Author Topic: Call to Action: Celebrating the 9th Anniversary  (Read 28323 times)

Maressa

• Boss
Call to Action: Celebrating the 9th Anniversary
« on: April 24, 2013, 01:30:22 PM »
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:56:15 PM by TonyV »

Quinch

Re: Celebrating the 9th Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 01:33:51 PM »
I'm sold.

SeaLily

• Lieutenant
  • green hair
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 01:57:01 PM »
You may want to rethink your hashtag, it's pretty close to the #1reasonwhy tag that's being used to rally against sexism in the games industry in general- being seen as a riff off of that, even unintentionally, would come across in poor taste.

Otherwise this seems like a reasonable thing to try and get rolling for the anniversary.
green hair

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 02:06:59 PM »
I love this.

You may have just talked me into getting a Tweeter account.

Rain Maker

• Minion
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 03:53:48 PM »
Yup, count me in.

Nilbog

• Minion
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
This is cool. I would like to a chance to celebrate CoX rather than mourn it's passing.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 06:07:49 PM »
You may want to rethink your hashtag, it's pretty close to the #1reasonwhy tag that's being used to rally against sexism in the games industry in general- being seen as a riff off of that, even unintentionally, would come across in poor taste.

Otherwise this seems like a reasonable thing to try and get rolling for the anniversary.

Thanks for pointing this out.
I talked to a few people after I read this and feelings on it seemed to be a bit mixed. Some of them agreed with you while others could see where you were coming from but ultimately didn't think it would be a problem. I tend towards the second myself.
Even if we did get confused for the #1reasonwhy campaign I don't think it would really be a bad thing. They're all about promoting a gaming community that includes everyone, no matter their gender, race, or sexual orientation. And the City of Heroes community is the perfect example of that community.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
Re: Call to Action: Celebrating the 9th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »
Time to open a twitter account! Fantastic idea! Definitely in!

/em holdtorch

Cendwar

• Underling
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 06:33:02 PM »
I'm on board as well!
Champion Server: Cendwar Dark/EM Tank - Vehement Ragefire SS/FA Brute - Desolation Within Spines/FA Scrapper - General Hoffman AR/Traps Blaster - Thoughtfire Plague FC/PA Dominator - Bash 'n Slash BS/SD Scrapper - Dream Slave - BA/EA Brute

Perfidus

• Elite Boss
  • "I, ah.. understand."
    • My arts.
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 08:10:08 PM »
I'm in. I made a twitter just for things like this.

Quelkaima

• Underling
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 03:51:53 AM »
Even if we did get confused for the #1reasonwhy campaign I don't think it would really be a bad thing.

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean, really. It's not that I'm trying to be obtuse, but we are a video game community built by a deceased title that we're trying to get back online that, admittedly, sounds a bit whiny at times. Confusing us with the much bigger problem of sexism within the games industry isn't a good thing.

Instead, how about #9YearsOf or something like that?

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 04:47:46 AM »
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean, really. It's not that I'm trying to be obtuse, but we are a video game community built by a deceased title that we're trying to get back online that, admittedly, sounds a bit whiny at times. Confusing us with the much bigger problem of sexism within the games industry isn't a good thing.

Instead, how about #9YearsOf or something like that?
9Reasons can only be confused with 1ReasonWhy by stupid people. (The number AND the letters are different.)

Granted, there are a ton of stupid people out there. :p
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Harlequin565

• Lieutenant
    • Shuttercount - A Photography site...
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
I'm in too. Can someone please explain to a Twitter-noob exactly how we go about doing this? In simple terms :)

i.e. "On Friday, click on the X on your twitter page and type stuff then press enter"

Sorry if this is stupid but I have never used Twitter before.

-H

Tanklet

• Boss
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 10:20:59 AM »
I'm in too. Can someone please explain to a Twitter-noob exactly how we go about doing this? In simple terms :)

i.e. "On Friday, click on the X on your twitter page and type stuff then press enter"

Sorry if this is stupid but I have never used Twitter before.

-H

Twitter is like internet text messaging. You have 140 character (or so) limit.
Hash tags (#) are searchable things. So in the top search box, let's say you type in #SaveCoH you'll see everyone who ever used that hash tag.
You have a Tweet box (top left I believe) - It'll say Tweet. And that's where you type. Don't forget the hash tag. Make it short & sweet because hash tags also count towards your character limit.

eabrace

• Titan Moderator
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2013, 10:30:13 AM »
Make it short & sweet because hash tags also count towards your character limit.

And (not that you'll need it for these tweets, but) if you type in a link, no matter how long the actual address you enter is, Twitter will shorten it to 20 characters.
Titan Twitter broadcasting at 5.000 mWh and growing.
Titan Facebook

Paragon Wiki admin
I was once being interviewed by Barbara Walters...In between two of the segments she asked me..."But what would you do if the doctor gave you only six months to live?" I said, "Type faster." - Isaac Asimov

Quelkaima

• Underling
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 10:17:49 PM »

Which is exactly why I don't want them to even remotely resemble each other.

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 08:07:14 AM »
Today is the day it all begins! Today is all about ways CoH was an innovator in the industry. If you're stuck for a few ideas I know OnRPG has an article on it http://www.onrpg.com/articles/metas-verse-city-of-heroes-innovations/ Massively also did an article on it, I think. But I couldn't tell you for certain. Can't wait to see everyone on Twitter!

Osborn

• Boss
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »
9Reasons can only be confused with 1ReasonWhy by stupid people. (The number AND the letters are different.)

Or people looking to be upset. I mean, I'm a giant fan for social justice and stuff, but the only way I could see being offended by them being similar is if the Save CoH movement was actively promoting sexism. But there's people that will get upset at anything.

That said #SaveCoH is a toooon more noticeable and it's already very established, and will show up in searches a lot better, so it's probably the better solution even if you're not worried about hurting anybody's feelings.

therain93

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
#9reasons also turns out to be the name of a movie that has/had some twitter marketing. Ah well ( ' :
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:16:51 PM by therain93 »
@Texarkana - March 5, 2004 - December 1, 2012 -- Imageshack |-| Youtube
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You don't know what it's like.... |-| Book One. Chapter one...

Maressa

• Boss
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 12:14:12 PM »
#9reasons also turns out to be the name of a movie, which happens to have about 16 tweets.  ah well ( ' ;

Yeah, I wasn't too worried about the movie I'd never heard of and barely had any tweets. :P