Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7286275 times)

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #10160 on: August 29, 2014, 12:24:12 AM »
General policy - it's a deal-breaker for me if a game can be played offline, but is crippled/restricted to only be playable with a constant online connection just because the game company wants to monitor/control my playing, then I don't go anywhere near them.  For instance, I very much like The Sims 3, but won't go near the latest Sim City.  That's the way Steam operates, so I don't go anywhere near them.

Sounds like Ubisoft's DRM with Silent Hunter 5. A denial-of-service attack rendered it unplayable for several days. They finally lifted the online requirement.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:38:16 AM by Super Firebug »
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10161 on: August 29, 2014, 12:27:30 AM »
I think if this guy were Iron Wolf, he'd've posted something along the same lines here, too. As one of the people he was responding to, I'm taking it with a highly amused grain of salt and moving on with my four day weekend.

Anyone else still use Pine? :D

Yeah, not buying this as of now. If something's going to happen I'd expect to read it here first rather than FB.
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10162 on: August 29, 2014, 12:32:22 AM »
Robert is correct. I did not know about Monday however, I am sorry I have been up at the hospital a lot this last 2 weeks.

My new grand daughter Avelina Eve is doing very well and she may be out of the incubator as early as tomorrow. She was born at 4lb 1 oz. She lost a little weight as new borns usually do and dropped to 3lbs 13oz. Now however she is up to 3lb 15oz and has been off the c-pap machine for a week.

I have been being human. New grand daughter born and a brother that on Tuesday just had a cancer removed (looks like they got it all) and so my world narrowed to just getting by each day. I deleted a couple of my own snarky posts because well you strike out at those you feel comfortable around. Things are moving forward. I know you are all excited as I am for what happens next.

I look forward to just being another guy on the boards and thank you all for mostly staying patient.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10163 on: August 29, 2014, 12:34:22 AM »
Don't worry, Ironwolf.  You're already far and beyond any call of duty here.  Take care of your life and we'll continue to be patient on updates.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10164 on: August 29, 2014, 12:35:12 AM »
Robert is correct. I did not know about Monday however, I am sorry I have been up at the hospital a lot this last 2 weeks.

My new grand daughter Avelina Eve is doing very well and she may be out of the incubator as early as tomorrow. She was born at 4lb 1 oz. She lost a little weight as new borns usually do and dropped to 3lbs 13oz. Now however she is up to 3lb 15oz and has been off the c-pap machine for a week.

I have been being human. New grand daughter born and a brother that on Tuesday just had a cancer removed (looks like they got it all) and so my world narrowed to just getting by each day. I deleted a couple of my own snarky posts because well you strike out at those you feel comfortable around. Things are moving forward. I know you are all excited as I am for what happens next.

I look forward to just being another guy on the boards and thank you all for mostly staying patient.

We are the one that owes a debt of thanks to you for even initiating all this. Thank you. Thank you for the confirmation too. Good to hear good news in your RL too.

Angel Phoenix77

• Elite Boss
  • I am Phoenix !!
« Reply #10165 on: August 29, 2014, 12:38:09 AM »
We are the one that owes a debt of thanks to you for even initiating all this. Thank you. Thank you for the confirmation too. Good to hear good news in your RL too.
I agree with this, Iron you have been a hero in all of this :). I understand you should take care of family, while I normally do not speak for everyone, I will say we will still be here :)
One day the Phoenix will rise again.

Number9

• Minion
« Reply #10166 on: August 29, 2014, 12:38:39 AM »
General policy - it's a deal-breaker for me if a game can be played offline, but is crippled/restricted to only be playable with a constant online connection just because the game company wants to monitor/control my playing, then I don't go anywhere near them.  For instance, I very much like The Sims 3, but won't go near the latest Sim City.  That's the way Steam operates, so I don't go anywhere near them.

Little bit confused by this.  First, if CoH returns you will obviously have to play online so whoever brings the game back will be "monitoring" your play.  Second, as I and someone else said most Steam games (all I think except Valve games) can be launched without logging into Steam.  As far as I know Steam does not set the DRM requirements of the games they sell.

CoH redux would be well served to be on Steam.  Ive discovered many games via Steam that I would not have found otherwise.  I regularly get Steam chat windows popping while playing a game with Steam friends asking me what I think of the game Im playing.  Whoever brings CoH back will likely need more than just the die harders to return; new players and non-die-hard returnees will be key for CoH viability.  Also, these people will be essential to raise investment capital or run a kickstarter to get CoH2 off the ground.  Steam is the perfect vehicle.
Formerly of Virtue server: Number 9, StormBird, Magic8Ball, Fyv, and many others I care not to mention in the desperate hopes I get to recreate them and use their names once again.

Kaos Arcanna

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10167 on: August 29, 2014, 12:38:46 AM »

Here's hoping your family has a speedy recovery.

And success or failure, thank you for making the effort.

Kistulot

• Elite Boss
  • Argentum Weritas Est!
« Reply #10168 on: August 29, 2014, 12:42:20 AM »

Your real life struggles and stresses have to trump the stuff going on here, that is understandable! I really hope your grand daughter and brother recover and get to live long, happy lives devoid of any future health issues.

Thank you again for being a great member of our community.
Woo! - Argent Girl

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10169 on: August 29, 2014, 12:45:11 AM »
Little bit confused by this.  First, if CoH returns you will obviously have to play online so whoever brings the game back will be "monitoring" your play.  Second, as I and someone else said most Steam games (all I think except Valve games) can be launched without logging into Steam.  As far as I know Steam does not set the DRM requirements of the games they sell.

CoH redux would be well served to be on Steam.  Ive discovered many games via Steam that I would not have found otherwise.  I regularly get Steam chat windows popping while playing a game with Steam friends asking me what I think of the game Im playing.  Whoever brings CoH back will likely need more than just the die harders to return; new players and non-die-hard returnees will be key for CoH viability.  Also, these people will be essential to raise investment capital or run a kickstarter to get CoH2 off the ground.  Steam is the perfect vehicle.
I'm aware that CoH was/is/shall be (obviously) online to play.  However, Steam's business practices have left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm very leery of them on general principles.  That said, I don't really care if they market it on Steam as long it's very clear that I don't have to go anywhere near Steam in order to purchase/play CoH.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10170 on: August 29, 2014, 12:54:26 AM »
To clarify, I would cheerfully add a 0 to the purchase price of CoH if it meant I did not have to have Steam infesting my PC.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #10171 on: August 29, 2014, 12:56:36 AM »

First, family.  Do that.

BUT... 'Robert is correct'?!

Whoa. 

I mean, I thought when I saw it on Reddit, it was just another "LOOK AT MEEEE!!" thing.

Nifty to hear it's not... but as I said on Reddit... Until it's official and I can log in...?

Salt.  Grains of it all up in this house.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #10172 on: August 29, 2014, 01:05:42 AM »

FYI, the latest Sim City is now playable offline. Also, you can log in to Steam offline to play as well.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10173 on: August 29, 2014, 01:11:02 AM »
FYI, the latest Sim City is now playable offline. Also, you can log in to Steam offline to play as well.
I hadn't heard that about Sim City.  But Steam will still not be coming anywhere near a computer I own.  For offline games, why should I have to bother with it at all?  I'll continue to go direct to the publisher/studio, even if I pay more.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #10174 on: August 29, 2014, 01:12:30 AM »
Also steam lets you share with friends your game in your library as long you are not playing them at the same time. Oh the Steam sells :O Other DRMs can't do what Steam dose, and that is to give flexibility. CAD actually made a pretty accurate comic on this

Fanta

• New Efforts # 2,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10175 on: August 29, 2014, 01:16:57 AM »

Well wishes and good health to your family Ironwolf. My family has had it's share of health concerns, as I'm sure some others here have as well. All the best.

As for the game. I'll enjoy the weekend and be back on Monday!
I am an ass, but don't we all love a good ass!

Surelle

« Reply #10176 on: August 29, 2014, 01:19:31 AM »

I am glad and thrilled about your brother and granddaughter!  I named my daughter Eve and even at 19 she's still a little spitfire;  your little Avelina Eve will be fine, I can just feel it.   ;D  And you don't ever need to apologize about anything.  I'm just glad Mister Michigan kept at it in a similar vein to Rae, Ammon and Mercedes (plus any others I have missed in the list).

Speaking of which, someone should tell Mercedes Lackey to tune in on Monday, too! 

Oh, and hey, should we have a guessing game about who is bringing CoH back?  My money is on Missing Worlds Media and SCoRE joining forces to reverse-engineer that server backup NC supposedly still has (SCoRE), and then convert City of Titans to City of Heroes 2 (MWM).  CoT was recently converted to Unreal 4, CoH2 has been mentioned to possibly use Unreal 4, plus MWM clearly has the talent, and they clearly have the financial and fan backing via the kickstarter to show NCSoft that CoH players believe in them.  And what donator would complain if they got COH2 instead of CoT?

And as for my vote for the official name of COH2, if they need ideas....   City of Heroes:  Phoenix Rising.  After all, City of Titans was originally The Phoenix Project until they ran into copyright troubles.   8)

I'm still not trying to get my hopes TOO up, but things are looking good!  Wow, who could have believed it?  Didn't Eliot Lefebvre say something about having to throw a ticker tape parade if he was proved wrong and City of Heroes was revived?  Monday should be an interesting Labor Day to say the least....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 01:26:01 AM by Surelle »

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10177 on: August 29, 2014, 01:20:39 AM »
Also steam lets you share with friends your game in your library as long you are not playing them at the same time. Oh the Steam sells :O Other DRMs can't do what Steam dose, and that is to give flexibility. CAD actually made a pretty accurate comic on this
My friends can go buy their own games.  And the best DRM is no DRM.  For instance, I own The Sims 3 and every Expansion Pack and Stuff Pack.  I purchased all of them on DVD from Amazon, not the DRM-restricted direct download versions.  If EA goes out of business tomorrow and vanishes from the face of the Earth, I'm still good and can play TS3 all I want (I've also taken the liberty of downloading a manual install copy of the last/latest cumulative super game patch).  If I had gone with the downloadable copies, no dice - they would control them, not me.  And I didn't drop $1,000 on TS3 for someone else to control them instead of me.

JanessaVR

• New Efforts # 12,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #10178 on: August 29, 2014, 01:23:15 AM »
Speaking of which, someone should tell Mercedes Lackey to tune in on Monday, too! 
Mercedes Lackey has been gone for over a year and at this point I don't think she's coming back.

AlienOne

• HumanZero
  • Elite Boss
  • Resident Kheldian
« Reply #10179 on: August 29, 2014, 01:23:34 AM »
I hadn't heard that about Sim City.  But Steam will still not be coming anywhere near a computer I own.  For offline games, why should I have to bother with it at all?  I'll continue to go direct to the publisher/studio, even if I pay more.

I understand where you're coming from. Really, I do. I am a huge proponent of offline gaming for solo and for other reasons (like I just lost my internet because my internet company is being stupid! Or... For deployed military personnel in regions that don't have internet--they need entertainment too!). I still believe Diablo 3 should have an offline mode--just as Diablo 2 did. But, that aside...

I was also someone who really did not like how poorly Steam performed when it was first released. However, since that time, they've redeemed themselves (in my opinion), and as far as "business practices," I think they're doing better than most other game-affiliated companies--especially when it comes to getting games at rock-bottom bargain prices. I've noticed that anytime Steam has a sale, every other digital retailer follows suit. So, regardless of whether or not you choose to install the program itself, you've probably reaped the benefits that have come from Steam's impact on the industry.

In addition to that, the reason a lot of people would want to use Steam is multi-faceted:

1. In the event of a corrupt/failed hard drive (or a scratched CD/DVD), you can always re-download your game for free.
2. Its community features are pretty helpful. I've gotten quite a few games working by participating in the online communities' boards
3. It has a fairly good chat system (I prefer Evolve, but some people would rather just stick with Steam)
4. Its features for playing your games on your TV (or through a Steam system) is like no other system/interface currently available
5. Who doesn't like earning achievements (badges, for you folks who only understand CoH-speak...haha)?

All in all, I think they've come a long, long way since they first began.

Those of us who fought for Sim City to be offline finally won, but....if you want to play it, you still have to play it through Origin, which (in my opinion) is like Steam's red-headed step-child that always misbehaves. Origin is basically were Steam was in its infancy--it's got a long way to go.
"What COH did was to show [developers of other] MMOs what they could be like if they gave up on controlling everything in the game, and just made it something great to play."  - Johnny Joy Bringer