Author Topic: Champions Online Freeform- Basic rundown in COH speak.  (Read 12220 times)

Septipheran

Champions Online Freeform- Basic rundown in COH speak.
« on: December 10, 2012, 10:43:37 PM »
So I wrote this up for a friend that's first getting into the game, and I figured I'd share it here. I tried as much as possible to put things in a way that's easily translatable to a COH player. From here, you can find more detailed info on the CO forums. I can also try to field some questions, but keep in mind that I've been playing for less than three months.

For your primary superstat, I recommend Constitution. You get two secondaries as you level- I would definitely make Intelligence the second one, and if you're playing ranged, either Ego or Dexterity as the third.

For your power selections, here's what every character should have.

1.) An energy builder. Self explanatory.

2.) A single target attack. Self explanatory.

3.) A slotted passive. You can only have one active at a time. This is basically the equivalent of all your toggles in a COH build. I recommend Invulnerability from the Power Armor framework as your passive, but here's a full list: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Slotted_Passive

4.) An AOE attack. Self explanatory.

5.) A self heal. The best one in my opinion is Conviction from the Celestial framework, or Bountiful Chi Resurgence if you use Masterful Dodge (I'll get to that.) Here's a full list: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Healing

6.) An active defense. These are basically like "Moment of Glory" powers. They also work like break free's if you get mezzed. The best one in my opinion is Masterful Dodge. Here's a full list: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Active_Defense

7.) A toggle power. You can only have one active at a time. Pick which one you get based on your super stats. If you're going full ranged, I recommend Concentration. Here's a full list: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Form

8.) An active offense. These are like "aim," build up, Rage, etc. Either go with two active defenses or two active offenses, depending on if you'd rather do more DPS or be more durable. For range, and if you go super DEX especially, I recommend Ego Surge and Lock n' Load. Here's a full list: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Active_Offense

9.) An energy unlock. These are powers that return energy to you under certain conditions. If you build right, you'll get to a point where you never have to use your energy builder. The best energy unlock in my opinion is Molecular Self Assembly from Technology. Here's a full list: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Energy_Unlock

10.) Something to feed Molecular Self Assembly. This power grants you energy every time a power comes off cooldown, so it's good to have a really short cooldown power or two. You can browse the wiki for short cooldown powers, but on a full ranged build I recommend taking Evasive Maneuvers from Archery, especially if you take Masterful Dodge as your active defense.

11.) A block upgrade. These are different ways to make your block much more powerful and add different perks to it. If you use Evasive Maneuvers and Masterful Dodge, I definitely recommend Parry with the Elusive Monk advantage. Here's a full list: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/wiki/Block

For the rest of your powers, there's really quite a bit of flexibility. These essentials or some variation should be taken on all builds though.

As for your gear, do the quest lines, and you'll get gear as rewards and drops from mobs. Equip gear based on your super stats- So if you're super Constitution, equip constitution gear. You'll find gear that includes all of your super stats as you level more and more, but focus on what you have at the time.

Same deal with talents, base which talents you pick around your super stats. Once you get to level 10, you'll unlock specializations. Your first specialization will be your primary super stat. Always upgrade gear enhancing specializations to max.

Once you get 10 points in that tree, you unlock your second specialization tree. I highly recommend picking vindicator, and slotting the Rush of Battle to max immediately. This provides a self heal over time whenever you defeat an enemy, and it's awesome to level with.

Septipheran

Re: Champions Online Freeform- Basic rundown in COH speak.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 10:58:01 PM »
oops, I just noticed the Champions Online subsection in this forum. Sorry about that, feel free to move my post if you have time, sir/madam moderator(s.)

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 01:07:52 PM »
My apologies in advance, I think this is a bad thing to post in an old subject, but I cannot find the posts regarding freeform and Silver account. Please move me if I'm in the wrong place. Could I let my Gold account expire and then just unlock (with Zen) one Freeform toon I already have? Or does that not work that way? I appreciate any guidance. :)

Xev

• Elite Boss
  • |STO|~Luckshot-D'Xev-T'Xev> |CO|~Deeps-Jooc-IDAK>
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 02:58:40 PM »
I think the answer to your question is "No" but hopefully someone with first hand experience can tell you for sure.

Food for thought - if you are locked out of the toon you want to play then you could buy a FF slot with Zen (like you already planned) and remake the toon. You'll still have access to your costume (right?) and powers. You won't be able to tint your powers anymore. I would guess that you could rename the toon you are remaking so that you can even use the name again, but, I'm not sure what access you have to a Gold toon once you go Silver - you may have to rename him before you lose your sub. You'll lose all your perks and toys too, of course, if you remake your toon.

If you have > 250 G I dunno how you get access to that.. I'm kinda curious what happens if you have 300k Globals and convert to Silver.

I've got FF slots but have never been Gold so I can't answer your question, sorry! GL. Hope this thread helps get you where you're going.
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »
My understanding is the freeform slot is just that ... a freeform slot. You would have to remake your toon in the slot, not use it to keep him active.

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 08:05:23 PM »
Don't know how he could possibly do it either. When you buy a FF slot, it is a blank slot for making a new toon. When you drop your sub you can't access your FF's unless you convert them to AT.

I've bought FF slots but never had a sub and dropped it and then tried to do anything with it though so I don't know the options first hand.

I'm curious if he can keep his costume pieces (dunno why not) and any Globals > 250 (dunno how...) ..
Some Faves:

Jooc  ~L50 TW/Ele Brute> Senge  ~L50 Claws/Fire Brute> Leezard  ~L50 Claws/Regen Scrapper> Kosmoz  ~L50 Fire/MM Blaster>  Xev  ~L50 Ice/Emp Troller> |NW|~~ Erste ~L80 Warlock> Reks ~L80 Rogue> Phizzl ~L80 Wizard> Ayeron Gahls McBinty ~L80 Fighter>

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 04:28:24 AM »
FF slots from subscribing (And any characters in them) become inaccessible the moment you drop subscription, and must be converted to ATs to play unless you resubscribe.

If you buy normal slots while subscribed they're FF slots while you remain subscribed, and become silver slots when you unsubscribe. Any characters in them will have to be converted.

If you buy the $50 each FF slots from the store, they're accessible regardless of subscription status with no conversion needed. A locked FF character cannot be transferred into one of these slots, they're entirely seperate.

Some costume pieces will lock when you drop subscription, but to my knowledge any costumes made with them remain as they are unless you visit a tailor and edit them, at which point you'll be forced to change them before it'll let you save the costume. There's four or five sets of them, I think, that gold players get access to for free. If you're silver you can pay to unlock them and continue using them, though. Any sets you actually paid for will remain usable while silver.

Globals above 250 to my knowledge are kept and can be used, but you can't earn or collect any more until you drop below the 250 mark. It's also worth noting that if you have a hideout, you can store excess globals in the account bank. There's no limit on that, even for silvers, aside from only being able to take them out 250 at a time.

damienray

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 02:18:35 PM »
Thank you all very much.  :) ;) ;D

Xev

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »
Globals above 250 to my knowledge are kept and can be used, but you can't earn or collect any more until you drop below the 250 mark.

Thaaaat's how it works! I seem to remember reading this before now that you mention it. So, I could drop my imaginary sub that has 300k Globals and buy a hideout with Zen and store the G's there.

I wonder how the costume thing actually does work. If you at least keep your dropped costume pieces I guess that's not so bad.

For as much entertainment as I've gotten out of the Silver system (they still get my $$ sometimes too, just not in the form of a sub) I can't complain about the details at all but they're interesting to know.

Thank you all very much.  :) ;) ;D

Awesome  : )
Some Faves:

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 04:03:27 AM »
Dropped costume pieces unlock when you use the dropped item to unlock them, and that's it. They don't interact with subscriptions at all. The only costume pieces you'll lose for unsubscribing are the ones in the store that unlock free while subscribed. And even then you can pay the $4.75 a set to unlock them while silver if you really want them.