Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7290483 times)

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #12200 on: September 30, 2014, 02:43:57 PM »
As best we know, the player accounts are not available, we will have to start over.

it's still awesome, I've got mids builds and costume files/screen shots, starting over will be fun too.

Lol Race for 1st LV 50 fully slotted with decent sets all the badges and accolades, anyone in?
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12201 on: September 30, 2014, 02:50:17 PM »
it's still awesome, I've got mids builds and costume files/screen shots, starting over will be fun too.

Lol Race for 1st LV 50 fully slotted with decent sets all the badges and accolades, anyone in?

Truth be told, I think it is nice to start over. Plus with so much more powers available, people can make their "main" more in line of what they wanted.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12202 on: September 30, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
Truth be told, I think it is nice to start over. Plus with so much more powers available, people can make their "main" more in line of what they wanted.

my first 50 was energy/fire. many times I thought about deleting and rerolling.

Teikiatsu

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12203 on: September 30, 2014, 05:34:32 PM »
my first 50 was energy/fire. many times I thought about deleting and rerolling.

This sounds like a fun new thread topic.  "Will you keep the same main or make alterations? "
Virtue Server - Main: Midnight Lightning Dark/Elec/Psi Defender

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfKUPgy_xH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EitO6Wq_9A

Scendera

• Boss
  • Faith Manages.
« Reply #12204 on: September 30, 2014, 06:13:16 PM »
Oy...some dumbbunny has the idea of suing NCSoft over on FB. Trying to convince him it's a lousy idea but...yeah, FB

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12205 on: September 30, 2014, 06:24:35 PM »
NCSoft won't sell the full game code. That means the entire thing with notes, developers tools, 25 - 8x10 color glossy photos and 4 part harmony. It is likely because the Cryptic or NCSoft code is used in multiple games and it may allow people to potentially do back things to other games - that NCSoft may or may not own.
This should be mentioned often.  NCSoft does have a logical reason to not sell the engine.
So the way around that was to get a snapshot of the servers as they were at closing time. This disk image can then be used to restore the game to its last state. Character data is unlikely to be available - right now at the start - if it appears later, I can see real problems with it showing up 6 months later and having to overwrite someone else who may have that name in all innocence.
That could get interesting...
Then to handle the IP, NCSoft is setting up an Independent Holding Company - whose job is to lease the IP to other users for fees negotiated for such purposes.
Like others, this part immediately raised my eyebrows!   Runs counter to Nate's statement "Buying the IP".   I'm not one who necessarily sees NCSoft as evil...but it would make me nervous to have them in charge of the "Independent Holding Company".
You can see there are a LOT of moving parts in this deal. I am curious who is slated to run the Original game and what start up costs for players they had in mind and if the store will be in operation. If the store is in place with a let's say $29.99 buyer gets all badges and stuff, all AT's unlocked and maybe choice of 10 veteran rewards............I would think that is very reasonable.
That sounds reasonable to me.   Any bets on the 10 vet rewards that would be most popular?   :D
Then you can buy whatever else you need from the store and the game makes enough to stay running perpetually and that was always our goal - to keep it running as long as possible.
Another important one that should be mentioned a lot.   A few people seem to not want to bother since they believe the game won't be around very long.   The closing of the game was a very painful thing for a lot of people and I can't blame them for not wanting to stick their hands back into the fire.

The closing may have been a bit of a wakeup call to some as to what the "reality" of online gaming is....

....Don't get attached.   You will lose your game at some point.

I put "reality" into quotes because I believe that needs to change and I think it will.   No other type of game comes with this built in "doom".   It's almost immoral.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12206 on: September 30, 2014, 06:30:30 PM »
I typed that wrongly - the Holding company will own the IP. NCSoft is just selling it to the holding company.

I was trying to gather my own thoughts as well and was doing so while multi-tasking at work!

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12207 on: September 30, 2014, 06:36:09 PM »
Oy...some dumbbunny has the idea of suing NCSoft over on FB. Trying to convince him it's a lousy idea but...yeah, FB

Social media did not make people dumb, it just made more dumb people prevalent.

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12208 on: September 30, 2014, 06:39:26 PM »
Harpo, what I can see happening as a possibility - if a group of people were to reverse engineer the game and then turn and offer that code for a reasonable fee to the ones holding the game - it would be possible to then continue some form of development. This would be nice as it would be done without the spaghetti code of the original game and perhaps more........elegantly written to allow others to work on things.

If someone were to be doing such a project.

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #12209 on: September 30, 2014, 07:26:24 PM »
Social media did not make people dumb, it just made more dumb people prevalent.
i would argue the point and just say it made them louder and more visible.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12210 on: September 30, 2014, 07:36:38 PM »
i would argue the point and just say it made them louder and more visible.

Isn't that one in the same with what I said? :p I guess prevalent means in a given time while what you says is a constant.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #12211 on: September 30, 2014, 07:44:41 PM »
Isn't that one in the same with what I said? :p I guess prevalent means in a given time while what you says is a constant.

You're both right, now stop arguing and get back to Mids! :p

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12212 on: September 30, 2014, 07:50:40 PM »
You're both right, now stop arguing and get back to Mids! :p

Done with mids. Makes me sad that I tweaked all these new builds but can't implement it. :( Even more sad to see I can't play around with Wind Control in mids.

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12213 on: September 30, 2014, 08:07:40 PM »
Done with mids. Makes me sad that I tweaked all these new builds but can't implement it. :( Even more sad to see I can't play around with Wind Control in mids.

You can.

I have Mid's files with: Wind Control, Martial Assault, maybe some others (I forget if Rad Melee and Bio Armor were already in Mids or not). Not sure if I set them up for all of the applicable ATs, but at least most of them. Also most of the new pool sets. Some tweaks in the powers aren't there (damage from Martial Assault's Envenomed Blades, Pressure system for Wind Control, etc), but most of the power stats are there.

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12214 on: September 30, 2014, 08:14:02 PM »
You can.

I have Mid's files with: Wind Control, Martial Assault, maybe some others (I forget if Rad Melee and Bio Armor were already in Mids or not). Not sure if I set them up for all of the applicable ATs, but at least most of them. Also most of the new pool sets. Some tweaks in the powers aren't there (damage from Martial Assault's Envenomed Blades, Pressure system for Wind Control, etc), but most of the power stats are there.

O.o My mids dose have Bio Armor, but not Wind Control, Rad Melee, or Martial Assault. Can you provide the link of mids that provides all that? (I got mine from here http://www.cohplanner.com/)

Illusionss

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12215 on: September 30, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »
I typed that wrongly - the Holding company will own the IP. NCSoft is just selling it to the holding company.

I was trying to gather my own thoughts as well and was doing so while multi-tasking at work!

Good. The idea of NCSoft leasing the IP themselves makes me break out into a cold sweat. I would not take having the rug yanked out from underneath me AGAIN, a year or so down the line, very well at all.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12216 on: September 30, 2014, 10:53:44 PM »

Ahhh, ok.  Understandable man.  Thanks for clarifying.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Battlechimp

• Boss
« Reply #12217 on: September 30, 2014, 11:07:18 PM »
Runs counter to Nate's statement "Buying the IP".   <snip>

Just addressing this part.  And no offense to Ironwolf, his efforts in getting things moving with everything have been incredible.  But whatever he's posted about the buyout attempt, anything posted by Nate really trumps it. :). Everyone should remember, in regards to anything with the negotiations, when in doubt, go with what Nate says.
Some men were born to greatness, others had it thrust upon them.  Me?  I punted. - Col Cranston Snord

Blow things up! Blow things up! Blow things up! Blo... wait, not that!! - Jammers everywhen

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12218 on: September 30, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »
Harpo, what I can see happening as a possibility - if a group of people were to reverse engineer the game and then turn and offer that code for a reasonable fee to the ones holding the game - it would be possible to then continue some form of development. This would be nice as it would be done without the spaghetti code of the original game and perhaps more........elegantly written to allow others to work on things.

That would be awesome.   ..."If someone were doing it".   :D

One question popped into my head though.

If NCSoft doesn't want to sell it because it may be intertwined with other games somehow....would a reverse engineering project recreate that issue as a logical extension of coming up with something that would run CoH?

Surelle

« Reply #12219 on: September 30, 2014, 11:45:34 PM »

;)