Author Topic: Livestream Q&A with Matt 'Positron' Miller  (Read 14310 times)

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
Re: Livestream Q&A with Matt 'Positron' Miller
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »
All this talk of coding is making me frustrated that I keep running into brick walls whenever I try to learn. Stop trying to motivate me to pick up a new skill, writing is tricky enough!
Woo! - Argent Girl

Surelle

« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2012, 03:48:58 AM »
All this talk of coding is making me frustrated that I keep running into brick walls whenever I try to learn. Stop trying to motivate me to pick up a new skill, writing is tricky enough!

Here, try downloading the free trial of RPGMaker then!  http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

It's only 2D, but there is no programming required.  I think the engine is based on Ruby, but it seems like a "Scratch on steroids" type program with a lot more customization options than Scratch.

They actually have a "buy one, get one free" special going on the boxed copies through the end of December, and they'll send you an $11 off coupon a couple days after you download the trial besides (I think the write-in code for the $11 off is "throw that ace down" or something like that).

Both my kids are really into programming languages, but I haven't the patience for it.  Still, I have this tiny idea that I originally wanted to make in the Neverwinter Nights toolset for a mini-game about the story of the real Saint Nicholas.  I'm going to try this RPGMaker program, and I figure if I work on it here and there all year, it might be ready by next Christmas time.   ;D

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2012, 04:41:16 AM »
Here, try downloading the free trial of RPGMaker then!  http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/

It's only 2D, but there is no programming required.  I think the engine is based on Ruby, but it seems like a "Scratch on steroids" type program with a lot more customization options than Scratch.

They actually have a "buy one, get one free" special going on the boxed copies through the end of December, and they'll send you an $11 off coupon a couple days after you download the trial besides (I think the write-in code for the $11 off is "throw that ace down" or something like that).

Both my kids are really into programming languages, but I haven't the patience for it.  Still, I have this tiny idea that I originally wanted to make in the Neverwinter Nights toolset for a mini-game about the story of the real Saint Nicholas.  I'm going to try this RPGMaker program, and I figure if I work on it here and there all year, it might be ready by next Christmas time.   ;D

Uhm...just a year? As a single person? I know projects wich worked over 6 years on their end....with full teams ;). This is what it takes if you make everything custom. I own the RPGMaker VXAce and I just took a look into it. It is nothing where you get just started and also fast getting finished. The whole scripting stuff, if done correctly, will take you busy for ages ;). Actually every little bit not build in stuff will take ages Oo. It's pretty simple a learning by doing tool. You made your first game -> YAY I got knowledge to make a bigger game with more of this and that.
In the end you'll find yourself in a dark room composing some midi samples :D <- That's where I had enough^^.
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2012, 04:59:50 AM »
http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

There's a nice link to learn coding basics, too.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2012, 05:08:34 AM »

Man! I'd forgotten about the NWN tookit! Now I want to see if I can recreate the adventure that Leonard ran on last week's Big Bang Theory! :)
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2012, 12:00:31 AM »
I was able to catch the last half of this, very cool that they played my Last ITF Ever video throughout the whole thing. :)

I thought that was awesome and very appropriate.   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2012, 01:35:26 AM »
If you're running into brick walls, try walking - slowly. ;)
Most of the time the wall is there either because you overlooked the right solution or you're jumping in trying to create an overtly ambitious project. Start small, build your familiarity with the language and expand it as needed. You can always try asking for help here, if you need it. :)
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

Mister Bison

• Elite Boss
  • *psychotic grin*
« Reply #67 on: December 26, 2012, 09:01:04 AM »
If you're running into brick walls, try walking - slowly. ;)
Most of the time the wall is there either because you overlooked the right solution or you're jumping in trying to create an overtly ambitious project. Start small, build your familiarity with the language and expand it as needed. You can always try asking for help here, if you need it. :)
Another approach, is to "lurk moar". Look at open sources programs, and if possible, well-commented ones. If you can't learn the strings to make ropes, maybe imitating and assembling others' ropes will help you.
Yeeessss....

Hyperstrike

• Elite Boss
  • SaveCoH!
    • So Super It Hurts
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2012, 10:49:35 AM »
Hey it could have been written in Assembler by the American Airlines reservation systems programmers.  With undocumented on-the-fly patches.

Woman.  You have a dirty mind...    >:(

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2012, 06:19:03 PM »

Programming is a lot  more fun when you see inmediate AND impressive results.

Tip: grab a free copy of Unity and start coding some 3D coolness stuf very easily. It will be a lot more fun than learning with boring command prompt text output.

Just... stay clear of the language they call "JavaScript" and stick to C#, use any online C# reference to guide you through.
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

mikoroshi

• Boss
  • Author, Owner of Dogs
    • My Twitter
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2012, 01:36:29 AM »
Programming is a lot  more fun when you see inmediate AND impressive results.

Tip: grab a free copy of Unity and start coding some 3D coolness stuf very easily. It will be a lot more fun than learning with boring command prompt text output.

Just... stay clear of the language they call "JavaScript" and stick to C#, use any online C# reference to guide you through.

My experience has shown most tutorials are written in Javascript for Unity :\
If you see me posting here, you need to tell me to stop it and get back to writing.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2012, 01:43:43 AM »
My experience has shown most tutorials are written in Javascript for Unity :\

Most documentation in their site is in both languages, although they default show "Javascript." Btw, it's not actually javascript, not even javascript-like, its closer to Flash's Action Script from all I hear and internally referred to as UnityScript.

It tends to be best to start with C# because it's better, a bit more industry standard, and you get documentation for the raw language and .net frameworks from Microsoft (you don't get that for "JavaScript".)

Also this "JavaScript" does a lot of shortcuts and allows for a lot of bad practices that should be avoided. I made my first game in that language and saw myself being forced to port everything to C# later as I attempted to incorporate certain functionality and increase performance.

It IS a shame most their sample projects are actually available only in "JavaScript", though...
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2012, 02:21:13 AM »
Hey it could have been written in Assembler by the American Airlines reservation systems programmers.  With undocumented on-the-fly patches.

Tangent:  I really REALLY miss Eaasy SABRE...

Victoria Victrix

• Team Wildcard
  • Elite Boss
  • If you don't try, you have failed.
    • Mercedes Lackey
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2012, 02:58:53 AM »
Tangent:  I really REALLY miss Eaasy SABRE...

*head explodes*
I will go down with this ship.  I won't put my hands up in surrender.  There will be no white flag above my door.  I'm in love, and always will be.  Dido