Author Topic: How are you handling the loss?  (Read 187323 times)

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: How are you handling the loss?
« Reply #200 on: December 20, 2012, 01:16:35 PM »
Omega was going to be no holds barred, crazy stuff. Things people begged for since release that we never did because we couldn't figure out how to make them "Heroic" without being "Broken". We had a big list, but the only two I concretely remember being worked out were things like Giant Growth for outdoor GM fighting stuff, and the other one was Multiplication, where the final rank would be making like, four NPC copies of your character at full power.
I would've killed for Giant Growth as an Omega-slot.  Just for the sheer novelty of being able to look Jack-in-Irons in the eyes and then punch his lights out.  Or maybe trade fisticuffs with Babbage or Jurassik.

If they handled Giant Growth in CoH like Cryptic did with the piloting the Mega-Destroid in Champions Online (where you're armed with stomps, ground-punches, and giant-sized versions of normal player powers), I would be overjoyed.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #201 on: December 21, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »
I'm still doing badly. I have difficulty watching any CoH videos without crying, and last night I had a dream where I saw on Twitter that Posi announced that CoH would return on 1/13/13. When I woke up, I actually thought it was something that was true, so I turned on my computer. By the time my computer booted I remembered it was just a dream.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #202 on: December 21, 2012, 06:39:34 AM »
Hate to say it, but I'm trying to throw some CoH-style creativity into CO. First on the list: The Spanish Imposition. His background? "Nobody expects the Spanish Imposition!" The hook? It's in Spanish!  :)

Also, my Quick Start bar still has the NCSoft Launcher.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 07:23:41 AM by dwturducken »
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #203 on: December 21, 2012, 07:12:35 AM »
I'm still doing badly. I have difficulty watching any CoH videos without crying, and last night I had a dream where I saw on Twitter that Posi announced that CoH would return on 1/13/13. When I woke up, I actually thought it was something that was true, so I turned on my computer. By the time my computer booted I remembered it was just a dream.

This would indeed be quite awesome.  Keep hope alive.  :)

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #204 on: December 21, 2012, 06:30:11 PM »
I'm still doing badly. I have difficulty watching any CoH videos without crying, ...

I know what you mean; I lost it again today watching the videos in the article on the Verge (article here if you haven't seen it yet).

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #205 on: December 21, 2012, 06:42:59 PM »
Not as well as I thought...

Since the shutdown, I have good days and bad.  On the bad days nothing seems to help, so I figured I'd try something different, writing about CoX and why I miss it so. 

For starters, I never pegged myself as a guy who could possibly get so attached to a 'game'.  Well, until now I never really realized just how much of it was the 'game' and just how much of it was the family and community.  Funny how it takes losing something for you to realize just how important it is to you. So, fwiw, here is a brief history of how I came to be a resident of CoX and ultimately how I am where I am today.

In 2007 I was in the middle of a nasty divorce, one that left me in a single bedroom apartment with a phone and internet connection for company.  On weekends, my kids would come over and we'd spend time together, weekends were fun, and we played a lot.  When they went to bed, I'd log onto work and write code until I got tired... basically just loosing myself in that work till the wee hours of the morning.  One night, while not really feeling like working I got to browsing around on the internet and ultimately ended up at EvE Onlines' website.  In the interest of brevity, I downloaded and started playing it as it gave me something to do other than work constantly.

Fast forward a couple of years, and I started to get tired of ganking/being ganked so I found myself back to either watching Netflix or working vs. signing onto EvE. I missed the social aspect of it the most, chatting with people my age, the teamwork, etc.  So, one night after work in January of 2009, I stopped by Gamestop to see what I could see, and browsing the bargain bin I found, City of Heroes: Good vs. Evil edition for 9 bucks, so I snatched it up and over my meal of ramen, installed, patched and created my account.

I decided that I'd try a Dominator to start with. I had never been a frequenter of forums or even bothered to research the different classes outside of what you could read of their descriptions in-game back then.  She ended up being a Fire/Fire domi (talk about a hard road to start on) that took to the streets of Mercy Island in Guardian with a vengeance. I played solo at first, not knowing that the Hero side of things was more populous and then eventually made my second toon.  This one was a Rad/Rad defender, who was pretty fun to play despite the fact I hadn't learned to really leverage my powers and their side effects yet.  I was enjoying CoX solo, but it was hard going given my selections of starting toons.  I vividly remember my first teaming; it was for a mayhem mission.  There were 5 of us and I had just gotten the 'hover' power, not knowing any better I hung back and blasted from the sky as we mowed through the cops.

I played CoX on and off for a year as I got settled into my new life having just gotten remarried.  Once things settled into a good routine, my wife sat down and started to play with me, as did my older kids.  That was shortly after I had transferred from Guardian to Virtue, which turned out to be the clincher for me, as time rolled on I took over a very active SG and met some awesome people and friends. About mid 2012 I heard about GW2 and pre-ordered it because it looked awesome and tbh, I was getting a bit burned out on being in charge.

"Besides, CoH will be there for me to hop onto when I'm bored with killing dragons"

Yeah...

That was the thought anyway, because it always had been for the past few years.

After NCSoft announced the shutdown, I admit, I felt pretty guilty. Now, I know that the actions they took were not my fault directly but, I couldn't help feeling that way.  I was going to (and had for the beta) take a break from my home to try something new and now my home was going to be yanked away.  It was hard to log on anywhere.  So, now my home is gone, and while Tyria is pretty... I just can't get into it as I did CoH... EvE, nah, I'd rather help people now than shoot their faces off... And ya, I beta'd both TSW and CO and even Conan... again, none of them are home... and since the shutdown I've gone to each.

For now, I've settled on CO... I've settled for not re-making any of my CoH toons, not because I don't miss them, I do.  I miss my KM/Fire Scrapper; I miss her mother the Fire/Kin Troller that could make most scrappers jealous of the damage she put out.  I miss my Mind/Psy/Mind Dominator that could walk into anything and come out unscathed.  I miss them because they were more than that, they were Leah and Tina Redmond, they were Jennifer Hu, Daughter Dawn and Mindwing. They weren't perfect, but I really put all of my creative juices to work and made tons of pages of back story for them.  I want to remember them for the fun I had with them, and leave them rest until I can walk with them again in the streets they (and I) call home. I won't remake them simply because if I never get to play with them again (I pray I really do that CoH will come back) I want to remember them the way they were.

Thanks for reading, hopefully I didn't bore anyone to death.  I just needed to vent it somewhere, to put it out there amongst my peers and not feel 'judged' for being so attached.

Thanks.
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

Bentley Berkeley

• Underling
« Reply #206 on: December 21, 2012, 07:26:33 PM »
When the news first came to us, I felt as if a low blow had been dealt to me without warning. The wind knocked right out of me. My heart ached as if an old friend told me they had just been given the news of terminal cancer with an end date attached. It felt like Capt. Mal of Serenity in the beginning of the pilot episode when he was told the war was over and they had lost, despite the costs he and his men had paid.

For nearly the entire life of CoH I had flown over the streets of Paragon as Bentley Berkeley of Virtue. I had other characters equally important to me as aspects of my self that I embraced to help others in the game find ever greater immersion. Demetrios Vasilikos of Crey Global Enterprises was another. Both lead countless task forces over the years, both full pugs, and those filled with allies and friends I had made and put on my contact lists to call upon and let them know what was up and see if they wanted to join.

During the final months, even on the last day, when I logged on I received tells from people Id not run into in game in years who thanked me for all the great times both RPing and battling through hoards of villains to reach a TFs end quickly and cleanly with no fuss or muss. This kind of thing really touched my heart and is something I have never encountered in other MMO during breaks from CoH over the years.

No matter what little new tricks another MMO might of had, I always found myself coming back to Paragon for social atmosphere, the company of like minded souls, and the chance to feel like more then just a cog in the wheel of a guild run raid.

When I told these frequent allies that I only lead groups or even really teamed much on CoH and all other MMO are largely solo play affairs for me they often seemed truly surprised that someone who seemed to thrive on leading TFs would not do something similar in other games.

Truth was that in other games I just never felt the same quiet confidence I did with my blaster or scrapper. These characters for me had clicked so well even when I knew I was in over my head occasionally I never had a doubt I would find a way to win. I had the true Kirk mentality of the no such thing as a no win scenerio within me. On other MMO something about them, even on my best characters, makes me want to deal with the hassle of leading and sheparding others through content that is usually very static and quickly stale.

I could lead several Hess TFs a day and never grow tired of that story line and end battle, but stick me a group of twelve off to go fight a dragon and soon I start to wonder why I am even trying to kill an ancient beast who is probably more use to the world even being evil, then my so called heroic adventurer.

For a while I thought I was alone in how COH ending impacted me, but coming here I see I am far from alone, that the virtual world for us at least did end this year, that in a way if only on some technical sense, the prophecy and doom sayers where right. Champions online is no option, nor the legion of sword and sorcery MMO. Guild Wars 2 a game I once had looked forward to adding to my collection of MMO to play off and on now becomes the symbol for all I find I now loathe in the industry.

The last day, I was there running Demetrios Vasilikos and lead a hess tf and had the honor of giving a final first time treat to several fellow players, they really seemed to love that end battle in the volcano lair as much as I did every time I ran it. I encouraged them and we all left the way we came rather then the short cut exit just to feel like we had to really escape the bomb. Moments like that I will never again experience and that is a true loss to me.

I dont know what I can do, but a part of me feels its time to travel, to as a young bruce wayne once did go abroad and feel the highs and lows of life first hand. Maybe find chances to help others and be more then a sad miserable sob who has lost something that cant be replaced. My heart is heavy and my mind flooded with too much to really process. The one thing I feel for certain an era in MMO has passed, and so to has something special for a great many people like myself.

Graphite

• Lieutenant
« Reply #207 on: December 21, 2012, 08:13:25 PM »
Two weeks "late" and haven't even started my paper.  I blame Christmas.  Soon I have to be off to a Yule Party and need to pretend, and hopefully remember, how to smile.

:-\

masterkam

• Underling
« Reply #208 on: December 21, 2012, 08:29:26 PM »
I got kinda lucky in a way. JUST before the announcement, the game wasn't working with my new video card. Kept getting random crashes ~15 minutes into the game. I was working with NCSoft on how to resolve it over a couple weeks. Once the bad news came, I figured it wasn't worth buying yet another card for a game that was about to shut down. I was holding out for good news :|

I felt like my only other options were Champions and DCUO. From what I had seen, CoH and CO players seem to HIGHLY dislike each other, but both sides seemed to agree DCUO was definitely the worst of the 3. So I skipped that mess and went to CO. It's definitely not the same as CoH and that fact bugs me a lot. Not nearly as much content either. But I'm easy to please. As long as there's a bad ass character creator I'm set. Roaming the game and seeing all the insanely unique toons reminds me of CoH and that helps ease it all a bit for me. The community is pushing the devs for tools so that we can make the game a bit better.

I don't have a lot of faith in Plan Z, as much as I want it to work. Especially since there's already a split! It's an insane amount of work to just get 1 off the ground. So that kinda makes it hard to look forward to a successor. I have a feeling that there'll be a next-gen superhero mmo again in the future. But we'll never have another CoH. Just has to be one of those things we remember fondly :(

Risha

• Boss
  • Dancing at the end of the World
« Reply #209 on: December 21, 2012, 09:40:43 PM »
Not coping well.  Haunting these forums.  Posting screenshots on pinterest...wondering if I have more shots SOMEWHERE before desktop and laptop died in 2010.
Writer of Fantasy and Fantasy Romance

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #210 on: December 22, 2012, 12:14:46 AM »
You know, I can't say that I'm handling it all that badly, but I tend to be a bit of a slow burner and I am noticing that my annoyance with little details in other games that CoH got right (at least eventually if not initially) that these other games didn't is gradually increasing day by day.  I've actually had to close a game and just walk away to cool off for a while out of frustration in the last week.  I haven't had to do that in years.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #211 on: December 22, 2012, 02:39:28 AM »
Not coping well.  Haunting these forums.  Posting screenshots on pinterest...wondering if I have more shots SOMEWHERE before desktop and laptop died in 2010.

Check over on the Titan Community side, Risha.  We have a working costume creator and the ability to place those toons in the setting of your choice for screenies.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

DashaBlade

• Underling
« Reply #212 on: December 22, 2012, 01:06:59 PM »
So, my internet connection went down at the beginning of last month, and every day I woke up thinking, "This is another day I can't play CoH." I really, really wanted to play every day until the end. Long story short, we finally got a new modem from my ISP last weekend, a little too late to be doing anything.

What was I doing during that time, and since? Well, I dusted off my old Heroes Unlimited books, and my son and I recreated a whole bunch of our CoH toons as Palladium-style superheroes. Let me tell ya, coming up with stats for Skulls in a tabletop RPG isn't as easy as it seems, and we had to deviate from the CoH stuff quite a bit. We did, however, kill skuls.

And last week, I also dusted off my Shadowrun books, so that my son could play a decker who works for *cough* an evil corporation and who grabbed a bunch of their data to sell to his fixer. He's currently got a list of people on a data chip, none of whom seem to have any connection to one another, and he's trying to figure out what connects them. (Hint: It has something to do with the data he grabbed earlier this week, but he hasn't gotten to making that connection yet)

For all the heartache, I have to say that CoH closing has inspired some really, really devious GMing ideas.

Celtic Lass

• Minion
« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
I know no one has posted here in over a week or so... but I just wanted to say that I really miss my heroes.  I mean, yeah, I can visit them in the DEMOlition program... but I really miss actually PLAYING them.  Super jumping or flying through Paragon, beating on the Freakshow, Carni or Malta.  Being able to explore the world of City of Heroes.  I really miss my Scrapper Mischki and my Beast Master - Mastermind Tessa Tempo <sigh>.  Sorry to whine.  Its just not getting any easier.
"Yes, and then I'm going to marry Bob Dole and raise penguins in Guam."

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2013, 07:34:14 AM »
It's not whining. This is what the thread is for. And I'm right there with you.

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2013, 07:44:19 AM »
I was very intrigued by CoH when they showcased it at the San Diego comic con before launch. It appeared to have a lot of room for creation and the ability to personilize. Over the years the game winded up shattering my hopes and expectations.

I played for 6 years until my account was stolen by someone I entrusted thee information of the master account.

Discouraged by the betrayel and financial hardship I walked away from  the game

I recently found out about the shut down and it felt like a relative died

Now I want to take that Ferrari for one more spin

That 50 bs/sr scrapper with the low cowl and oversized Rikti blade

To descend on a crowd with an energy torrent and then brutulize a line of 3 with a headsplitter

The Ferrari with all the badges painstakingly earned
Really sad also I missed last couple of issues

If it returns via Disney or whom ever I will play again and no account sharing next time!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2013, 11:13:21 AM »
I miss the creativity. I would often re-roll characters at a whim if I came up with a better idea or back story.

I would make characters whose name alone told a story.

Carillion - Sonic/Ice blaster who I used to Tank TFs :)
Deathmouse - Water/Dark Miasma corruptor
Spike the Guppy - just for fun
Moo Jooz - my Milk/Kin def

I could switch from serious to absurd in a few seconds as the team needed and as I needed. I believe the game can be saved but it needs to happen fairly soon in my opinion like 6 months or so. Valve may be another team to approach or even the folks at Good Old Games.

HEATSTROKE

• Lovin' bein' an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2013, 01:09:56 PM »
im just angry..

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2013, 01:58:32 PM »
You know with the Demolition setup and the character creation program - how far of a step would it be to build a simple one vs one single player game?

It seems many of the things needed are there to build a simple arena.

wooh

• Underling
« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2013, 02:44:14 PM »
After losing 2 beloved games before CoH I have built an immunity to the ache.

So I thought, I was wrong.   I don't miss places and maps like my previous games, more the toons that I allowed fragments of my personality to shine through.
   My son and I both took for granted that CoH would always be there, we missed only a month or two in subscriptions over the entire games life because of how certain we were that it would be there for a long time to come.

My son misses maps, locations, to his subconscious they are actual places to visit and though he yearns to stand in AP or the Rogue Isles, his conscious mind knows it can't happen. 
 His subconscious however is harder to convince.

I personally miss my mad healer, the way I had her speced until my PvP son got his hands on her, also her wonderful outfits and how great of a healer she was.   
Playing TSW now and although I love the quests and challenges, I miss jumping around like crazy, shooting last minute save em all heals between two split groups and succeeding.

I loved how easy it was for her to help people stay solid, something I apply in real life though success rates vary greatly.