Author Topic: Siege Mode: The Wall Cracks  (Read 6621 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Siege Mode: The Wall Cracks
« on: September 28, 2012, 07:03:56 PM »
I figure it's about time for a new one of these. Time and deafening silence is creating emotional entropy. Some of us are feeling rather dejected, and that's entirely understandable. However, it is time to stop feeling miserable and step back up.

For a long time I've referred to this stage of the movement as 'Siege Mode.' In effect, we are besieging the walls of NCSoft, hoping to pressure them into doing what we want: sell the IP to someone who wants to develop it further and continue the game. We've pushed for media exposure, sent letters, mailed masks, posted capes. We have several new ideas bandying about the board, including sending flowers and invitations for the execs to come join us. More than that, we've seen our community come together to support our own in times of need: three heroes who needed a hand up in a difficult time, another hero who is down--but not out--due to medical conditions, and many more instances of amazing heroism within our very own community.

Our story has touched the hearts and minds of others. Indeed, players of other games are standing up to take notice. A famous bard from another game has joined our fight, spreading the word across the many digital realms, far and wide. We are working on organizing a media event day of some kind, and several of us(myself included) have stepped forward to assist in this year's Extra Life event in October.

All of this has been pressure against the walls of NCSoft. Every time a news story posts, each time one of us steps up to share our stories, every single moment that we refuse to stay silent, we put more pressure on NCSoft.

The walls are cracking. Our masks and capes are being received. Our voices are being heard. Our development team had a fantastic dinner, that we provided, and spirits were high. The Call has gone out, and by $deity this community strapped on its mud-sloshing shoes and we dove in hip-deep.

TonyV has achieved an amazing thing, with his words and spirit. That spirit has been echoed back by us. I have never been more proud of my City.

Our rally cry has pierced the darkness and been heard throughout the internet. Our petition has reached over 20,000 signatures(20,127 as of this writing!) and continues to go strong. Spread the link around to anybody you might have missed, let our cause be known. Send emails, IMs, post to Facebook, tweet it to Twitter.

The only way a siege fails is if the siegers go home. Do not lose faith. Do not lose hope. Stand your ground, shoulder to shoulder with your brothers and sisters in arms, hero and villain united in singular purpose. The walls are cracking! We are having effect!

RALLY WITH ME! Post your renewed dedication here! Let the community know that our voices are NOT tapering off! Our will is strong, our convictions sharp, and our determination unbroken!

We are heroes! THIS IS WHAT WE DO!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
Re: Siege Mode: The Wall Cracks
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 07:10:51 PM »
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 07:14:37 PM »
*thumbs up*

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 10:23:18 PM »
We can give a better showing than this! Come on guys! AP33! AP33!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:27:12 PM »
RALLY WITH ME! Post your renewed dedication here! Let the community know that our voices are NOT tapering off! Our will is strong, our convictions sharp, and our determination unbroken!
I had so much to catch up on by the time I checked in today that I initially missed this last part of your original post.

Rest assured that I'm going nowhere.  I am too stubborn to move. :)
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:34:33 PM »
Vickie holds vigil in AP on Pinnacle.  The only time she is not there is when I have been demorecording other toons, or my system rebooted whilst I was asleep.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

EClark

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 10:50:13 PM »
Honestly, I was ready to pack it all in. What did 20,000 signatures really matter in the grand scheme of things. What were we doing here, what was the ultimate goal anymore, what change had we made, really.
Then, just on impulse, I read the Forum Testimonials.... reading the thread, it finally hit me... we already won.
Twenty THOUSAND people came together for ONE PURPOSE. You can't get 20 people to agree on the toppings on a pizza, but we have TWENTY THOUSAND people saying WE SUPPORT THIS!!
That is no small feat.
This GAME created Heroes in the most real sense. 'We are Heroes, this is what we do.' goes beyond this game or the computer terminal after we shut it off. It stays with us. The Heroes we created to play a game have become a real part of us. Whether it is because we made them a part, or they were always there waiting is irrelevant, you ARE Heroes now, each and every one of you. I am proud to stand with you now, and be counted among you.
We will win, because we already have.

mrultimate

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »
I have complete faith that we will prevail. November 30th is close but yet far away. Tony and the Titan Network team ...y'all are simply amazing.
Ms. Lackey you are every bit a hero a HERO as Wonder Woman, Batgirl, Supergirl etc etc. The CoH community is a awesome group! We will avenge this travesty. "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!"

Stormy Weathermaker

• Minion
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 10:52:42 PM »
Vickie holds vigil in AP on Pinnacle.  The only time she is not there is when I have been demorecording other toons, or my system rebooted whilst I was asleep.

I have seen you there every time that I log in (when I can) and I stand with you as long as I am able  ;D I'm not a guru by any means of the imagination and would love to know how you can hold a torch and have the message stay above your head at the same time  ???  If I could find a way to stay in AP without the game auto logging me out after a certain amount of time, I'd put Stormy there for as long as possible

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 10:56:42 PM »
I have seen you there every time that I log in (when I can) and I stand with you as long as I am able  ;D I'm not a guru by any means of the imagination and would love to know how you can hold a torch and have the message stay above your head at the same time  ???  If I could find a way to stay in AP without the game auto logging me out after a certain amount of time, I'd put Stormy there for as long as possible

Start an AE (Mission Architect) arc.  The game uses the same logic for AE arcs as for TFs.  A toon on TF does not autolog, ever.

Use /em holdtorch or ;holdtorch

Copy and paste this into the chat line  /afk Vigil to help Save COH tinyurl.com/SaveParagon

You now have an AFK message over your head to tell people why you are there and send them here, the only time that will vanish is if someone buffs you or sends you a tell

You are now holding a torch for as long as you stand there and don't move.  Some buffs make it go away

You will not be autologged.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
You now have an AFK message over your head to tell people why you are there and send them here, the only time that will vanish is if someone buffs you or sends you a tell.

You are now holding a torch for as long as you stand there and don't move.  Some buffs make it go away.

This is happening with increasing regularity.

Also, now that I have what appears to be reliable power, I'm keeping CoH running on at least one computer, as much as possible. As I write this, though, I realize I'm on the computer that I left it on overnight, and it rebooted for an update.

Must to go fix.  :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »
I am, unfortunately, suffering from recurring BSODs or I'd leave my comp on as well.  Something screwy with my sound.

But I am there in spirit!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 03:54:26 PM »
And, I realize that not everyone has more than one computer.  I have desktop machine and a laptop, each with very different use requirements, but the laptop is sufficient to run the game as long as I stand in one place and hold a single object.  :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 04:02:40 PM »
Start an AE (Mission Architect) arc.  The game uses the same logic for AE arcs as for TFs.  A toon on TF does not autolog, ever.

Use /em holdtorch or ;holdtorch

Copy and paste this into the chat line  /afk Vigil to help Save COH tinyurl.com/SaveParagon

You now have an AFK message over your head to tell people why you are there and send them here, the only time that will vanish is if someone buffs you or sends you a tell

You are now holding a torch for as long as you stand there and don't move.  Some buffs make it go away

You will not be autologged.

^^  This.

I have my wife's character, and my dear Crystallum doing this EXACT thing.  The only time they are not tehre is due to server maintenance, or I'm playing a character.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 05:19:14 PM »

Could you combat this by creating a macro of akf/holdtorch and auto-queuing it?
Save City of Heroes | http://www.ourcityofheroes.com/

MajorDurand

• Underling
    • Cats, Archaeology and Mayem
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 05:51:49 PM »
I've been MIA because I'm out of town, but come Monday, I'll be back on Pinnacle holding my torch aloft.

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 09:12:39 PM »
Could you combat this by creating a macro of akf/holdtorch and auto-queuing it?

Can't auto-queue in-game macros, so you would need an external macro system. At which point you might not be able to make it loop properly.

I know the gaming keyboard I have has macros that I could use, but I can't loop them.. so I'd have to basically do:
em holdtorch
afk blahblah
wait 5 minutes
em holdtorch
afk blahblah
wait 5 minutes
etc. for like.. 8 hours.

Angelus Animi

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 05:09:17 AM »
This is the latest video I've done.  Kinda fits with your post  :)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 05:24:43 AM »
...video? >.>;

Angelus Animi

• Lieutenant