Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7285738 times)

Zerohour

• Lieutenant
  • Trapped in the Speed Force
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #12940 on: October 31, 2014, 12:31:29 PM »
For me it's just the not knowing aspect. Will it or won't it happen?  Trying not to get excited but still getting excited anyways. Fully realizing that all this could be for nothing. All the forum posts, sharing of memories about the game, talking about builds and power sets and what the first thing you're going to do is when the lights come back on. The fact that all it takes is a "no" from some unseen person and this is all gone, it's hard to handle the feeling of balancing on the edge of a cliff every day.

If the game takes a year before it's back, that's fine. I just want NCSoft to tell us either way so that we can really settle into the excitement, or let it go and focus on one of the new IPs

indiramourning

• Minion
« Reply #12941 on: October 31, 2014, 03:16:24 PM »
You all know...

We should all be Trick-or-Treating right freakin' NOW!!!!
Totally! And in just a couple of months the Ski Chalet!  ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 04:29:37 PM by indiramourning »

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #12942 on: October 31, 2014, 06:12:22 PM »
He is also working on CoT and trying to get the framework of the costume designer so that is can be plugged into both games.
Huh? This is the first I've heard of that.

Me too. So is he trying to get CoT's costume designer to be able to be ported in to CoH, or vice versa? Because if a modern game is held to the limitations I assume were in place due to technology back when CoH was made, that's a poor choice. I'm pretty sure someone on these forums said that the inability to use asymmetric costume pieces (Like Champions Online) was hard coded in to CoH, and something like that is just going backwards.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Takinalis

• Boss
« Reply #12943 on: October 31, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
Nah, it can definitely work.

Just because the base principle framework will be similar, that doesn't mean the assets will be outdated. CoH had a truly amazing costume creation interface, to update that with new assets is actually a pretty good choice.
Valkyrie Blade - Virtue Server

Power Gamer

• Elite Boss
  • Reaching troubled youth...one Hellion at a time!
« Reply #12944 on: October 31, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »
Nah, it can definitely work.

Just because the base principle framework will be similar, that doesn't mean the assets will be outdated. CoH had a truly amazing costume creation interface, to update that with new assets is actually a pretty good choice.

True dat!

Although I seem to remember some chat about how adding new costume pieces was a very time intensive process. Cross checking the new parts against the others to ensure they don't break too many polygons or break other design considerations.
It takes a village to raise a child. And it takes a villain to explain the value of lunch money.

-Random CoHer: "Why does the sky turn green during Rikti invasions?"
-Me:"Rikti Monkey farts"
-Random CoHer: "I'm going to you for all my questions from now on!"

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #12945 on: October 31, 2014, 06:44:07 PM »
I'm pretty sure someone on these forums said that the inability to use asymmetric costume pieces (Like Champions Online) was hard coded in to CoH

People are wrong on these forums all the time.

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #12946 on: October 31, 2014, 07:05:34 PM »

dang lol saw codewalker and was like "there must be an update!" _letdown lol
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #12947 on: October 31, 2014, 07:10:52 PM »

NOOOOOO!!!!! Illusions.... shattering......

I'm still wondering what the revealed "trying to make costumes work in both games" means exactly.

dang lol saw codewalker and was like "there must be an update!" _letdown lol

I don't think Codewalker is the one to look for updates from in this thread. Icon, sure.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

Surelle

« Reply #12948 on: October 31, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »

I'm still wondering what the revealed "trying to make costumes work in both games" means exactly.

Someone already answered you-- "both games" refers to both City of Titans (Unreal 4) and Atlas Park Revival (Unreal 4, borrowing bare-bones version of same engine, costume creator, UI and power sets from City of Titans).

:D

Azrael

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12949 on: October 31, 2014, 07:58:16 PM »
Someone already answered you-- "both games" refers to both City of Titans (Unreal 4) and Atlas Park Revival (Unreal 4, borrowing bare-bones version of same engine, costume creator, UI and power sets from City of Titans).

:D

...I like what I've seen of the Atlas Park Revival so far.  Graphics wise.  Very nice.

But it's got a long way to go in terms of assimilating even bare bones tech' let along the IP blockade of NC Soft.

I find it amazing that such a sound 'feeling' game of CoH...so much content...and so much variety is no longer with us.  I look at all the 'flash and no sizzle' games out there.  *Shrugs.  I don't play games.  But I did play CoH.

The 'chasm' like silence surrounding the current effort to buy the game's last imprint of issue 23 and the iP is almost deafening...

...but better that than a 'no.'  It's progress.

For now.

Azrael.

Harpospoke

• New Efforts # 4,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #12950 on: October 31, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »
If the game takes a year before it's back, that's fine. I just want NCSoft to tell us either way so that we can really settle into the excitement, or let it go and focus on one of the new IPs
I get a feeling the "effort" will never die.   NCSoft saying "no" won't stop it.   There are just too many people who will not give up on CoH.

*Shrugs.  I don't play games.  But I did play CoH.
Right there with you.  My brother plays a lot of games...I watch for a few minutes and just lose interest.   I just can't get into any other games.

Drauger9

• Elite Boss
    • My gaming blog
« Reply #12951 on: October 31, 2014, 10:15:22 PM »
I get a feeling the "effort" will never die.   NCSoft saying "no" won't stop it.   There are just too many people who will not give up on CoH.
Right there with you.  My brother plays a lot of games...I watch for a few minutes and just lose interest.   I just can't get into any other games.

Agreed, there are still other projects flying under the radar last I heard as well. It's not a question of if we get our game back. It's a question of when, in my oppion.

As far as bouncing from game to game, I'm in the same boat. I call it looking for my summer home. Since CoH will always be my first MMO and my first home.

So far I haven't found that summer home yet. :(

blacksly

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12952 on: November 01, 2014, 12:01:50 AM »

Offhand, there were Gladiator-style shoulder pads that were asymmetrical

Noyjitat

• Elite Boss
  • Guess who cares?
« Reply #12953 on: November 01, 2014, 12:31:14 AM »
Offhand, there were Gladiator-style shoulder pads that were asymmetrical

Desdemona's one glove, and garter belt thing.

duane

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12954 on: November 01, 2014, 12:33:01 AM »
Desdemona's one glove, and garter belt thing.

Asian inspired pets on shoulder from about issue 3 era... sigh.

Trick or treat tonight!

Aggelakis

• Elite Boss
« Reply #12955 on: November 01, 2014, 12:55:16 AM »
Me too. So is he trying to get CoT's costume designer to be able to be ported in to CoH, or vice versa? Because if a modern game is held to the limitations I assume were in place due to technology back when CoH was made, that's a poor choice. I'm pretty sure someone on these forums said that the inability to use asymmetric costume pieces (Like Champions Online) was hard coded in to CoH, and something like that is just going backwards.
A. City of Titans is designing their costume creator. Atlas Park Revival will be using the CoT costume creator, tweaked so that it has the City [EDIT: City of Heroes] costumes available (probably not the CoT items, though).
B. There are plenty of asymmetric costume pieces in City. The only thing is it has to be a single selection item in the UI. The only reason there isn't options to choose "I want this on my left side and this on my right side" is simply because of the UI. Changing the UI and adding more parts is theoretically possible (if we had the source). It's definitely possible with CoT/APR being built from the ground-up.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 03:37:20 AM by Aggelakis »
Bob Dole!! Bob Dole. Bob Dole! Bob Dole. Bob Dole. Bob Dole... Bob Dole... Bob... Dole...... Bob...

ParagonWiki
OuroPortal

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #12956 on: November 01, 2014, 03:36:22 AM »
i'd love asymetrical costume parts, that would be awesome !
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #12957 on: November 01, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »
A. City of Titans is designing their costume creator. Atlas Park Revival will be using the CoT costume creator, tweaked so that it has the City [EDIT: City of Heroes] costumes available (probably not the CoT items, though).
B. There are plenty of asymmetric costume pieces in City. The only thing is it has to be a single selection item in the UI. The only reason there isn't options to choose "I want this on my left side and this on my right side" is simply because of the UI. Changing the UI and adding more parts is theoretically possible (if we had the source). It's definitely possible with CoT/APR being built from the ground-up.

Sided items were not included for the simplicity of the initial launch of CoH, then furthered to save memory usage. -this became the standard even during ultra mode's release, they decided to go with better graphics rather than more 'customizability' , and an added consideration may have been the extra work it would have been to make the new costume pieces as well as the bug fixing they would need to do to inject such a new feature into the code.

Remember for each new player defined publicly visible variable there has to be a network system setup to send receive and process that info on a player by player basis, so lag might have been a consideration.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #12958 on: November 01, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
To Borrow from Brutal Legend a bit...
NEGOTIATTIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNN!

This is officially one of my favorite posts. Ever. Of all time.

(Huge fan of Brutal Legend.)
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com

Cailyn Alaynn

• Elite Boss
  • Never give in.
« Reply #12959 on: November 01, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Having spoken to Nate a few times - I can absolutely guarantee - he will not wait to bring the game back for anything. I know as soon as he can say - we got it! He will be jumping around like a madman and posting on here as fast as possible.

There might be one slight delay. :P When this all started I told him that he needed to let me know first and foremost when it went through.
"Let's get dangerous..."
Lead Developer and Master of Mischief - Revival Project.
Revival website: APR.Pc-Logix.com