Author Topic: NCSoft has a new venture.  (Read 12588 times)

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
Re: NCSoft has a new venture.
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2013, 04:30:48 AM »
Like someone else said, it would be great if this means the potential reopening of City of Heroes or even of other games they've shuttered.  Here's hoping something positive comes of this interaction.

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
Like someone else said, it would be great if this means the potential reopening of City of Heroes or even of other games they've shuttered.  Here's hoping something positive comes of this interaction.

It would indeed be a very nice thing if it were to happen, but I think Hell will freeze before NCsoft reopen CoH.

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2013, 04:32:23 PM »
It would indeed be a very nice thing if it were to happen, but I think Hell will freeze before NCsoft reopen CoH.
Well true but here, we went after things that had even slimmer chances than that.

TimtheEnchanter

• Elite Boss
  • There are some who call me... Tim?
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2013, 05:26:15 PM »
Which execs? If the one from SOE by any chance was involved in the SWG NGE fiasco, that's kinda funny.

Lookout, everyone... game killers are rallying under a common banner.

Ultimate15

• Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2013, 05:47:11 PM »
Well true but here, we went after things that had even slimmer chances than that.

This.
Viva la Virtue!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 03:31:23 AM »
I have nothing productive to say.  But it is a curious group.

NCSoft:  known to kill games without much warning.
SOE:  had one hell of a security breach a few years ago shutting down their gaming systems for several days.
Blizzard: maker of some of the most successful titles.

I'd be a little concerned about playing an NCSoft backed, Ex SOE and Ex Blizzard exec managed game.  More importantly, how did the separation of the execs from Blizzard happen?

No Surrender!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
  • You think the holidays are bad for you ...
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 05:16:26 AM »
More importantly, how did the separation of the execs from Blizzard happen?

He must still be respected in S Korea if he's considered an asset in this venture.  I'm think he was very involved during the original growth of StarCraft eSports there.  So I'm guessing he wasn't part of Blizzard stepping in when StarCraft II came out and essentially demanded to be in charge of all StarCraft II eSports.

One aspect of this blew up last month between Blizzard and Major League Gaming over StarCraft II tournaments.  It may be the first major push back since Blizzard declared itself commissioner of all StarCraft II eSport.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/25/mlg-no-longer-working-with-blizzard-to-host-starcraft-2-world-championship-series/
Tempus unum hominem manet

Twitter - AtomicSamuraiRobot@NukeSamuraiBot

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 12:30:27 AM »

I really doubt a studio helmed by ex-Blizzard execs would have any interest whatsoever in picking up what in their eyes is an old, cancelled game. Developers tend to want to work on new, shiny things. Even Paragon Studios was not exempt, just look at the various "secret projects".

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 04:03:17 AM »
This new studio is working on a MOBA like LoL or DOTA 2.  Stop trying to read into it people.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 03:47:55 AM »
I don't know a damned thing about eSports, other than that it is a thing.

but I'm with a lot of others. You've got some really big bad offenders involved here. people who were involved with some of the worst moves in gaming history, between CoH getting the axe, the PSN breach where it cam out that even basic security best practices were not followed, a company that grew fat on decade's old content and then decided to jump on the hot new bandwagon with come licensed content.

I want to like Molten and the idea of new content and different new genre... but honestly, the news just makes me want to lob a thermite grenade into the lot of it like the angry disenfranchised gamer I am.
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2013, 07:31:39 AM »
Sorry for the innocents involved but I feel NO trust in my heart for anything that NCSoft is even distantly related to. I will not patronize it. I would return to the City and the Isles if they reopened while I hoped fervently that whatever Skunkworks is/are reverse engineering a server keep on keeping on.  Because the instant that became availiable I would reroll my characters there and probably not look back.

Nc is crap and from what I hear SOE not much better. I am done with those kind of outfits.

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2013, 08:58:06 AM »
Okay just checked out the building the new company is in.  Sharing space in the ICW building.  It's conveniently adjacent to the San Diego Fertility Clinic and the Changes Plastic Surgery and Spa (love California's perfectly plastic people society).  Homes in the area are only in the $750K range.  Guess most of the grunts will be commuting, far.

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2013, 11:20:23 AM »
Okay just checked out the building the new company is in.  Sharing space in the ICW building.  It's conveniently adjacent to the San Diego Fertility Clinic and the Changes Plastic Surgery and Spa (love California's perfectly plastic people society).  Homes in the area are only in the $750K range.  Guess most of the grunts will be commuting, far.

Now, I'm hearing " Plastic People", by Zappa and the Mother's of Invention, in my head! Lol!

Cobra Man

• Boss
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2013, 11:27:03 AM »
Sorry for the innocents involved but I feel NO trust in my heart for anything that NCSoft is even distantly related to. I will not patronize it. I would return to the City and the Isles if they reopened while I hoped fervently that whatever Skunkworks is/are reverse engineering a server keep on keeping on.  Because the instant that became availiable I would reroll my characters there and probably not look back.

Nc is crap and from what I hear SOE not much better. I am done with those kind of outfits.

Very well said.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter as well.

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 12:50:58 PM »
"Former execs of Blizzard and SOE have formed a new game studio with backing from NCSOFT."
This, really, is all I needed to read.

Three of the companies I hate most in video gaming, coming together under of the banner of the one I currently despise most of all, making a game that's part of a genre that I genuinely wish would've died with the Warcraft 3 mod that spawned it.

The only thing I will do to dignify this thing's existence further is to give it a grim chuckle when it finally dies - and then NCsoft squats on the carcass, like it does with everything it kills.  That pile of corpses is getting pretty big by now, I'd imagine.

Nightwatch

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2013, 11:03:41 AM »
Very well said.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter as well.

Make your views known on the Molten's Facebook page.  There are about 25 comments on it now (including mine as Archimedes Nye) and all but one make the point that getting into bed with NCSOFT is poison.

Login.  Comment.  Let them know what you think of NCSOFT.

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2013, 12:32:28 PM »
I don't know. Perhaps with the closing of CoH, companies have become aware of how NCSoft likes to work and have thus changed the way they do business with them accordingly in order to protect their own interests. I would like to think that at least.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 12:06:33 AM »
I don't know. Perhaps with the closing of CoH, companies have become aware of how NCSoft likes to work and have thus changed the way they do business with them accordingly in order to protect their own interests. I would like to think that at least.

No kidding.  Even people I knew who hated couldn't believe it was shutdown.  It blows my mind NCSoft is ignoring the PR nightmare they're in.  At least one company is actually telling their own players not to worry because that will never happen with their game.  Don't remember the company or the game, but make it clear that it's over 14 years old now and going strong with new content being written.

Too bad it's fantasy fiction and not comic book hero.
No Surrender!

FatherXmas

• Elite Boss
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 08:44:59 AM »
It blows my mind NCSoft is ignoring the PR nightmare they're in.

But EA has constantly abused their customers and nothing comes of it.  If Ford screws over a small group of customers in say Malaysia, would A) we hear about it and B) care.  NCSOFT's major presence now in NA and EU is Guild Wars 2, which is doing pretty well, and hype about WildStar.  If WildStar does GW2 numbers for the holidays and preorder the only people who remember CoH and hold a grudge about it is us.

Oh, and when was the last time NCSOFT funded a studio they didn't own, Cryptic.  I'm betting Molten will be bought outright by NCSOFT within 3 years.  The three founders get big stinking piles of money and NCSOFT gets another studio to ride roughshod over.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 11:40:34 AM by FatherXmas »

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 09:30:20 AM »
But EA has constantly abused their customers and nothing comes of it.  If Ford screws over a small group of customers in say Malaysia, would A) we hear about it and B) care.  NCSOFT's major presence now in NA and EU is Guild Wars 2, which is doing pretty well, and hype about WildStar.  If WildStar does GW2 numbers for the holidays and preorder the only people who remember CoH and hold a grudge about it is us.

A) Probably not unless one went looking for it and or just happen to be in the said region at the time.

B) Probably not. Hell, overall, most don't care about companies screwing over others even within this country and even after hearing about it...until it affects them personally, then it becomes a big issue.