Author Topic: New City of Heroes?  (Read 37294 times)

blackjak

• Elite Boss
Re: New City of Heroes?
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
They were spamming CO's COX channel last night... :roll:
Virtue: Moonsun, Dynamo Jr., Crimson Fury, Sabre Kat, Double Sixxes, Quantum Stranger, Mystic Kirin, Pink.Eye Champion: Blackjak, Redwing Blackbird Justice: Shield Marshal Guardian: White Talon Triumph: Gosuto Union: Stellar Girl

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »
So, do we wait until NCSoft finds this on their own, or do we ring dinner bell for the juggernaut?
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
They've already been reported to NCsoft at least half a dozen times.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
So, do we wait until NCSoft finds this on their own, or do we ring dinner bell for the juggernaut?

I seriously wouldn't bother unless and until they actually start taking people's money, at which time it becomes fraud.  Until then, as far as I can tell, this isn't some scheme to try to scam people out of money, but most likely someone trolling the CoH community.  At this point, I really do think that this is likely one of the old official forum trolls who is trying to prove some misguided point--and failing miserably.  If they do start taking people's money, though, I'll be all over this.

Oh, and I highly advise people not to "Like" their page.  I know that some people are doing so not because they actually like the page, but because they want to keep tabs on what's going on over there.  The problem is that when you "Like" their page, I think it gives them access to some of your personal information, which is a huge no-no.  Just manually type it in the search field at the top, it's not that hard to find.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
My impression is that we don't have to tell NCSoftcore anything to cause trouble for this guy. There are plenty of other avenues available, if we do a little research.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Altoholic Monkey

• Lieutenant
    • Repeat Offenders Network - Making the stupidly difficult easy since 2005
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
Oh, and I highly advise people not to "Like" their page.  I know that some people are doing so not because they actually like the page, but because they want to keep tabs on what's going on over there.  The problem is that when you "Like" their page, I think it gives them access to some of your personal information, which is a huge no-no.  Just manually type it in the search field at the top, it's not that hard to find.

I run a few Facebook Pages and you don't get any personal information by Liking a page than you would just seeing someone's comments with a link in their name.  You get a list of who recently LIKED the page and you get some general overall page stats. Nothing particularly personal unless the person has left their profile open to view everything. But there's no specific information given on individuals who press the LIKE button on pages. You just become a stat with general information not specifically linked to individuals, things like Gender, Age, Country, City State.  Things you supply already in your profile.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 06:49:06 PM by Altoholic Monkey »

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2012, 06:42:06 PM »
I keep my FB locked down as much as possible while still being able to be social. It annoys the pancake out of my wife, because even she can't share things that I post without me going back and loosening the restrictions on a case-by-case basis. I also never use Facebook to log into third party sites, because I have no idea how that will be used by the other site.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2012, 02:57:11 PM »
Anyone else notice that they have the best time to reach them as 3-9pm? After school and before bedtime.  ;D

Madadh

• Minion
« Reply #128 on: December 25, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »
In the process of rebuilding the world, could you lean on the graphics artists to cut back on the Brutalism of the buildings? Seriously, someone made a killing with the concrete contract for building Paragon City, and it gave the city far too monotonous of an appearance. The kind of 'grew up over time' variation in styles that the devs did with Imperial City works much better.

I always found it oddly homey, but, I grew up amid that style, and have been gone from it for a long time now, so...  Ya know, nostalgia and 'good old days' mentality are quite likely very much at play in my case.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #129 on: December 25, 2012, 12:49:24 PM »
I seriously wouldn't bother unless and until they actually start taking people's money, at which time it becomes fraud.  Until then, as far as I can tell, this isn't some scheme to try to scam people out of money, but most likely someone unicorning the CoH community.  At this point, I really do think that this is likely one of the old official forum unicorns who is trying to prove some misguided point--and failing miserably.  If they do start taking people's money, though, I'll be all over this.
On the other hand, simply existing is use of their IP, and is competition that's making customers busy elsewhere instead of playing their games.

But... I also say don't report them. Is NCSoft is blind enough to not see them, then it'll constitute a proof of not willing to defend their IP, then everything becomes doable for us. Or is it trademarks ?
Yeeessss....

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #130 on: December 25, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »
Given that they haven't posted any updates on their Facebook page since December 5th, and haven't updated their website either, I'd say it's a problem that's pretty much solved itself already.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #131 on: December 25, 2012, 01:45:20 PM »
But... I also say don't report them. Is NCSoft is blind enough to not see them, then it'll constitute a proof of not willing to defend their IP, then everything becomes doable for us. Or is it trademarks ?
Trademarks.
Given that they haven't posted any updates on their Facebook page since December 5th, and haven't updated their website either, I'd say it's a problem that's pretty much solved itself already.
Maybe, maybe not. They did move the website to another host sometime after their last posts on FB.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #132 on: December 25, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »
I seriously wouldn't bother unless and until they actually start taking people's money, at which time it becomes fraud.  Until then, as far as I can tell, this isn't some scheme to try to scam people out of money, but most likely someone unicorning the CoH community.  At this point, I really do think that this is likely one of the old official forum unicorns who is trying to prove some misguided point--and failing miserably.  If they do start taking people's money, though, I'll be all over this.

I would suggest alerting NCSoft anyway. It could be good PR for us to go ahead an alert NCSoft. Such as showing we want to work with them to get the IP released and put back into circulation legally etc.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #133 on: December 25, 2012, 05:11:34 PM »
It would not be good PR on the account of it not actually changing our position in their eyes. From an IP owner's point of view they're entitled to receive such information, period.

Lily Barclay

• Elite Boss
« Reply #134 on: December 25, 2012, 05:19:25 PM »
I would suggest alerting NCSoft anyway. It could be good PR for us to go ahead an alert NCSoft. Such as showing we want to work with them to get the IP released and put back into circulation legally etc.

Someone already tried to alert NCSoft. Whether they paid attention is another matter. I think this was just some kids that thought demo records were real gameplay, then eventually figured out it wasn't what they thought and abandoned the idea. That or they were just trolling. Regardless, they disappeared about a week after shutdown. No further comments from them on the Facebook page.

Profit

• Boss
« Reply #135 on: December 25, 2012, 05:30:33 PM »
To be clear, I wasn't suggesting alerting NCSoft for the sake of them knowing. I could care less what they know or don't know. However, the media should know that "Hey, they had their game taken away, they are still trying to protect by alerting the vile people who took it away, and they aren't going away because they are a good strong community."

Blitzwing

• Lieutenant
  • Boot to the Head!
« Reply #136 on: December 25, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »
On the other hand, simply existing is use of their IP, and is competition that's making customers busy elsewhere instead of playing their games.

Mister Bison brings up an interesting scenario....

It's stretching things a bit, but...what if NCoH is all part of some clever(if not poorly executed) plot to bait NCSoft into such a situation...if they take no action, they show they're un-willing/unable to defend the IP...at which point, things hit the fan for them....

*ponders*

Timelord Tom

• RIP Timlord
  • Lieutenant
    • Paragon Radio Gallifrey
« Reply #137 on: December 26, 2012, 12:44:35 AM »
There's always the possibility that the reason they haven't done anything further is because they've gotten a cease and desist from NCSOFT, or otherwise got caught with their hand in someone's till.

Sometimes it's simple best to leave such things alone and move on.

IF they raise their heads again, well, then... that's another matter.

Valjean

• Lieutenant
« Reply #138 on: December 26, 2012, 12:50:47 AM »
I think it's more likely that NCsoft either doesn't know, or doesn't care.

They're pretty stretched thin nowadays. Actively going after IP violators for a game they just killed is probably pretty low on their priorities.

Now, if folks who get scammed by these guys then started complaining to NCsoft, then they would probably start to care.

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #139 on: December 26, 2012, 01:14:23 AM »
I don't think there was a cease and desist. Simply, both their website and Facebook page are infringing on NCsoft's trademarks starting with the page and domain names and extending to use of copyrighted logo designs and other associated imagery.
Any cease and desist would have to include termination or turning over the domain and the FB page - since the latter would be requiring more effort from NCsoft, termination is a given.