Author Topic: Amazon reviews for GW2.... bear with me here  (Read 37165 times)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
Amazon reviews for GW2.... bear with me here
« on: December 19, 2012, 03:32:32 PM »
Everyone who has an account with Amazon, please pull up GW2 there and vote up the reviews that mention recent NCSoft business practices, as "useful" reviews. A lot of people are reviewing the game and mentioning the unstability of NCSoft's actions in thier reviews, and these are being voted down as "not useful" reviews by diehard GW2 fans. There are several - nay, many - insightful reviews mentioning what's happened to CoX. This issue is a thing other gamers need to know about.

Those reviews need to stay near the top, so that they can be seen by potential NCSoft customers. At least, to me this would be a good idea. Amazon is a big and influential site. To say the least.

I am not advocating a rampage of negative Gw2 reviews out of spite, I just want what happened to be very visible to potential NCSoft customers.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
Re: Amazon reviews for GW2.... bear with me here
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:51:37 PM »
Logging in is not required.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 04:54:54 PM »
Strange, because when I vote anything up or down they make me log in. This isn't a new thing, either, they've always made me do it.

Regardless, people considering GW2 still need to know how this company treats its playerbases.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
I've only seen a couple that reference NCSoft (one of them actually said NCSoft had transferred Anet to Nexon) as a drawback. Mostly, it's "the game was great, but the last update completely changed it into a grind-fest!"

What does up-rating and down-rating do? At about ten pages in, I still hadn't even figured out how the reviews were sorted.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

Ceremonius

• Lieutenant
  • Here we are now! Entertain us! ~Nirvana
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:14:37 PM »
Some of these reviews seems like bought reviews.
Actually a quite common solution to raise selling numbers. And due the fact we have pretty corrupted publisher (in my sight) it seems possible.

Btw. most of the people I know already stopped playing GW 2. It's a grindfest as far I heard O.o
No Guts, No Glory! No Pain, No Gain!
One for all, all for one; Riders on the range!
No Guts, No Glory! We're taking a stand!
Ready to prove it again!
~Galaxy Rangers

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »
There were a few that looked like the praise was a little too "formula," but a couple of the really long, categorized ones look like the kind of thing you'd see from one of those guys who shows up every Thursday at the game store to play Warhammer, regardless of interest, weather, or if the store is even open. :)

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 06:33:57 PM »
Very mature people.  I disapprove what NCSoft did to us but I'm not willing to take it out on another studio's product simply because they too are part of NCSoft.
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:40:17 PM »
Very mature people.  I disapprove what NCSoft did to us but I'm not willing to take it out on another studio's product simply because they too are part of NCSoft.

QFT. This getting silly.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 06:45:51 PM »

Yeah I'm all for the saveCOH movement and hope that tactic that is being done on the other websites gets the results of what ever the goal is, but I too just cannon partake in taking it out on another studio's product because of their NCSoft affiliation. I'm sure the players love their game as much as we did and would feel bad that if I did partake in those type of actions and something bad happens to their game. I would feel that would make me just as bad if not worse than NCSoft.

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 06:46:50 PM »

Yea, very mature... how dare anyone attempt to communicate NCSoft's track record to future customers of said company! That's just childish...  :o

For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
Yea, very mature... how dare anyone attempt to communicate NCSoft's track record to future customers of said company! That's just childish...  :o

Oh nothing wrong with that at all. I just dont get the method especially for example Amazon where the reviews is supposed to be for Guild Wars 2 not NCSoft. By all means, if people it is right thing to do, I say go for it. No judgement here.  I just cant do it. I wouldnt want someone to do it and give one stars to COX because Tabula Rasa was closed down and because it was a NCSoft product so I cant rbing myself to do it to another game, NCSoft or not. Now if it was an NCSoft review, oh hell yeah I'd let it fly with no remorse. But giving a game a bad review or downing a game just because it was made by NCSoft and not by the game's own merits, it just something I cant personally do. Personal choice for me.

The main point-If it feels like the right thing to do, go ahead, not a single shred of negative judgement from my view but I cannot partake or support it.

Kind of like I dont support going door to door in the morning waking people out of their sleep to talk about religion but hey, they feel like it's the right thing to do and they have an audience so no ill feeling towards them even when they wake me out of my sleep talking about something I have no interest in. I listen to what they have to say and go about my day, but I would never go out myself and do it.

corvus1970

• Elite Boss
  • A true ruler is as moral as a Hurricane.
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2012, 07:04:58 PM »
There were a few that looked like the praise was a little too "formula," but a couple of the really long, categorized ones look like the kind of thing you'd see from one of those guys who shows up every Thursday at the game store to play Warhammer, regardless of interest, weather, or if the store is even open. :)
LOL! *thumbs-up*

Now, I have no issues with bringing up NCSoft and their crappy track-record, but honestly, Amazon reviews are intended to be reviews of the product itself. A lot of people violate that by sometimes posting a bad review and then talking about their bad 3rd party seller experience, and that's not what that's for.

As such, I don't think I can participate in the "voting-up" of reviews that focus on NCSoft and not the product itself.
... ^o^CORVUS^o^
"...if nothing we do matters, than all that matters is what we do."
http://corvus1970.deviantart.com/

Starsman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 07:09:26 PM »
For the sake of the community: please stop the cultural "research" in your attempt to put blame on the game's cancelation.

It's sickening to see the community sink that low. It's worse to see the community does not get it.

I'm signing off and taking a break, blindly hope things change.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »
And that was only in a couple of reviews that I saw. The vast majority of the one star reviews were grind-fest complaints. There were even a few that were three stars which said that they would have been higher had the game not switch to the grind-fest format.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 07:22:01 PM »
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 07:31:45 PM by JaguarX »

Blackbird71

• Minion
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 08:24:09 PM »
LOL! *thumbs-up*

Now, I have no issues with bringing up NCSoft and their crappy track-record, but honestly, Amazon reviews are intended to be reviews of the product itself. A lot of people violate that by sometimes posting a bad review and then talking about their bad 3rd party seller experience, and that's not what that's for.

As such, I don't think I can participate in the "voting-up" of reviews that focus on NCSoft and not the product itself.

Especially when talking about an online game which will require you to have a continuing relationship with the publisher, I think that the publisher and their business practices are part and parcel of the product.  You can't have one without the other, so including legitimate information about one in a review of the other should be perfectly valid.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 08:32:46 PM »
Especially when talking about an online game which will require you to have a continuing relationship with the publisher, I think that the publisher and their business practices are part and parcel of the product.  You can't have one without the other, so including legitimate information about one in a review of the other should be perfectly valid.

It makes sense when I thought of it like cable and a cable provider.

It's like reviewing cable service it and saying, "yeah the channel selection was excellent and excellent picture, immediate service when upgrading but the company ripped me off three months in a row and hour long hold times regardless of time of day to get the problem fixed so I give them 2 stars out of ten." Even thought the product provided was good, still it get bad review because of the actions of the billing section the provider even though the sells department did good job. But as a whole experience, the billing section shoddy work killed the joy of the rest of the good things.

It makes more sense to me in that light.

Little Green Frog

• Boss
  • @Little Green Frog
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »

Spreading the information about the way NCsoft treats its games in reviews is fine. It's the call to artificially position reviews mentioning the topic that is crossing the line. Also the accusation of downvoters to be "diehard GW2 fans" - a claim that is most likely unfounded. And the fact that some of those "reviews" don't even mention reviewed game. To be blunt: it's borderline unicorning people that are looking for honest opinions.

silvers1

• Boss
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 09:01:40 PM »
Well, I reviewed it based on the game itself and not on CoH.
3 stars overall.  The game doesnt impress me and i quit playing after maxing one character.
--- Hercules - Freedom Server ---

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 11:10:24 PM »
Personally, I am of the opinion that you can't serve two masters.
Can you be pro-GW2 and anti-NCSoft? It's possible, I guess. You may have already bought the game when the announcement came out about the CoH closure. However, if I were one of those folks, I'd be far less inclined to spend time developing my characters knowing there's nothing to stop NCSoft from pulling the plug on that game as well. "Those who ignore history are destined to repeat it." (I think Marcus Aurelius gets credit for that quote.) The up-vote of product opinions that reveal to a potential buyer the truth about NCSoft is not a morally questionable action. It's a moral imperative to those who feel that they would have wanted to know this information before they bought GW2.
 Myself, I would want to know this information before I bought GW2, so I have no qualms whatsoever about finding the review "helpful". Quite the contrary. To use the aforementioned goat/rope analogy, I'm very concerned about any rope that holds my goat.

Have a nice day.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese