Author Topic: Still out there  (Read 17067 times)

Mentalshock

• Boss
Re: Still out there
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2012, 11:52:31 PM »
There is some hope here, and that is that they are probably required to keep backups of customer data for X number of years.  Storage being cheap enough these days, the probability is high that they won't even bother deleting it once it hits expiration date.

Even if they have deleted the data, it hasn't been completely erased, because aspects of it still exist in my mind.   I really wouldn't mind having to recreate everything from scratch, really. 

I hope they have saved the customer data.

Trip

• Underling
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2012, 12:04:21 AM »
My master account is still there as well. No reference to City though, except a list of previous purchases within the last 180 days.

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2012, 12:38:52 AM »
I wouldn't use anything it says on the ncsoft billing site to indicate the presence or absence of things like character data. Those are two completely separate systems, with the billing system occasionally feeding data into the game database to update subscription status.

Plus there are always the backups, which we know were made regularly (the server staff would be crazy not to) and standard best practices would dictate be moved off-site from the facility at regular intervals. Those may be separate from the other games, or they may be on the same media, making them difficult to destroy without risk of affecting their other operations.

That is of course based on observations over the years that indicate regardless of how clueless the execs are, the front line guys in Austin running the servers know what they're doing.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2012, 01:51:55 AM »
i checked my ncsoft master account and it looks like my coh account got deleted

its a good thing i sentinel+ all my characters before the shutdown

its possible they may have taken it down because whats the use of showing an account to an inactive game?

in any case, it doesnt show my coh account there anymore, and that was the only reason i made an ncsoft master account to begin with

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2012, 01:56:01 AM »
Maybe they're removing all references because they're getting ready to sell. >.>

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2012, 01:57:18 AM »
Maybe they're removing all references because they're getting ready to sell. >.>

quite possible, with little knowledge and lot of unknowns there are an almost infinite amount of possibilities as to what can happen

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2012, 06:40:54 AM »
Yup.  My stuff's gone, now.  Card's still on file, but game account info is toast.  :(

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »
It still shows CoH:Freedom in the "Games" dropdown on the login page. It's gone once you log in, and, yes, my CoH sub info is gone, too.

I never linked my GW account to my master account, so that's not there, either. This layer is most likely pencil-pushing book keeepers.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Woodsfire

• Underling
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:38 AM »

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:11 AM »
Same as well for me, all city of heroes data has been wiped, its like it never even existed... Sad...

All I see is this:

Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)

beveri8469

• Boss
  • still inside atlas park hospital waiting to leave
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
all my coh data is gone now too. all i got showing is my guild wars account that i havent played in yrs.
@Eternal Twilight
Now in Paragon

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2012, 09:57:22 AM »
Confirmed the same thing, of course. Hope it's a good thing.

Xieveral

• Chaotic Neutral
  • Boss
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
I can't even log in to check. Neither my username or email address are recognized. Shortly after the CoH closure, I removed my payment information.

Despite payment info being removed from my husband's account, its still active. CoH was removed and guild wars is the only game listed.
?RSN = CKN(CRS.ROD)

RSN = GLR(EMP.MCL)

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
« Reply #53 on: December 16, 2012, 07:51:22 PM »
i think on my master account it shows i have 3 unused trial accounts for GW (i think i had 3 for lineage 1 too but i think that got taken down for US)

WolfWings

• Underling
« Reply #54 on: December 16, 2012, 08:17:03 PM »
It looks like they purged *ALL* older games from folks account listings.

Mine used to still list in a separate 'defunct' area the Auto Assault and Exteel accounts I had, and I could dive down to see the few times I actually bought stuff on both of those games while they existed. I'd also participated in the Beta for both, so it listed them as 'Beta' accounts as well.

This appears to be an attempt to actively scrub all evidence of their numerous withdrawn MMOs from their corporate existance, if not outright scrub their attempts at Western-style MMOs at all.

And yes, I got the "City of Heroes account with downgrade" warning when I removed my credit-card information as well.

But I think they just disabled showing the 'defunct' games from folks accounts anymore, or any data relating to them. :(

srmalloy

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2012, 12:06:10 AM »
I can't even log in to check. Neither my username or email address are recognized. Shortly after the CoH closure, I removed my payment information.

With me, I have to backdoor it -- I can log in, and get to the 'migrate your account' page, but then I can't get past that to account management unless I open up the source and copy out the 'https://secure.ncsoft.com/cgi-bin/accountManagement.pl' URL and paste it into the address bar. Then I get the page that shows just my Aion account. However, I went in a few days after shutdown and screenshotted my CoH account information for reference.

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2012, 04:24:05 AM »
My master account is still there and intact but the 'game account' side of things is blank. Oh well, I had pulled my CC info off of the website around Dec 2. anyway.

I think I will avoid reading much into this other than a semi-automatic bookkeeping process.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2012, 04:56:14 AM »
Well thanks to first having my debit card cloned....
Then having my credit card cloned....
Then losing my wallet....

Whatever information NCSoft had on my finances is now obfuscated.

I did find my wallet (or rather, it was returned to me safe and intact), but only after driving all the pancake over, canceling cards, and checking on bank records and getting a new driver's license.

Friday, from 1 AM until the power outage sent us to bed at 10 PM, was a very, very bad day.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2012, 05:21:41 AM »
*gives these to VV*

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Rigo42

• Minion
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2012, 05:26:24 AM »
"but only after driving all the pancake over"

I am sure many of us would have wanted that.
Awaiting the day I can return to my childhood-created hero :)