Author Topic: Isn't this Disney's Marvel online game?  (Read 8629 times)

Quinch

Re: Isn't this Disney's Marvel online game?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
I wouldn't expect Disney ever to market something that isn't pretty much infantilized.

The corporation may have made their bones on "imagineering" but when it comes to marketing they are single-minded. Where there's no hope of appealing to the mothers of toddlers and pre-teens they won't bother. That's their market-segment and they're damn good at milking it.

I wouldn't bet on that - Disney has a lot of fingers in a lot of pies, and they don't always slap the mouse logo on everything. For example, Kill Bill was made while Disney owned Miramax. I doubt they'd market CoH as rated E, given the skimpiness of some of the costumes {not that Pocahontas' design didn't skirt the line {no pun regretted}}, but they're diversified enough to market it as something.

Segev

• Plan Z: Interim Producer
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 05:18:00 PM »
I'm also a little bitter with how they instigated their lawsuit against Cryptic, if the reports of it being as a result of Marvel employees going in and deliberately creating toons to look like copyrighted characters is accurate.
This is less reprehensible than you might think. They didn't do it deceptively; they were making the case that it could be done, so they proceeded to demonstrate it.

If your argument is, "You've provided all the tools necessary for the average grade-schooler to build an atomic bomb in your new toy," it's not disingenuous to grab a few average grade-schoolers and have them build atomic bombs with the tool kit to demonstrate the point. (I'm not doing moral equivalence, here; just making a grossly exaggerated case-in-point. To Marvel, the threat that "xxxWolverineXXX" would threaten their trademark was sufficiently bad to sue over, so they had to demonstrate that it was possible to make xxxWolverineXXX in CoH to make their case that the danger was real.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 05:26:55 PM »
This is less reprehensible than you might think. They didn't do it deceptively; they were making the case that it could be done, so they proceeded to demonstrate it.

I know that. In order to make a successful case, you have to have evidence.

I still don't like it.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

pogoman

• Vox Populi
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 05:52:38 PM »
I happened to catch a live demo on twitchtv yesterday. I watched for a few seconds. The dev said 'all stats are random but you can control which costume they are wearing and that's very important to me.' HUH??? WHA??? THAT"S what's important to you??  Game is failing before it even goes live!.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
All stats are random...what??
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

HarvesterOfEyes

• Lieutenant
  • Mine is to collect from the wicked.
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 06:13:26 PM »
Oooo it's GS3 all over again.

You'll have to spend a few hours rolling characters until you get the stat combo you want.

I have ~25 year old games requiring a dos emulator to run that sound like more fun.

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 07:28:06 PM »
I'm not looking to pile on any hate, as I don't have an axe to grind about anything from the past, but...

This game has 0.001 appeal to me (I like seeing well rendered characters, but I can just browse the images and be done with that, so...).
Honestly, this is just my personal preference and bias, I never seem to be able to enjoy the Diablo style of games. I can't think of a one that I have.

Even Baldurs Gate and Neverwinter Nights and such just never worked for me. I never felt connected to it or alive within it. Not sure if it is as simple as the camera angle or if it is the controls or a combination or what.

Hm, I'm not sure how much this fits, but I did enjoy playing Guantlet: Dark Legacy (with my wife and my brother, together in the same room, yapping, laughing and having fun). I played Marvel Ultimate Alliance a handful of times, but didn't really enjoy that one anywhere near as much.

I'm not sure that such a style of game works for me for the super hero genre. I want to feel that beat'em up action (plus use stranger powers to handle situations a bit differently) and I can't imagine getting that feeling through that style of game. I could certainly be wrong, so take all of that with a grain of salt (and some cherries and licorice and I think I have a few cashews here too)...

I also have to agree with the sentiment that a Marvel "mmo" just begs for that deeper level of immersion - that virtual reality of living within the world and all of the realities that go along with being a super hero (and/or a freak) there.

While I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to make a more simple game and provide a team-up game of this sort - I do see it as a cop-out compared to tackling a much more grand endeavor.
Then again, in their defense, the perfect game for all of that was already in existence... and who thought that'd end any time soon?
 :(
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

Surelle

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
Then again, in their defense, the perfect game for all of that was already in existence... and who thought that'd end any time soon?
 :(

Realistically, though, I don't think it's that they avoided copying CoH because it was around; I think they instead focused on copying Diablo III because it's the best-selling PC game ever.

Even Diablo III looks to have a lot more to it than this thing, though.  Ick.  I'm kind of glad this whole Disney thing didn't pan out.  Their games aren't knocking me dead.  I think CoH has way too much to it to fit in there.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 10:00:16 PM »
I think they instead focused on copying Diablo III because it's the best-selling PC game ever.

When will people learn that copying the best selling game will at best make you a third rate game?

Ugh.
Woo! - Argent Girl

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »
Hmmm.  This is not a favorable review - and it's a fairly long and detailed unfavorable review of their new superhero game.  Hey, Disney, I have an idea on how to fix this situation for you... :)

This forum really needs the typical facebook like button :D.

Well, I read about it, I saw pics about it, I forgot the so called mmorpg of marvel ;).

Anything else to say?
Guess not :)
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 01:13:37 AM »
With all the talk of the Marvel litigation, is anyone else suspicious about the timing of the CoH closure?
[/conspiracy mode]
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 02:19:39 AM »
This game is aimed more at the DCUO crowd than the MMO crowd.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 03:22:42 AM »
This game is aimed more at the DCUO crowd than the MMO crowd.

And that's not saying much.  :P

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
Hmmm.  This is not a favorable review - and it's a fairly long and detailed unfavorable review of their new superhero game.  Hey, Disney, I have an idea on how to fix this situation for you... :)
THIS! ;D

When I first got wind of this game I was intrigued by it.  I had no problem with it being Diablo III style; that would be an interesting change for an MMO.

But then they mentioned that you choose from a list of the known Marvel characters, and they explicitly stated that you do not create your own character.

Yeah.... /ignore.
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

LadyWizard

• Minion
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 04:18:35 AM »
Realistically, though, I don't think it's that they avoided copying CoH because it was around; I think they instead focused on copying Diablo III because it's the best-selling PC game ever.

Even Diablo III looks to have a lot more to it than this thing, though.  Ick.  I'm kind of glad this whole Disney thing didn't pan out.  Their games aren't knocking me dead.  I think CoH has way too much to it to fit in there.

You do realize the guy doing this was THE lead on Diablo one and two?  He and blizzard could no long come eye to eye so he left when they used HIS engine for 3

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 05:07:28 AM »
I'm kind of glad this whole Disney thing didn't pan out.  Their games aren't knocking me dead.  I think CoH has way too much to it to fit in there.

Realistically, the Disney thing is just barely off the starting blocks.  I have said MANY times we don't expect to hear ANYTHING out of them until, at MINIMUM, the first week in January.

I realize people want instant answers and instant gratification, but this is like looking at a fertile chicken egg for a week, saying, "naw, not gonna hatch," and pulling it out of the incubator.
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido

Electric-Knight

• Elite Boss
  • E-K and Malfaz taking a break, drinking tea
    • www.pauldamonthomas.com
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 07:41:45 AM »
So... this whole expansion of the sun thing... it's never gonna happen, is it...  ;D
--
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
- Baron Munchausen

http://www.pauldamonthomas.com/

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 07:54:20 AM »
i definitely dont see that game flying with the mmo crowd, purely random stats regardless of what character your using is an awful thing, because you could theoretically just keep rolling characters until you get uber lucky and get one with all max stats starting

no way i would try this, and if the game flops because its unpopular due to the mechanics thats when you blame the devs for poor design

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 08:09:54 AM »
no way i would try this, and if the game flops because its unpopular due to the mechanics thats when you blame the devs for poor design
You say that like it's a bad thing.   :)

The worse it is, the better for us.  Seriously, the more I read about this game, the better we look by comparison.

NecrotechMaster

• Elite Boss
  • is there a badge for that?
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 03:48:44 PM »
You say that like it's a bad thing.   :)

The worse it is, the better for us.  Seriously, the more I read about this game, the better we look by comparison.

oh i totally agree, the villain in me is rubbing hands menacingly plotting lol