Author Topic: Still out there  (Read 17078 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Still out there
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:39:46 AM »
So, I just logged into my account info at NCSoft's page.

It still has all my billing stuff.  :o

Next payment scheduled is in June 2013.  <_<

So now what?  Remove Card from their system?

Sarge Morris

• Minion
Re: Still out there
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:40:54 AM »
Whoof.  Yeah, that's scary stuff.  I'll be taking mine out pronto.  Thanks for the reminder.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 04:42:21 AM »
They won't be billing you. I never removed my card, I haven't been billed since August.

Also, note how your account says "Playable"? Yeah.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 05:42:21 AM »
Would this be any indication that our userdata is in intact?  I don't know much about that sort of thing.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 05:52:09 AM »
Would this be any indication that our userdata is in intact?  I don't know much about that sort of thing.

Yes, but only to a small extent. We don't know how the data in question is structured on their side, so this only indicates they are still in posession of our billing data.

The good news is that removal of any business data by companies that cease to support their products, but don't go out of business themselves is extremely rare (although not unheard of). The most probable scenario is that most of the data related to the game is archived somewhere in one form or another. There are no guarantees for that, though.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 06:19:09 AM »
If nothing else, they've still got our account names/purchases/dates of purchases all on-hand.  It seems to be a bit outdated too, likely frozen when they froze the rest of the financial systems for CoH back when it was announced.  Still lists me as having over a thousand Paragon Points, and all of those were spent pretty early on after the shutdown announcement(on all the costume parts I'd never owned before).
green hair

Kheprera

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:21:50 AM »
That means I'll be logging in to screenshot and get a hardcopy printout of what all my purchases were...

Just in case.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 06:24:53 AM »
If nothing else, they've still got our account names/purchases/dates of purchases all on-hand.  It seems to be a bit outdated too, likely frozen when they froze the rest of the financial systems for CoH back when it was announced.  Still lists me as having over a thousand Paragon Points, and all of those were spent pretty early on after the shutdown announcement(on all the costume parts I'd never owned before).

I sure hope so. A CoH resurrected where everyone has to start over is dead in the water.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 07:42:55 AM »
Welp they deleted my main NCSoft account on Dec 1.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
Welp they deleted my main NCSoft account on Dec 1.
Wait, what?  I just checked and mine's still there.  Why would they only delete some? 

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »
I was about to ask the same thing. You need to make a thread about that, VV. Did they discriminate and delete yours because of your outspokenness or what? I just checked, mine is still there.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 08:02:28 AM »
Did they discriminate and delete yours because of your outspokenness or what?

I was thinking the same thing.  I mean, VV's real name is freakin' plastered all over the internet.
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 08:09:30 AM »
I was thinking the same thing.  I mean, VV's real name is freakin' plastered all over the internet.
And considering that same name is linked to a Korean article that is not favorable to them, possible reasons come to mind.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 08:10:41 AM »
What would they gain by deleting her account?  I can't think of any way she could use the account against them, or how deleting the account would inconvenience her in any way.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 08:18:47 AM »
What would they gain by deleting her account?  I can't think of any way she could use the account against them, or how deleting the account would inconvenience her in any way.
We have seen already that NC Soft is not above petty acts of revenge.

But my account is deleted too. Says they do not have a record of the email.  Which is strange, because I have a Guild Wars account, inactive for about three years but the information was always there alongside my CoH information.  Since I did not delete my NC Soft account, it should still be there.

May bear further investigation.  If they are deleting game accounts for people who have active game subscriptions, it would be rather improper.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 08:21:26 AM »
We have seen already that NC Soft is not above petty acts of revenge.

But my account is deleted too. Says they do not have a record of the email.  Which is strange, because I have a Guild Wars account, inactive for about three years but the information was always there alongside my CoH information.  Since I did not delete my NC Soft account, it should still be there.

May bear further investigation.  If they are deleting game accounts for people who have active game subscriptions, it would be rather improper.
That would be extremely improper.  I don't like that they deleted your account which had a game on it that is still running.  What if you wanted to come back? 

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
edit: Please, kindly ignore me.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 08:34:27 AM by trwired »

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 08:28:05 AM »
This is absolutely worth a poll of some kind. Some sort of investigation before we go at NCSoft with this too.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 08:29:42 AM »
This is absolutely worth a poll of some kind. Some sort of investigation before we go at NCSoft with this too.

Whoa, chill, man. I am not a fan of these guys either, but it's not like every action they make is out of spite.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:34 AM »
They may have no other choice. For example EU laws on personal data retention are very strict in this regard and Mrs. Mercedes Lackey lives in UK which is a member of European Union. NCsoft may be obliged to remove her account under those laws if she's no longer their customer (ie. doesn't subsbribe to any other of their games).
VV lives in the UK?  I don't think that's right.... 

*Ignites the VV beacon*

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 08:31:51 AM »
Not likely, GW1 was kinda boring.  I like some of their ideas but anyways.

And VV may have this same issue

My Password was deleted.  When I tried to access the NC Soft account, I got a page saying that there was no history of my email address on file, BUT...

When I reloaded Guild Wars, and tried to log in, I received an option to have a new password emailed to me and it went to the proper address.  After that it was just a matter of logging in on their security page and resetting to new password.  Everything appears to be in place.

Should have remembered Hanlon's Razor.

So for anyone else with a similar issue in viewing their NC Soft account, you may have to find an alternate way to contact them and have them send you a new password.  In my case, at least, it appears they deleted my password from their records and managed to misplace my email address.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 08:33:30 AM »
VV lives in the UK?  I don't think that's right.... 

*Ignites the VV beacon*

Uh, no. Please, ignore me. (Really no idea where and why did my synapses decide to short circuit.)

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 01:21:40 PM »
Nope, Oklahoma.  Ammon, Rae, and Quinch live in the UK.  Made doing Team Wildcard quite festive.

I'll see about getting a new password when my brain resets.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 02:00:39 PM »
Their account recovery process is f***ed. Their system was claiming the same exact thing to me when  I forgot my password a few months ago and tried to recover it that way.
Lo and behold, I finally found my bleeding password and managed to log in to find my account intact.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:36 PM »
All right so... has anyone's account been deleted for real, here?

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
Mine's still there but had to disable No-Script to view it. Says it's VIP and playable, too. It tried to get me to 'migrate' my account to some other service. Fat chance of that.

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 02:16:09 PM »
Too scared to check. I did not touch my master NCSoft account since that horrible announcement.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
Too scared to check. I did not touch my master NCSoft account since that horrible announcement.
I do not think there's any reason to be afraid.  If it's gone you won't be able to do much about it anyway.  Plus it seems as though the service simply has a bad habit of losing passwords.

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
I can still reach mine. And on the off-chance that NCSoft drags their head out of their ass and sells the whole package - Codebase, IP, and customer data - to another buyer, then I'll have both an intact account and my Sentinel saves as back-up.

And one more thing - I screen-shotted every page of the account screen info I could find. As well as saved copies of each HTML page in the NCSoft account section pertaining to my account.

If they try and pull a fast one, I'll have a lawyer down on their ass tighter than stink on pancake.

Edit: Pancake? That word filter is WEIRD... O.o;

CG

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
I sure hope so. A CoH resurrected where everyone has to start over is dead in the water.
I think it would take a hit, but I don't think dead in the water.  I'd remake my toons and give it another go.   :)

emu265

• Elite Boss
  • Wait, what?
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2012, 02:58:52 PM »
I can still reach mine. And on the off-chance that NCSoft drags their head out of their ass and sells the whole package - Codebase, IP, and customer data - to another buyer, then I'll have both an intact account and my Sentinel saves as back-up.

And one more thing - I screen-shotted every page of the account screen info I could find. As well as saved copies of each HTML page in the NCSoft account section pertaining to my account.

If they try and pull a fast one, I'll have a lawyer down on their ass tighter than stink on pancake.

Edit: Pancake? That word filter is WEIRD... O.o;
Making me rethink making pancakes for breakfast >.>

Archlight

• Minion
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2012, 04:27:07 PM »
Dec 2 logged into mine and removed the credit card info and changed my contact info to my work address phone and email so I will be able to see if they sold my account information.

Clave Dark 5

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2012, 05:05:48 PM »
My CC expired on Sept 1st, how funny is that?  So I don't have to worry about what they may still have on me.  That said, I haven't checked.

*checks*

Still there.
"What you say is rather profound, and probably erroneous." - Joseph Conrad

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2012, 05:58:54 PM »
I haven't lost access, yet. It's odd that VV lost hers, but her account was unique (tied to a contribution deal). Even with pre-existing account data, it may have been more to do with that, due to the timing. Note that it happened before the article in the Korea Times. It would be interesting to find out if Hitstreak had a similar thing happen at a similar time.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »
I haven't lost access, yet. It's odd that VV lost hers, but her account was unique (tied to a contribution deal). Even with pre-existing account data, it may have been more to do with that, due to the timing. Note that it happened before the article in the Korea Times. It would be interesting to find out if Hitstreak had a similar thing happen at a similar time.

It might simply be that her NCSoft master account only had a City of Heroes account linked to it; the people whose master accounts are still there may have, say, an Aion game account linked to the master account. If all they had was a City of Heroes account, once CoH closed, they could close the master account. And since they're going to this new account management system, there wouldn't be any way to create a new NCSoft master account and see if you could link it to your old CoH account (or, if you used the same account name, whether it would link automatically, which I doubt).

Jetfire99

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2012, 10:37:23 PM »
Humm this really does look fishy. Given their history as others have said this may very well have been a way to lash out at VV for everything she's done on behalf of the community.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2012, 10:39:42 PM »
I think what was said up there before about how it was likely done because VV's account was a special contributor account, is the most likely deal. If we hear from TonyV and he still has his, it just wouldn't make sense to be anything but that.

Roughtrade

• Boss
  • Sitting on a Cornflake
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2012, 11:02:35 PM »
Humm this really does look fishy. Given their history as others have said this may very well have been a way to lash out at VV for everything she's done on behalf of the community.
I think what was said up there before about how it was likely done because VV's account was a special contributor account, is the most likely deal. If we hear from TonyV and he still has his, it just wouldn't make sense to be anything but that.
And it's always possible that it is just a glitch like my account last night, which appeared to be closed and I got a message from NC Soft saying they had no record of my email, but when I used a different route it came through fine.

I think this is pretty much a non-issue, except for the few special access accounts that might have been out there.

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2012, 11:43:04 PM »
Checked mine:

Master Account: Working

Active Game Accounts:  None.

No trace of my having ever subscribed to City of Heroes.

I hope this doesn't mean they've deleted the data.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2012, 11:46:18 PM »
Checked mine:

Master Account: Working

Active Game Accounts:  None.

No trace of my having ever subscribed to City of Heroes.

I hope this doesn't mean they've deleted the data.

There is some hope here, and that is that they are probably required to keep backups of customer data for X number of years.  Storage being cheap enough these days, the probability is high that they won't even bother deleting it once it hits expiration date.

Mentalshock

• Boss
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »
There is some hope here, and that is that they are probably required to keep backups of customer data for X number of years.  Storage being cheap enough these days, the probability is high that they won't even bother deleting it once it hits expiration date.

Even if they have deleted the data, it hasn't been completely erased, because aspects of it still exist in my mind.   I really wouldn't mind having to recreate everything from scratch, really. 

I hope they have saved the customer data.

Trip

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 12:04:21 AM »
My master account is still there as well. No reference to City though, except a list of previous purchases within the last 180 days.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 12:38:52 AM »
I wouldn't use anything it says on the ncsoft billing site to indicate the presence or absence of things like character data. Those are two completely separate systems, with the billing system occasionally feeding data into the game database to update subscription status.

Plus there are always the backups, which we know were made regularly (the server staff would be crazy not to) and standard best practices would dictate be moved off-site from the facility at regular intervals. Those may be separate from the other games, or they may be on the same media, making them difficult to destroy without risk of affecting their other operations.

That is of course based on observations over the years that indicate regardless of how clueless the execs are, the front line guys in Austin running the servers know what they're doing.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 01:51:55 AM »
i checked my ncsoft master account and it looks like my coh account got deleted

its a good thing i sentinel+ all my characters before the shutdown

its possible they may have taken it down because whats the use of showing an account to an inactive game?

in any case, it doesnt show my coh account there anymore, and that was the only reason i made an ncsoft master account to begin with

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 01:56:01 AM »
Maybe they're removing all references because they're getting ready to sell. >.>

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 01:57:18 AM »
Maybe they're removing all references because they're getting ready to sell. >.>

quite possible, with little knowledge and lot of unknowns there are an almost infinite amount of possibilities as to what can happen

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2012, 06:40:54 AM »
Yup.  My stuff's gone, now.  Card's still on file, but game account info is toast.  :(

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »
It still shows CoH:Freedom in the "Games" dropdown on the login page. It's gone once you log in, and, yes, my CoH sub info is gone, too.

I never linked my GW account to my master account, so that's not there, either. This layer is most likely pencil-pushing book keeepers.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Woodsfire

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Same as well for me, all city of heroes data has been wiped, its like it never even existed... Sad...

All I see is this:

Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
all my coh data is gone now too. all i got showing is my guild wars account that i havent played in yrs.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
Confirmed the same thing, of course. Hope it's a good thing.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
I can't even log in to check. Neither my username or email address are recognized. Shortly after the CoH closure, I removed my payment information.

Despite payment info being removed from my husband's account, its still active. CoH was removed and guild wars is the only game listed.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »
i think on my master account it shows i have 3 unused trial accounts for GW (i think i had 3 for lineage 1 too but i think that got taken down for US)

WolfWings

• Underling
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »
It looks like they purged *ALL* older games from folks account listings.

Mine used to still list in a separate 'defunct' area the Auto Assault and Exteel accounts I had, and I could dive down to see the few times I actually bought stuff on both of those games while they existed. I'd also participated in the Beta for both, so it listed them as 'Beta' accounts as well.

This appears to be an attempt to actively scrub all evidence of their numerous withdrawn MMOs from their corporate existance, if not outright scrub their attempts at Western-style MMOs at all.

And yes, I got the "City of Heroes account with downgrade" warning when I removed my credit-card information as well.

But I think they just disabled showing the 'defunct' games from folks accounts anymore, or any data relating to them. :(

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »
I can't even log in to check. Neither my username or email address are recognized. Shortly after the CoH closure, I removed my payment information.

With me, I have to backdoor it -- I can log in, and get to the 'migrate your account' page, but then I can't get past that to account management unless I open up the source and copy out the 'https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/accountManagement.pl' URL and paste it into the address bar. Then I get the page that shows just my Aion account. However, I went in a few days after shutdown and screenshotted my CoH account information for reference.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:05 AM »
My master account is still there and intact but the 'game account' side of things is blank. Oh well, I had pulled my CC info off of the website around Dec 2. anyway.

I think I will avoid reading much into this other than a semi-automatic bookkeeping process.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2012, 04:56:14 AM »
Well thanks to first having my debit card cloned....
Then having my credit card cloned....
Then losing my wallet....

Whatever information NCSoft had on my finances is now obfuscated.

I did find my wallet (or rather, it was returned to me safe and intact), but only after driving all the pancake over, canceling cards, and checking on bank records and getting a new driver's license.

Friday, from 1 AM until the power outage sent us to bed at 10 PM, was a very, very bad day.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2012, 05:21:41 AM »
*gives these to VV*

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 05:26:24 AM »
"but only after driving all the pancake over"

I am sure many of us would have wanted that.
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »
Well thanks to first having my debit card cloned....
Then having my credit card cloned....
Then losing my wallet....

Whatever information NCSoft had on my finances is now obfuscated.

I did find my wallet (or rather, it was returned to me safe and intact), but only after driving all the pancake over, canceling cards, and checking on bank records and getting a new driver's license.

Friday, from 1 AM until the power outage sent us to bed at 10 PM, was a very, very bad day.
I think there also was pancake obfuscation. Crepe !
Yeeessss....

ObsidianPhoenix76

• Lieutenant
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2012, 02:46:33 AM »
Well...  My NC soft master account is there, as is my ancient and logged into once Lineage 2 (tried it, meh), and Aion (played it for a bit because of the free version I got from Tabula Rasa), but CoH is gone....

*sniff*

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2012, 03:53:27 AM »
My NCSoft account that I subscribed with is still there, but all my Trial-only accounts (even one I logged into just a day or two before shutdown, to grab the characters off of it) all appear to be gone.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2012, 05:37:08 AM »
depending on what happened to the accounts it could be good or bad

if they are truly deleted then we would all have to start over

if they were just seperated from the master account in case of a sale, that would be very good

we just dont know which it is

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2012, 05:41:01 AM »
The saddest words ever are "...it might have been."

The most frustrating words ever are  "...we don't know."

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2012, 05:56:17 AM »
The most frustrating words ever are  "...we don't know."
Yet they may be the most honest.  Sadly few in the public eye are willing to use them.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
Yet they may be the most honest.  Sadly few in the public eye are willing to use them.
Unless, of course, they do know and don't want to be held responsible for what they did with that knowledge.

Crindon

• Underling
« Reply #67 on: December 19, 2012, 02:34:33 PM »

I wouldn't say it would be dead in the water. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to start from scratch, I am one of them.

Any form of CoH will be great.

Sugoi

• Boss
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »

Good!  More stuff for ME!   ;D

Seriously, I created over 400 alts in the game on two different accounts... One of the really fun things about CoH was trying new ATs /  power combos to see what worked, and how it worked (or didn't).  Starting over was a nearly everyday occurance for me.  I'd be looking forward to it!

Where's the nearest Altaholics Anonymous office?

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: December 19, 2012, 04:31:26 PM »
I wouldn't say it would be dead in the water. There are plenty of people out there that are willing to start from scratch, I am one of them.

I'm one of them too. I'd prefer to keep my old characters if possible, but I can re-level them if need be. I'm sure I could find a thing or two I might do differently if I had to reroll. And as for stuff, well, stuff's easy to get back. You go arrest some bad guys, and vanquish some evil, and they throw money at you. It's awesome! :D

Where's the nearest Altaholics Anonymous office?

I've been holding meetings in our basement lately, but between me and all my alts it's pretty much full. ;)

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2012, 05:45:38 PM »
I've been holding meetings in our basement lately, but between me and all my alts it's pretty much full. ;)

Do you get a new slot once a year?

Crindon

• Underling
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
I'm one of them too. I'd prefer to keep my old characters if possible, but I can re-level them if need be. I'm sure I could find a thing or two I might do differently if I had to reroll. And as for stuff, well, stuff's easy to get back. You go arrest some bad guys, and vanquish some evil, and they throw money at you. It's awesome! :D

Oh yea it'd be nice if our toons were still there when/if CoH was brought back. I'd play regardless though.

Quinch

« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
You go arrest some bad guys, and vanquish some evil, and they throw money at you.

Whenever they say they want their kid to grow up to be just like me, I end up thinking, "did they just pay me a licensing fee for their kid?"

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2012, 06:48:08 PM »
Do you get a new slot once a year?

Do fold-up camping chairs count?

Whenever they say they want their kid to grow up to be just like me, I end up thinking, "did they just pay me a licensing fee for their kid?"

Hmmm... well I say throw in the rights to let them dress up as you for Halloween, and call it a deal. Win-win! ;)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2012, 07:43:37 PM »

Yeah I'd start from scratch even if it ended up being a choice.

Inside the skull------ "The game have new life, from a new effort that was unheard of prior, with new features, I shall bring no old baggage and start from the bottom up as if it was the start of my first  years ever playing all over again instead of already played for years and adding on."

"New job, new truck, new wife"-Twister

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #75 on: December 19, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »
Um, we're altoholics. It's what we do! ;)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »
Um, we're altoholics. It's what we do! ;)

Hi, I'm Jaguar. My friends call me Jag for short and uhmm I've been alting for 7 years and uhm it ruined my relationship with my main and caused lot of friction in our relationship and uhmmm I'm an altoholic.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:23 PM »

I am too. But I'm not like most people. I know several of my own friends have said they wouldn't return if they had to start over.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2012, 01:26:28 AM »
I am too. But I'm not like most people. I know several of my own friends have said they wouldn't return if they had to start over.

Not to be cynical, I can name hundreds, if not thousands, of people who have said they wouldn't buy my books anymore because I killed off their favorite character or did something else they didn't like.

Guess what?  They still buy my books.

LadyImmolatasia

• Minion
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2012, 01:32:20 AM »

Hell, re-leveling may be a pain the rear, I admit. 50 levels to gain over again? I'd hate it, but you know what, I'd grind it if I got the game back with a smile on my face.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2012, 01:36:28 AM »
Hell, re-leveling may be a pain the rear, I admit. 50 levels to gain over again? I'd hate it, but you know what, I'd grind it if I got the game back with a smile on my face.

Shoot, these days leveling back up is NOTHING like as bad as it was 4 years ago.  Besides!  New content!

Terwyn

• Plan Z: Business/Marketing Lead
  • Elite Boss
    • Missing Worlds
« Reply #81 on: December 20, 2012, 01:37:25 AM »
Not only that, doing new content with friends!
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
- Albert Einstein

http://missingworlds.wordpress.com

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #82 on: December 20, 2012, 02:14:56 AM »
Shoot, these days leveling back up is NOTHING like as bad as it was 4 years ago.  Besides!  New content!

No kidding... I started a new Beam Rifle / Time corrupter with about six weeks left and made 50 with a week to spare (could have made the Incarnate levels but was helping level my son's main to 50).  My first 50s took WAY longer back in the day.

If the only way to get COH back would be starting over completely, then I'd totally be there.

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2012, 02:24:21 AM »
I know several of my own friends have said they wouldn't return if they had to start over.

They made that statement after one of their favorite things had just been taken away from the world. Ask again after it gets given back to the world. It's much easier to be enthusiastic when the situation is actually positive.

I have a feeling, when we get this game brought back online, we'll see most of the previous players coming back... plus a whole bunch of new ones who want to see what the fuss is about.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2012, 02:57:56 AM »
Pft, even if every single one of my toons was wiped, and I had to make em from scratch, I'd be there. I would be irritated, sure, but you better believe I'd be there.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2012, 03:35:02 AM »
For me, being forced to start over is just a chance to reroll everyone with different powersets. Which any of my friends will tell you I did often enough anyway.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2012, 03:43:02 AM »
It's a good point. A lot of times, people will say they'd do one thing, but then when it's gametime, they do it exactly the way they said they wouldn't. I bet a few of them at least would return, providing they're not all wrapped up in their new games. And honestly, it might even make some long dormant players come back. The opportunity for everyone to be on an even playing field is an enticing one, for some players.

Also hi, General. Zaxa says hi too. :p

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2012, 03:46:38 AM »
Agreed.  I would probably even modify my signature Tanker by taking Street Justice instead of Super Strength since it made more sense conceptually.  Not sure whether or not I'd keep Invulnerability, but I probably would.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2012, 03:55:57 AM »
Start over or not have city at all?

Why is this even a question?
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2012, 03:59:38 AM »
Hmm.. let's see. I'm actually gonna think this out.

Raine Heartfall - Dark/Dark Controller. This I would keep, absolutely. I've rerolled her enough and finally found the right combinations for her concept. I put something like fifteen billion inf into her build. I had no idea it'd all mean nothing a short few months later.
Hellgirl - Fire/MM Blaster. I think I'd have to keep this too, because they're both part of her concept. Maybe I'd make a mind/fire dominator instead, though.
Lightsparrow - Titan Weapons/WP Scrapper. Another character I rerolled several times. I think I'd keep this too, it was a blast to level.
Aeka - DB/Invuln Scrapper. This one I think I'd actually redo. Something with Bio Armor as secondary. Maybe DB/Bio or Martial Arts/Bio. Or maybe Savage Melee when it released!
Zaxa - SJ/Nin Stalker. I'd keep this one. It's just too damn fun, I'd look forward to the opportunity to level her again just like she was.
Kinzie Rose - Fire/Fire Brute. I'd reroll this. I don't know what to, though. The only reason I never rerolled her before is because she was my badging character since 2007 (Though the ooc character itself had been renamed and given a new concept. She began as Lilith Perfidus. Wonder where I got my name from.) And as a side note, at shutdown, I had 1297 badges.
Snowbelle - Ice/Earth Dominator. I would change this. Ice doesn't hold up anymore as a control set. Maybe Ice/Ice Corruptor. Could be fun!
Heavenly Sun - TA/A Defender. This one breaks my heart. I literally just finished incarnating her a week before the announcement. I think I'd return to her original build though. Archery/Energy Blaster. Super archer!
Auriana - Super Strength/Shield Brute. I think I'd keep this one too, it's so satisfying!

Honestly, my biggest worry for any CoH return, is wondering if I'd be able to get all the names I had back. Not that I had good ones, but they were mine. This reminds me too, though. About this time in 2009, I asked the original owner of Snowbelle if he could give me the name, if he wasn't using it. The day before Christmas, he sent me a message that he'd released it to me because he was overtaken with the holiday spirit. I was so overjoyed I emailed him a billion inf for his trouble.

Andy

• Underling
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2012, 04:23:44 AM »
Honestly, my biggest worry for any CoH return, is wondering if I'd be able to get all the names I had back.

Ditto. I'd be bummed about the loss of my 50s, recipes, influence, badges, etc., but I could re-roll and re-level. No big deal. However, I had a bunch of names on Virtue that I loooooooooved. I'd be really sad about losing those, BUT if I had to choose between no CoH or CoH with new names and new characters, I'd take the latter for sure!

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2012, 04:54:35 AM »
@Pixy's stranglehold over the name Silver Girl must be undone! I must reclaim my birthrite!

...yeah, no, it'd suck to lose all of that, but we'll all be better off if we assume getting back a clean slate.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2012, 05:02:59 AM »
Ditto. I'd be bummed about the loss of my 50s, recipes, influence, badges, etc., but I could re-roll and re-level. No big deal.

Yeah. Badges I don't care about, it was always just for fun. Something I did casually. I've deleted more 50s than I had at the end, so I don't care about that either. Recipes/enhancements, I sold all of my stockpile, like four bins full, for 1 inf each in early September so people could get use out of them before the end. That was my idea of charity, heh. Though I still made something like six billion inf doing it. I had intended to give all my inf away on costume contests, so that people could benefit from that too. But I never got around to it.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2012, 11:54:06 AM »
I'd miss the unlocked costume bits (particularly the Magic pieces and the Alpha/Omega costume sets), but I'd happily restart my characters if I had to.  I have all their costumes saved, and I'd probably remake them with slightly different powersets (Elec/Elec for my Elec/Invuln Brute; Willpower/Stone for my Stone/Stone Tanker) for variety.

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #94 on: December 21, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »
For me, being forced to start over is just a chance to reroll everyone with different powersets. Which any of my friends will tell you I did often enough anyway.

Yep, starting over in CoH wouldn't be as good as getting it all back, but given how many of us loved playing CoH, loved making new alts, starting over from zero wouldn't be as bad as no CoH.  I probably know at least 40 people who'd resub to CoH.
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine