Author Topic: Shutdown Anniversary Mail-in.  (Read 10262 times)

Stormsurge

• Minion
Shutdown Anniversary Mail-in.
« on: November 01, 2013, 02:38:34 PM »
Wow, it's November and that means it's the one year anniversary of the City Of Heroes Shutdown. What's happened during that time? Well, I think we should just let NCSoft know that despite the game being closed for a year, the CoH Community has not and will not forget. That being said, I think We need to once again launch a mailing campaign... just a simple reminder to the corporate bigwigs that we're still out there. This is not expected of course to change anything. But it never hurts to try. So, get creative. Write a small letter, send them a photo of your toon or just print out an AP33 logo and mail it to them. It's just a friendly reminder to them that we as a gaming community, still exist, even if the game does not.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
Re: Shutdown Anniversary Mail-in.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:30:16 PM »
I thought the game shut down on December 1.   ???

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 05:36:43 PM »
Well if it shut down at midnight of Nov. 31st, that is Dec. 1st....same thing
Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:23:35 PM »
Oh, we're going to "remind" them all right. Yes indeedy do. But I don't think a mail-in is the way to do it. Nope.... we will "remind" them of ourselves and our [legitimate] issues, not to mention griefs, the day City of Titans rolls out the gate. An ungraded, potentially better game which will get our money for years and years.... you know, that money NCSoft basically spat on.

They spat on our money, and they spat on us. But living well is the best, best revenge. I intend to remember that well, when my reincarnations of my two main alts roll out of the Titan's character creators and logs into their versions of Atlas/Mercy.

Who needs you, NCSoft? WE DON'T. And that's a concept they can REALLY remember.

pogoman

• Vox Populi
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 10:40:31 PM »
The shutdown was announced for 11:59:59 PST November 30th last year.

Blondeshell

• Elite Boss
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 12:08:30 AM »
Well if it shut down at midnight of Nov. 31st, that is Dec. 1st....same thing

Yeah, I knew that it was shutting down on November 30, with the final servers going dark just after midnight on December 1. I was just trying to discern whether the OP had meant to indicate that November 1 or just November in general was the anniversary of the shutdown.

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 01:12:55 AM »
I say use the hash tag #rememberCOH with every tweet about City of Titans.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 02:43:38 AM »
Through their actions, they said we weren't worth keeping.  They said we didn't matter.  They were wrong!

We will never forget.  We will build our own home.  A home away from their blood soaked hands.  Though we are down, we are not out.  Our heroes and villains were there for us.  Now we are hear for them.  From the ashes caused by NCSoft's reckless management, we will build a new and better city.  And my mice will walk the streets of this new city.

I will not waste time reminding them of something they already know.  They know we're here.  They want to talk, they can pick up the phone.

LV
No Surrender!

JaguarX

• Elite Boss
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 06:18:59 AM »
Through their actions, they said we weren't worth keeping.  They said we didn't matter.  They were wrong!

We will never forget.  We will build our own home.  A home away from their blood soaked hands.  Though we are down, we are not out.  Our heroes and villains were there for us.  Now we are hear for them.  From the ashes caused by NCSoft's reckless management, we will build a new and better city.  And my mice will walk the streets of this new city.

I will not waste time reminding them of something they already know.  They know we're here.  They want to talk, they can pick up the phone.

LV

Indeed.

Ya know in a bad break up. Some dirt bag dumps their mate out of the blue and walk away. Yet the dumped person keep pursuing the one that dumped them?

Yeah we have three games coming out, probably a couple of underground work being done, yet victory cannot be obtained unless the words of "we don't need them" is backed up with actual actions. We sent letters they made their decision. I'm not saying forget anymore than a person that get dumped on the side of the road forget but at the same time they cannot achieve victory or move on with their life if it revolves around pursuing the one that dumped them in the first place. The person that dumped them know they are still around and usually they actually gain some sort of pleasure knowing they moved on but the person they dumped unceremoniously is still attached to the leash and if mess hit the fan they can just simply go back. They don't learn of their mistake. But when the person they dumped in an uncouth manner actually move on with their lives and they realize that person don't hold them at the center of their attention or worse act like they don't exist, then they learn what a mistake they made. And if not, it wouldn't matter, the person they dumped moved on and not even thinking about them any longer.

Just like someone that get dumped in a harsh manner, they can say "they moved on", "That person that dumped them don't matter anymore." "They don't care" but the actions speak a different story as they still talk about them often, still pursue them, still update the dumper on the events in their lives, still send them letters. And usually while words are heard about moving on, everyone around know the truth and reality that those words of moving on in that case haven't happened yet and if that person came back saying, "Hey lets get back together" they would go for it without question.

Overall I think enough chasing has been done. If they want to cut a deal, then let them come to us. We don't need them, lets show them we mean those words.

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 02:37:26 PM »
Well said, JaguarX.

I'm not trying to bash anyone here.  However, NCSoft and Coh are the past.  Our three projects are the future.  We should concentrate on our future.  Not our past.  Instead of tweeting with hash tags like #rememberCOH.  We should promote our projects, ie "Project X:  Home of the Real Heroes" or "Project Y Where the heroes are heroins, the villains are villainous, and the city folk are nervous."  You get the idea.

One thing I did do when NCSoft announced the closing of our city was to roleplay the withdraw of my toons from the city.  I built a section of my private wiki for my toons and thier world.  Each toon had her pictures taken, her bio recorded, and even some extra written in for her.  I also took pictures of The Nest (aka the mouse base) and pics of the city from all the zones.  All of this was placed into my private wiki with a nice write up for each toon and the base.  I have the music from the game as well.  Sometimes I even play the music and go into that part of the wiki.  Sometimes it even brings a tear to my eye.  But, I gave myself closure early.

I know that many of you didn't give yourselves closure.  I also know that this thing is like an open wound that will not heal.  Give yourselves some closure.   Let the wounds heal.

I'm not saying forget what happened to us.  We must take what happened and make it our rallying cry and the driving force behind what we do today.  But more importantly, we must channel that power into building our new home(s).  Not use it to lash out at NCSoft.  Lashing out at NCSoft won't get us our home(s) nor will it get them to put Coh back up.  Let the creation of our new home(s) be our revenge.  That is the biggest and most powerful thing we can do to hit back.  We need it big and that means getting the word out a new city is coming.  But before we rush to tell the world, let's let the projects tell us when the timing it right to get the word out.

LV
No Surrender!

LadyVamp

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 02:40:44 PM »
You know when a cat and a mouse agree on something, that's big.  lol
No Surrender!

Omega Mark V

• Boss
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 02:54:40 PM »
Back on topic: I like the idea of using the hash-tag #remembercoh on twitter feeds as a sort of 'commemoration' or 'remembrance' of a year gone by. Its also part of the history of why the new titles coming out are happening in the first place. Also, I'm not willing to let NCSoft live their decision down yet.

As for the main topic, no, I think we don't need to spend time emailing NCSoft when we know what there answer is. Some tweets to show our remembrance seems like a good idea, though.
- Omega Mk. V

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 06:06:13 PM »
I have no problem with people remembering CoX, and making that known publically. I do have a problem with it looking like we are still crawling on our bellies to NCSoft in the vain hope that they will relent. We did plenty of that, and it got us nowhere.

Time to stand on our own two feet and start facing forward.

Although I will admit, every time I log into Icon and fly around Paragon or the Isles a bit, my homesickness is so bad its almost a physical pain. But no matter how homesick we are, NCSoft is not budging and they will never, ever budge. So: emulator for nostalgia, CoT for the future. And hopefully the happiness of the latter will eventually make the sadness we all feel, a little lighter. Eventually.

healix

• Elite Boss
  • Every good friend was once a stranger
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 06:48:24 PM »
There have been truly amazing events and miracles that have happened in my life that I never would have imagined. That being said, I can not/will not give up the hope that some day we will be able to have our game back. (I am also a HUGE supporter of the wonderful games being worked on by dedicated and talented people....if my good wishes could cause success, they would be up and running now.)  My heart's home will always be the game I played for over eight years, and someday I want to be there again. Till then, I will continue to say

Listen to the 'mustn'ts'. Listen to the 'don'ts'. Listen to the 'shouldn'ts', the 'impossibles', the 'won'ts'. Listen to the 'you'll never haves', then listen close to me... Anything can happen . Anything can be.

DJMoose

• Missing His Jeep
  • Boss
  • To believe in the heroic makes heroes.
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 05:34:23 AM »
Oh, we're going to "remind" them all right. Yes indeedy do. But I don't think a mail-in is the way to do it. Nope.... we will "remind" them of ourselves and our [legitimate] issues, not to mention griefs, the day City of Titans rolls out the gate. An ungraded, potentially better game which will get our money for years and years.... you know, that money NCSoft basically spat on.

They spat on our money, and they spat on us. But living well is the best, best revenge. I intend to remember that well, when my reincarnations of my two main alts roll out of the Titan's character creators and logs into their versions of Atlas/Mercy.

Who needs you, NCSoft? WE DON'T. And that's a concept they can REALLY remember.
+50 billion
Serkana The Wise
Primal Praetorian

Peregrine Falcon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »
I have to agree with Illusionss, LadyVamp, and JaguarX. Sending them anything, asking them for anything, would be a mistake.

NCSoft isn't ever going to give CoH back to us. They've made that clear. And we, for our own emotional well being, need to stop begging them to. We need to accept that it's over, hold our heads high, and move on.

Instead of looking back we need to look forward. We have other projects that are being worked on. And I have confidence that at least one of these will be what CoH was for us, only better. And even better than that is the fact that the community, not some faceless corporation, will have control over these projects.

This community really doesn't need to put itself in the position where it can be harmed by a faceless corporation that's not happy with a game that isn't giving them WoW (or Eve or SWTOR) numbers.
Paragon City refugee - "We're heroes, it's what we do."

saipaman

• Elite Boss
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »
The funding of City of Titans is the best message the community could send to NCSoft.

And you just know there will be another wave of publicity....

JWBullfrog

• Elite Boss
  • I didn't leave Paragon City. They threw me out!
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »
Just a quick scan of the internet shows that the word is already starting to spread. The message about the kickstarter's success is being mixed with renewed stories about how sad it was that CoH got shut down.

I'm not a vengeful person. But there are times when it's fun twisting the knife a bit.
As long as somebody keeps making up stories for it, the City isn't gone.

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »
The funding of City of Titans is the best message the community could send to NCSoft.

And you just know there will be another wave of publicity....

Most  T.V. companies assume that for so many letters they receive about a specific show, there are a correspondingly larger number of people that are interested in that show. If you look at this kick-starter the same way, even if the ratio of donors to non-donors is 1 in10 then we'd have a fairly good player base to start with.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Stormsurge

• Minion
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 02:57:02 AM »
I would say if you want to do it, then by all means do. But if not don't. Or you could say " na na na we have our own game now" or something to that effect. Oh clearly I never expected a reaction out of NCSoft by doing this, It was just intended to be a simple statement to them that said " Yep, all those customers you abandoned.. well we're still here. Or we're. "