Author Topic: Writing an open letter to NCsoft: fact-checkers needed  (Read 868 times)

Quinch

Writing an open letter to NCsoft: fact-checkers needed
« on: October 04, 2012, 05:10:11 AM »
I'm kind of writing it on the fly, but as impassioned as it may be, it's probably best if I don't screw up the facts.

First, of all the games NCsoft has shuttered, is CoH the only one that had been steadily making a return on investment?

Second, how were their shutdowns handled? Just as abruptly, or did people basically see it coming?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Writing an open letter to NCsoft: fact-checkers needed
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 05:17:41 AM »
AutoAssault was totally in the dumps, TabulaRasa was "profitable" (making more than it cost to run) but it hadn't yet paid its development costs + running costs back yet, DungeonRunners depends on who you ask and where you look - anywhere from "just barely floating" to "not profitable".

I have no idea how Exteel was doing.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Quinch

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 06:40:25 AM »
What was the whole IP split between Cryptic and NCsoft before Paragon Studios? Who owned what and basically, what did NCsoft buy, exactly?

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 07:45:57 AM »
According to Katrina O'Keefe (@Moggie) who knew several people working at Cryptic and what split off as the City of Heroes team, Cryptic sold City lock, stock and barrel, including the game engine, to NCSoft.  This, according to her, is why Cryptic never made the game engine open-source as they had originally intended to.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Quinch

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 10:06:45 AM »
Gotcha. Do you know how many developers left to work on CO during the split? Don't need an exact number, just a ballpark half, third, fifth, two thirds etc.?