Author Topic: Would Non-Profit or Trust Status Allay NC Soft's Concerns?  (Read 1221 times)

Sailboat

• Boss
Would Non-Profit or Trust Status Allay NC Soft's Concerns?
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:42:38 PM »
I've read several posts lately espousing the idea that NC Soft is intent in "burying" the IP rights to COH rather than selling them, because the game might in the future compete with other NC Soft properties.

Sounds plausible -- not necessarily that it would bite them in the profits, but at least plausible that they would worry about it.

I wonder if it would be possible to put their minds to rest on that issue?

I'm no lawyer, but I've heard of things being "held in trust" by some legal formula or other, and we've all seen single-purpose nonprofits -- Save the Bay, Save Homeless Pets, Eradicate Disease X, Save the Whales, and so on.

Would it reassure NC Soft if a nonprofit entity of some sort could be formed to "Save COH," and that entity could "hold in trust" the IP rights, expressly under the condition that it not re-sell any of the intellectual property to corporations (i.e., especially competitors)?

The game could continue on private servers supported by player donations, presumably dying a natural death if/when player donations dried up.

Yes, in one sense it would result in competing still, in that time and donations spent on COH might theoretically have been spent on other NC Soft products, but it would be only "indirect" competition, not backed by any industry giants trying to seize market share from NC Soft.

And think of the publicity bonus of having owned (and released to caretakers) the first game to inspire a nonprofit historic preservation entity!  What a huge gesture by the company, and what a news-generating story!

PLUS if we all played our cards right, NC Soft could take some sort of tax deduction (at least in the US operations) for the "donation" of the IP, and perhaps players could deduct server fees, the same way I can deduct money I've sent to the "Save the Bay" folks (maybe I'm reaching, there....)

Anyway, my understanding is that, legally, a 501(3)c corporation would need to be established, with officers and documented procedures, but surely the ability to do that exists among the community; I know some overwhelmed dog and cat rescue people who maintain 501(3)c entities, so we ought to be able to handle it.

Just putting this out as an idea; I've never run one myself.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
Re: Would Non-Profit or Trust Status Allay NC Soft's Concerns?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
This has been discussed elsewhere, and while you bring some interesting new considerations to it (in particular "holding the IP in trust" rather than simply owning it), the problem with it is that if this is not a for-profit entity, it won't last. It will die slowly and quietly, with a whimper wholly unworthy of heroes or villains.

Worse, if it's merely "held in trust," NCSoft could revoke the license at any time, and we'd be right back here again, but with less recourse.

Sailboat

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:55:51 PM »
I don't understand what you're saying about "if this is not a for-profit entity, it won't last."  Nonprofit doesn't mean it doesn't make enough money to support itself.  And God knows, for-profit isn't preserving the game as we know it anyway.

My understanding of trusts is admittedly flimsy, but I thought that the property was signed over to a third-party watchdog like a bank or law firm, and could only be repossessed under clearly-spelled-out circumstances all parties had agreed to, which would seem to rule out arbitrary repossession.

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 06:53:14 PM »
I don't understand what you're saying about "if this is not a for-profit entity, it won't last."  Nonprofit doesn't mean it doesn't make enough money to support itself.  And God knows, for-profit isn't preserving the game as we know it anyway.

My understanding of trusts is admittedly flimsy, but I thought that the property was signed over to a third-party watchdog like a bank or law firm, and could only be repossessed under clearly-spelled-out circumstances all parties had agreed to, which would seem to rule out arbitrary repossession.

Okay, as usual, this is not intended as legal advice.  While Section 501 is not my area of specialty, I do specialize in dealing with the Internal Revenue Code of which it's a part, and I've dealt extensively with trusts (often sham trusts, unfortunately) in a litigation context.

There are two interesting issues raised by this thread.  First, there's the issue of having the IP owned by a nonprofit entity.  While there's been back and forth on this, in my view, many expressing interest in nonprofits are simply acting from a kneejerk hostility to the idea of "profit" and other buzzwords usually associated with corporate culture, which many around here are using to conceptualize an enemy.  (I'm not saying that's what's happening in this thread, mind you.)  But "nonprofit" and "for profit" are really issues of recordkeeping and business (entity) purpose.

In legal terms, a nonprofit is an entity organized under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code.  Provided it meets the requirements of that section and the regulations promulgated by the IRS, the entity doesn't have to pay tax on its income.  The statute requires that in order to be exempt from tax, the entity has to fall into one of several categories, listed in 501(c).  These include the well-known 501(c)(3), entities "for ... charitable ... purposes," as well as things like labor unions (501(c)(5)), "clubs organized for recreation ((c)(7)), and over twenty others.  It's very difficult for something like an organization to develop and run an MMO to fit into one of these categories.  Courts and the IRS construe them pretty narrowly.

The regulations require extensive recordkeeping, particularly for 501(c)(3)'s, and the penalty for violating them is revocation of tax-exempt status.  It's very easy to violate them in a variety of ways.  (See the "Legal Considerations" thread for some discussion of this by someone who's worked with exempt organizations.)

Put another way, the only reason to operate as a Section 501 organization is to gain that exemption from income tax.  That's it; that's all.  Notice that there's no requirement that only section 501 organizations can operate for "charitable purposes."  Nor does being a for-profit entity mean the entity is solely concerned with profit at the expense of everything else.

What I think Sailboat's really trying to get at is that having the IP owned by a corporation isn't necessarily the best option if the idea is to keep the game running indefinitely.  This really sounds more like an argument for setting up an MMO as a co-op or some kind of corporate structure (not yet seen in the MMO world, to my knowledge) where players and only players are the shareholders.  See "Legal Considerations" for more on this.  (I should add that another is to have no one own the game at all and simply have everything given away free, which some people over in City Sunset have suggested.  This may or may not be viable, but it isn't the same as "a nonprofit.")

This brings us to the second point.  What is a trust, and what does that mean for an MMO?  I think I'll write that up as a separate post; be back shortly with more on that.

Olantern

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »
So, trusts.

Trusts have been around a long time in the law.  The easiest way to think of a trust is to think back to the metaphor of property rights as a bundle of sticks.  In a trust, one person or entity gets the "benefits of the property" sticks, and another gets the "duties of ownership" sticks.  The one getting the benefits is the "beneficiary" of the trust, and the one with the duties is the "trustee."  The person who gives up the property to start up the trust is the "trustor" or "grantor" or the "settlor" (which always sounded like a Masters of the Universe character to me).  People (or entities) create trusts when they want someone to enjoy the benefits of something without enjoying all the rights (like something put in trust for a minor child) to it or all the burdens associated with it (like someone using a trust in estate planning to alter the tax effects of transactions).

Here's a simple example.  Jessica, owner of a stock portfolio that pays a lot of dividends, wants to provide for her minor child, Megan.  She wants Megan to get the dividends but doesn't want Megan to be able to sell the stock until Megan is adult and can make better financial decisions.  So she asks their friend Ray* to serve as trustee.  She signs the stock portfolio over with a "deed of trust," and the stock is held in the name of "Raymond Keyes, in trust for Megan Duncan."  Megan enjoys the benefits of ownership, such as the dividends, while Ray handles things like voting the proxies that stock owners get and the like.  As trustee, he's also responsible for maintaining the property for Megan.  In this case, that means that he can't sell it, and he also has the obligation to forward those dividends on Megan as he receives them.  In real cases, as Sailboat implied, the position of trustee is often (but not always) held by something like a bank or (rarely these days) a law firm.

Apropos of my previous posts, some trusts do qualify as nonprofit entities under Section 501 of the Internal Revenue Code.  However, the IRS keeps a very close eye on this.  (I know because I used to handle cases for the government where taxpayers abused trust structures.)  For instance, say Dean MacArthur, pursued by creditors who want his fabulous collection of ascots and other assets, decides to put his property beyond the reach of his creditors using a trust.  He conveys everything he owns to the Dean-O Trust Organization, Inc., as trustee for the benefit of Dean MacArthur.  Dean himself, of course, is the main officer of Dean-O.  In a case like that, creditors, including the IRS, can bring a lawsuit against Dean to get the property held by Dean-O applied to Dean's debts.  (This kind of situation is called "fraudulent conveyance" because Dean's transfer to the trust was a sham.)  The thing to take away from this is that in a legitimate trust, benefits and ownership (i.e., the trustee) have to be kept separate, or courts can disregard them, and the IRS will disregard them for tax purposes.  That last point means that even if Dean puts in the Dean-O trust documents that Dean-O is organized for charitable purposes and thus exempt from tax, the Service can still go after it as a taxable entity and deny its Section 501 status.

Now, we're finally ready to address Sailboat's thoughts.  If I'm reading the OP correctly, it suggests that NCSoft's primary concern is to avoid competition by CoH with its other games, leading it to avoid selling the IP to prevent a new competitor from arising.  (Personally, I don't believe that was the root problem with the sale to Formerly Paragon, but I'll assume it's correct here.)  Could a trust set-up of some kind solve this?

I don't think it could.  The same results could be achieved more simply with other legal mechanisms.  But I want to make sure I'm thinking through the proposed scenario correctly.  We have NCSoft as the trustor, a (nonprofit? for-profit? doesn't matter for this purpose) entity as the trustee, and, as the beneficiary ... I'm not real clear.  Players?  As I've pointed out elsewhere, "the players" as such don't have any legal existence.  The subscribers?  I've never heard of a trust entity that holds property "in trust for whoever pays X fee," but that doesn't make it illegitimate.  That idea sounds legally workable, at least in theory.

The problem comes with formation of the trust itself.  While the specifics aren't spelled out anywhere, I've got to assume the trust entity would be formed and administered by people with an interest in keeping CoH alive.  In other words, players, probably subscribers.  Again, we run into the Dean and Dean-O situation.  There's no separation between beneficiary and trustee, so the trust is likely to be declared not legitimate, at least for tax purposes.  Note that this isn't much of an issue if the trust organization isn't trying to operate as a Section 501 organization.

It's possible to preserve the spirit of Sailboat's suggestion through simpler devices.  As I've mentioned elsewhere, NCSoft, as the sole holder of IP rights in CoH, can sell or keep whatever rights it wants.  It could choose to sell limited rights in such a way as to prevent competition.  For instance, it could grant whoever's managing the servers (the trustee, some kind of player-created entity) a nonexclusive license to operate an MMO based on the property, nontransferable and revocable at will.  Here, basically, you have the trustee and the trust set-up, but without the beneficiary.  This can be done without the mechanism of trustee and beneficiary or the bookkeeping and other limits of Section 501.  Heck, any profits the licensee makes could be donated to charity, even if it isn't a Section 501 organization.

So, while I think there are some issues with the specifics and the legal issues here, I think the ideas proposed in the OP have some possibilities.

The problem, as always, is getting NCSoft to agree.

* I was going to use Synapse as the trustee, then thought better of it.

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »
Non-Profit status is not something automatically granted.

I cannot say much due to disclosure (*waves at the nice TIGTA people*) but there are links posted in the Legal Considerations thread.  These links are on the public irs.gov website and contain plenty of information.

To me, and IANAA, running an MMO as a non-profit would be extremely difficult to justify.