Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7272610 times)

Fable

• Lieutenant
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #14560 on: January 26, 2015, 11:54:20 PM »
Just to play Devils advocate. What this new person decided to halt talks and just reopen the game.

*pops some popcorn and sits back.
"oh, by the way, we own City of Heroes now: who wants pie."

Codewalker

• Hero of the City
  • Titan Network Admin
  • Elite Boss
  • Moar Dots!
« Reply #14561 on: January 27, 2015, 12:04:14 AM »
Just to play Devils advocate. What this new person decided to halt talks and just reopen the game.

The "new person" is married to the CEO and has been in a very high position within the company for quite some time. She was also the recipient of much of the #SaveCOH material and has one of the two email addresses (along with the CEO) that were leaked as a part of that campaign -- which resulted in a very quick response from NCSoft asking the addresses to be taken down.

It seems unlikely that changing jobs would affect the level of influence she has on such matters and/or her position on them.

Whatelse73

• Minion
« Reply #14562 on: January 27, 2015, 12:08:32 AM »

*pops some popcorn and sits back.

I thought about that too.  They were making money off it before, she's supposedly going to focus efforts on getting back into "NC West" so its a possibility.  Frankly, I wouldn't care either way, as long as CoX comes back.

Granted, all the effort spent on this effort to bring it back as a separate entity would be diminished.  but then the effort is getting the game going again, with all this input and effort, I'm sure that would be considered helpful to the final outcome either way.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #14563 on: January 27, 2015, 12:15:12 AM »
Call me a simpleton but moving people around might be a good thing, if only because currently the only western-market game they're working with is Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2. Yes those are major-ish titles but their non-subscription buisness model means they arn't major money-makers. Both the new expansion for GW2 and this move show us that the "focusing on the korean market" attitude that was part of the excuse for dumping COH in the first place are reversing.

Then again I could be reading too much into it.

Other then WoW the free to play model makes more money then subscription only model.  That is why free to play is so popular among games now.  I don't think some people here understand that the marginal costs for each extra player is very low.  Odds are they will buy enough to exceed that cost.  That is why shutting them out of the game entirely earns you less money.  Its like a stadium that has different tiered pricing for different seats but effectively has unlimited seating potential.

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14564 on: January 27, 2015, 12:44:26 AM »
The "new person" is married to the CEO and has been in a very high position within the company for quite some time. She was also the recipient of much of the #SaveCOH material and has one of the two email addresses (along with the CEO) that were leaked as a part of that campaign -- which resulted in a very quick response from NCSoft asking the addresses to be taken down.

It seems unlikely that changing jobs would affect the level of influence she has on such matters and/or her position on them.

Yeah, there wasn't that much thought behind my comment. But good to know at least.

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14565 on: January 27, 2015, 03:18:31 AM »

Its also extremely unlikely that anyone at NCSoft would be thinking about trying to jump-start the game internally.  Honestly, from a business perspective I cannot in good conscience state that I would consider that to be a good idea.  That's a high risk low reward course of action for which its entirely likely they do not even have all the moving pieces necessary to execute even if they wanted to.  It might even cost a large publisher less money to fund a CoH2 than try to resurrect CoH1: its one thing for a community effort containing people very familiar with the game and with nominal community support to try to stand the game up under less stringent conditions than large corporations normally operate under.  Its another thing for a company that probably contains very few if any people with any real knowledge of the details of the game and with no community ties to attempt to bootstrap a game they may no longer have the tools to maintain or the knowledge and skillset to manage.

Whether the president or another executive or the guy that works in the mailroom is running NCSoft, it doesn't change the fact that when NCSoft disbanded Paragon Studios they also obliterated virtually all of the resources they would need to do anything to the game other than sell its pieces to someone else.  Once that particular trail went cold, selling the property to someone else became the only real option that was likely to happen with regard to NCSoft.  They could hire Matt Miller to become CEO of NCSoft tomorrow, and I'm still pretty certain an NCSoft-operated CoH would be a million to one longshot.

Fable

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14566 on: January 27, 2015, 03:25:23 AM »
Let me ask this then. What do you guys think are the chances of old paragon employees helping out? Assuming none of them are involved in the effort anyway. You know, got old times sake

Sinistar

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14567 on: January 27, 2015, 03:52:55 AM »
Let me ask this then. What do you guys think are the chances of old paragon employees helping out? Assuming none of them are involved in the effort anyway. You know, got old times sake

Offhand I'd say slim to none.  They have all likely moved on to other things in life and may not have the time or desire to work on a revived CoH or the revival project. 

There is also the possibility that NCSoft may consider certain paragon personnel to be persona non grata and may not want them involved in the revival deal or working on the revived game.
In fearful COH-less days
In Raging COH-less nights
With Strong Hearts Full, we shall UNITE!
When all seems lost in the effort to bring CoH back to life,
Look to Cyberspace, where HOPE burns bright!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #14568 on: January 27, 2015, 07:16:41 AM »
I know at least one of them(former devs) is helping with the animations for valiance online.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #14569 on: January 27, 2015, 01:17:40 PM »
Offhand I'd say slim to none.  They have all likely moved on to other things in life and may not have the time or desire to work on a revived CoH or the revival project. 

There is also the possibility that NCSoft may consider certain paragon personnel to be persona non grata and may not want them involved in the revival deal or working on the revived game.

Once the deal is complete, they'd have no say in the matter.

darkgob

• Elite Boss
« Reply #14570 on: January 27, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
Once the deal is complete, they'd have no say in the matter.

...unless it's part of the deal.  Which I do think is unlikely.

r00tb0ySlim

• Boss
« Reply #14571 on: January 27, 2015, 03:46:14 PM »
Does Nexon have any influence at all regarding NCsoft moves being that they are a major share holder?

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #14572 on: January 27, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
...unless it's part of the deal.  Which I do think is unlikely.

Short of them actually vetting every single person that works on it after the deal is done, how would they even know?

Felderburg

• Ask me how I got this title!
  • Elite Boss
  • Personal text? What's that?
« Reply #14573 on: January 27, 2015, 10:26:06 PM »
Short of them actually vetting every single person that works on it after the deal is done, how would they even know?

Most companies have personnel records. Assuming there's no drastic name changes, a clause that simply says "let us look at personnel records every once in a while" should do the trick. No need to do "vetting," just get a peon to compare lists.
I used CIT before they even joined the Titan network! But then I left for a long ol' time, and came back. Now I edit the wiki.

I'm working on sorting the Lore AMAs so that questions are easily found and linked: http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Lore_AMA/Sorted Tell me what you think!

Pinnacle: The only server that faceplants before a fight! Member of the Pinnacle RP Congress (People's Elf of the CCCP); formerly @The Holy Flame

FloatingFatMan

• An Offal
  • Elite Boss
  • Kheldian's Forever!
« Reply #14574 on: January 27, 2015, 11:10:28 PM »
Most companies have personnel records. Assuming there's no drastic name changes, a clause that simply says "let us look at personnel records every once in a while" should do the trick. No need to do "vetting," just get a peon to compare lists.

I've never heard of such a ridiculous clause, and doubt such a thing would even be legal.

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #14575 on: January 28, 2015, 12:19:45 AM »

who uses the word peon seriously

Lucretia MacEvil

« Reply #14576 on: January 28, 2015, 02:15:00 AM »
From the classical-music side, I nominate Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" from his 9th Symphony.

What about the "Hallelujah Chorus" from Handel's Messiah?

Mageman

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14577 on: January 28, 2015, 02:28:23 AM »
I have a friend who also played CoX before shutdown. He thinks NCSoft is one big bully. They've taken away a toy from a child in a playground. Now they're waving it in front of him, telling him to do things to get his toy back. But they never do give it back, until someone bigger comes around and forces them. They'll just play "keep away" until they're bored then they'll throw the toy up a tree where no-one can get to it. And right now, NCSoft has lots of people running around trying to jump through their hoops. When does it end? I'm starting to agree with him.

If NCSoft was really interested in the money, they would have sold it to Paragon Studios. The longer they wait, the less it's worth and thus the less likely they're going to sell it. Also, the longer they wait, the harder it will be to restore the game and/or find all the pieces. Like trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together.
My Reality:
#1 I love my wife!
#2 I miss CoX!
#3 Refer to rule #1!
#4 I seem to have an itch!

Whatelse73

• Minion
« Reply #14578 on: January 28, 2015, 03:23:04 AM »

If NCSoft was really interested in the money, they would have sold it to Paragon Studios. The longer they wait, the less it's worth and thus the less likely they're going to sell it. Also, the longer they wait, the harder it will be to restore the game and/or find all the pieces. Like trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together.

Its not always about the money, especially with a Korean corporation/business.  I'm sure there is much more to it than that.  But, from what we've heard things are progressing well and we're just waiting for the official word of "here's when it'll belong to 'us' and here's when we'll start the servers back up again."

rebel 1812

• Boss
« Reply #14579 on: January 28, 2015, 03:30:24 AM »
Does Nexon have any influence at all regarding NCsoft moves being that they are a major share holder?

That just means they would have influence at the board level.  Everyone raise their hand who knows the board of directors for their company.