Author Topic: I had a 'relapse' moment today.  (Read 10010 times)

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
Re: I had a 'relapse' moment today.
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 05:54:01 AM »
You don't turn off Army of Darkness until it's over. Those are the rules.

That's right. Hail to the King, baby.
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 06:57:50 AM »
I had a tiny bit of a relapse moment in a different way...

Please understand that it was not uncommon for me to not log in for a week or maybe two now and then (especially the past year, as I've been busy on a big project of mine)...
So, it just sort of hit me the other day. I came home really exhausted and beaten down from some long hours of work and found myself wanting to play.
I knew full well that I couldn't, so it wasn't one of those brain lapses... but it was just that first moment when I truly, naturally, instinctively said, "I want to log in for a bit".
Sure, I wanted to log in the Saturday after the shut down, but... this was different.

Anyhow... We're here, standing shoulder to shoulder... for each other... for our game... for that work of art... for what's right.
I'm very happy to be amongst you all. :)
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

LightofthePhoenix

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 07:30:56 AM »
I had a relapse this past Saturday (about a week after the shut down...) as well.  I was looking at my list of games in Steam just trying to find something to play.  Note: This list includes a wide variety of games including Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

As I looked at the list and mentally checked off each game as one I didn't feel like playing at the time I just thought to myself "Eh.  I really don't feel like playing any of these.  I'll just go play good ol'... City... of Heroes..."  And yes, that is exactly how it went down in my head.  The use of 'good ol'' just before my slow realization of what I was thinking.  Needless to say I was genuinely depressed for at least a couple hours after that.
My CoH documentary class project:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGcFC197rfQ

Kuriositys Kat

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 07:45:53 AM »
I smell a new lapel pin.

Dang it  I  knew I should have cultivated more interest in jewelry making besides stringing pearls.  Only  proper enameling will do that justice.
"There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, and somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do!" - The Doctor

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 08:22:10 AM »
And my uh... hmmm.... :: Looks around. :: My trained attack kitten!

SARobb

• Boss
  • Rawr.
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
I'm not one to wax poetic with words.  But I do understand the feeling.  I had one of those moments the other day when driving home.

Self: yaknow.... i wanna sit down and play jen (my mind/psy/psy dommie)
*gets excited cause the toon is fun*

Self: yep... grab a beer... sit dow- oh... that's right.
*suddenly the drive home seemed a lot longer*

So ya. I sat down and played Champions. Which pales in comparison to CoH... because I needed some sort of hero fix and I wasn't about to play that abomination DCUO... it didn't fix the fact that our home is dark right now, but it was something.  That, and I dug up Jock's stories and am in the process of sharing them in this link: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7313.0.html
Stand up for what you beleive in - even if you are standing alone

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
That's right. Hail to the King, baby.

"Lady, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave the store."
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
with the icon program that codewalker worked up you semi-can create characters and stories for them

:O  where...?

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2012, 04:47:26 PM »

Thanks, Healix, for yet another BIG smile!   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »

Which is exactly why I can't go anywhere else. Visiting these forums, playing the demos and the demo-editor helps me to ovecome my relapse moments.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 10:38:28 PM »
That'd be an awesome ball cap, too. I really wish I still wore those!
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »
We need a button. And a patch. And a t-shirt. We need that emblem everywhere, really. Everywhere. >.>
We are the crazy ones, the mavericks, the dreamers, the forgotten sons. We color outside the lines for fun. We are the crazy ones! - "The Crazy Ones," Stellar Revival

"We put ourselves in "the attitude of heroes"--and we all became a little more heroic." - VV

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2012, 01:09:22 PM »
Easy enough to buy tee shirt transfer paper, get the pic/emblem you want and iron it on the front or back of a shirt...wear with pride. Could also do ball caps, aprons, jackets, canvas bags etc. This is the back of a tee shirt I did in 2005.

I am now inpired to make a new one. I will post it as soon as it's done.

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
Reading that article on onrpg.com, the interview with Matt and Melissa, was very difficult for me, and caused yet another 'relapse' moment.

JetFlash

• Boss
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2012, 10:17:43 PM »
Man I miss camp snoopy..

Bah... all I need is the LEGO Store.   :D

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2012, 10:42:42 PM »

Don't sit on your laurels waiting to hear back from Disney on TF Hail Mary. Keep sending letters. Get others to send letters. Letters, and letters, and letters. Wrote one already? Write more. Let them know that you're interested enough to keep on top of it, and keep shouting at the heavens. I want NCSoft to hear our roars of defiance all the way in South Korea. I want the Mouse to hear our combined voices and realize that there is a market here. There is a strong, willful, loyal community waiting to give them money if they invest in restoring our City to its former glory.

Give not an inch. Delay not a second. Don't just stand your ground, advance. It's time to start fighting back, not give up.

Speaking of which, I need to go ahead and work on my letter to Disney and other entities. I'm coming up with a list of people to contact in case the Plan Zs  is the option that will continue on, and see if they interested in throwing their weight behind the projects and or when it's time, some marketing, thorugh radios, commericials in Atlanta on the radio and other stuff to get the name and product out. Hell, I'll go as far as paying for a few commericals myself if I have to when the time comes and or convince my friend E. who played COX for years and who make my account look like  sofa change to get behind the project and help out even if it's just for the game, but that task is about as daunting as convincing NCSoft to let go of it IP but I can walk away saying I tried them. If anyone have any tips to help me out with convincing E. to let go of some cash to support the project, way more than I can let go (if she wanted to and can convince her husband probably could buy a good portion of the IP today themselves if they chose to and NCSoft was willing to let go (going by a buy price of 15-30 million dollars.), I'm all ears. Of course this will be all moot if another company picks up the IP but just in case, help me help out in anyways I can on the fincancial standpoint when the time comes for that.

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2012, 02:35:23 AM »
The mention of the base editor brought a tear to my eye.  :'(

I remember the bases I built.  The one I was most proud of was my base for The Villains of Paragon City on the Virtue server.  You see, Arbiter Fallen's base was taken down in John Starkweather's absence, so it fell unto me, in May, to design the whole thing from scratch.

It was still never completed.  I used all 20,000 decorative items and was constantly going in there, substituting one item that could do the work of five, and so on.  But in that time, I built some of the most beautiful structures that I ever did, sinking hundreds of hours into it.

I built an arena with at least a hundred seats for spectators.

I built a full medical bay with operating rooms and a holding area for test subjects.

I built a four building barracks with three floors each.  It looked like an apartment block from Dark Astoria or Kings Row.  about 5,000 items were in that room alone.

I built a tank with a crew compartment that could hold a dozen troops.  Battle stations in the turret and in the hull.

I built a small shuttle in our seven room space battlecruiser, designed to go up against Jagged Edge's space station SG base in a roleplay battle we never waged.

And I was even building a new security entrance the day I...heard the news on August 29th.

...I never worked on that VoPC base again after that...

It seems that we had more urgent things to worry about, like exploring content, getting badges, experiencing the game before it went out.

And yet, even though I don't have the base anymore, I can still imagine myself walking through its halls as Femme Fencer.  I can imagine with clarity jumping over items, examining every room.  It makes me believe what Thomas Hobbes said about the end of the world, that if everything in the universe were destroyed, the human mind would be able to recreate it in every detail.

Indeed, if we ever do get the game back, I'd redo everything if had to be redone.  And, hopefully DrakeGrimm, you'll be able to recreate that roof in your own SG base.

DrakeGrimm

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2012, 08:57:24 AM »
Our City will return. Never lose hope. Never lose faith. Never give up.

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2012, 09:30:26 AM »
The Marines are still collecting Toys for Tots.

Go get something, no matter how small, and donate it. 

If you can afford 20...do that (we did, one for each kid at Sandy Hook).
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido