Author Topic: Gangnam Heroes video?  (Read 4904 times)

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
Gangnam Heroes video?
« on: September 28, 2012, 09:59:03 AM »
Maybe an idea for the creative people among us, using PSY's Gangnam style to make a Save City of Heroes video ("Heroes dance for the City?" :P).
Considering how popular the song is at the moment, it might make a good way to get some more visibility (Post something about saving CoH in the description along with some links such as the petition).

Roderick

• Minion
Re: Gangnam Heroes video?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:13:18 AM »
I remember seeing a discussion in the Media section of the official forums where people had decoded the numbers used when a model ragdolled, and some were talking about using it to create custom animations in demo files. I wonder if anyone ever got anywhere with that.

If so, and someone were able to piece together the dance that way, I could totally see D-Mac taking the lead, though he probably isn't Hero-ish looking enough, nor iconic enough in the game. Dead or not, States is probably still the most iconic hero of the game.

If someone were to make it, I think I'd name it "Hero Style".

pandora114

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:14:33 AM »
I would pay for a booster pack containing the Gangnam style dance.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 11:36:05 AM »
LOL, yeah! I imagine a lot of people would!
Aion actually did something like that with the "Wonder Girls" dance emotes - just like PSY the Wonder Girls are Korean.
When you use the mote and your character dances the tune of song it's linked to even plays (just without vocals, kinda similar to our Boombox emote, except with a unique dance and tune). =P

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »
http://youtu.be/RqG8gnqDy2g

Had to share. Sorry.
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 12:32:26 PM »
http://youtu.be/RqG8gnqDy2g

Had to share. Sorry.
LOL! Can't wait to watch that one when I get home and have sound! XD

Leandro

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:22:15 PM »
Someone requested this of me already, but my attempts to get even _close_ to the gangnam moves using the ragdoll editor were a complete failure.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 04:03:25 PM »
* DrakeGrimm does the horsey dance around the thread
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »
Gangam Style dance animated in Skyrim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8C4TCpdYlA

Perhaps the principles are the same, animation-wise?
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 06:43:29 PM »
Gangam Style dance animated in Skyrim:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8C4TCpdYlA

Perhaps the principles are the same, animation-wise?
Man, and that after taking an arrow in the knee!
Those guys are pros!

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2012, 07:21:07 PM »
So I'm not the only one imagining States or some other siggies doing that dance, then?

(The damn thing is too catchy.)

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
So I'm not the only one imagining States or some other siggies doing that dance, then?
Recluse?

No, wait, I've got it.  Wretch.  :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Knightward

• Minion
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 08:06:21 PM »
If anyone can get an animation for it to work, I can contribute a number of goofy characters for it.

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2012, 09:03:28 PM »
Please spread the word to any animation experts.  Even mediocre Gangnam animations receive millions of visitors at the moment, and few could make a dance of HUNDREDS of unique avatars so a video could actually achieve a unique spin on the meme.

Its origin country may be a bonus in the efforts.

CoolFlare

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2012, 09:05:16 PM »
i saw this one the other day and this would be cool but use maybe the tantrum emote and the dance pack that we have in the game also to get some of the moves and work with the other stuff that they have and just edit what ya need....

http://youtu.be/OV_PtO1sGow
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 09:11:43 PM by CoolFlare »

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »
Please spread the word to any animation experts.  Even mediocre Gangnam animations receive millions of visitors at the moment, and few could make a dance of HUNDREDS of unique avatars so a video could actually achieve a unique spin on the meme.

Its origin country may be a bonus in the efforts.
Yeah, that was what gave me the idea - that song spread like wildfire through the internet, earlier in the office a colleague of mine was goofing around after seeing it too (doing the Horsey dance on his way back to his desk =P).

CoolFlare

• Underling
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 09:37:15 PM »
the closest we have in the music emotes that we have for dance to the horsey dance is the drum dance emote. (yes I went into the game just to see if we had anything close to it...lol.) If someone could do the video like the one I just showed earlier with the Iconic Characters then that would be cool. I would do it but I have no clue as to how to capture the video from the game and have no editing skills....lol

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 09:46:39 PM »
I support this project. Sadly, I lack any of the skills or talents needed for it. Good luck, heroes!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Xenos

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 11:08:32 PM »
I am glad that someone is making this suggestion...the same idea has been kicking around my head for the last week.

A few things to point out...

PSY is Korean, and even though the huge success of this song in the West had Korean's initially puzzled (http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/08/28/gangnam-style-viral-popularity-in-u-s-has-koreans-puzzled-gratified/), it's also getting very popular with them now.

NCSoft's Korean HQ is in the fancy Gangnam district that PSY's song is referring to (http://global.ncsoft.com/global/careers/info.aspx). So choosing this song is very appropriate for our message.

And lastly, even though the song appears to be fairly superficial, it actually represents a subversive criticism of the superficial Gangnam lifestyle (http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/08/gangnam-style-dissected-the-subversive-message-within-south-koreas-music-video-sensation/261462/). Here's a quick quote from the article in the Atlantic:
"Koreans have been kind of caught up in this spending to look wealthy, and Gangnam has really been the leading edge of that," Hong said. "I think a lot of what [Psy] is pointing out is how silly that is. The whole video is about him thinking he's a hotshot but then realizing he's just, you know, at a children's playground, or thinking he's playing polo or something and realizes he's on a merry-go-round."

I know I won't have the time to do it, but I think it's a good idea. And ultimately, it is not essential that we have a "horsey dance" emote...though that would be nice. Take the idea of the video and spin it for our story. Play up the corporate aspect (with a finger pointed at NCSoft), or make fun of the high end Freedom Phalanx superhero lifestyle. Many opportunities here.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 11:10:02 PM »
Uh, yeah.
Seconded.

Chaos Ex Machina

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 11:48:14 PM »
A few of the dance emotes have animations that can mimic the gangnam dance to a degree.

A properly equipped person could mix the frames of the multiple dances together.

Then you get a ton of costumes and we get a thousand heroes doing gangnam style in a video no other gangnam parody has attempted.

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2012, 06:50:11 PM »
A few of the dance emotes have animations that can mimic the gangnam dance to a degree.

A properly equipped person could mix the frames of the multiple dances together.

Then you get a ton of costumes and we get a thousand heroes doing gangnam style in a video no other gangnam parody has attempted.
Yeah, it wouldn't have to be exacty all the same dance moves - as long as it's something fitting.
And as Xenos said, plenty of themes to pick from  ;D

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 11:20:21 PM »

Leandro?

Tim?

Or is this making your heads explode?
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »
We should do this at NY Comic Con of people in their City of Heroes Costumes and then post it to YouTube.

;D

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 05:13:13 AM »
Of course I began pondering a parody of Gotye's "somebody I used to know" on our situation....

Knightslayer

• Elite Boss
    • Monster Game!
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 07:06:11 AM »
I think that its hit number 1 in several countries has made their head explode (yes, its Number 1 in the UK right now >.< )
A friend's 10 year old kid told me the kids in his school are all doing the dance! :P
Pretty damn unusual for something that pretty much spread through the internet to make it that deep into society over here. (Belgium)