Author Topic: Livestream Q&A with Matt 'Positron' Miller  (Read 14315 times)

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
Re: Livestream Q&A with Matt 'Positron' Miller
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
Doesn't The Secret World also require a purchase to play even as a freebie?
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 10:24:20 PM »
Doesn't The Secret World also require a purchase to play even as a freebie?

Yes. I don't think they implemented their model to bathe entirely in the F2P model, but instead to stop the bleeding. I think too many of their players were quitting the game and not returning. I think their message seemed to be constructed in a way to convince players to return more than to convince players to try out the game.

Things like "if you tried the game at launch, we have changed a lot" seemed to be core themes of their promotion.

I just upgraded my PC, and steam has a small sale on the game. I may give it a try... I always liked dark games and dark horror themed zones where always my favorite in CoH.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 11:38:30 PM »
Oh the interviewer just asked for a delay NO POSITRON today due to feeling under the weather. :(

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 11:48:58 PM »
Oh the interviewer just asked for a delay NO POSITRON today due to feeling under the weather. :(

Just 1 day and 1 hour ;).
So tomorrow at 07:30PM EST.

http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/read/26383/Livestream-QA-Postponed.html
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2012, 12:43:30 AM »
"Why is this Livestream happening? Did I miss something? Is CoX coming back?"

If only.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2012, 01:17:24 PM »
You are right to a point, the point where you say it's not about "tricking them into paying a subscription". The entire model IS about incentivizing the player to give  you money. It just has to be done in a way where the player does not feel forced to do so, just heavily encouraged.

The devs still took very seriously the ideal of SO balance, in fact, I think they took it even stronger after the game went F2P than before. CoH DID a good job at encouraging you to subscribe while also not frustrating the Free4Ever players.

The biggest hurdle SWTOR will have is they still charge for the box. As far as addoption goes, you may as well build the Wall of China around your server and only allow in those that can buy a plane ticket.

No they don't. Not to play as free at least.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2012, 06:39:50 PM »
No they don't. Not to play as free at least.

That's what they said in the original announcement. If they dropped the box requirement by the time it went F2P, then it's a whole different matter (and I may actually give it a try then.)
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

Wyrm

• Stop Dragon My Heart Around
  • Boss
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2012, 07:38:58 PM »
That's what they said in the original announcement. If they dropped the box requirement by the time it went F2P, then it's a whole different matter (and I may actually give it a try then.)
I've never paid them a dime and have a level 16 Jedi.  They really do make it kinda suck for a freeb, tho.  Jedi jogging everywhere is ridiculous, and you have more useful powers than can fit in the single tray they give you by around level 12-14.

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »
I've never paid them a dime and have a level 16 Jedi.  They really do make it kinda suck for a freeb, tho.  Jedi jogging everywhere is ridiculous, and you have more useful powers than can fit in the single tray they give you by around level 12-14.

You can get 2 trays, but that's it. It guarantees you won't be competitive late game.

Frostyfrozen

• Boss
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »
Hitsteak is on the side chat bar as the pre show warm up. Yaaay Hitstreak!! :)

Surelle

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2012, 02:53:30 AM »
If that website does a written transcript, I'd like to see that.   I missed the first 16 minutes due to kidlet issues.   :-*

Sajaana

• Boss
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2012, 03:19:45 AM »
Did I not hear the interview correctly, or did Positron say that certain people in Paragon knew that NCSoft was thinking about closing down the game up to a year before?

If so, then this is the first time I heard of it.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2012, 03:43:09 AM »
Sajaana, I just watched it, and what they were talking about on the "year before" thing was planning for switching to the Free-to-Play model... Not many of the developers knew more than a few weeks in advance that they might shut down (at least that's what I understood). Many of them were just as surprised as we were (including Positron, apparently--he mentioned at the very beginning of the interview that he had no idea why they did it).
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2012, 03:45:20 AM »
Yeah in a previous interview, Matt and Melissa both said only a few people caught wind the night before, but for the most part no one knew.

Also hearing a few things Matt said did make me sad. He pretty much said the likelihood of a brand new team being able to work on CoH is nearly impossible, they wouldn't know how to do anything. Still! If the IP is sold, no reason we can't get i24 in maintenance mode while they make CoH2. :3

TonyV

• Titan Staff
  • Elite Boss
    • Paragon Wiki
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2012, 04:11:17 AM »
Quote from: Matt Miller
"We've had discussions, the designers, the programmers and I, you know, who've all found other jobs, and they're like, 'Could you imagine what would happen if [the Save CoH people] actually did succeed in getting City of Heroes back? Can you imagine them looking through our code trying to figure out just exactly how we made this game work?' and everyone is like, 'That could never happen. They'd be lost, because we were lucky to have some developers on there--myself, Melissa Bianco, Vince D'Amelio--who had been there since launch and could help reverse engineer a problems that we came up with.'"

Give us a copy of the code, and...

;)

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2012, 04:28:24 AM »
There's also the fact Matt and Melissa, so far as I know, don't have jobs... and could still help us. ^_^

Cinnder

• Boss
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2012, 05:16:57 AM »
Sorry if this has alerady been answered and I missed it, but is there a transcript available?  I can't see any such link on the site.

Quinch

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2012, 05:25:05 AM »
No transcripts, but there's a copy of the video?

http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom/b/350045268

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
There's also the fact Matt and Melissa, so far as I know, don't have jobs... and could still help us. ^_^

Yeah but only between jobs if then. We can't ask them to do stuff as a charity after all. Best they could do is give Tony's team notes.