Author Topic: New City of Heroes?  (Read 37410 times)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: New City of Heroes?
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2012, 11:28:23 PM »
There's always the possibility that the reason they haven't done anything further is because they've gotten a cease and desist from NCSOFT, or otherwise got caught with their hand in someone's till.

Sometimes it's simple best to leave such things alone and move on.

IF they raise their heads again, well, then... that's another matter.

The only reason that I doubt this to be the case is because the website is still up. With all of the trademarked material presented there, it seems like it would be part of any C&D. But, IANAL.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #141 on: December 27, 2012, 02:42:02 AM »
I Am Not A Lawyer or not, that would be a fact.  It's not even a tribute, but a blatant attempt to get money for a product they do not own.

That website is just a mess too.  I wouldn't play it if THEY paid ME.

/Well... unless maybe others said it rocked so hard... but I kinda doubt that.
//The acronym is just... wrong, people.  I can't look at it and not see something else. :p

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #142 on: December 27, 2012, 03:15:31 AM »
Quote from: Stupid Website
New city of heroes servers were redone.
Everything you read from our old server description disregard. We will have one server.
This server will be free to play to anyone who wants to join but for anyone who wants a little extra when you donate to us we will give you:re redone. Everything you read from our old server description disregard. We will have one server.
This server will be free to play to anyone who wants to join but for anyone who wants a little extra when you donate to us we will give you:
Double Experience
Extra chance of getting rare or extra rare enhancement recipes
Double Influence and prestige for you and your Super Group
Extra chance of getting better inspirations.

Website crap, description crap and those bonuses are sort of pay2win O.o.
This makes NO SENSE AT ALL!
CoH is 85% story, 14% leveling and 1% grind O.o. Well at least in my eyes.
But still....who needs double experience? It's useful to raise some toons, but not for a main.
Who needs double inf/prestige? If you have a Vet-Char there shouldn't be any problem O.o.
Who needs an extra chance of getting better inspis? The most common drop in the whole game XD.

Yeah...donate to them....like 20 bucks....sorry I ment bugs.
And no further development?
Lemme guess: a server rip and the people behind it might have actual no clue what they are doing there.

Don't get me wrong! I am actually the first one who screams YEAH! for such a project if some conditions are met:

The whole project is about learning - understand systems, code, extend code and so on.
The whole project is open source - everyone can profit from it (in a not financial way of course)!
The whole project is free - no donation crap. If you want to do something you can do it without asking the people for money!
I know that a server costs money, BUT overall they should do it for their own sake, and not ripping off the community.

In my whole life, even if worked on bigger projects likes l2j, coad, dawn of light, swgemu, AOCell and so on, I have never took any form of value more than a thank you. I did that just on the purpose of learning, so no need to ripping people off.

Yeah, I could really begin to puke when I see such crap :(.
Not because it is BS what they are doing, because someone who comes across might think the whole scene is this way.
Less community = less people to work with :/. And that's what it's all about in the end :(

In terms of legal:
It really depends on where you live. The IP belongs to it's owner, that's something wich is the same, not matter where you live.
But here in germany such development is a greyzone in law.

You are allowed to create such a server by yourself.
You are allowed to have a client wich can communicate with the server (CoH in this case).
You are NOT allowed to modify the third party client, cause IP, code and so on belong to their respective owner.

How can you run it then? Simple: You are allowed to modify your local system. In Windows it would mean your Host file, or just redirect the connection by a third party tool.
But you are NOT allowed to run such a server for the public, except for testing purposes. On your local system you are allowed to run nearly everything you want ;).

127.0.0.1 is you friend in this case :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 03:57:53 AM by Ceremonius »
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #143 on: December 27, 2012, 04:20:42 PM »
I still haven't ruled out the possibility that this was just a glorified forum troll.  There's still a part of me that believes that someone set this site and Facebook page under the misguided intention of suckering in a bunch of those poor saps who have such high false hopes in the Save CoH and/or Plan Z people to save or create a successor to City of Heroes.  After they'd strung everyone along for a while with promises of undying loyalty and dedication, they'd wrap things up with a post that boils down to, "HA HA!  I NEW UR SO DUM!!!"

But that what happened in actuality is that no one fell for it.  There were no oaths of undying loyalty; in fact, there was open hostility to what was at best an extraordinarily highly unlikely claim, causing the attempted troll to fall flat on its face.  It turns out that those poor saps with high false hopes aren't as gullible as the troll would believe them to be.  (Of course, such a troll would never make the leap from there to those poor saps actually being perfectly rational people who understand that there's a real possibility of the legacy of City of Heroes being preserved...)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #144 on: December 27, 2012, 05:30:18 PM »
Well, from the look of that FB page at least a few genuine people did believe it was real but didn't stick around. :p
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #145 on: December 27, 2012, 06:11:12 PM »
Well, from the look of that FB page at least a few genuine people did believe it was real but didn't stick around. :p

Well....
Quote from: Facebook
David Eschelbacher
Lives in Randolph, New Jersey
Born on 29. July 1993
Male

He has to be a very dedicated dev when he is the actual developer XD

Also:

He was collecting data for about 3 weeks.
Well dunno what he was gathering, but it wasn't the actual data he wanted. That's for sure.
First of all: packetsniffing takes ALOT of time. Nothing you do in just three weeks ;).

Enough said! Case closed!

As the mythbuster woulds say "HOAX DESTROYED!" (or whatleast they say in a non translated version ;))
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #146 on: December 27, 2012, 06:15:09 PM »
Really?  They say "Hoax Destroyed?" Is it dubbed or subtitled? (No bearing on anything; I'm just always curious how things play in other countries.)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
« Reply #147 on: December 27, 2012, 06:17:50 PM »
Really?  They say "Hoax Destroyed?" Is it dubbed or subtitled? (No bearing on anything; I'm just always curious how things play in other countries.)

Well, here in germany it is dubbed. When the dudes talk, say mostly translate it with "hoax destroyed" or "myth busted".
Also the sign says "Busted". So I guess "myth busted" would be correct :).
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers