Author Topic: Website is Live!  (Read 15819 times)

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
Re: Website is Live!
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
For crying out loud warn people that the website is a 20MB download. 
I think separating the information out to several pages, or at least loading the parts on demand would be a more professional approach.

Don't get me wrong, I love the site otherwise.   The design and story are spectacular. 

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2013, 08:31:47 PM »
For crying out loud warn people that the website is a 20MB download.  It's disconcerting that what looks to be a relatively empty page was fetching so much stuff.  If I didn't know better I would have guessed malicious software.

Well done but because how html works there isn't a guarantee that page one images load before the rest so you have to wait for the entire site to load to be sure.  I would have preferred the table of contents to take you to individual pages rather than the long wait to be sure the page was complete with a previous/next arrow on each page.

I suppose I was being a little too ambitious - it's an easy fix that I somewhat prepared for. The home page now acts as table of contents and each section are now separate pages :)
Save City of Heroes | http://www.ourcityofheroes.com/

Globetrotter

• Boss
  • I am a still Hero and This is what I do!
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2013, 10:53:45 PM »
http://ourcityofheroes.com/Shutdown.html

This link is going to a 404.
Gutta cavat lapidem, non vi, sed saepe cadendo.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2013, 12:12:51 AM »
http://ourcityofheroes.com/Shutdown.html

This link is going to a 404.

Bah! I'm still trying to break the graphic designer habit of using title case everywhere. Should be fixed now.

goodtime

• Boss
    • my videos
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2013, 12:17:12 AM »
Bah! I'm still trying to break the graphic designer habit of using title case everywhere. Should be fixed now.
Reaction.html link on the shutdown page, too.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2013, 12:19:45 AM »
Reaction.html link on the shutdown page, too.

Got it.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2013, 04:08:16 AM »
Ahh *dusts hands* finished the Action section of the website. I think it's good to coast for now. Just in time too. The shutdown announcement anniversary is upon us and things are ramping up for me in RL with school and work.

Like it on facebook and tweet it. Share with your fellow gamer friends. Educate those who never heard of the game. And most of all, enjoy! :)

ourcityofheroes.com

Luna Eclypse

• New Efforts # 9,000!
  • Boss
  • Follow my on Twitter @LunaEclypse
    • Luna Eclypse on VirtueVerse
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2013, 02:04:04 AM »
I LOVE the work you've done on that site. It really moved me and, at the same time, brought back all those feelings of absolute anger I was feeling towards NCsoft which wasn't a bad thing mind you. In hindsight of our rollercoaster of a journey through the sunset period and these post-shutdown days, I'm becoming increasingly concerned for the folks developing Wildstar. While they've really worked hard to make an attractive and unique game, that niggling feeling remains in the back of my head that NCsoft is not going to know how to sell it in the Asian market and they'll make another "kneejerk shutdown" reaction again to add yet another MMO to their graveyard. "Attractive and unique" don't tend to fly well in a market dominated by Manga/Anime style K-game grindfests. So they have me wondering how long it will be til we see the headline that these people are going to lose their jobs as well.
"The Remarkable Dazzling"
Luna Eclypse

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:46 AM »
Ahh *dusts hands* finished the Action section of the website. I think it's good to coast for now. Just in time too. The shutdown announcement anniversary is upon us and things are ramping up for me in RL with school and work.

Like it on facebook and tweet it. Share with your fellow gamer friends. Educate those who never heard of the game. And most of all, enjoy! :)

ourcityofheroes.com
I really do like that website. You are an artist.

Also, I think you would have fit in with the Bouquet of Roses Super-group I had on the Champion server. I affectionately called the base "The Rose Garden". The only rule I had for the SG was that the the Characters' names had to contain Rose (Sniper Rose, Fairy Rose, Wild Rose, Yellow Rose of Texas, etc.). I even had a villain group with the Rose theme: Roses Grown Wild. The VG leader there was Rose and Posse, a Thugs/Poison mastermind.

I LOVE the work you've done on that site. It really moved me and, at the same time, brought back all those feelings of absolute anger I was feeling towards NCsoft which wasn't a bad thing mind you. In hindsight of our rollercoaster of a journey through the sunset period and these post-shutdown days, I'm becoming increasingly concerned for the folks developing Wildstar. While they've really worked hard to make an attractive and unique game, that niggling feeling remains in the back of my head that NCsoft is not going to know how to sell it in the Asian market and they'll make another "kneejerk shutdown" reaction again to add yet another MMO to their graveyard. "Attractive and unique" don't tend to fly well in a market dominated by Manga/Anime style K-game grindfests. So they have me wondering how long it will be til we see the headline that these people are going to lose their jobs as well.

Personally, I give them about a year from launch before NCSoft starts making serious closure noises.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

OzonePrime

• Elite Boss
  • Never Give Up! Never Surrender!
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 12:01:03 PM »
Very nicely done!

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 02:16:20 AM »
That seriously is one very well done website. I had to stop reading partway through for a while, it just choked me up too much. You've done an excellent job on it VyoletRose, that should make a really strong impression on people when they read it.

*clap clap clap clap clap clap clap*

Waffles

• Elite Boss
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 02:48:38 AM »
Not to sound like a jerk, but the color scheme is kinda jarring. Any way you can separate the colors a little better to make it easier to read and look at?

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2013, 03:37:55 AM »
I tweeked the color scheme a little bit. Hopefully this will be better on the eyes.

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2013, 05:44:03 AM »
Was the bottom of the Hope page always worded like this:  "We are City of Heroes ... and this is what we do." 
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2013, 09:50:38 PM »
Was the bottom of the Hope page always worded like this:  "We are City of Heroes ... and this is what we do."

Originally, I think I meant it be taken metaphorically - that we, the customers, are what make up City of Heroes. But probably better, and clearer, to just echo our slogan again - so I updated it to "We are heroes... and this is what we do."

MaidMercury

• Elite Boss
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2013, 01:29:42 AM »
Sorry I have been away for a few months..
I just looked at the website. It is amazing the work you put into it.  :o
the design is very nive and the images you put together are very creative.

Thank you for posting, I will book mark this. ;D

johnrobey

• Elite Boss
  • CoH global: @Kristoff von Gelmini
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »
I've also been away, for about 3-4 months, but it's good to be back!  It was really great seeing this thread and checking out http://ourcityofheroes.com/ourstory.html  (I'm still scrolling thru the quotations in the Legacy section.)   That was beautiful and inspiring!!  (Okay I finished reading the website.)  What a beautiful labor of love!  Thank you!!!   8)
"We must be the change we wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi         "In every generation there has to be some fool who will speak the truth as he sees it." -- Boris Pasternak
"Where They Have Burned Books They Will End In Burning Human Beings" -- Heinrich Heine

SerialBeggar

• Elite Boss
    • Serial Beggar
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2013, 12:50:42 AM »
Bump ;)

I was wondering if you were going to include any info on the successor projects, especially with City of Titans making a decent amount of press.  And hasn't Valiance Online been displaying and demoing their progress for the past several months?  Does Heroes and Villains have any tangibles to exhibit?
Teams are the number one killers of Soloists.

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »
I've been contemplating this for a while. I know I've mentioned that I would feature the successor startups - but I couldn't figure out a good way of doing it. The site in general was about telling our story with the goal of getting more outside support to pressure NCSoft to release the IP. I was concerned that featuring the successors would be a deterrent from this goal. I worried that the site's message would change to, "Please help us try to get the game back, but if not we're making other games - so no biggie if you don't want to bother NCSoft."

Realistically, I don't think NCSoft really wants to release the IP.... maybe because it needs some competition!

The focus of the site should be about the strength of our community. Going with that direction, the site would show the earnest determination of our community, and how we took a misfortune and turned it into an opportunity.

I will try to educate myself more on the successor projects so I can find the best way to portray it using the site's storytelling layout. Not sure how soon I could get something up and running, school and work are in full swing, but I will get to work on it right away.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 07:23:09 PM by VyoletRose »

VyoletRose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2013, 07:27:27 PM »
The first thing I can do is get the successor links listed. I will try to get that revision up in the next day or two.