Author Topic: Save City of Heroes: T-shirt Campaign  (Read 5330 times)

Lunar

• Underling
Save City of Heroes: T-shirt Campaign
« on: September 27, 2012, 11:00:47 PM »
I know that I haven't posted here but one time, but I have been *cough* obsessively *cough* watching the forum for news, and what I've noticed both here and in game is that a lot of people are losing heart.

I enjoy standing in front of Atlas Park holding a torch and/or pop dancing as much as the next person. I've been out there every day/night since the rally with one Level 50 toon or another (mostly my main Hero), and I've made some wonderful friends in the process. They are the most faithful, devoted bunch of people whom I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, and I love them all. Anyway, I have participated in marches and in game events, and even created/leveled a few new toons. I poured my heart out on my newly created blog (lunarunderfire.blogspot.com) which, by the way, I'll be writing another entry on within the next few days. I even sent NCsoft two certified letters.

All of these are great ideas, but guys, it's time to take City of Heroes to the real world. I have spoken with a few people about this idea in game, but I'd like to make it official. I would like to start a Save City of Heroes t-shirt campaign.

What you do is:

1. Go to your local craft shoppe and pick up a package of custom iron-on transfers. You can also find them online. Here is a link to where I purchased mine from:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/404215/Avery-Personal-Creations-Stretchable-T-Shirt/?Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=72430D1B-EC81-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:keyword={keyword}&cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Googlepla-_-Paper+Art_Craft_Papers-_-404215&mr:ad=22726153556&mr:adType=pla&mr:filter=44277093356

2. Either buy a new t-shirt - it doesn't have to be expensive - or grab an old one. Make sure it's clean!

3. Print off one of the existing Save City of Heroes banners, or better, be creative and design your own! It could be of your toon, your favourite place in Paragon City/the Rogue Isles, it doesn't matter. Just make it appropriate.

*****MAKE SURE THAT YOU INCLUDE TEXT SAYING "SAVE CITY OF HEROES!"*****

4. Print off your design, iron it onto your t-shirt, and wear it!

5. This is the biggest one - TAKE A PICTURE OF YOURSELF WEARING YOUR T-SHIRT! NCsoft has read our letters, noticed our outcry, but have they seen our faces? Let's put a face to our voices, and hey, let's have a few people ask us questions about our t-shirts that we're more than happy to answer.

I'd like to ask Tony V to create an area where we can post all of the pictures that people take of themselves collectively. What's more important than being seen, is being seen as a community.

So... Thoughts?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:37:46 AM by Lunar »

chasearcanum

• Boss
Re: Save City of Heroes: T-shirt Campaign
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:29:50 PM »
Since this is a personalized self-made t-shirt, I'd even suggest using your own character on it. 

"Be a Hero"
  (dynamically-posed personal caracter)
                                 "Save City of Heroes"

Back Blast

• Minion
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:56:18 PM »
Perhaps Tony could set up an 'official' shirt store using the banner art being used to spread the word. Any proceeds could go to supporting Titan.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 12:00:42 AM »
Perhaps Tony could set up an 'official' shirt store using the banner art being used to spread the word. Any proceeds could go to supporting Titan.

If this happens, I have designs to submit. A "blue" design and a "red" design.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:21:35 AM »
this would probably work better as a grassroots effort.

Making your own t-shirt with NCSoft art assets or IP (even a name) would probably not get you into trouble.  Selling them would.

Its kinda like how Marvel can't object much to cosplayers, but if you make and SELL a Spider-Man costume, expect a call from their lawyers.

Back Blast

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:12:56 AM »
this would probably work better as a grassroots effort.

Making your own t-shirt with NCSoft art assets or IP (even a name) would probably not get you into trouble.  Selling them would.

Its kinda like how Marvel can't object much to cosplayers, but if you make and SELL a Spider-Man costume, expect a call from their lawyers.

Oops. Good point. Well surely something that's just text, like Tony's 'We are heroes...' and perhaps the hashtag would be ok? I don't expect those could be infringing.

Creepy Candy

• Underling
  • Don't Closet Me and I Won't Out You... Maybe.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:16:30 AM »
I think that's a great idea.  I've seen the other websites for T-Shirts, but I wasn't sure where my money would be going - if it becomes at all possible that CoH continues, I want to support that effort instead as I have limited funds.  It hadn't occurred to me to get a t-shirt and then send a photo of it!  So this I will do.  Thanks for the great idea, Lunar!

Peace, the Dancing Creepy's.
@rainbowserpent
- Don't closet me and I won't out you
@Rainbow Serpent (CoX), @Sapphicserpent (NW)

Lunar

• Underling
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 01:26:10 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 01:36:20 AM by Lunar »

Lunar

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 01:27:12 AM »
I think that's a great idea.  I've seen the other websites for T-Shirts, but I wasn't sure where my money would be going - if it becomes at all possible that CoH continues, I want to support that effort instead as I have limited funds.  It hadn't occurred to me to get a t-shirt and then send a photo of it!  So this I will do.  Thanks for the great idea, Lunar!

Peace, the Dancing Creepy's.
@rainbowserpent

Woohoo! Thank you so much! <3

Pearl Dragon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 01:39:02 AM »
Good Idea!  You could also wear them to your local game seller on big release dates ( I think there are some big release dates coming up ).  Maybe print one of the Save CoH banners, put it in your car window, and park near the door too.

Lunar

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 02:02:48 AM »
Good Idea!  You could also wear them to your local game seller on big release dates ( I think there are some big release dates coming up ).  Maybe print one of the Save CoH banners, put it in your car window, and park near the door too.

Awesome idea, Pearl! It would also be helpful to wear them to work if you are employed by a big-name company; that is, if you happen to have the leisure of casual dress.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 02:17:38 AM »
I'd say Atlas Park 33 is legally marketable as well.

Teege

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 02:23:28 AM »
I'd say Atlas Park 33 is legally marketable as well.

There's an Atlas Park mall and an Atlas Park theater to name a few, so yes it should be. Just be mindful of any copyrighted images/IP on the shirt and I don't see why you wouldn't be okay.
Keep fighting the good fight!

@Teege - Virtue

www.cohtitan.com

LT. Couper

• Boss
  • The battle won't end until it's won!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 03:48:49 AM »
So would having a picture of your toons be infringing at all? Such as, say, a screenshot that may have some of the city in the background, rather than a more 'fanart' image?
"Heroes may die, but heroism never shall." ~Cyrus "Breakneck" Thompson

chasearcanum

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 03:57:47 AM »
So would having a picture of your toons be infringing at all? Such as, say, a screenshot that may have some of the city in the background, rather than a more 'fanart' image?

I'm not a lawyer, but if you made it yourself for your own use as described in the OP, they'd be hard pressed to do anything about it beyond a bad-PR bluster.  There'd be no damages incurred to encourage an actual push to a suit and it falls so far within the boundaries commonly used for considering "fair use" that actually pursuing any complaint against you would be throwing money away. 

Patribot

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 05:11:08 AM »
I just read this, ran to the store and picked up t-shirts and printable transfers. Now to make a couple SaveCoH shirts to wear at the Gaming Hoopla in Janesville, WI this weekend (It's not a computer gaming convention, but rather our Boardgame Geek Cousins). I will let anyone who asks about it EVERYTHING about the game, the shutdown and what we are doing to try to save our community.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 06:15:20 AM »
Just remember that you can't print white (with normal printers).
As someone who wears black all the time, it's so frustrating! I've messed with self-made iron-ons and they work great, but sadly... I can't print white onto my black shirts (I mean, I knew this going into it.. just saying).

Anyway, I'll see if I can get an actual print shop to whip up one for me or something.
Kinda forgot about it... I was meaning to do that before.
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Patribot

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »
I was able to get Avery Dark Fabric Transfers at Wal-Mart for about $9. There are only 5 sheets in the package, so make sure you test your design on plain paper before printing.

Two other tips here. 1) When you print these out DO NOT flip the design as you would with regular t-shirt transfers. 2) Make sure you take the backing paper OFF the tranfer BEFORE applying heat. (In case you couldn't tell, this one is how I messed-up my first attempt at a Villain t-shirt this evening.)

Used one of the "We are heroes, this is what we do" logos and will also be making a SaveCoH shirt out of a massive group picture from the unity rally. The first one looks really good, crossing my figers on the next one. Then off to bed, long day tomorrow. (Why do I always get these "brilliant" ideas right before bed?)

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 01:20:24 AM »
What you do is:

3. Print off one of the existing Save City of Heroes banners, or better, be creative and design your own! It could be of your toon, your favourite place in Paragon City/the Rogue Isles, it doesn't matter. Just make it appropriate.

Awesome idea!

I just wanted folks to know that the banners I made for SAVE COH, were made for the web, and have a low dpi and may not look great when printed, but I can make those designs at a higher dpi for your tees.  Also you don't have worry about IP infringement, because I didn't use anything that NCSoft owns.  Let me know what dimensions (size) are needed for the iron on transfers.

For reference, I made these

Patribot

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2012, 04:07:04 AM »
I used this one at the top of the composite picture from the first Unity Rally on one of the shirts I made to wear at the Gaming Hoopla this weekend.