Author Topic: Round Two! We Know What To Do!  (Read 2996 times)

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
Round Two! We Know What To Do!
« on: October 03, 2012, 11:16:57 PM »
I'm thinking that we need to make as much, if not more, of a show -and as much noise- as we did immediately following August 31.

So, we get the press release yesterday, and it could seem like it meant something bad.
Really though, you look around and everything is pretty much situated right back where it was after the first announcement.
Yeah, NCSoft, you made an announcement of doom. We didn't buy it then and we're not buying it now.
More importantly, our activities and our pressure led them to do something that could prove to be rather important.
They publicly brought up the notion of selling the product, the IP and the studio.
Well, if there are interested parties with the financial capability of doing such business, they might be a little surprised to hear that such efforts are already exhausted, when they hadn't even begun for them yet!

But we look around... and everything is like it was on August 31. Some may feel as though it is worse.
Oh, the doom criers are doom crying.
The vultures are circling.
And all of the news media outlets that I've seen so far are taking what NCSoft said and running with it: "NCSoft Crushes CoH Player's Hopes", "City Of Heroes Can't Be Saved".

And this is the real point I wanted to get to.

Do we need to make an unmistakable show (again) to inform the news outlets that NCSoft's words are not to be taken too seriously?
Do we need to show our unity as we did directly after the first announcement? (Do we think we can get an impressive enough turn out right now?)
Do we need to start collecting, pointing to, composing and sending any and all information to discredit NCSoft's trust right now?

And... I ask, somewhat fearfully, might we encounter news outlets that are no longer interested in publishing negativity towards NCSoft? (I'm certainly not going to assume any such thing, until/unless it actually happens... it just struck me as a little odd that the latest announcement came and it was just, "Oh, okay. That's over with!").

Uh... after surprising the gifted, young and beloved Paragon Studios with a "You didn't see this coming, but... leave today and never come back" firing, the lovely company (that forged a goodbye letter from the leader of another MMO they shut down) informed us that these silent efforts have been exhausted after only a few weeks.
And their release was full of pompous ridiculousness (the likes of which Senator Palpatine would have been proud of... "I love democracy. I love The Republic."):
"...holds a special place in our hearts"... "end on a high note."
Wait, wha??
End on a high note?? E'chuta!!
 On a high note, you say? You betcha we will do our very best, NCSoft. You've already proven that you will do this on as lowly a note as possible.
A high note would have been retaining the staff to properly close things out.
Exhausting efforts would have involved trying to maximize profit by negotiating while everything was still intact and running. Not by burning everything down to the ground and waiting for the community to pick it all up, clean it off and politely inform you (and the rest of the world) that it deserves to live, only to be followed by lip service and a quick exit from any such proceedings.

I say that we contact each and every news outlet that we contacted before.
And we tell them this and more about this most recent message from NCSoft.
Let's pile it up.They want to try and show the world that they tried?
So, we made enough noise, so far, to warrant such a response.
Good. We won some battles. The war is far from over.
They let the word out that a sale was possible.
Now we need to pressure them into saying that a sale is still possible.
Now we need to pressure everyone to point out the serious, valid reasons to doubt NCSoft's words.
Now we need investors to stand up and declare their interest.

We need to show everyone, including some of our own, that we're not right where we started out... We're actually stronger now.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 11:24:02 PM by Electric-Knight »
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Flashtoo

• Minion
Re: Round Two! We Know What To Do!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:46 PM »
One thing that I noticed: Their announcement's wording phrased it as "We have exhausted the possibility of selling the IP." This wording stuck out to me like a sore thumb. I may be a diagnosed aspie, but I happen to have brushed up on my bullshit-ese in order to play a character who's fluent in it, and "We have exhausted the possibility of selling" doesn't even come close to meaning "We couldn't find a buyer" or even "None of the potential buyers were offering enough." All it means is "We have decided not to sell."

Minds can still be changed.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:49:28 PM »
I'm 100% in agreement.  And it won't hurt to remind the news outlets of the forged letter and the lies they told in court about Richard Garriott "voluntarily resigning" in order to cheat him of his stock options.  Just remind them and let them dig up the references to feel like real journalists.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
Yeah, but did he do so willingly? Wasn't that the whole point of the lawsuit? The lawsuit that he WON to the tune of 28 million, and later won again on appeal, raising the cost to NCSoft to 32 million?

If we're going to follow this line of investigation, I think it would be smart to see if we can find documentation from the court decision. Should be easy enough, right? That sort of thing is usually public record.

The hard part will be parsing all the legal jargon into something a lay person like a reporter (or us) can understand.

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 01:12:14 AM »
You guys need to check out the 'Korean Kibun' thread. It is extremely relevant: a game changer in fact. Any and all future actions should be taken with it in mind. It's essential, and I just wish we'd had the sense to dig the stuff up sooner.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5449.0.html

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 01:18:42 AM »
You guys need to check out the 'Korean Kibun' thread. It is extremely relevant: a game changer in fact. Any and all future actions should be taken with it in mind. It's essential, and I just wish we'd had the sense to dig the stuff up sooner.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5449.0.html

Be fair, this was NCSoft West, it was reasonable to assume they'd act as we are accustomed to Western corporations to act.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:26:02 AM »
Don't we also have reference to the culture of top-down control, even micromanagement, from Seoul, based on the Glassdoor website entry?

<gives hornet's nest a swift kick>

;D
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 01:35:05 AM »
Yes we do. And it was me who first got people to notice the Glass Door reviews.

Taken together with the Kibun thread - they paint a most interesting picture of NCWest as a division of very demoralized workers who are often frustrated at their inability to get anything done because the home office micromanages them in extremely bizarre (to a western mind) fashion.

In fact - let me re-post here something that I said over in the Kibun thread regarding NCWest specifically:

Perhaps that's something we can work on? Give NCWest our observations and then ask them nicely if maybe we could all get back to the negotiating table with this understanding that there was a mis-characterization or cultural misunderstanding?

It seems with kibun being so central to the culture, to miss that one angle is to have no hope of understanding the rest.

Who knows? Maybe we could raise the morale of NCWest a bit by helping them understand their bosses better?

And wouldn't THAT be a feather in our cap? :)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 02:02:38 AM »
Also...I can't resist anymore.

ELECTRIC BOOGALOO!
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 03:14:40 AM »
...Just remind them and let them dig up the references to feel like real journalists.
Just snipping this to mention that this is excellent advice. Something that is easy to forget, but yeah, you never want to come off as telling someone how to do their job (unless it is the president of NCSoft, of course, haha... just realized that as I typed it. Had to make light of it).
Seriously though, very good thinking to always keep in mind when dealing with others we're reaching out to. Thanks!

Yes we do. And it was me who first got people to notice the Glass Door reviews.

Taken together with the Kibun thread - they paint a most interesting picture of NCWest as a division of very demoralized workers who are often frustrated at their inability to get anything done because the home office micromanages them in extremely bizarre (to a western mind) fashion.

In fact - let me re-post here something that I said over in the Kibun thread regarding NCWest specifically:

Yes, yes, those Glass Door reviews are great sources to link to as well! Right on!

Also...I can't resist anymore.

ELECTRIC-BOOGALOO!
Fixed!!  ;D
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Mr. Wentworth

• Lieutenant
  • "I aim to misbehave..."
    • Real World Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 04:39:21 AM »

I say that we contact each and every news outlet that we contacted before.
And we tell them this and more about this most recent message from NCSoft.
Let's pile it up.They want to try and show the world that they tried?
So, we made enough noise, so far, to warrant such a response.
Good. We won some battles. The war is far from over.
They let the word out that a sale was possible.
Now we need to pressure them into saying that a sale is still possible.
Now we need to pressure everyone to point out the serious, valid reasons to doubt NCSoft's words.
Now we need investors to stand up and declare their interest.

We need to show everyone, including some of our own, that we're not right where we started out... We're actually stronger now.

Emphasis added to the line above. Now, this doesn't mean that they are willing to be reasonable in considering offers, but they have made their own implication that sale can happen. It hasn't. So, what I want to know is what the offers were and why they weren't good enough. Disclosure be damned! When you bring us to the gallows, we deserve to know what might save us and what went wrong.

Viridian Surge

• Underling
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:04 AM »
Someone in another thread mentioned the idea of raising money to place an ad in a prominent newspaper. What if we were able to place an ad in The Chosun Ilbo (Korea Daily News) one of the major newspapers in Seoul, Korea. (I know, probably not a realistic goal, but boy, that would get NCSoft's attention).

Mantic

• Boss
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:54 PM »

And all of the news media outlets that I've seen so far are taking what NCSoft said and running with it: "NCSoft Crushes CoH Player's Hopes", "City Of Heroes Can't Be Saved"...

/em cheer Right on!!!