Author Topic: "Watching the world end" article: New York Post  (Read 18219 times)

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
Re: "Watching the world end" article: New York Post
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 07:47:40 AM »
I don't know if you were there for the SG/Guild meeting the other day but JR actually broke his speech to say, "Whatever the hell you call him," because he got tired of going over my alt names.  I busted up laughing IRL, really cracked me up.  It's especially funny because I have so many different people calling me different things.

In DAoC people first knew me as "Cel", short for "Celatid".  Eventually I leveled a new character with the name "Kizmeti", and people started calling me Kiz.  Then I went to CoH, and I was known by Psychoti by the forum folks and Psy for short for the SGs I was a member of at the time.  To shorten this a bit:  Pirates of the Burning Sea: Adelante, WoW: Celatid,  Planetside: Psy, and then eventually I came back to CoH again with friends that called me "Adelante" or "Ade" for short.  I still play games daily with some of these friends that still call me Adelante.  Then when I joined Justice Corps on Virtue I played the character Ebonstryke most often, so people started calling me "Ebon" for short.   And now in GW2 I have people calling me "B-Cup" for Buttercupocalypse, "Ebon" for Ebonstryke if they remember that character, "Psy" if they remember, or "Adelante".

If you read all of that, I'm afraid you've wasted a portion of your life.

I'll always call you Ebon.  I never could remember Psy because it seemed silly, and now people'll think you're a Korean pop star.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 08:02:38 AM »
Oppan gangnam style!

(Sorry. I'll always have a sweetspot for this. I managed to find the video when it had less than a million views. I loved it then, and I'd be betraying myself if I said I didn't love it now.)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 08:48:00 AM »
Very nice article.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Epelesker

• Boss
  • One fix at a time!
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
Oppan gangnam style!

(Sorry. I'll always have a sweetspot for this. I managed to find the video when it had less than a million views. I loved it then, and I'd be betraying myself if I said I didn't love it now.)
And I still find it strangely ironic that the thing that I like the most right now (this) and the thing I dislike (NCsoft) are both of Korean origin.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2012, 03:41:08 PM »
And, the NCSoft headquarters is actually in the city of Gangnam, SK. Let that one roll around in your head for a while. ;)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2012, 08:37:08 PM »
I thought Gangnam was a district, a tiny one, not a city.

xurbax

• Underling
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2012, 02:34:22 AM »
Hunh. On Virtue the last message I saw before my final Mapserver'd (I got punted just before official shutdown time, but it let me back on for a few minutes afterwards for some reason) was someone quoting
"Do not go gentle into that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2012, 02:49:11 AM »
Yeah Virtue died before the end. I went out on Freedom.

Menrva Channel

• Boss
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2012, 02:51:46 AM »
AMAZING article! (Let us know when you finally get married! I always wanted a guy who'd play the game with me...)

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2012, 03:03:39 AM »
AMAZING article! (Let us know when you finally get married! I always wanted a guy who'd play the game with me...)

Sorry, ladies.  I'm spoken for.

<adjusts bowtie>
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

zoser

• Lieutenant
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2012, 04:22:36 AM »
Wonderful, simply wonderful. Thanks for sharing. *still wiping away tears in vain*

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »
Hunh. On Virtue the last message I saw before my final Mapserver'd (I got punted just before official shutdown time, but it let me back on for a few minutes afterwards for some reason) was someone quoting
"Do not go gentle into that good night, rage, rage against the dying of the light."

It was someone named Wakinyan who said that. I have a screenshot of that exact moment that we were forcibly disconnected, with chat text showing; I woud post it here but Picturetrail will not allow it to be shown large enough for text to be read.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »
Trouble is, or from what I heard from the NC defenders over at the now-dead forums, was that for anyone in a public company to do less than aim for WoW-level subs, is to risk being accused of not looking out for the best interests of investors (who probably don't know jack about what goes on in the gaming world besides "games make money"). So, you either have to commit suicide while chasing after that mirage in the desert, or you get put through a court martial before a tribunal of shareholders.

First, I dont miss those people. At all. They did much to sour the last moments of the game by incessant negativity. There were about four of them, and I hope karma follows them where ever they might end up.

Second, I hardly viewed any of them as real-world business titans who could be taken seriously. The thing about business is, it often consists of nonsensical moves by corporations such as lopping off profitable arms because a second arm is costing them money. This makes no sense to anyone sane, but corporations do things like that all the time! And they do even worse, perhaps because in the US profit is privatized, but losses are picked up by taxpayers. There is little incentive to behave in a logical, profitable fashion businesswise, because the "little people," the "99%" or the "muppets" will pick up the tab.

None of those people on the forums had a clue what they were talking about. I'm just glad they are gone.

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
The main problem with corporate decision-making:

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2012, 11:22:38 PM »
So very, very true.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/