Author Topic: The unicorn invasion has begun on the official forums  (Read 9573 times)

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
The unicorn invasion has begun on the official forums
« on: September 30, 2012, 06:41:22 PM »
It'll be hard to say for sure, until a new thread gets posted there about something SaveCoH-related, but it appears that there is now a tiny group of users who are derailing SaveCoH threads with aggressive debates about social/political/religious issues, that when the forums had moderators, would've been deleted in a heart-beat. If my fears are correct, and the forums are now running without moderation, we're going to see total anarchy there within a very short time.

And... wow, umm... the word pertaining to an evil forum user gets changed to unicorn? Is there a humorous back story to that?

P51mus

• Boss
  • aka Pitho
Re: The unicorn invasion has begun on the official forums
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »
It's probably to prevent people from accusing others of being trolls.

Burnt Toast

• Elite Boss
  • Tastes Good!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »
Stuff like this is what makes me upset. To me it is nothing but a tarnish on the community; especially the community doing everything they can to save CoH.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »
It's a strange phenomenon, and I saw this happen with SWG before. What seems to happen, is you have some people who play the game who really do see it as 'just a game', but don't share the same passion for it that we do. People who are almost immune to attachment. You don't get any trouble from them for years because they're just doing their thing. Then something like the shutdown announcement happens, the rest of the community goes into an uproar, and then that apathetic group rolls their eyes and starts telling everyone to get a life.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 07:27:13 PM »
Overall, I honestly don't think there are players out there that go deliberately peeing in other peoples cereal over there.
On the contrary, we have several self-admitted unicorns over there. Also, there are others who try on the troll hat once in a while but are generally good people.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Zolgar

• Grand Poobah of Plan Z
  • Boss
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:41:58 PM »
It's a strange phenomenon, and I saw this happen with SWG before. What seems to happen, is you have some people who play the game who really do see it as 'just a game', but don't share the same passion for it that we do. People who are almost immune to attachment. You don't get any trouble from them for years because they're just doing their thing. Then something like the shutdown announcement happens, the rest of the community goes into an uproar, and then that apathetic group rolls their eyes and starts telling everyone to get a life.

Immune to attachment? No. Just less attached to physical things.
The biggest reason I'm involved with this fight is that I have friends for whom this game means a hell of a lot, and I don't personally see why it should be shut down.

For me personally, I have a very limited attachment to City of Heroes, that has dwindled over the last year as my life has taken a pretty notable change of direction. I have a lot to do IRL, and a lot of things to spend my time on that don't include playing an MMORPG. I still play video games when I can, but that's nowhere near as often as it used to be. Personally, I've pretty well come to terms with the shut down, as in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really affect me much at all. At the end of the day it is 'just a game'. The community will be there, somewhere else, after the shut down.. and any of your "great friends" you stop having any contact with because the game is no more.. weren't that much of friends.

That's not to say we shouldn't try to save it though, it's just to say that.. people who aren't as up in arms over this as some are just as valid and just as human as anyone else... They probably just have more important things to worry about- jobs, relationships, starting businesses, health problems, etc. Sure, plenty of people here have those things, too.. but it depends on the level of focus theirs needs.

Heat Guard

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
That's not to say we shouldn't try to save it though, it's just to say that.. people who aren't as up in arms over this as some are just as valid and just as human as anyone else... They probably just have more important things to worry about- jobs, relationships, starting businesses, health problems, etc. Sure, plenty of people here have those things, too.. but it depends on the level of focus theirs needs.
I actually play this game BEACAUSE of some of those things.  I can understand what you are geting at, but there are those here that this is much more than 'just a game'.  I don't go out much due to personal and family health, and I've always been an introvert to begin with, so I see this more as a social media format that happens to let me fly and shoot fire from my hands. 

There is a difference in stating, like you did, that you personally don't have that much invested feelings about the efforts to save the game, but you will give support IN support of friends that does, and saying flatout that it's just stupid to care that much, the game is over, deal with it.  That is adding yellow liquid to what was an enjoyable breakfast meal.  Saying you don't feel the same but you respect others right to do so is good, applaudable even, not repeatedly stating there isn't any point in trying.

ohms

• Boss
    • OV website
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
It'll be hard to say for sure, until a new thread gets posted there about something SaveCoH-related, but it appears that there is now a tiny group of users who are derailing SaveCoH threads with aggressive debates about social/political/religious issues, that when the forums had moderators, would've been deleted in a heart-beat. If my fears are correct, and the forums are now running without moderation, we're going to see total anarchy there within a very short time.

And... wow, umm... the word pertaining to an evil forum user gets changed to unicorn? Is there a humorous back story to that?

Getting drawn into a religious or political discussion on game related forums is never a good idea, whatever your point of view. There are other places for that type of discussion. My advice is to just report the offending post, stick the user on ignore and move on.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

If they have more important things to worry about, that's their prerogative. I just don't see why 'little' things can't still be worked for as well as big things. Way too often do I see people using the, "there are more important things" argument as a reason to ridicule what others are trying to accomplish, which is exactly why the threads are being derailed by the discussion of such important issues.

I personally would love to be more of an activist than I am. I want to be able to fight for noble causes. But my location, combined with my financial situation, etc, makes that impossible. I'm a U.S. citizen married to a Canadian, which means that if we were to ever attend an IRL rally that turned ugly, one of us would risk deportation. Additionally, we're not close enough to NYC to make the regularly-scheduled trip there reasonable, but we're close enough that anything important going on all happens there instead of locally. So at least in my case, it's not that I don't care about other things, I'm just not in a position to do much about it. Were it possible, I'd be fighting for the big causes as well as CoH. And who the heck can say how many others are in that same boat? These trolls assume far too much about the individuals who are in this fight.

Vulpy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 08:37:03 PM »
Immune to attachment? No. Just less attached to physical things.
The biggest reason I'm involved with this fight is that I have friends for whom this game means a hell of a lot, and I don't personally see why it should be shut down.

For me personally, I have a very limited attachment to City of Heroes, that has dwindled over the last year as my life has taken a pretty notable change of direction.

Are you sure you're not me? Because that's twice in one day you've taken the words out of my mouth. I fight for the community I've built with my friends--that community will go on, and we'll continue to create on other canvases if we must. But this game means a great deal to them...and still, to me.

If they have more important things to worry about, that's their prerogative. I just don't see why 'little' things can't still be worked for as well as big things. Way too often do I see people using the, "there are more important things" argument as a reason to ridicule what others are trying to accomplish, which is exactly why the threads are being derailed by the discussion of such important issues.

I've had to back one of my RL friends down from this argument myself. My logic runs thusly: so long as our means are principled and our desired end isn't evil, what we do here isn't any better or worse a use of our time than working to sustain ourselves physically. It harms no one and we pay for our keep along the way. The analogy to lobbying local legislators to preserve a park is an apt one in this respect: sure, saving a park isn't the most important thing the community could be doing. But is it a bad thing? Besides, who does nothing but crusades for grand humanitarian causes at all times? No one I'd want to be in a room with for more than five minutes, that's for sure. Except for maybe the Dalai Lama. He seems pretty cool.

He conceded the argument when I presented him with those points. I haven't converted him to joining us yet, but he has a lot of things on his plate right now anyway.
@Vulpy
Protector Server

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »
I've had to back one of my RL friends down from this argument myself. My logic runs thusly: so long as our means are principled and our desired end isn't evil, what we do here isn't any better or worse a use of our time than working to sustain ourselves physically. It harms no one and we pay for our keep along the way. The analogy to lobbying local legislators to preserve a park is an apt one in this respect: sure, saving a park isn't the most important thing the community could be doing. But is it a bad thing? Besides, who does nothing but crusades for grand humanitarian causes at all times? No one I'd want to be in a room with for more than five minutes, that's for sure. Except for maybe the Dalai Lama. He seems pretty cool.

He conceded the argument when I presented him with those points. I haven't converted him to joining us yet, but he has a lot of things on his plate right now anyway.

A lot of the time people who use this sort of reasoning aren't doing a lot themselves.  In my experience, every time I've heard "shouldn't you be doing something else?" or the like it's a purely judgmental way of saying "I don't understand".  Next time y'all run into this, explain why it's important and try not to take it too personally.  Usually works.

The friend you describe, however, doesn't seem to be in that boat.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »

It's to curb some general overuse and reactionary thinking. For every real one, there were several others being jumped on by overzealous people, which is just as harmful as unicorns themselves. Ask Tony for the full details, it was his idea. :P

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
It's to curb some general overuse and reactionary thinking. For every real one, there were several others being jumped on by overzealous people, which is just as harmful as unicorns themselves. Ask Tony for the full details, it was his idea. :P

Well yeah I understood why it was done. It was more of a, "How did they arrive at unicorns" question. I got a good chuckle after I posted the thread and saw the altered title.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 10:29:25 PM »
I just simply call it (the game what's name shall not be mentioned) and leave it at that, myself.

And yeah, it's gotten extra unicorn-y in there.  It's a little bit sad, but I have managed to just... stay out.  Well, mostly, a couple of unicorns got a reply here and there, but... It was more of a cathartic thing to reply in the first place than actually tryin' to argue.  And... I've found myself just exiting the thread rather than get dragged in.  The left turns going on in some of them... yeesh.

Mike

kerensky914

• Underling
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 10:36:53 PM »
The analogy to lobbying local legislators to preserve a park is an apt one in this respect: sure, saving a park isn't the most important thing the community could be doing. But is it a bad thing?
This is a great analogy. 

Except for maybe the Dalai Lama. He seems pretty cool.
Let me remind you of the pilgrim who asked for an audience with the Dalai Lama.

He was told he must first spend five years in contemplation. After the five years, he was ushered into the Dalai Lama's presence, who said, 'Well, my son, what do you wish to know?' So the pilgrim said, 'I wish to know the meaning of life, father.'

And the Dalai Lama smiled and said, 'Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?'

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 10:38:29 PM »
For a little historical perspective on why it can be as "important" to fight for the things that enrich your life as well as "the big causes," I suggest reading this Wiki article on the poem and song, "Bread and Roses."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_Roses

Short form takeaway is that if you don't fight for the little things that make your life better, you won't have any life to give to the big things.

Edit: Fixed broken link --TV
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 03:51:44 AM by TonyV »
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2012, 01:19:54 AM »
...unicorn, eh? Can't wait to hear the backstory on this one.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

WanderingAries

• Elite Boss
  • @WanderingAries /\ Mostly on Torch
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2012, 03:13:56 AM »

Yes, yes....But how do you Know she's a Witch?
Find me on Homecoming:
https://www.homecomingservers.com

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 03:29:51 AM »

Yes, yes....But how do you Know she's a Witch?

Because she floats!
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 03:36:55 AM »
Because she floats!

...and what else floats?
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV