Author Topic: New City of Heroes?  (Read 37439 times)

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
Re: New City of Heroes?
« Reply #80 on: November 29, 2012, 04:32:30 PM »
Amateurish to say the least. I've done better and I'm a programmer rather than a web designer.

You don't need anything more than a text editor (syntax highlighting optional) and a few easily available tutorials to knock together a simple website within about an hour assuming you don't go for anything fancy. A bit more time-consuming if you use CSS to get better visual appearance, but there are many websites out there providing tutorials or entire stylesheets to use.

We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2012, 08:26:28 AM »
There is also this, which appears to be a link repository.

ION, it's possible someone has contacted the server host for newcityofheroes.net to report possible illegal activity. Not saying who it was, but it's possible that it was me.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2012, 01:47:28 AM »
Everyone who wanted to know how we got there server files well heres what we did. The last 3 weeks that COH was online we slowly copied each map file from the game we now have all the server files for the game. The only thing we need too do now would be reprogram the launcher so everyone can play on the server (Dave the programmer)
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
Those would be the same map files in mapsCities1.pigg, mapsCities2.pigg, mapsHazards.pigg, mapsMisc.pigg, mapsMissions.pigg, mapsTrials.pigg, stage2.pigg and stage3.pigg, all of which are stored client-side?
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2012, 02:12:10 AM »
<facepalm>
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2012, 04:49:41 AM »
first time i saw this mentioned, it sounded like a complete fallacy, and now after reading more of the details it definitely sounds like a massive scam

wont touch it with a 100 ft pole

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »
first time i saw this mentioned, it sounded like a complete fallacy, and now after reading more of the details it definitely sounds like a massive scam

wont touch it with a 100 ft pole

It sounds to me like an idiot kid getting taken advantage of by a scammer. Especially with the mention of his parent's office and what not.  I feel kinda bad for him. He probably posted something publicly about being sad about the game going down, and someone took advantage. Wonder what his parent's computer is actually being used for now.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2012, 05:49:48 AM »
LOL
LOL
LOL
LOL
Those would be the same map files in mapsCities1.pigg, mapsCities2.pigg, mapsHazards.pigg, mapsMisc.pigg, mapsMissions.pigg, mapsTrials.pigg, stage2.pigg and stage3.pigg, all of which are stored client-side?
The mind, it boggles. That "explanation" he gives is so clueless that... that... i'm at a loss for words. Just wow.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2012, 06:05:13 AM »
And that it's from "his programmer..."

I don't want to say anything on the actual FB page, because it's all so fun to watch.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2012, 08:31:37 AM »
Exactly like watching a terrible trainwreck.  Someone really ought to make the effort to tell his parents.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2012, 08:32:51 AM »
Exactly like watching a terrible trainwreck.  Someone really ought to make the effort to tell his parents.

Aren't they too busy protecting the White House?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2012, 08:36:43 AM »
That's his uncle.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2012, 09:12:25 AM »
This thread is so full of lol. I feel wrong laughing, but laugh I do.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2012, 09:25:54 AM »
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2012, 11:10:54 AM »
Color me very skeptical about this whole thing, but I'll be interested to see what the guy puts out.  I have a hard time that it's just a straight-up scam, trying to get people to download a trojan without any kind of back-end setup to sell it as real.  But I also have a hard time that they are capable of making a working version of a server.  Not that I don't think it's not possible; I'm sure it is.  It's just that we've had some of our best folks working on just this thing for months, and they still have a ways to go before they get anywhere near what these folks are hyping.  So... like I said, I'm genuinely interested to see exactly what it is they're going to put out and try to sell as "New City of Heroes".

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »
I have a hard time that it's just a straight-up scam, trying to get people to download a trojan without any kind of back-end setup to sell it as real.
Tony, as part of a job I used to have, I had to deal with guys like this day-in and day-out.  If you look at the "topsites lists" (sites that 'rank' other sites of a given category, often offering cash prizes for those who are in the #1 position) for private servers of  any game, you will find them loaded, loaded with sites that promise a private server, and yet don't deliver.  Some of them don't even have a site - their goal is just to get "in" clicks that immediately 404 or redirect you straight to a "VOTE FOR ME ON X TOPLIST" page.

This smells like an unscrupulous attempt to cash-in on a grieving fanbase desperate for a new home.  Until they demonstrate that they have a server up that's verified possible to log in on and play by someone I trust, then I'm calling B.S. on their claims.

If it looks like scam, walks like a scam, and quacks like a scam, it sure ain't a duck.

Rotten Luck

• Elite Boss
  • "I'd rather go out a hero than a coward."
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2012, 12:38:13 PM »
I agree something smells rotten with New City of heroes.

One way or another... Heroes will fly again!

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2012, 01:23:43 PM »
I'm more than half tempted to set my old desktop back up when he finally gets it online. I'd do a clean install of Windows, first, but it still has the CoH folder on it.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2012, 12:18:14 AM »
The alleged programmer has no bloody idea what he's talking about.
Alice, the map files are to big to be put in the program! If they were in your Coh file it would be huge (id say about 20 gigs) the only thing kept on your computer is the connection files. You connect to NCsoft who has all the files and they send you them in small amounts.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2012, 06:23:33 AM »
Just saw that too, Fifth. That comment right there tells me that have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. 20 gigs, hah!

Elfin

• Lieutenant
  • Never Fear Elfin Is Here
    • Ken's Super Sci Fi Page
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2012, 10:09:01 AM »
I never saw this in the game on Justice server, but then again when I get to playing I don't always pay a lot of attention to chat. Something about chewing bubble gum, and walking at the same time.

Anyway I did not see this in the game, but I have had sveral discussions about this on facebook. Several of us have even reported it to facebook staff that it should not be on facebook.

One individual I know reported them to NCSoft, and told them on the facebook page that they had done so, and got called every name in the book by some individuals who seem to support the effort. These sad individuals are obviously either part of the scam, or are obviously not seeing the obvious signs that this is a scam, even though many of us have warned all over the sight that this is a scam please don't fall for it.

It seriously enrages me that these people would try to take advantage of this community that I love so much.

I think as a whole most of us are way to smart to fall for this. I hope that there are none out there who allow there grief for losing COH to allow them self to throw caution to the wind, and fall for such an obvious scam.