread and all.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 11:19:13 PM »
Is it not a possibility that they met to discuss the sale of the CoH IP?  Just saying, because this is a (False) hope thread and all.

As my Jewish friends say "From your mouth to God's ear."
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 11:20:17 PM »

This wouldn't be false hope. It being a rumor and not at all grounded in reality gives me more hope.

If this happened, I'd download private non-steam versions of all of my games that I could (at least those that even work without steam) and freeze my Steam account and uninstall the platform and basically be 100% done with digital distribution of games until retail stores closed forever, at which point my only gaming hobby would be PnP gaming.

Nexon can barely handle their own games right (DFO and AO are basically riddled with bugs), and we've seen what NCSoft leadership does to titles they don't understand even if they're making a profit, so long as that game isn't equally popular in their primary market.

I'm not waiting for TF2 or Bastion or something else in my library to become tomorrow's Tabula Rasa or CoH.

(Or rather, I wouldn't be waiting, if presuming this was true and it's not)