Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7284444 times)

Ironwolf

• Stubborn as a
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #12820 on: October 25, 2014, 02:31:05 AM »
Haha.  And so crazy rumors fly around the rumor mill.  I'd heard CoX got shut down due to some impending new tax liability that would have been imposed upon NCSoft had it stayed open, due to changing tax laws for the end of that year.  That was the crazy rumor I heard anyway.   :P  Let's just remember that they are all nothing more than that-- just rumors.

Actually me shooting down that rumor was exactly what got this effort started. Nate contacted me and said - wait what? There was no tax issue? I said nope it was a misunderstanding on what was happening and that selling everything outright to someone other than Paragon Studios was going to be far too expensive to do. A group - I don't know exactly who wanted to buy just the IP. They dropped out after trying to pound their heads on the wall of Corp culture at NCSoft.

Once it was found there would be no tax liability to restarting CoH - it was then they got everything in place and made the offer, an offer that very cleverly done.

Rejolt

• Elite Boss
  • Infinity Server 2005-2012
« Reply #12821 on: October 25, 2014, 03:05:27 AM »
Actually me shooting down that rumor was exactly what got this effort started. Nate contacted me and said - wait what? There was no tax issue? I said nope it was a misunderstanding on what was happening and that selling everything outright to someone other than Paragon Studios was going to be far too expensive to do. A group - I don't know exactly who wanted to buy just the IP. They dropped out after trying to pound their heads on the wall of Corp culture at NCSoft.

Once it was found there would be no tax liability to restarting CoH - it was then they got everything in place and made the offer, an offer that very cleverly done.

Every time you make logical, behind the veil posts like this ... I mentally replace the entire well written blocks of text with the phrase:"Soon(tm)"

... And back to waiting.
Rejolt Industries LLC is now a thing. Woo!

Nyx Nought Nothing

• New Efforts # 11,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • Ha!
« Reply #12822 on: October 25, 2014, 03:51:57 AM »
Or is there? I can neither confirm nor deny that I'm from the future.
And i can neither confirm nor deny that i'm from the past.
Admittedly that is the default assumption for everyone in the present, but i still refuse to confirm or deny it.
So far so good. Onward and upward!

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12823 on: October 25, 2014, 04:54:43 AM »
Reguarding Speed ITF... I have never fully understood why anyone would want to run a speed ITF or a speed anything for that matter. I did ITF post lvl 50 for two reason 1. shards 2. possible purple drop plus the influ was nice. As rare as purple drops were defeating large groups of NPC helped in the possiblity of getting one "even if it wasnt me that got the drop". So its kinda like, how should I put this? Going out and buying ten lottery tickets and throwing away nine of them you still have a small possiblity of win but odds are better if you keep all ten. Now on to pre lvl 50 XP XP XP. Yea that about sums it up. With that all said if you just want to see how fast you can do it well thats different. thats just my stinky opinion and I would love to do a ITF or hell even a speed ITF today if I could.

Though I see where you're coming from, I'm not sure the math adds up - but I could be wrong.

If I recall correctly, the chances of a very rare/purple dropping were higher for lt's and bosses. (not sure if av and elite bosses were on the same level of them or not)
Given the number of higher ranking baddies that have to be clobbered through a speedy itf, relative to a defeat all/most - given the time comparisons, it may in fact be a better deal to go for the speed run.

Don't forget about the reward merits, and if you chose them instead, the Notice of the Well - which was a component needed to convert an uncommon alpha into a rare.

Speedy time for an ITF is about 10-15 minutes, depending on team composition, etc.  A defeat all, well, that could be as quick as 35-45 minutes, depending on the same things. It's all conjecture now, of course, but given the rewards, particularly if it was the weekly, I'd rather do a lot of quick runs than a couple or three slower runs. And, since there are xp/inf bonuses for completion, that just sweetens the pot.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

Ryo Kinsaru

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12824 on: October 25, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
I hope you don't mind if I post one of my ignorant speculations. I have wondered since the shutdown if it was caused by a sort of "writer's block". Maybe they just could not for the life of them figure out where to go next. I know when the shutdown happened I had several toons who could jump into any pre-incarnate map at +4x8 and demolish it with everyone else parked at the door. The gap between pre-50 and fully Incarnate was so massive that if you took your end-game toons out into the rest of the world it felt like a completely different game because you were basically indestructible. I mean sure, they could introduce new powersets and whatnot, but after incarnate buffing it would still be the same result. The endgame basically outran the game and they were stumped about what they could do for new content and storyline. I may be incredibly way off base here, but I really did wonder about the whole thing at one point or another. If it wasn't the deciding factor, could it have contributed? Feel free to disagree, but please, no name-calling or trolling. See ya in-game!
I can't think of anything clever to place here as I am currently over-caffeinated on very little sleep. All the cool people have a signature, so I will drop random text here trying to fit in.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12825 on: October 25, 2014, 12:53:31 PM »
I hope you don't mind if I post one of my ignorant speculations. I have wondered since the shutdown if it was caused by a sort of "writer's block". Maybe they just could not for the life of them figure out where to go next. I know when the shutdown happened I had several toons who could jump into any pre-incarnate map at +4x8 and demolish it with everyone else parked at the door. The gap between pre-50 and fully Incarnate was so massive that if you took your end-game toons out into the rest of the world it felt like a completely different game because you were basically indestructible. I mean sure, they could introduce new powersets and whatnot, but after incarnate buffing it would still be the same result. The endgame basically outran the game and they were stumped about what they could do for new content and storyline. I may be incredibly way off base here, but I really did wonder about the whole thing at one point or another. If it wasn't the deciding factor, could it have contributed? Feel free to disagree, but please, no name-calling or trolling. See ya in-game!

No.  They had the game planned out to Issue 30 at least.

ukaserex

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12826 on: October 25, 2014, 03:06:55 PM »

I believe the term is "power creep" - and no, that's not what they'd call Pee Wee Herman if he became a super powered being. With incarnate powers, each character as he/she gets developed begins to out-level the regular content. BUT - within the incarnate storyline, in most cases, they needed all the extra power they had. (Really Hard Way badge efforts were tough - fun, but tough - paying attention to all those little details)

One of the big problems was - "Ok, I'm level 50, now what?".  The incarnate story line answered that question. But, soon, another question arose. "I'm level 50+3, what do I do when I'm not doing incarnate stuff?"  The obvious answer for me was to re-roll, farm, craft, market or badge hunt, whatever suit my mood at the time. For others, different personalities required different solutions.

Some people put a great deal of RP story telling into their characters. They truly loved their characters! The notion of feeling compelled to just leave that character unused for a different character wasn't always satisfying. Some even re-rolled the exact same powersets, with the same powers, just a different name - and even that felt like a different experience to them - and they didn't want that. They wanted to not be bored playing the character they just got to 50+3 with different Judgment, Interface, Lore, Destiny and Alpha options. (There were a lot of lore options, lol. Some were trying to get all of them!)

But, we know from Positron, (Matt Miller) that there were tons of content in the pipeline. It just hadn't hit the live servers, and some not even the test server.
Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese

JennSpace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12827 on: October 25, 2014, 05:16:07 PM »
Time travel to the future is theorically possible, all we'd need is the Enterprise, a black hole and using said Enterprise to spin around the black hole faster than light speed! ;D Travelling to the past though, that's another story... :P
Missed in action in the Rikti War Zone, almost 2 years ago.

houtex

• Elite Boss
  • I was the turkey all along! MEE!
« Reply #12828 on: October 25, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Actually, the Enterprise, or any other warp 9+ capable starship (say, a Klingon Bird of Prey) can travel through time without any black hole.  It only takes a regular ol' star, like, say, our own Sol, and the correct trajectory and speed. 

Source: Star Trek: TOS: Tomorrow is Yesterday
Source: Star Trek: TOS: Assignment Earth
Source: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

That is, using a Starship.  There are other methods.  The Guardian of Forever, for example, or the Atavachron of Sarpeidon, temporal disruptions, cold starting warp engines to exit a gravity well, Q, TARDIS, H. G. Wells' Time Machine...

But at some point, apparently, Starfleet stopped all that crap (and buried it, one supposes), so it wasn't used again in any other cases beyond the repopulation of Earth's humpbacked whales.  One shudders to think what might happen if, oh, say, a temporally unethical bunch of people were to start using it...

Oh, right.  Temporal Cold War.  Yeah. :p

pinballdave

• Elite Boss
  • I am the player formerly known as Psylenz
« Reply #12829 on: October 25, 2014, 05:54:45 PM »
Actually, the Enterprise, or any other warp 9+ capable starship (say, a Klingon Bird of Prey) can travel through time without any black hole.  It only takes a regular ol' star, like, say, our own Sol, and the correct trajectory and speed. 

Source: Star Trek: TOS: Tomorrow is Yesterday
Source: Star Trek: TOS: Assignment Earth
Source: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

That is, using a Starship.  There are other methods.  The Guardian of Forever, for example, or the Atavachron of Sarpeidon, temporal disruptions, cold starting warp engines to exit a gravity well, Q, TARDIS, H. G. Wells' Time Machine...

But at some point, apparently, Starfleet stopped all that crap (and buried it, one supposes), so it wasn't used again in any other cases beyond the repopulation of Earth's humpbacked whales.  One shudders to think what might happen if, oh, say, a temporally unethical bunch of people were to start using it...

Oh, right.  Temporal Cold War.  Yeah. :p

I submit a Wrinkle in Time

Surelle

« Reply #12830 on: October 25, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »

Actually, Melissa Bianco's initial reaction was something along the lines of, "What?!  But we were doing so well!"  There had actually been an uptick in income after CoX went F2P, so they were as shocked as the rest of us. 

We could pose questions about the past all day long, but none of it does anything for us (or Team Hail Mary) now.  My biggest hope is that NCSoft isn't just trying to tire out the team with waiting, hoping they'll just finally go away.  Other than that, I hope Team Hail Mary can protect themselves with a sustainable foundation and plan for the CoX rez and the IP licensing, which may wind up being the more secure long-haul solution for never losing CoX again.

dwturducken

• Elite Boss
  • Now available in stereo
« Reply #12831 on: October 25, 2014, 06:32:38 PM »
Time travel to the future is theorically possible, all we'd need is the Enterprise, a black hole and using said Enterprise to spin around the black hole faster than light speed! ;D Travelling to the past though, that's another story... :P

We're all traveling forwards in time, just all at the same rate, give or take.
I wouldn't use the word "replace," but there's no word for "take over for you and make everything better almost immediately," so we just say "replace."

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12832 on: October 25, 2014, 09:03:26 PM »

Or just solve the problem of making cryogenic freezing safely reversible.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12833 on: October 25, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »

Or a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor, an intact gas tank and Mr. Fusion.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #12834 on: October 25, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
Or a DeLorean with a Flux Capacitor, an intact gas tank and Mr. Fusion.

And a new starter motor... :p

MM3squints

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12835 on: October 25, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

You can use a Time Displacement Equipment. The only downside is you come out of it naked

Excidia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12836 on: October 26, 2014, 12:10:33 AM »
Reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon.  Dogbert was trying to sell his time machine to the pointy haired boss.  If you enter it and stay inside for exactly 60 seconds, you'll come out 1 minute in the future.

Pointy haired boss loved it.

e-
You don't ever leave someone FOR dead.  You leave them DEAD.

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12837 on: October 26, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
You can use a Time Displacement Equipment. The only downside is you come out of it naked

or use a Vortex Generator, or see if you can get a ride in the TARDIS
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #12838 on: October 26, 2014, 01:03:38 AM »
ladies and gentlemen, it is corporate golf vacation season. This is when all things work are ignored except serious matters or stock matters by cell phone/chat.

I do not suspect we will hear from NCSoft for a while. Possibly if we are lucky we will see some sort of reaction in December, if not we will have to wait till after Western newyear (January first) or at worst february something till after Asian newyear.

so, at this rate time travel would be a good option if you have it.

If, if we want faster results, we could in fact find our best golf player to go play a game with NCSoft execs along with those in charge of this matter, of course the situation still remains the same; no one playing golf can mentio CoH unless NCsoft starts the conversation.  that is just my input, take it or leave it.

the point of this is to keep relations active so they don't just discuss it and forget it.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Super Firebug

• New Efforts # 20,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12839 on: October 26, 2014, 01:08:30 AM »

If, if we want faster results, we could in fact find our best golf player to go play a game with NCSoft execs along with those in charge of this matter, of course the situation still remains the same; no one playing golf can mentio CoH unless NCsoft starts the conversation.  that is just my input, take it or leave it.

Would wearing a CoH T-shirt count as mentioning it?
Linux. Because a world without walls or fences won't need Windows or Gates.