Author Topic: Firefall  (Read 8368 times)

Lydiastar

• Minion
  • @Syntaxically on twitter
Firefall
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:39:12 PM »
I bought the 20$ founder's pack to get into the beta for Firefall. That said, the game is clearly in BETA. Stuff changes, the whole game isn't there... but I've been having fun with it.

People seem to be impressed by the cell shading. It's nice, but after COH, cell shading really looks juvenile.

Also, it's an FPS, but it's been fun. The weird thing is you only have one character, but you can have multiple "battle frames", i.e. classes. You switch into a battle frame and spend your XP to buy upgrades, and can craft better ammo, ability stuff etc once you get into a tier 2 battle suit. Eventually the goals is to have like 5 tiers of battle suits. As is there are only 2, with tier one having 1 suit and tier 2 having two.  Oh yeah, and you gain XP within your battle frame and the XP doesn't transfer to other battle frames but other resources in the game are on you, not your suit.

http://firefall.wikia.com/wiki/Battleframes

So far I have tried
Assault Tier 1 (splash damage)
Assault Tier 2 (Firecat)
Biotech Tier 1 (focus on healing, but with poison gas)
Biotech Tier 2 (Reckluse frame)
Engineeer Tier 1 (turrets)

It's worth the 20$ to try it out if you're interested. I'm on intermittently and will be off for awhile with the holidays, but feel free to friend me.
Username: Evianna

Pics and stuff on Google Drive
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B8zh5hnJiN05RU1qM0pIUjBwTEE/edit

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
Re: Firefall
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:28:48 AM »
I got the mega founders pack at PAX this year, I love it and really want to see it succeed. It's really weird tho cos I don't like shooters! and I like this one! Can't wait for even more PVE stuff, the PVP stuff is already pretty good!
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 06:01:11 PM »
I've had Beta access for a few months now but have not played it for a while.  I initially got into it for the "Starship Troopers" kind of feel fighting hordes of bugs.  That gets a little old after a while and I'm not a fan of the "Errybody's got jetpacks!" PVP.   

That said, since I last played there have been some pretty huge changes and I'll be sure to check them out.  I want them to succeed and make a solid game.

For those that are interested in this I have 5 Beta Invites.  Post here and then PM me your email address and I will get you the invite.  If you want to get in with a friend feel free to ask for 2, but you will have to give me 2 email addresses.  The invite system is members inputting the email addresses of friends and those friends receiving codes via email.

Lydiastar

• Minion
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »
It's really weird tho cos I don't like shooters! and I like this one! Can't wait for even more PVE stuff, the PVP stuff is already pretty good!

Agree, and agree!

Lydiastar

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:57:32 PM »
The jetpacks thing is cute, but honestly I'd rather have combat jumping and super jump.

Omni-Nogard

• Underling
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:59:17 AM »
I'm re-downloading FireFall as i type this.

I played in it's beta over a year ago and kinda liked it, hard to fully say since my old PC was a hunk of Junk so i'm giving it a try once it's done downloading and been reading that they did a lot of updates since i last played (like the add of Biotech Frame) so it will be a fresh start for me. Funny how i forgot about Firefall for a while when news of it slowed down a little and i had to uninstall so i could try other games.

Ever since i got my new PC and learning the world of PC Gaming is still kinda shocking to me, CoH was one of the few games that would work on my old PC but i never got to see any of the ultra mode settings in my game play. Having been mostly RTS games for PC (Command and Conquer and Supreme Commander: FA) and CoH and CO(no plans to redownload that) for PC and now being able to play most games with no problem is a eye opener. (Old PC played a lot of current Gen PC Games at the lowest settings at 5-10 FPS if i was lucky and now playing Planetside 2 with no lag at full settings is odd to me.)

Also it seems i got 5 Beta keys for Firefall, not sure how to send those out will do research on that.

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »

Adelante

• Boss
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 05:52:21 AM »
My problem with Firefall is that all those things you do in the first couple hours of the game are pretty much all you will be doing for the duration fo the game.  It got way too boring for me, way too quickly.  I would also suggest others give it a try, your opinion may differ from mine and the developers have shown that they are willing to listen to their customers regarding changes and features.

If you can't wait a few days, I think I still have 4 invites left.

Exxar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »
Tried it out yesterday, the game hardly seems to have any PvE content in it at this point. And there doesn't seem to be any guide/tutorial on what to do once you exit the training instance and enter the open world. I was left to my own devices and just went into the wilderness in a random direction, expecting mobs, but there weren't any. Called down a thumper at a random spot, camped near it, a few bugs came but nothing serious, was pretty boring since I'd dispatch them in a couple seconds and spend 90% of the time just standing there while the thumper filled up. After that I stumbled upon what seemed like a cave with some ruined research station or something that had some bugs in it but there was nothing there I could interact with so I left. The highlight of the day was some kind of a chosen invasion dynamic event, but other than that, the whole experience was quite dreary.

I like the concept of the game but in its current state it's worse than a grindy asian MMO. I mean EVE is more structured and does a better job of introducing you to the game at this point, so that tells you something... I really hope that this is a "beta" thing but I really don't see how they can be selling founder packs in its current state.

Turjan

• Elite Boss
  • You cannot kill a dream
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:51:35 AM »
I been tinkering with Firefall on and off since CoH closed. In a lot of ways, the feel of the game's world reminds me of Tabula Rasa - which is no bad thing, because I loved Tabula Rasa. It doesn't have the skill system of TR, and is heavily FPS biased, but that's cool because Firefall has never pretended to be anything other than a twitch-based FPS type shooter.

Sadly though, the last major game engine update Red5 did has made the game mostly unplayable for me. Not because the game changed, but because my PC hasn't. Whenever I run Firefall now, it tuts and informs me that "hardware detected is below minimum requirements". This in itself doesn't stop me from actually playing, but when I do, the gameplay gets hella choppy, especially if I'm involved with a team using a heavy squad thumper. All I get out of playing Firefall now is a headache :(

As and when I can afford to upgrade my rig, I'll be heading back to Firefall though, because while it may be short on actual content, it's undeniably a lot of fun to play, and what's not to like about jumping about with a jetpack blasting aliens? :)

ParagonKid

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 05:33:06 AM »
I've been having a lot of fun with the open beta. More fun than I've had in a MMO for a while. The sheer number of enemies in engagements reminds me of the ITF in a good way. So far, there also feels to be real progression in gear. You get more powerful, the enemies get weaker, and you can handle numbers of them more easily. Unlike other games where the enemies keep pace and you never feel like you're getting more powerful*cough*Guild Wars 2*cough*.

The game has problems, though. It's very 'bare bones' at the moment. There's not a lot of content or varied things to do. It's very grindy and resource focused. The world isn't that expansive yet, and at the same time getting around is a chore(which is criminal in a game with jet packs), especially when you're trying to reach a world event before it ends.

But it's packed with potential, the developers seem like good people and I haven't spent a dime on the game, so how can I complain?

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 07:35:06 PM »

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2013, 10:10:12 AM »
Shame about this as I was looking forward to giving it a go.

I tried to install and got this error.

Raised a case with their support...

Response 1: We've fixed it (they hadn't done squat)
Response 2: Re-download & try again. If that doesn't work, try Google!!!

After failing with Response 2 I gave up. In fairness, I did get another email apologising about the treatment a week later and an offer to "work with me" to get it going, but by then I'd found something else to play. I'm also wary of this kind of "customer care".

-H

Ellscry

• Minion
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »
Raised a case with their support...

Response 1: We've fixed it (they hadn't done squat)
Response 2: Re-download & try again. If that doesn't work, try Google!!!

After failing with Response 2 I gave up. In fairness, I did get another email apologising about the treatment a week later and an offer to "work with me" to get it going, but by then I'd found something else to play. I'm also wary of this kind of "customer care".

-H

I think that if I had had that kind of issue I would be feeling the same way. It astounds me because all my support issues have been handled with utmost professionalism. But c'est la vie.

LydiaFrost

• Minion
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
you could download the net framework 4.5 full from microsoft and the windows installer.
There is probably some control in the main window, that throws this error.
Eventually ist an IE Control to display some web content.

Thats just a guess.

Lydia Frost MM

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »
Thanks for the "suggest" Lydia, but no dice. On the plus side, I'm up to 4.5 now :)

-H

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 05:43:35 AM »
I'll use a bit of thread necromancy on this one rather than making a new thread.

Just pointing out it's now in early access for anyone that had a beta account and includes a steam client. I belive returning beta users get a vanity pet and some free VIP time (gives extra XP/currencies). Actual release date is 29th of July

The game has changed A LOT since the early days of beta. I personally prefer the current version. Been getting a lot of positive reviews on the various mmo/f2p websites since early access began

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »
Did they do anything with crafting...? I think I got it to work when I did a PC rebuild due to a crash but found the crafting system hopelessly confusing. May give it another go when it lands on Steam.

DBadger

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »
The 'veterans' are moaning about the 'dumbed down' crafting system. i thought it was pretty good now tbh, though as with any game its a big resource sink. They took away a lot of tiers of materials though so it is a lot more straightforward. (levelling is also pretty much traditional MMO style as well now, not the way it was in the early beta at all (which I hated)

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 07:14:12 PM »
I came back after a year and a half or maybe more off. It's like a different game entirely set in the same universe/lore! It has a tutorial! It doesn't say "do this" and then leave you standing there with your thumb up your butt cos you don't know what "this" is, nor do you know where to do it! OMG. I am amazed. :p
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal