Author Topic: One Year Ago  (Read 23062 times)

Johnny Joy Bringer

• Minion
  • AP 33 /e holdtorch
One Year Ago
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:57:10 PM »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 10:29:36 PM by Johnny Joy Bringer »

alphajaybo

• Lieutenant
  • The one The only Alpha Protocol V2.9
Re: One Year Ago
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
Hey dude the community will never die sure it might get smaller but then it gets bigger again. :D as for the heroes of paragon city i have a feeling that their return will mark the beginning of a new era.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 08:01:05 PM by alphajaybo »
Daoc CoH and WoW

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »
way to keep the faith, alphajaybo...I also believe that we will get our City back. Not only will long-time players come back, but new people would be able to see why we wouldn't let go or give up hope.
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

pogoman

• Vox Populi
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
Every time I hear about these wonderful kids, a tear comes to my eye. Then, my resolution gets a little stronger, I get more determined. There were times this past year I almost said, 'Hey, let's not do a show this week...' Then I thought about those kids, and others in this wonderful community of ours and I said 'Hey, I've GOT to do the show this week.' They are MY inspiration. As long as there is air in my lungs and blood in my veins, the show will continue!

-Pogoman-

Johnny Joy Bringer

• Minion
  • AP 33 /e holdtorch
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 10:59:43 PM »
And, of course, they are Pogoman fans, ... and Captain Bacon fans ... and god help us all Detra fans. :)

Every time I hear about these wonderful kids, a tear comes to my eye. Then, my resolution gets a little stronger, I get more determined. There were times this past year I almost said, 'Hey, let's not do a show this week...' Then I thought about those kids, and others in this wonderful community of ours and I said 'Hey, I've GOT to do the show this week.' They are MY inspiration. As long as there is air in my lungs and blood in my veins, the show will continue!

-Pogoman-

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 12:01:32 AM »

-Pogoman-
I'll let you borrow my family motto, if you'd like. :)

Dum Spiro Spero. (While I breathe, I hope.)

Or, if you want, you could always use a quote from Commander Peter Quincy Taggert.(Galaxy Quest) "As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »
One year ago, I had accepted the end and knew it was coming, then feared it, then realized it can't ever come, because we're all still here.

I've heard it said that City of Heroes was a social networking tool with an MMO attached. And that sounds about right for what I remember. In that case then, the bulk of its players would have to have been a group of friends that enjoyed each others' company, and just used the game as the core around which they gathered. A game which, in time, they grew to love as though it was another of their friends.

So you're right, the end can't come, because friendship doesn't end. It can change, sure, but even with distance and time feelings this deep don't just stop. We may gather in smaller groups now, and we may pass our time with different activities, but we're still us. We're still the group of friends who all enjoy the same thing, and want each others' company while we do it.

It was the heart of Paragon City that made it special, and one day that heart will beat again. It might be in Paragon City itself, with its familiar streets and caves, or it might be in a city with a new name and new maps to explore. But it doesn't matter. Even if it's not the city we know, it will still be the city we love. 'Cause all our friends will be there.

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 02:16:01 AM »
or it might be in a city with a new name and new maps to explore.

And some will still be caves :P
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

Triplash

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 02:25:25 AM »
And some will still be caves :P

Of course! It's not a superhero city without sewers and caves. How else would we show off our ability to wade through nasty muck without getting our clothes dirty? :D

Golden Girl

• One Liners and Winky Faces
  • Elite Boss
    • Heroes and Villains
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:41:09 AM »
Of course! It's not a superhero city without sewers and caves. How else would we show off our ability to wade through nasty muck without getting our clothes dirty? :D

For variety, we'll have 2 styles of sewer - a more modern system for the majority of Titan City, and an older, darker one for the areas beneath the old town district of Salem.
"Heroes and Villains" website - http://www.heroes-and-villains.com
"Heroes and Villains" on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/HeroesAndVillainsMMORPG
"Heroes and Villains" on Twitter - https://twitter.com/Plan_Z_Studios
"Heroes and Villains" teaser trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnjKqNPfFv8
Artwork - http://goldengirlcoh.deviantart.com

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 06:54:24 AM »
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

General Idiot

• Elite Boss
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 09:25:26 AM »
For variety, we'll have 2 styles of sewer - a more modern system for the majority of Titan City, and an older, darker one for the areas beneath the old town district of Salem.

Somehow, I just became slightly more interested in your game. Which is odd because you'd think that more sewers would make me less interested. :p

Kaiser Tarantula

• Elite Boss
  • @Nerva
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 12:15:54 PM »
Today is August 31st, the anniversary of the shutdown notice of City of Heroes.  With that notice, NCsoft believed they had ended their commitment to us.  Severed the ties.  Burned the bridges.  In some ways it's true - they have made it very clear that they're done with us, and done with this whole situation.

But we're not done.  Oh no.  Not by a long shot.

I am reminded of a quote by Isoroku Yamamoto, Admiral of the Japanese Navy, about the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.
I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant, and fill him with a terrible resolve.

Well, NCsoft's done about the same thing.  One year ago, they woke up a sleeping Titan.  And now they've dealt with us rumbling ominously in their direction for a solid year.  The time is drawing closer when we are going to sever our ties with them, and we're going to do it in spectacular fashion, as only superheroes and supervillains can.

We will have a home again.  By hook or by crook, we will have a home again.  Let the doubters moan, let the naysayers whine, but we will have a home again.  And once we do, we will kick NCsoft to the side, and tell them, "we have had a reevaluation and realignment of our goals as a community.  You no longer matter to us any more."

Best-case scenario?  They learn shame and humility for their mistreatment of us.  Worst-case scenario?  Their accountants still bemoan the fact that our money isn't filling their bank accounts.  I'll be fine with either.

In the meantime, each and every one of you needs to keep that torch held high.  Do not stop, do not give up.  Yeah, it's been a year, but I've seen other communities suffer longer and keep faith, and I'm pretty damned sure we're the best out there.  If it makes you feel better, needle NCsoft a little - don't be rude, don't be crude, but a little reminder that CoH's not dead so long as its community survives is a beautiful thing.  Maybe throw a few comments @ncsoft on twitter, tagged #SaveCoH or #AvengeCoH.  Make yourself heard on their Facebook wall.

It wouldn't hurt to remind them that when they thought they were just killing a game, what they were really doing was wounding a community.  I hold little hope that those blasted executives learn shame from it, but at the very least, we can show them that mistreating your playerbases tends to have consequences down the road.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:27:53 PM by Kaiser Tarantula »

Johnny Joy Bringer

• Minion
  • AP 33 /e holdtorch
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 12:48:31 PM »
This is a link to Tonyv's extremely gifted response to NCSoft's nonsense and continuing nonsense, at the time.

http://www.cohtitan.com/forum/index.php/topic,5467.0.html

Here is the insulting response to the community from NCSoft.

http://web.archive.org/web/20121004230919/http://us.ncsoft.com/en/news/response-to-city-of-heroes-player-and-fan-suggestions.html

I hope we can all remember what doing business with NCSoft is like. In effect is was as if you played a great card, board, or role playing, game with friends all over the world for a decade, and some company didn't just stop publishing the game, they snuck into our houses stole our game and burned our characters sheets. That is what it's like when an MMO shuts suddenly. It destroys faith in the idea of an MMO at all. We are all going to invest our time and money differently after this experience. Observers of this event will also. When joining a new MMO we'll wonder if it's been around too long. We'll wonder if it will be shut down soon, and with little notice. NCSoft damaged the MMO business model when they callously closed City of Heroes.

That might be why so few of us have moved to other games.

My hat is off to people like Golden Girl who has amazing drive, skill, and seems to have a clock with 36(or more) hours on it. I envy her, as my schedule has only become more hectic over the last year. As a life long, gamer, GM, comic collector, and programmer, I would love to work on a game.

I've always been a kind of loner. Never a joiner. In fact I refused to team or join an SG for a long time. I played with only a small group of people. As little as 1 year ago I would never have posted here, or called SaveCOH radio to talk to the ever so cool Pogo. I have grown, thanks to the game, and changed. Not exactly from the game itself, but from the players.

From now until a year from the day they turned off the server I suspect we will be saying "a year ago" a lot. I'm glad. It would be far worse if we all lost our resolve and didn't say anything. Remembering will give strength to the new projects and will harden many of us against purchasing anything that will give money to NCSoft. I hope we will make fan videos, and write stories. I hope we will have parties and remember those of us who didn't make it to see these days.

Well, that's the end of my rambling "I love you guys" mode. I have to make breakfast and play the City of Heroes card game with the kids, because it's raining outside today.

Take care.
#SaveCOH
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:06:19 PM by Johnny Joy Bringer »

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 01:53:22 PM »
One Year Ago

So...

One year ago, I had accepted the end and knew it was coming, then feared it, then realized it can't ever come, because we're all still here.

Nice post Johnny.  My kids also played in similar fashion and the wife complained of motion sickness too, so we played her blaster ;D

Randomvector

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2013, 04:33:38 PM »
Gonna just say what I say to everyone:
Next year in Paragon.

Eoraptor

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2013, 04:47:21 PM »
"Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story, while others can read the back of a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe!"
-Lex Luthor

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
I gave my thoughts on the game, for sure.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

batqueen

• Boss
  • [flap flap]
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2013, 08:37:15 PM »
(as chanted by loud, angry, defiant cheerleaders,
and led by Head cheerleader, Fusionette...)  ;)
------------------------
(Boom boom bam)
(Boom boom bam)
(Boom boom bam)
(Boom boom bam)

One year ago, on this day,
NCSoft said "go away!"

but we're still here,
we're still here,
we fight for what
we hold dear

they took the keys
and locked the door
threw our accounts
down on the floor

but we're still here,
we're still here,
the world knows that
we're still here

they laughed us off
left us alone
we looked around
could find no home

but we're still here,
we're still here,
time has passed
and we're still here

it's not that easy
you thought you'd win
we'd walk away
and just give in

but we're still here
we're still here
a year has passed
and we're still here

paragon streets are
where we roam
the only place
that we call home

and we're still here
we're still near
whispering
into your ear

give our city
back to us
you've done us wrong
you broke a trust

but we're still here
we're still here
we must remind you
we're still here

so this is how
it should be done
we shouldn't quit
we cannot run

and other games will
come and go
but we'll still
always let you know

that in the end
we will be home
we'll never leave
we'll never roam

there is no other
choice for us
we'll fight until
victorious!

..echoes away, then cheers roar within the War Walls...

Atlantea

• Elite Boss
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »
As for what I have to say to NCSoft - I believe all you need to do is read my signature below. Which I'm going to leave on their facebook today as a reminder that we're still here.

"...and filled him with a terrible resolve."  Yes. Indeed. My anger has cooled since a year ago on Black Friday. But my resolve has not.

This is the best damn gaming community I've ever been a part of. One of the best communities period. We are passionate and creative and driven. We will get our City back, one way or another. Indeed, in some ways, we already have. Not, perhaps, in the way that most of us would wish. But we can walk the streets of Paragon still if we wish.

Have hope that the rest is coming.

*Raises a toast*

Next Christmas in the Ski Chalet!