Author Topic: help! someone give me updates on COH emulator, server, something!  (Read 52713 times)

sawlight88

• Underling
hello everyone! after almost 7 years of playing COH, NCsoft dumped me aswell.

however i keep hearing of others who play a variety of different emulators or private servers(im not interested in the nitty gritty) and im wondering if anyone can give me a hand. if anyone can direct me to a link to one of these servers that would be awesome! ive hear the condition of some of these servers vary but any help would be nice!

i will be posting this on other threads too, i really want to experience COH again!

also if its not a problem, message me help because sometimes these forums get clogged!
Dr. Extraordinary.. Guardian, Controller lvl 50
Steel Statesman.. Protector, Tank lvl 50
Weather-Wizard.. Champion, Defender lvl 50

sawlight88

• Underling
help! someone give me updates on COH emulator, server, something!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:30:55 AM »

however i keep hearing of others who play a variety of different emulators or private servers(im not interested in the nitty gritty) and im wondering if anyone can give me a hand. if anyone can direct me to a link to one of these servers that would be awesome! ive hear the condition of some of these servers vary but any help would be nice, i dont have i23 updated but i do have a copy of COH and COV disks. can anyone help me??

i will be posting this on other threads too, i really want to experience COH again!

also if its not a problem, message me help because sometimes these forums get clogged!

sawlight88

• Underling
help! someone give me updates on COH emulator, server, something!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:39:05 AM »

however i keep hearing of others who play a variety of different emulators or private servers(im not interested in the nitty gritty) and im wondering if anyone can give me a hand. if anyone can direct me to a link to one of these servers that would be awesome! ive hear the condition of some of these servers vary but any help would be nice!

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
Re: help! someone give me updates on COH emulator, server, something!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:47:29 AM »
because sometimes these forums get clogged!

Especially when someone cross-posts the exact same message to 6 different boards......

sawlight88

• Underling
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 07:51:45 AM »
im just trying to get answers. cross posts will help me get answers because most of the discussions turn into different conversations. that quote is misrepresenting my intentions

a 'drag net' effect if you will. i know that kills the fish so please dont turn this into a rant and rave thread. i have the game discs and i23 on my Mac, can you help me?????

The Fifth Horseman

• Elite Boss
  • Outside known realities.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:26:31 AM »
however i keep hearing of others who play a variety of different emulators or private servers(im not interested in the nitty gritty) and im wondering if anyone can give me a hand. if anyone can direct me to a link to one of these servers that would be awesome! ive hear the condition of some of these servers vary but any help would be nice, i dont have i23 updated but i do have a copy of COH and COV disks. can anyone help me??
Whoever claims they can actually play COH on a private server right now is either trolling you or forgot to take his antipsychotics.
SEGS is the only currently "operational" server substitute. Operational, as in you can create a character, log in and even move around a bit. Movement i glitched. Characters are not retained. That is the extent of what SEGS achieves right now.

New City Of Heroes was an alleged emulator that turned out completely bogus.

Last, there are some mentions of a third replacement server, but what is known is that it is not finished and no further information will be released until it's done.

There is something that can take off the edge, though - Titan Icon. It's a client hack that allows you to create characters and visit the game maps (in contrast to SEGS, movement is not glitched). i23 or i24 (beta) client IS MANDATORY for Icon to work, however.

cross posts will help me get answers because most of the discussions turn into different conversations. that quote is misrepresenting my intentions
All cross-posts like that do is make you look like a spammer and annoy other users. Not the kind of first impression you should be going for at all.
We were heroes. We were villains. At the end of the world we all fought as one. It's what we did that defines us.
The end occurred pretty much as we predicted: all servers redlining until midnight... and then no servers to go around.

Somewhere beyond time and space, if you look hard you might find a flash of silver trailing crimson: a lone lost Spartan on his way home.

sawlight88

• Underling
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
yes i understand the etiquette of forums, its 4.30am i just want to know whats up with COH.

too much misinformation!

Mantic

• Boss
Is that you, Mr. Kim?

I don't know who you've been talking to, but there are no "others who play a variety of different emulators or private servers." There jest ain't no sech animal, and probably won't be for some time yet.  :'(

If you are desperate to access the game in any way, there is Icon. But you know this, since you already posted this in the thread abut it

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
  • Crime doesn't pay, evildoers!
    • CoH Faces Profile
CITY OF HEROES PROJECTS

SEGS
No idea what it means or stands for, but this is Nemerle's City of Heroes emulator under development, based on an earlier version of the game.
http://segs.nemerle.eu/forumz/index.php

ICON
This is Codewalker's project that allows you to create characters (with the updated Issue 24) and run or fly around the maps stored in your computer's local files. It isn't a server and you're not online, but you can do neat things like wear NPC costume parts, load up signature NPCs, and even your own characters (take a group screenshot shot of your roster!).
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,7288.0.html

The Community Server
There are plans and efforts underway to reverse-engineer City of Heroes, create a server that will run the latest version of the game client, and make it playable online again. This could take years. The people doing this haven't directly announced who they are or how much progress has been made, and if they know what's good for them (and us), they never will. (And trust me, I've bugged a lot of people, but if anyone knows anything, they're not talking.) I've done a lot of preaching about this subject. I think they should "release it into the wild" once its done, allowing many servers to pop up all at once all over the world in different countries. This will ensure that NCSoft can pay their legal department to play a game of whack-a-mole for years or even decades if they like, but using tools like Sentinel+, we can simply move our characters around.  :P
http://www.zombo.com/

PLAN Z PROJECTS
Spiritual successors

Heroes and Villains (Plan Z Studios)
This is being designed and developed from the ground up to be a very familiar game to City of Heroes, both in game play mechanics and themes. It's not a copy, but it is going to be the ultimate homage for those players (like me) who just want a place that feels like home. Online gaming sites that cover the MMORPG genre are showing a lot of interest in Heroes and Villains.
http://www.heroes-and-villains.com/
https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/board,164.0.html

The Phoenix Project (Missing Worlds Media)
This is being designed and developed as an evolution of the game and genre, both as a spiritual successor to City of Heroes and as an improvement on CoH's game play and themes. It might not feel like home, but for those players ready to move on to something new that still respects City of Heroes core principles of freedom and choice, this could be just the thing. The gaming press is showing a lot of interest in this project as well.
http://www.missingworldsmedia.com/
https://www.facebook.com/MissingWorldsMedia
http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php?action=collapse;c=19;sa=expand;b6052b0=9d1d323b60d39c79f870f9d115a374da#c19

Valiance Online (SilverHelm Studios)
This is the project with the least amount of information released on core gameplay mechanics or storyline themes, and it seems to be flying under the gaming press radar, but they've recently begun releasing a flurry of screenshots on their website and Facebook, showing off the fact that this team snagged a phenomenal character artist and modeler. If the animation and gameplay mechanics meets similar standards, this little-advertised project could end up being a big surprise for the community.
http://valiance.shogn.net/
https://www.facebook.com/ValianceOnline

Like 99 percent of forums out there, cross-posting is generally frowned upon because it breaks a conversation up, "clogs the forums up" and unnecessarily gives moderators more work to do.

You're more likely to be obliged here, but a lot of people (like me) will also expect you to check up on your own forum topic if you want to know how the conversation you started is going.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 11:39:38 AM by Captain Electric »

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
Unnamed Project (Captain Electric)
I have a drawer full of notes for the creation of an online super hero game utilizing collectible, digital trading cards that turn into animated characters and effects when deployed on story-based single-player or co-op campaign, PvP or co-op battle maps, in order to produce hero and villain units (and vehicles and traps, and so on) and enhancements that are persistent, upgradeable and tradeable between games, as well as buff, debuff and other temporary use cards that have cooldown properties. Each player would take command of an entire team of units, or an entire supergroup or villaingroup on the battlefield depending on the scope of the campaign mission or map (big outside map battles, smaller inside map missions, and customizable supergroup base raids, with a UGC component for mission creation and sharing), playing against NPCs and bosses, or against each others decks in 1v1, 2v2 (and so on if feasible). Most individual hero and villain cards/units would be premade like most trading-style games, but each player would also have the option to buy a "signature hero", a unit which leads their superteams into battle and is fully customizable using costume parts and archetypal powers. The types and diversity of hero/villain units and enhancements and effects inside decks would be balanced using origin-inspired concepts (single origin, dual, and so on) with increasing bonuses as well as penalties, with unbalanced "circus decks" possible outside of campaigns and ranked matches.

I've been stewing about this for four years. You likely won't hear anything about it while the community's project teams are stretched thin enough already. I would likely try to build this using the minimal team (one or two programmers, one or two artists, and a game balance expert with a brain like Tony Stark's). This would be extremely indie, extremely niche, but I think there's a group of people who would love it a lot.

No idea yet whether this would be TBS or RTS. The idea started out as a non-digital CCG/board game hybrid, but has since grown in scope. TBS would be easier to make and would be less of a budget risk. It would also be the closest thing to what I already have on paper, would run on more older computers, and I think campaigns and battles would have a more thoughtful feel. I don't know that I would want to reduce a game with so many deck-building and strategic options to a frantic RTS, or that a worthwhile RTS could be built by a small team.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 12:52:11 PM by Captain Electric »

Mantic

• Boss
Re: help! looking for COH emulator, server, something! Titan or Plan Z???
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »
Wow! Exhaustive summary... props for taking the time to compose all that.

SEGS
No idea what it means or stands for...

Superpowered Entity Game Server, I believe the acronym stood for. Called that since a C&D served years ago when the previous project was more directly identified as an emulator.

Sekoia

• Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 01:37:48 PM »
yes i understand the etiquette of forums, its 4.30am i just want to know whats up with COH.

It would be bad enough if you cross-posted across several forums because you didn't know any better. But then you blatantly announce that you did know better and did it anyway? You are not so special that you get to trample around our forums, disregarding etiquette, simply because you're impatient. Don't be a jerk.

Each of your cross postings have been either deleted or merged. Do not cross post again.

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 01:53:54 PM »
Sawlight if I had seen some of your replies above, I would not have helped you. Wow, you are a class A jerk.

Hopefully someone else gets some benefit from my compilation post above.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 03:31:00 PM »
One other thing about Valiance Online - it seems to be much further along than other Plan Z projects, because it was started by an existing game company (albeit a very, very small one) using existing material (they had already been working on a fantasy MMO; they're developing Valiance Online alongside it using many of the same assets).  It's still clearly in a very very early alpha stage, but you can actually log into the game, create a character, run around, and attack things.  (Three classes are minimally functional, with one or two powers each - Scrapper, Blaster, and Mastermind equivalents; the other classes are selectable but only have "Punch" as an attack)

(Of course, I'm not saying it's better or worse than the others, just that it's further along)

Captain Electric

• Elite Boss
    • CoH Faces Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 03:53:57 PM »
I'll install it and check it out next time I have a big chunk of free time. Golden Girl's earlier thread kind of made me wary of VO, but GG as well as TPP's later comments seem to have an "innocent until proven guilty" ring to them. Which is a good thing I hope, because it would be a shame if all the (really decent) art/modeling I'm seeing is just fueling a scam. (And personally, it didn't put a dent in my anticipation for Heroes and Villains, but I do think GG should get a community manager, stick to her strengths, and avoid the Emmertesque gaffes from now on. One of your biggest fans GG but this is my feedback.)

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 04:53:04 PM »
Cap, thank you for taking the time to collect and post this. I was  generally aware of the info, but it's nice to have it all in one spot, with cliff's notes on what each is. I was never particularly clear on what the difference between Phoenix and H&V was, merely that they were born of a schism in the project; so now I know that one is more closely an homage while the other is more tonally different but related.

and yes, ridilin addled script kiddies need not post at 4am. We all want there to be news, and news quick; but as my family says, "If wishes were horses, then beggers would ride."
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

MisterMagpie

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »
Thanks for the summary, Captain. I'm pretty happy with icon but it's nice to know what else is going on
I mean well, I swear.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 05:19:03 PM »
and yes, ridilin addled script kiddies need not post at 4am. We all want there to be news, and news quick; but as my family says, "If wishes were horses, then beggers would ride."

I like Jayne's version, from "Firefly": "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak." Makes no sense, of course, since steak is beef. But that's the fun of it.
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 06:03:58 PM »
I like Jayne's version, from "Firefly": "If wishes were horses, we'd all be eatin' steak." Makes no sense, of course, since steak is beef. But that's the fun of it.
well by definition, steak is actually a type of cut of meat. (There is fish steaks swrdfish steaks, shark steaks, salmon steaks even tuna steaks.) And horse have traditionally, when and where they are commonly eaten, have a cut called steak too.

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2013, 07:19:55 PM »
I'll install it and check it out next time I have a big chunk of free time. Golden Girl's earlier thread kind of made me wary of VO, but GG as well as TPP's later comments seem to have an "innocent until proven guilty" ring to them. Which is a good thing I hope, because it would be a shame if all the (really decent) art/modeling I'm seeing is just fueling a scam.

Well, remember that Valiance Online appeared out of nowhere, made some statements that made it sound dubious that they knew anything about CoH at all, and then vanished off the face of the earth for a few months.  What I think happened - and this is just me speculating wildly - is that if TPP said anything, it's probably from that "vanished off the face of the earth" period.  Heck, I thought they were a fly-by-night scam at that point, too, and posted as such.  But that was before they reappeared and started showing off stuff (most notably that playable alpha, which is still being updated every week or so) like gangbusters.

It could turn out to be terrible, of course.  It's a team of complete unknowns who aren't as connected to the Titan community as TPP or H&V.  But there's a good chance that it'll be done first, so it's worth keeping an eye on.