Author Topic: City of Heroes' Spiritual Successor Kickstarter on Massively  (Read 35544 times)

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
Re: City of Heroes' Spiritual Successor Kickstarter on Massively
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2013, 11:48:31 AM »
I know of no reason why you can't contribute.  And you can contribute to 100 Kickstarter projects if you feel like spending the money.
JenessaVR - thanks for the information. 
Your approval acknowledged but probably won't invest in 100 projects.

dawolv

• Underling
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
*waives credit cards around*

Here take it...just bring us back our Cities!  :D
"All that crap is grey to me, No XP" - Positron

dawolv

• Underling
« Reply #102 on: August 06, 2013, 01:57:54 PM »
The bottom line is: if you're willing to donate your money for this project with the understanding that you're taking a risk then do so and if you're not then don't, but this uninformed bickering and deliberate attacking of other members of the community accomplishes nothing.

I believe like most of us here, I want a game like CoH again, since that may not ever happen (*curses NCSoft*) I have tried the others, such as CO, Marvel Heroes, and DCUO and both of them just do not give me the same pleasure or fulfillment as CoH.

My next option would be to recreate or help to re-create a "CoH-Like" world, the world that I truly miss.
I'm more of hands on tech, networking, systems, etc so I really cant help MWM with my skills from here. So the only thing I can help with; is helping them getting what those poor volunteering fans need to recreate this world again.

Kickstarter is a gamble, that being said, if you choose to donate please do not donate more what you cannot afford.
It is smart to do all the research into the company and their dev's to properly gauge the success of the project.
I would like to see more proof of concept and my guess is we will get that on or before Sept 8th.

"All that crap is grey to me, No XP" - Positron

Solaris

• Minion
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2013, 10:43:58 PM »
I look forward to what they have for viewing and I hope I find a worthy receptacle for my funds. I don't expect the lvl of detail that a recently released Saint's Row IV model creator would have,being a mmo,  but I hope they can at least match the quantity and slick design. I have faith in all the teams , and I hope this showing validates that.

downix

• Phoenix Project Technical Lead
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2013, 01:52:16 AM »
Just my quick advice: if you're not ready to show off the costume editor yet, you're not ready to show off the game.  We may all have our reasons for staying as long as we did, but the initial draw of CoH was its unprecedented flexibility of character creation.
We have the costume editor mostly done. The problem is not the editor, it is the costumes. Making them requires tools, which we are in short supply of. While we can show it off with blockhead, it would give an incomplete picture of how things actually are going.

That is something people really do not understand. The coding is the easy part. The real challenge is the art.

Metal Mountain

• Minion
« Reply #105 on: August 07, 2013, 02:27:39 AM »
These tools would be acquired with the funds from Kickstarter? I'm in! < 8)eyeing up the the Inside Man Tier!>
If a jerk hacker is found, we reverse hack-jerk. -Pohsyb

Quinch

« Reply #106 on: August 07, 2013, 05:24:15 AM »
We have the costume editor mostly done. The problem is not the editor, it is the costumes. Making them requires tools, which we are in short supply of. While we can show it off with blockhead, it would give an incomplete picture of how things actually are going.

That is something people really do not understand. The coding is the easy part. The real challenge is the art.

That raises the question - can you crowdsource it? If costume parts can be made in publicly usable tools, then building the costume system where new parts can be easily inserted into the game assets could alleviate a lot of workload from the costume designers and shifting the focus away from having to make the costume parts themselves and towards ensuring there are no quality, compatibility or copyright issues that prevent them from being added to the game assets.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #107 on: August 07, 2013, 05:32:17 AM »
MWM is basically already crowdsourcing. All the folks are volunteers. Anyone is free to submit stuff, as long as it can be imported, though obviously the leads have veto power.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Quinch

« Reply #108 on: August 07, 2013, 05:41:22 AM »
I know - I mean after launch.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #109 on: August 07, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
I haven't seen anything that says launch will remove the volunteer-driven (crowdsourced) basis.
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

Quinch

« Reply #110 on: August 07, 2013, 06:04:30 AM »
Awesome.

Rae

• Elite Boss
  • Journo/PR: The Phoenix Project
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2013, 07:11:15 AM »
We were asked to do an interview with incgamers this week. The first part is here: http://i.massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/05/the-phoenix-project-developers-talk-passion-grieving-and-movin/

I'm posting that link for completeness, mostly. Given the discussion in this thread, some of you may be interested in part two, where they talk about money and the business side of things:

http://www.incgamers.com/2013/08/the-phoenix-project-interview-part-2-monetisation-and-the-future
--
@Vandellia
Virtue - Vandellia / Unseen Scarlet

Twitter: @Skybloopink

The White Rager

• Lieutenant
    • The Wordpile
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2013, 03:30:26 AM »
Yeah, I was really thrilled with how well that interview covered the practical aspects so many people have been asking for.