Author Topic: New efforts!  (Read 7281611 times)

Arcana

• Sultaness of Stats
  • Elite Boss
Re: New efforts!
« Reply #16480 on: April 18, 2015, 01:15:48 AM »
I have to ask, did anyone ever just wish for a supernova just to be a butt?  Or maybe for Superman to drop the moon on someone/thing?

People would sometimes wish for the world to be destroyed in some fashion.  The presumption was always that such wishes failed not because they didn't work, but because such wishes attempted to perform acts that large numbers of other more powerful beings had a stake in seeing not happen and could undo instantly.  Used in that way, a wish was like Yosemite Sam trying to save the Alamo.  Not only is it not going to work, you'll attract a lot of attention you don't want besides.

The cosmology of D&D contained a huge number of incredibly powerful beings capable of granting, much less using, wishes.  The fact that the world still exists with so many things that could destroy it walking around suggests its not as easy to do as just making a wish.

AlphaFerret

• Boss
« Reply #16481 on: April 18, 2015, 01:24:50 AM »
I once was running a Stormbringer campaign, and one of the players (upon suffering a massive/debilitating critical) used that game's version of a wish to be teleported to the best doctors  in the world.  Unfortunately for him, he was a human character, and as anyone who is familiar with the Stormbringer universe knows, the top docs reside on the island of Melnibone.  The ending was not pretty.....

BraveStar

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16482 on: April 18, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
I once was running a Stormbringer campaign, and one of the players (upon suffering a massive/debilitating critical) used that game's version of a wish to be teleported to the best doctors  in the world.  Unfortunately for him, he was a human character, and as anyone who is familiar with the Stormbringer universe knows, the top docs reside on the island of Melnibone.  The ending was not pretty.....

Certainly we can keep you alive! By the way, how's your singing voice?

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #16483 on: April 18, 2015, 04:42:19 PM »

I believe I would have let that one work as intended. It doesn't sound over powered at all.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16484 on: April 18, 2015, 05:40:13 PM »
I believe I would have let that one work as intended. It doesn't sound over powered at all.

I'm not familiar with the universe but, the way it's described it seems like AlphaFerret pulled a deconstruction:  "Ok so your best doctors are not human, so they are unfamiliar with human anatomy."  It makes me think of McCoy in the "Undiscovered Country", he couldn't save the Klingon ambassador due to his not knowing Klingon anatomy.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

ivanhedgehog

• New Efforts # 25,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16485 on: April 18, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
I'm not familiar with the universe but, the way it's described it seems like AlphaFerret pulled a deconstruction:  "Ok so your best doctors are not human, so they are unfamiliar with human anatomy."  It makes me think of McCoy in the "Undiscovered Country", he couldn't save the Klingon ambassador due to his not knowing Klingon anatomy.

In stormbringer the best doctors are in melnibone, and the specialize in creating pain. symphonies of slave being tortured to make music from them. they would keep him alive..for a while

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16486 on: April 18, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »
That's if you're using the old-school rules, where Wishes were basically allowed to anything and GM's were all but encouraged to screw over the players for trying to use them even if they weren't trying to do something outrageous.  As of 3rd Edition, no real worries with Wishes.  If anything, they're handy to keep around as a "wildcard spell" backup in case the chips are down and you haven't prepared the spell that will save your party from an imminent TPK.

Well, the version of D&D tht I have played the most is an amalgam of 1st and 2nd edition rules. No one that I have played with really likes anything that's come out after 2nd edition. also, the GM (or DM) that I have usually had the (mis)fortune of playing with, makes a point of picking one character and royally screwing him (or her (usually me)) over. Fortunately, I've never had a character that has progressed far enough (or been lucky enough) to acquire wishes. Although, I did hear a story about his son's character who had succeeded at a task well enough that he was granted one correct answer to any question. his son asked if he could save it for later. The answer was, of course, "No". So, I figure, if I had acquired a wish, I would have had to think VERY hard about what I wanted and how I phrased the wish in order to lessen the chances of being turned into a gnat or something.
Hope never abandons you, you abandon it. - George Weinberg

Hope ... is not a feeling; it is something you do. - Katherine Paterson

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Joshex

• [citation needed]
  • Elite Boss
    • my talk page
« Reply #16487 on: April 18, 2015, 09:34:19 PM »
In stormbringer the best doctors are in melnibone, and the specialize in creating pain. symphonies of slave being tortured to make music from them. they would keep him alive..for a while

and that's why you never use a wish to put yourself at the mercy of something else.
There is always another way. But it might not work exactly like you may desire.

A wise old rabbit once told me "Never give-up!, Trust your instincts!" granted the advice at the time led me on a tripped-out voyage out of an asteroid belt, but hey it was more impressive than a bunch of rocks and space monkies.

LaughingAlex

• Giggling like an
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16488 on: April 18, 2015, 09:38:41 PM »

Ahhh, hehehehe. That would explain it.  Thats rather cruel, LOL.
Currently; Not doing any streaming, found myself with less time available recently.  Still playing starbound periodically, though I am thinking of trying other games.  Don't tell me to play mmohtg's though please :).  Getting back into participating in VO and the successors again to.

Isotope

• Underling
« Reply #16489 on: April 19, 2015, 12:00:06 AM »
I can't figure out what you all are talking about

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16490 on: April 19, 2015, 05:18:55 AM »
Just don't "wish" that you knew what we were all talking about. You might end up who knows where doing who knows what with who knows whom for who knows why who knows when.  :o

I think that covered the 5 W's of reporting...who knows.  ;D

Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy. - Cynthia Nelms

Von Krieger

• Evil Emperor of German Chocolate
  • Boss
  • Silly Dragon
    • VK's FurAffinity Page
« Reply #16491 on: April 19, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
the reason I say main enemy name is there are way too many D& D rulebooks based off other media, I think there's even a star wars D&D out there. shame there's no CoX D&D. OR IS THERE?!

Star Wars had an edition or two that was based off of the 3.5 DnD rules framework, generally known as D20.

There are several other games that also use the D20 system. Mutants and Masterminds, for example, is a superhero themed RPG that uses the D20 system, though it's not exactly like DnD and has drifted away from the DnD 3.5 more and more as editions have gone on.

But I have the conversion documents on a hard drive somewhere that lets you convert DnD critters/characters over to the MnM system with minimal effort.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:55:38 AM by Hellkat »

Surelle

« Reply #16492 on: April 19, 2015, 01:51:17 PM »

They're referencing Dungeons and Dragons board games, where a player would ask the Dungeon Master (person running the game) for a wish of that player's choosing to be granted.

Hilarity often ensues.  ;)

By the way, at the top of this Hail Mary part of the forums, Codewalker has pinned a "wake me up when there's news about CoX coming back" thread.  You can read it and sign up for an email alert should the zombie rez of i23 CoX (and/or the IP lease of CoX for spiritual successor purposes) ever actually happen, if it makes you confused reading through these other threads.

We're all just really drumming our fingers on our desks and hoping some news springs up at some point; if there really was new news, it would likely have its own thread anyway.  We're just killing time waiting while talking about CoX and gaming-related issues meantime here.  Don't let us bother you.   :)

Remaugen

• Elite Boss
  • Android Clan of One
« Reply #16493 on: April 19, 2015, 04:42:20 PM »
There was a fansite that posted an M&M D20/OGL City of Heroes conversion, but the site has disappeared. You might be able to find something at the Mutants & Masterminds forums.

Eden Studios had the license for an "Official" City of Heroes RPG using "Unisystem" rules. But the license has lapsed and the game is no longer available. It was sold digitally so there maybe some .PDFs floating around.

Edit:  The Quick Play CoH rules are still available free from Eden Studios at DrivethruRPG(dot)com. . .
We're almost there!  ;D

The RNG hates me.

Tubbius

• Fun Title
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16494 on: April 19, 2015, 08:49:13 PM »
For fun, insert Atlas Park entry music here.  Dum da dum, dum da da dummmmm. . . .

Twisted Toon

• New Efforts # 13,000!
  • Elite Boss
« Reply #16495 on: April 19, 2015, 10:03:40 PM »
Star Wars had an edition or two that was based off of the 3.5 DnD rules framework, generally known as D20.

I prefer the original edition of the Star Wars RPG, before WotC got a hold of it.

Although, I would have made a couple of tweaks to the way the Force was done. Treat Control, Sense, and Alter as attributes, and each force power as a skill. It just makes more sense to do it that way. Although, it a tad more complicated.

MWRuger

• New Efforts # 1,000!
  • Elite Boss
  • The Devil is in the details! Quick! Get him out!
« Reply #16496 on: April 19, 2015, 10:28:33 PM »

What I mean is, that wish was pretty reasonable. He got screwed by dice and wished to basically undo. That is a pretty safe use of the wish because all it does is restore the status quo, not overturn it. A wish isn't much of a reward or a prize if they are never useful.

I would certainly let a party undergoing TPK wish it away, so to speak, not mention just one guy who needed one.
AKA TheDevilYouKnow
Return of CoH - Oh My God! It looks like it can happen!

umber

• Boss
    • My CoH Characters
« Reply #16497 on: April 20, 2015, 01:59:28 AM »
People would sometimes wish for the world to be destroyed in some fashion.  The presumption was always that such wishes failed not because they didn't work, but because such wishes attempted to perform acts that large numbers of other more powerful beings had a stake in seeing not happen and could undo instantly.

That reminds me, just how asleep at the wheel was Mystryl to let a mortal pull off that steal-my-divinity stunt?

GenericHero05

• New Efforts # 7,000!
  • Boss
« Reply #16498 on: April 20, 2015, 05:30:53 AM »
Something wonderful is coming.
If I was a Jedi, there's a 100% chance that I'd use The Force inappropriately.

MegaWatt

• Boss
  • No i didnt call security bots......uh oh!
« Reply #16499 on: April 20, 2015, 06:21:51 AM »
its ponies isnt it.....those arent wonderful they crap everywhere !
If we set it on fire it'll burn....but that'd leave evidence...I KNOW ! COMPLETE ATOMIZATION! WOOOO!