Author Topic: No MMO is safe it seems  (Read 2319 times)

FourSpeed

• Lieutenant
No MMO is safe it seems
« on: August 23, 2013, 08:43:39 PM »
We malign NCsoft for the closure of CoH, and rightfully so -- they'll never sell me another thing ever.

But, it seems they're not the only ones to sh*tcan a beloved game for the mythical "change of focus"
BS.

It seems to be an increasingly common tactic these days ... link.

Never played that, but I can certainly sympathise with the community reaction...

Regards,

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
Re: No MMO is safe it seems
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »
Mhm.  First NCsoft, now Disney.  BTW, there's already some discussion on the subject in this thread.

And to think, we actually approached them about saving CoH.

PunkusJR

• Boss
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 10:00:47 PM »
MMOs eventually closing is an odd thing to think about. I already said it elsewhere, but it's almost like facing your mortality in a way. I completely feel City was taken from us before it's time, and it seems toon town is doing the same (though I can't say). But eventually MMOs have to die one way or another. I just wish more of them would be put on maintenance mode for a while first. ono
I am the gun that rains judgement. I am the chill in the spine of evil doers. I am the flame that burns with justice. I am the teal angel that rises from death! I! AM! KAIT0!

Thunder Glove

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:13:27 PM »
With Toontown, you could sort of see the writing on the wall.  The game was cruising along in near-maintenance mode for at least a year, with updates being few and far between.

CoH was more of a shock because it was weeks (if not days) away from its next gigantic update, with promises of an entirely new story arc in the episodes after that.

That doesn't make it any less sad. I was reading the Toontown Central fan forums, and they're all heartbroken.

It really sounds familiar.

(Though, apparently, there is a ray of hope for them that there wasn't for us - one of the original Toontown devs, Jesse Schell has long since left Disney, and is now CEO of his own company, Schell Games.  He's apparently expressed interest in buying and continuing the game with the Disney characters removed.  It's not likely - he says there are lots of legal issues - but it's something to keep an interested eye on)

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 10:23:22 PM »
MMOs were never safe.

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 10:33:29 PM »
I'm even more baffled that they would shut down a pirates game. I never played toontown. But I watched my lil bro play it a few times. Always looked funny.

TargetOne

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 11:10:32 PM »
I was about to post this news, but FourSpeed beat me to the punch. :D

Guess it's a good thing Disney didn't pick up CoH.

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 05:08:46 AM »
Since this is in the wrong forum, I'll just lock this. Previous thread ongoing here: http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,8995.0.html
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal